NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2002, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default US Caramel Lindstrom

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Wasn't L.F selling both Lindstroms at about $170k in past sale catalogs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1060203476

Also, want to hear thoughts about SCD grading

JL

Old 01-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I am not a fan of SCD grading...I think it is merely a convenient outlet for Larry Fritsch to get his cards graded.

Their cards seem to be generally overgraded, with two gimmicks that greatly annoy me. First is the "untouched" designation for any card that is graded straight from a pack. (no -- they do not authenticate the pack). The second is the grade of 11 -- for cards that are simply too strong for a GEM MINT 10 grade.

I can think of only two dealers who have even used SCD's services besides Fritsch. Fritsch used SCD because they gave him a sweet deal (including a TON of free advertising in SCD publications). Most Fritsch cards are either bought by uninformed collectors or by collectors who are going to crack them out of their holders and try to get a similar grade from PSA or SGC.

Their website for grading is supposed to be:
http://scdabeta/default_krause.asp

but I cannot get it to work.

Also, isn't it Joe Merkle who is behind SCD's grading? If memory serves me correctly, he left SGC under the most auspicious of circumstances.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

he had them both for sale for $174,900,though the one up for auction is much nicer than the other....the other one has a punchhole,and stamp mark on the back
As far as SCD grading,i would like to see what kind of grades some of the cards Larry had in his catalog got,compared to what he described them as...if they give the same grades he did,you know theres something wrong with SCD,and if they give worse grades it might alienate one of their best customers....i see their deal with Fritsch as a no win deal,he might be one of the biggest dealers but everyone knows he overgrades cards,and it suprises me they graded anything vintage from him,i thought it would be all newer cards and basically nothing worse than 9's just to avoid what i mentioned above

Old 01-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have only bought about 20 cards from Fritsch. Bad news is I had to send about 5 back because of unbelieveable overgrading. The 15 I kept were ALL just regularly overgraded (1-2 grades)....Good news is I learned my lesson......I will say, however, that they gave me refunds with absolutely NO questions asked. Unlike some other dealers...ie Broadway xxx (whatever his alias is today).....best regards all

Old 01-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

My experience with Larry is about th same.

I've kept about 75% of what I ordered and sent the rest back. At least he accepts returns no questions asked and so far hasn't banned me from ordering from him beause I did return cards.

Old 01-09-2002, 02:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

The "untouched" thing is idiotic, clearly a dumb idea that was not filtered out by a person with some sense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1059995501

That is some very bad centering on an 8.

bruce

Old 01-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Hey, go easy on SCD. Be thankful. . .

We had to guess which big name/high volume dealers SGC and PSA were giving special treatment to.

SCD is quite open about which dealers get special treatment.

Old 01-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I would occasionally buy Colgans from him, but only in nr-mint (I did buy a red border Speaker, ex+, which i sent back because the whole surface of the card was red--you could barely see speaker. At this point, I got a letter from Fritsch, saying, why didn't I send him a list of the Colgans I had, and he would tell me what he had for sale that I didn't have-- in nice shape. I had about 100 at the time, so that was time consuming. I clearly wrote on the page, "these are the Colgans I have." A month later, i got a curt note from him saying, no, thanks, he didn't need any of the cards I had written down.

Which reminds me, do you think maybe Mastro is spreading himself too thin? Could contribute to careless authentication.

Julie

Old 01-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Along that vein, I would be very interested to hear if anyone on this board did invest in the private placement offering that Mastro was putting together last year. And, if so, either what the results have been or whether their expectations were met.

Marc

Old 01-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I hate to say it, but Pete's right again.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Also, want to hear thoughts about SCD grading >>

At the last Rosemont, IL show I was able to view several SCD cards. If you are used to PSA / SGC type grading, expect them to be .5 - 1 grade off. Granted, my viewing sample was small but that is all I have to work with at this moment.

On a side-note, the Lindstrom is going to tank - no way it's going to come close to 80k.

Lastly, Marc pointed out the "deal" - one has to wonder if that was enough to off-set the realized prices being poor.