NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default question of pop report

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Once in a while, that glorious rag SCD encloses a SMR.
From what I have seen, once in a while, they will include the most obvious card from one or two of the most obvious 19th century sets. This doesn't stop at 1900, either. T06s will show only some Hall of Famers; T202, the Cobbs.

I just got a PSA 4 Kelly Old Judge from Jay. For one thing, the card is not held in any sort of frame; it's free-floating in a bag inside the plastic case. For another, I can't see ANYTHING wrong with the card. The photo is clear; the back is clean. The corners are sharp--not razor sharp, but they come to points.

So now someone who reads SMR answer the question...:)

Old 01-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

leon , they are slooooooowly adding some particular stuff you enjoy collecting. The only problem is
a) they do not get enough of these great cards to grade to justify the columns they need to list them
B) they do not know how to grade them!
c) you own and have submitted to SGC* too many of the ones that would create enough populous to get them listed in reports.
and
d) they only have one guy who can grade and/or identify the obscure and rare cards without covering up their voices on the phone and calling SGC & 10 knowledgeable dealers and sending them scan under home e-mail addresses to not disclose their ignorance.....et.. you get the drift cowboy?

Old 01-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Sounds like you're suggesting that Leon should start his own poulation report. LMR

Old 01-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am sure that I am not the cause of the lack of a good pop report of obscure and really old cards. I have a few nice things but surely not enough to cause a business strategy for anyone.....I guess I could have thought about Seth's "collectors" report on his site although it doesn't give grades. Since SMR is PSA I guess that would exclude a lot of nice stuff that many of us have in SGC holders. Crap. I wish there were a way to figure out how to see what was out there with grades. This question came to mind when I was speaking with Jay yesterday and he gave me the "mine's better than yours" schpeel....about a '69 Peck & Snyder. (just kiddin' Jay)...and I don't frequent bathrooms in other parts of the country Jay... and thanks for the heads up, Halley, about the rascals on the board talking about me behind my back....I believe if you can tape something (isn't anything you are a party to able to be taped?) I might have some kind of civil case....and maybe sue for some cards or something....just rambling on a Saturday morning....and Brian....sell some of those paintings and coins and buy some more cards so you can have dupes and sell me some caramel's......regards all..

Old 01-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Easy question folks. I don't take the SMR/population reports or any other market reports right now ..(only VCBC..come on Don...we're pullin'for ya').....anyway, does the pop report have obscure 19th Century issues in it? Lone Jack, G & B, Peck & Snyder...etc..ya'll get the idea? regards all......(I was bored and curious)

Old 01-12-2002, 11:52 AM
Administrator

You're being too modest. I hear Lew Lipset didn't even know what was a Four Base Hits until you let him sneek a peek in your shoebox.

Old 01-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Leon, if it's any help, I've never owned a Four Base Hits or Peck & Snyder Trade Card (partially as I enjoy eating)-- so the DMR says neither of those cards exist.

Old 01-12-2002, 12:32 PM
Administrator

On a recent vacation I bought a copy of PSA's SMR at a small town grocery store (I also bought a Tuff Stuff and a box of cookies-- mmm). Due to ignorance on graded card prices, I will recuse myself from commenting on the trading card section. I will say that the prices in their autograph price guide section are way over inflated. There is no way in heck (pardon the language, but it is the weekend and I'm on my second cup of Earl Grey) you can sell a Roberto Alomar autographed index card for $25, Hank Aaron index card for $35 or Joe Carter index card for $15. I wonder if they inflate the prices to justify the sale prices of the dealers that they own. I do know a couple of people who work for Collector's Universe (parent company) and have strong and deserved respect for them. However, the SMR, though often containing a some interesting articles, is basically a great big advertisment for their product.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

The reason the card is encapsulated , "free floating" is because it was considered Oversized! I have had this happen recently on some N-72's and they ( PSA ) are well aware of the problem with them scooting around in the plastic and causing corner problems! Just keep it in a stable place devoid of Earthquakes !

Old 01-12-2002, 04:16 PM
Administrator

I am pretty sure my Four Base Hits came from Mr.Lipset's collection. Since it is also pictured in his "Encyclopedia" gives it more credence he was the owner....(and the person I bought it from told me he got it from him).....regards all..

Old 01-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Leon

The FBH Kelly was lot #44 on Lipset "Anson-Ewing" February 25, 1999 auction.
MB was $5000.
According to description, only 3 were known at the time.

Did you receive the Copeland info. I sent you by mail?

JL

Old 01-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The card is UNDERSIZED, about 1/4 inch. It's perfectly proportioned. But I gfuess what applies to oversozed also applies to undersized