NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Card Flippers List on NET54

Does anybody have a list of known card flippers here on NET54? After missing out on a T206 Speaker on the BST board the other day that I wanted to fill a hole in my collection, I was disappointed to see the card appear on eBay within a week for $200 more than the BST sales price.

I'm not claiming anything dishonest occurred here. But as an occasional seller through the BST I would prefer not to sell to known flippers.

Does anybody have a list I can put on my "blocked buyers" list?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Ben North

I would guess most members are flippers to some degree. I know if I see a card cheap I can resell for more I will buy it. I see nothing wrong with flippers as long as they don't lie to get the card. I know when someone begs for a lower price because it is their favorite player(or any BS story) then relists it for more I will never sell to them again.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Tony Quinn

If someone buys a card for a set price, isn't it their's to do with what they please? I don't understand the OP's complaint. Sour grapes because you didn't get what you wanted? Not trying to start a fight but that's a ridiculous complaint. Are we all supposed to declare our intentions on every purchase from now on? Someone got something at a good price and is trying to make a profit. This is still The United States of America last I checked.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
If someone buys a card for a set price, isn't it their's to do with what they please? I don't understand the OP's complaint. Sour grapes because you didn't get what you wanted? Not trying to start a fight but that's a ridiculous complaint. Are we all supposed to declare our intentions on every purchase from now on? Someone got something at a good price and is trying to make a profit. This is still The United States of America last I checked.
What about sellers who say they need to sell the card to pay for medication yet its listed week after week. I never cared anyones reasons
Old 07-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Mark Fox

I think once you start down this road, you will find yourself getting into some really grey areas. For example how long must someone hold a card before they try to sell it, where you would no longer consider it a flip? To the OP, hi Brian, you obviously don't think a couple weeks is sufficient, so what if someone holds a card for 1 month before selling it, is that a long enough time? Or maybe 6 months would be sufficient? What about 1 year?

There are very few things that I purchase, that I would not resell if I net a profit by selling it. Sometimes that is measured in years, but sometimes that has been measured in weeks. Would I be one of those people on your banned list then?

And is this not the business model that each and every single card dealer out there utilizes? They buy cards cheap to sell for a profit.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would guess most members are flippers to some degree. I know if I see a card cheap I can resell for more I will buy it. I see nothing wrong with flippers as long as they don't lie to get the card. I know when someone begs for a lower price because it is their favorite player(or any BS story) then relists it for more I will never sell to them again.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Yes, Ben, I guess I'm a flipper of some degree. However, my typical sale is a card that I have held for over five years.

So you can call me a tortoise flipper if you choose.

Hare flippers who list before their mail is delivered, particularly when some form of deceit or collusion is involved in their purchase from me (and this can happen here on good ol' Net 54), rankle me as well though. I doubt that this thread will generate a list though, but I have one.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I doubt that this thread will generate a list though, but I have one.
Honest Frank that story I told you to get a better price was true. That T206 Jim Scott is being displayed nicely at the place I instantly flipped it to.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Clarification

To all.

I fully accept the principals of capitalism. And I understand that every card purchased will at some point most likely be resold either by the buyer or their heirs. Collecting focuses change. Financial situations change. People upgrade. I get it.

All of which misses the point of my question. In this case a card was relisted in eBay within days of being offered here. Probably the same day it arrived in the mail. So clearly this is an opportunity for somebody to make a buck.

When I sell I PREFER that the buyer want the card, not the profit. I don't sell often. This is not a business for me. When I sell here I generally list for 10-20% below eBay to account for fees I won't be paying. When I get several I'll take it responses I'd prefer to skip over those looking to make a buck. It's an imperfect request.

As for the card in question, if the net54 seller had asked $100 more for the card I might own it today because there might not have been enough profit for a flipper to go after. He didn't. Somebody got a GREAT deal. And I continue to search for that card. I'll get it. Just not this week or from this eBay seller.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 07-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

I don't think publicly calling out members for buying then reselling a card is appropriate at all. Reneging on a deal or committing some sort of fraud is one thing. I would have no problem creating a list of buyers or sellers who actually did something wrong in a transaction. This doesn't qualify in my opinion.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
If someone buys a card for a set price, isn't it their's to do with what they please? I don't understand the OP's complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't think publicly calling out members for buying then reselling a card is appropriate at all. Reneging on a deal or committing some sort of fraud is one thing. I would have no problem creating a list of buyers or sellers who actually did something wrong in a transaction. This doesn't qualify in my opinion.

Fully in agreement with these statements. I believe it to be poor form to be selective about who you are selling to for the above reasons. If I buy card A, card A now belongs to me. Thus, wouldn't I have the privilege of doing whatever I would like to with it?
NJ Dunkin

Last edited by njdunkin1; 07-15-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: name added
Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM
N
Banned

Gently just trying to face the facts. If you are unwilling to sell to "flippers", where do you draw the line? Who qualifies as a flipper?
Old 07-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Fully in agreement with these statements. I believe it to be poor form to be selective about who you are selling to for the above reasons. If I buy card A, card A now belongs to me. Thus, wouldn't I have the privilege of doing whatever I would like to with it?
NJ Dunkin
You can do whatever you want with a card you purchase...correct. But why can't the OP DO THE SAME? If he currently owns card A, then doesn't he have a right to do WHAT HE CHOOSES WITH IT? And in this case, he's clearly stated he doesn't want to sell to quick flippers. So please let's stop with the hypocrisy.... If you "have the privilege of doing whatever" you would like with the cards you own, its funny that you have no problem judging that its "poor form to be selective about who you are selling to", when it comes to what someone ELSE wants to do with THEIR cards.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I agree. I really don't even understand the concern, if you want to avoid flippers, charge a price where someone can't flip. But if you get your price, who cares if the buyer keeps the card or flips it?

PS If you gave someone a break on price in reliance on a lie, then that's another matter.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-15-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I agree. I really don't even understand the concern, if you want to avoid flippers, charge a price where someone can't flip. But if you get your price, who cares if the buyer keeps the card or flips it?

PS If you gave someone a break on price in reliance on a lie, then that's another matter.
I always make it clear I am buying for resale. Ask anyone who's turned down my offers!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Joaquin

Guess I'm in the minority here but I agree with the OP.

This type of action goes against the spirit of the board, if everybody behaved like a 'flipper' then nobody would offer items in B/S/T at community friendly/generous prices and would go straight to eBay themselves to sell for maximum reward.

Not seeing the item currently up for sale in eBay so maybe the 'flipper' recognized he did something wrong and/or is feeling remorse?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingale View Post

This type of action goes against the spirit of the board, if everybody behaved like a 'flipper' then nobody would offer items in B/S/T at community friendly/generous prices and would go straight to eBay themselves to sell for maximum reward.

Not seeing the item currently up for sale in eBay so maybe the 'flipper' recognized he did something wrong and/or is feeling remorse?
Is "remorse" code for "angry wife"?
Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
Is "remorse" code for "angry wife"?
It was once in my case, though it was a girlfriend and not a wife. Just as angry, though.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM
And*y Quig!ey

Quote:

I think you make a good point about the idea of a collecting community.

I wouldn't pretend to speak for the OP or anyone else, but I can understand a seller preferring to sell to a fellow collector within a loose community of collectors who, presumably, expects to keep the card for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Flipping

Good luck. I would guess that most of us buy and sell to essentially fund part of our hobby collection. Certainly I do and have sold to many people who buy here and list on ebay.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

"As for the card in question, if the net54 seller had asked $100 more for the card I might own it today because there might not have been enough profit for a flipper to go after. He didn't. Somebody got a GREAT deal. And I continue to search for that card. I'll get it. Just not this week or from this eBay seller."

The guy who bought here and is selling on eBay is obviously a member. If you were willing to pay an extra $100, then offer it DIRECTLY TO HIM ON N54. He saves on ebay fees and makes a$100 profit. Not sure he would be too anxious to help you out after you started this thread, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by orly57; 07-15-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Selling cards

99% of the time a card is sold because the seller needs money.
So who gives a crap what the fate of the sold card is as long as you get the price you accepted.
I don't get this post, it's kind of comical to me.

The things are cardboard, a commodity.
Everything in life has a price, does it matter if it's 5 minutes after receiving the item in the mail or 5 years later?

There are enough things in this world to worry about.
Wondering what happens to a card after you sell it should not be one of them.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Dave Foster

Anytime I've sold a card and gotten a price I was happy with, I don't really care if the the new owner flips it or wipes his ass with it. It's his to do with as he wishes. This is akin to selling a '52T Mantle 20 years ago for a fraction of what one would sell for today, and now crying in your beer cuz you didn't get the same price. PLEASE!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:38 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
"As for the card in question, if the net54 seller had asked $100 more for the card I might own it today because there might not have been enough profit for a flipper to go after. He didn't. Somebody got a GREAT deal. And I continue to search for that card. I'll get it. Just not this week or from this eBay seller."

The guy who bought here and is selling on eBay is obviously a member. If you were willing to pay an extra $100, then offer it DIRECTLY TO HIM ON N54. He saves on ebay fees and makes a$100 profit. Not sure he would be too anxious to help you out after you started this thread, but it's worth a shot.
Why? Nobody has mentioned the name of the flipper in this thread. And only people who know which member uses that eBay account have that information. I know who it was and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:

+1
I have received some nice deals on this board while I have built my collection. Without fail, I am told by the seller (normally 70+ looking to pare down as the kids have no interest and he doesn't want to burden the wife) that they want to sell to a collector vs someone will just flip them. I have tried before to sell at a decent price looking to help in similar fashion. This has been usually met with additional haggling, someone claiming shipping issues and asking for a "partial refund" even after I offer to take it back 100% and I would pay shipping back, and then seeing the same cards on eBay at the price I could have charged anyway.

It is the reason why I now sit in hundreds of duplicates of stars that I would just as soon just let sit in the safe versus put them on here and deal with any of the above.

I am more than happy to help anyone with their collection and have given cards away on more than one occasion. And I would rather do that than have someone build their profit on my back. If that is the case, I would just as well post it on eBay or consign. To each their own and it probably goes back to my horror story at 8 years old and getting taken advantage of by a dealer but to say that I don't enjoy the horse trading component of the hobby is an understatement

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 07-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Does anybody have a list of known card flippers here on NET54? After missing out on a T206 Speaker on the BST board the other day that I wanted to fill a hole in my collection, I was disappointed to see the card appear on eBay within a week for $200 more than the BST sales price.

I'm not claiming anything dishonest occurred here. But as an occasional seller through the BST I would prefer not to sell to known flippers.

Flipper or not, once you own the card you can do whatever you please. It's certainly your right. The other day I saw beautiful 1933 Goudey cards I wanted, but the guy was on the shill bidder list, so I reluctantly passed on buying anything ever from him. To each their own I suppose.

I mean, if there is a single dealer on this site, they are a flipper. They find a buyer and a seller and play middle man and take the spread. I didn't know buying a card low and selling it high was a crime, whether it's 70 minutes or 70 years. I would be more worried about card burners, card cutters and card counterfeiters.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post

But as an occasional seller through the BST I would prefer not to sell to known flippers.

So what exactly is a "flipper" here? Somebody who buys and immediately lists it for a higher price than what he paid? What if the person decides to do this 6 months or a year down the line? Does that make him a flipper too?