NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2002, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Default Allegheny Card Co.

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Can someone post more info. on this set?
SCBC prices are pretty high and the one on eBay is the first one I've seen so far.

JL

Old 01-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It is a McGinnity. I understand there is one set of these (as already discussed). The set has made the rounds after being broken up. I believe Bill Mastro had it then it changed hands a few times and Kevin Struss had some of them. I got mine from Terry Knouse who had quite a few of them. Kevin told me that he considers them all proofs and they were hand cut. Nice pictures and a nice looking back. Very nice set for type collectors like myself. Sorry I don't have more concrete info.....this set has been discussed on this or the Fullcount board before but I don't remember all of the specifics....regards

Old 01-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I believe Leon is correct when he says these have "made the rounds." I, too, have one (Duff Cooley) which I got from SportscardsPlus (who, I believe, got them from Lew Lipset) almost two years ago for considerably less than the one currentlly being offered on eBay by Terry Knouse.

Most of whatever is common knowledge today about the set is conjecture. People assume it was going to be a card game of some sort because of the design, but with no markings other than the player/team/league stuff on the card, I'm not sure what you could have played. The cards are also on fairly thin stock (more like Walter Mails than the later playing cards like Fan Craze, Polo Grounds, Tom Barker) and no one knows if this was going to be the "production" style or just a mock up to be produced later on heavier stock. It is also odd that only the National League is represented, again leading to speculation that a parallel American League version might later have been developed had this one proved successful. Like the Breisch Williams, because of the timing there were players available in this set not to be found anywhere else.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I bought my Kid Gleason for 499, and then a few months later. Sports Cards Plus called me and said they were reducing the price by 100 dollars--but there weren't any others i wanted. They are DEFINITELY hand cut--and the less important the player (at the time), the more carelessly they are cut. Kid Gleason was a nobody, who'd not yet told Cicotte to put soap on his ball, or Weaver to try batting from both sides of the plate, so it's somewhat uneven. The Wagner, the Tinker etc. which I'ver seen pictures of, are much more carefully c
cut.

And now, over a year later SCD guide 2002 says the commons should go for $900. Go figure.

It is nice to have a one-of-akind card, though.

Julie

Old 01-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I bought my Kid Gleason for 499, and then a few months later. Sports Cards Plus called me and said they were reducing the price by 100 dollars--but there weren't any others i wanted. They are DEFINITELY hand cut--and the less important the player (at the time), the more carelessly they are cut. Kid Gleason was a nobody, who'd not yet told Cicotte to put soap on his ball, or Weaver to try batting from both sides of the plate, so it's somewhat uneven. The Wagner, the Tinker etc. which I'ver seen pictures of, are much more carefully c
cut.

And now, over a year later SCD guide 2002 says the commons should go for $900. Go figure.

It is nice to have a one-of-akind card, though.

Julie

Old 01-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

I bought the Mordecai Brown card from Terry a few months ago. I bought it because Brown is not in the E107 Breisch Williams set, so I consider this to be his Rookie Card, and it's the only one in existance (like the Just So Jesse Burkett that I wish I owned). To the best of my knowledge, it is also the only Brown card that lists him with St. Louis.

Old 01-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

Sorry Andy, you got ripped.

That's not Three Fingers Brown ... it's his predecessor, Two Fingers Brown.

You were SO close.

Old 01-14-2002, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Old 01-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

The one I am most interested in is Manager Frank Selee -- I checked and Terry K. didn't have it.
Although it may be rather expensive (it's his only card that I am aware of) I would be interested in knowing who has it in case they ever decide to move it.
I think I asked the old (full-count) board about this before ... Does anyone out there know who owns that card?