NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Marshawn Lynch fines

Any thoughts on 'Marshawn vs the NFL'?

This sheds some light on the crotch-grab: Marshawn & Gronk with Conan O'Brien
Old 01-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Rob Anderson

My thoughts are that, like any other job, if you don't like the rules, get a different job. He is well paid, but that doesn't matter. If he was making minimum wage, and one of the requirements (in his contract) is that he has to give interviews, then he needs to do that. I actually think that he should be suspended if he continues doing this next season. Make the team suffer, and one of the team leaders will come forward and tell him to get his crap straight.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Todd Schultz

I don't have strong feelings about the refusal to speak, but the crotch grab is bush league. I think he comes off as a jerk, but if that's what he wants or least has to understand will be the perception, then so be it. It bothers me less during Super Bowl week, which is so overdone with inane questions--what's your favorite flavor of jello and who was your second-grade teacher--that sooner or later you can understand the desire to just shut up or read prepared cliches. The guy has given decent interviews in the past so this schtick is not due to some sort of insecurity or discomfort with speaking. Maybe he got burned. Either way, I would have no problem with the media--the world actually--just ignoring him.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A good point I read is that if Lynch doesn't want to answer questions and answers questions with a drone repeated question, why do do members of the press continue to huddle around him and ask him a series of questions? Because they want it to be an ongoing story for their ESPN Op-Ed blogs and sports radio debates. The press is as complicit as Lynch in this tempest in a teapot, and they might be disappointed if he actually started answering questions.

When someone here says Lynch is an entertainer paid a lot of money under contract by the NFL and he should follow the interview rules of employment, I don't dispute that point. It doesn't have to be an either/or argument. Both sides can be acting equally as silly.

Last edited by drcy; 01-30-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Granted, he isn't laying a one-punch KO on his wife, but that doesn't make his actions right either. This is about respecting your employer and your job. If doing publicity comes with the job and you take the job you owe it to your employer to do your freakin' job properly. I mean, when I was employed by a law firm if I went to court for a hearing and said "I'm just here so I don't get my pay docked" instead of actually doing what I was sent there for, I'd be fired in no time, and justifiably so. The biggest stars in Hollywood do their publicity junkets as their contracts require but this dingleberry thinks he's above it? Puh-leeze...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-30-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

I listened to all 5:59 of each of his three days at the podium. The first two days had me cringing in embarrassment for him - despite the excuses that Sherman, Baldwin and Carroll made for his behavior, it came across as childish and pathetic. Lynch isn't the least bit shy, so forget about that angle - but regardless of his reasons, all he had to do was give short answers for five minutes - no one could have twisted anything he said, as long as he kept it short and to the point, he would have fulfilled his obligation, and no one would think any less of him. I like Marshawn, but he should have let the NFL look ridiculous rather than drawing the "Hey look, I'm stupider" attention to himself and away from them.

He was better the third day, in that he sort of explained his actions, although his logic was nonsensical.

As far as the crotch-grabbing, I have no problem with it after watching the Gronk/Conan video. I would rather see a mild-mannered crotch-grab than some of the plain stupid dances some of these guys do. At least he didn't throw away the football
Old 01-30-2015, 02:13 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
This is about respecting your employer and your job. If doing publicity comes with the job and you take the job you owe it to your employer to do your freakin' job properly. I mean, when I was employed by a law firm if I went to court for a hearing and said "I'm just here so I don't get my pay docked" instead of actually doing what I was sent there for, I'd be fired in no time, and justifiably so. The biggest stars in Hollywood do their publicity junkets as their contracts require but this dingleberry thinks he's above it? Puh-leeze...
I personally have no problem with Marshawn...actually I like it. To the point above, I think much of this is driven by the fact the many, if not most of the players don't respect their employer. When I say employer, I mean the NFL, as opposed to the Seattle Seahawks. I'm pretty sure Marshawn respects Pete Carroll, and probably loves most of his teammates... And you can't deny he definitely does to the job he's hired to do, which is carry the football with a fierceness very few if any can match. I think the obligation to speak is sort of silly if a guy really doesn't want to do it. Why didn't the commissioner have to speak for weeks/mths following the Ray Rice and AP incidents? He basically disappeared until things blew over.

Other Seahawks players seem to be fully on board as well. All players defend Marshawn, and Sherman's comments earlier this week I think had less to do with any concern about deflate gate, and much more intended as a direct jab at the commish. None of the other major US sports have as contentious a relationship between league office and the players. When the Ray Rice story hit its low point, players jumped got in line to destroy Goodell.. My favorite was James Harrison who'd been fined many times, tweating- "ain't no fun when the rabbit's got a gun". After years of handing out player conduct suspensions which may often justified, but for which durations seem totally arbitrary... And years of imposing rules changes which show strong favoritism toward protecting super stars, QBs, while dismissing and/or even increasing risk of injury for less important players, the players are fed up (even a punter Chris Kluwe went on an on line revolt against the league a couple years back).

Many players in the league are well payed yes, but most are not rich, nor will they ever be rich. The league/teams use these guys up for what they're worth and spit them out. I love it when guys like Ricky Williams or Tiki Barber can choose to walk away from the game whole, and fans and teams may attack them for being selfish.. However, if/when a guy blows out his knee in OTAs, a team will often make sure cut him before a deadline so they won't be obligated to pay his contract while on IR, and that just "the business". Bill Parcells once cut a guy in the preseason who'd been diagnosed with a sudden life threatening ailment. He could have stuck him on IR, assuring the guy would have a paycheck, and benefits, but he cut him. Apparently only players ever checked in with him in the hospital.

I think the "brotherhood" amongst all players has never been stronger, and I think it's in large part because many view the league office as a common enemy. Crazy enough, I think Kraft's presser, which I saw as a jab aimed directly at Goodell (a guy he'd been key in hiring and protecting through scandal) was IMO maybe in part influenced by the way he's seen players acting out towards the commish. If they don't treat him with respect, why should he?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Crazy enough, I think Kraft's presser, which I saw as a jab aimed directly at Goodell (a guy he'd been key in hiring and protecting through scandal) was IMO maybe in part influenced by the way he's seen players acting out towards the commish. If they don't treat him with respect, why should he?
Goodel's Q&A today was interesting. He made it clear that it was his job to enforce rules, and he also didn't back down in the least about his relationship with Kraft. I think his message to Kraft today was at least as strong as Kraft's was to him. Interestingly, no one asked Goodell about apologizing to Brady and Belichek if they are innocent. His response would have been an equally good message to Kraft, as I'm sure no apology is warranted - investigations either should or shouldn't take place, but a warranted investigation requires no apology, regardless of what is found.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I'll add, from afar it seems like the Seahawks respect and almost champion freedom (on and off field) amongst their players. I think Pete Carroll, and the whole Seattle organization empower their players, and in turn inspire them as individuals, and get great loyalty from them. It's not perfect, nor can it be (Marshawn held out, etc), but in the NFL machine, it's seems pretty amazing. As a Niner fan I am pretty envious. Jed York and his crew don't inspire much of anything now.

The Steelers have had an amazing thing going forever as well, and I think that's top due to been down stability.. 3 coaches in 40+ years and you hear players say the Rooneys treat them with respect and genuinely care about them, their families, etc. IMO, that's the best way to earn true loyalty, and is definitely not the norm in the NFL.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Goodel's Q&A today was interesting. He made it clear that it was his job to enforce rules, and he also didn't back down in the least about his relationship with Kraft. I think his message to Kraft today was at least as strong as Kraft's was to him. Interestingly, no one asked Goodell about apologizing to Brady and Belichek if they are innocent. His response would have been an equally good message to Kraft, as I'm sure no apology is warranted - investigations either should or shouldn't take place, but a warranted investigation requires no apology, regardless of what is found.
Interesting! I'd be much more interested to keep tabs on this spat, than I am to hear disinterested player (even the cooperative ones) spout cliché after cliché. In the end, Goodell cannot win a battle with Kraft, or the other owners... but it makes me wonder if he's getting pressure from other key (in Roger's world there is definitely a pecking order amongst owners, Jed may be last) owners to go after the Pats.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Same here. And I hope the NFL investigation finds no wrong-doing, just so Goodell can defy Kraft by not apologizing.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Dave

I'd take Marshawn on my team in a heartbeat. I love the guy. Plenty of athletes are media whores and like to play up their image and speak to the press as much as possible.

The ones that aren't. Leave them alone if they want to be left alone. Pretty sure Marshawn was recruited for his athletic skills.....not his media skills.

NFL is just making a martyr out of the guy. For those that say "just follow the company line and do what you're told, you're making a lot of money".........is not a way of thinking everybody agrees with.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
NFL is just making a martyr out of the guy. For those that say "just follow the company line and do what you're told, you're making a lot of money".........is not a way of thinking everybody agrees with.
I think you're talking to a straw man here, Dave. No one said that - they said that it's written into his contract, so just do it. He could have spoken for his 5 minute requirement while the "media whores" as you call them, did the full 30 or so. He could have kept it short. He could have fulfilled his contract with no pain. Instead, Marshawn became the media whore - HE is the one who made himself into a martyr. The media is loving it - they have a story. Only the NFL is pissed, and for them it's just a matter of being able to give themselves a crotch grab...kind of ironic, actually.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:43 AM
Dave

Quote:
I think you're talking to a straw man here, Dave. No one said that - they said that it's written into his contract, so just do it. He could have spoken for his 5 minute requirement while the "media whores" as you call them, did the full 30 or so. He could have kept it short. He could have fulfilled his contract with no pain. Instead, Marshawn became the media whore - HE is the one who made himself into a martyr. The media is loving it - they have a story. Only the NFL is pissed, and for them it's just a matter of being able to give themselves a crotch grab...kind of ironic, actually.
Well apparently he disagrees with a blanket clause in his contract (or the NFLPA contract), that he didn't have much of a choice in signing or being a part of if he wanted to drag himself out of the poverty he grew up in.

These guys are basically kids, pulled out of college and thrown into a world foreign to them. Thrown a lot of money and told to grow up and toe the line. That some of them would develop individual personalities that questioned certain things as they got older, should not be a shocker.

I Just saw an E60 episode on Marshawn. He did the crotch grab thingy at the end of a TD run against the Saints in the 2011 Playoffs. Nobody seemed to give a crap then............but now all of a sudden, people are offended.

It's all silly. Most of the drama the NFL creates for itself is fairly silly.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Marshawn Lynch fines

I think Lynch should start answering every question by foaming at the mouth, screaming "BEAST MODE!!!", and then stick the landing with a mean snarl.

Would that not be great?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 01-31-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:51 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I really appreciate this discussion. A lot of great comments which is rare when discussing this topic that most treat as sophomoric. It is a complex topic but because Lynch does not explain his position the public dismisses the legitimacy of it. He has a serious personal offense to how he was treated by members of the media at some point (we presume). If this is how he feels he should and is standing up for what he believes. We are often so quick to criticize people for not conforming because it makes us uncomfortable or defies our norms. If this is how he feels he is right to stand up for himself. Would it be easier if he could - just once - fully articulate why he doesn't want speak? Sure, but that is not what he chooses to do. He doesn't owe us or the media anything. This notion that it is "in his contract" might be true but he is saying he does not agree with that and is standing up for himself because he can. I respect that.

The NFL is a cruel league in many ways. Most of these players (Lynch aside) will never become rich regardless of public perception. They are subject to a merciless system that can put them out of work on a moments notice with no recourse. The idea that they are even obligated by the language of their contracts is even fallacious as the team's frequently renege on contracts and cut the players with no compensation. Many players train year after year and attend months of training camps and barely get paid when they don't make a roster. Not that I have a lot of sympathy; they're playing a game after all. But I fail to understand the sacrosanct nature of the media clause of their contracts.

Last edited by arc2q; 01-31-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Well apparently he disagrees with a blanket clause in his contract (or the NFLPA contract), that he didn't have much of a choice in signing or being a part of if he wanted to drag himself out of the poverty he grew up in.
That's true, and now he can rebel against it, which I think he should. But he's doing so in a very childish way.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
Most of these players (Lynch aside) will never become rich regardless of public perception. They are subject to a merciless system that can put them out of work on a moments notice with no recourse. The idea that they are even obligated by the language of their contracts is even fallacious as the team's frequently renege on contracts and cut the players with no compensation. Many players train year after year and attend months of training camps and barely get paid when they don't make a roster. Not that I have a lot of sympathy; they're playing a game after all. But I fail to understand the sacrosanct nature of the media clause of their contracts.
But Marshawn made it - he IS rich and it's because of the NFL. The NFL wants the big name players who 'made it' to help advertise the NFL by giving the media some time. I bet if they asked him about media clauses in his contract before he ever stepped foot on a pro football field - before he was sure he would make it big in the NFL - he smiled and said "no problem". Now he's a millionaire stud and wants to make his own rules. My guess is that ten years from now we'll be reading interviews with a broke Marshawn Lynch who now talks with the media.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Quote:
But Marshawn made it - he IS rich and it's because of the NFL. The NFL wants the big name players who 'made it' to help advertise the NFL by giving the media some time. I bet if they asked him about media clauses in his contract before he ever stepped foot on a pro football field - before he was sure he would make it big in the NFL - he smiled and said "no problem". Now he's a millionaire stud and wants to make his own rules. My guess is that ten years from now we'll be reading interviews with a broke Marshawn Lynch who now talks with the media.
But Scott, the system mandates that the only players who can speak out are the ones who have made it, who are successful, and have the financial security to risk it. If Lynch was not a star he would be risking immediate loss of employment for speaking out. Heck, many in the media speculated the Seahawks were "tired of his act" and we're going to cut him this year. And he's arguably the best RB in the league! Fringe players who haven't made it need the stars to take a stand for everyone.

Just look at this season. At various points this year the media floated rumors that Lynch hated his coach, was about to get cut, and made baseless accusations that Seahawks players were racist for not thinking Russell Wilson was black enough. Why should he trust those same reporters?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:29 AM
Belltown Vintage

Andrew, all of your points make sense. As a Seahawks fan, I'm frustrated with Lynch - I love to watch him run more than anyone since Payton or Sanders. Probably more because he combines speed with power, and that leg chop thing he does, along with refusing to go out of bounds and dragging players the way Earl Campbell used to do - how can you not love the guy?

In fact, I enjoy hearing him talk: FX sound bytes, show appearances like the Conan interview, etc. And the 'Beast Mode' product line thing is very, very savvy. My last comment about him being broke in ten years was probably b.s. - he's not dumb.

I would just like to see him handle it more maturely. There are ways to go about it that would allow him to make a stand, but not sound like a baby. I suspect Carroll and maybe some of his teammates, will talk with him over the off-season and make some suggestions.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:35 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I agree he could handle it better. One simple statement as to why at the outset of one of those interviews would buy him loads of fan support.

I'm a Seahawks fan too. I love his style but actually do not think he's as indispensable to their offense as most. I would not be surprised if this is his last game.

I'm on my way to the Super Bowl right now.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Dave

Marshawn has one or two years left (tops) before his body starts breaking down for good. The RB position is the one I respect the most in the NFL, even though it's said it's one of the more replaceable... especially if you have a decent offensive line.

Those guys take a beating more then anybody else, and when they reach the end of the line, it's usually all of a sudden, and fairly sad to watch.

Look at some of the running backs the Chiefs have had over the years. Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes. Superstars one year and training camp fodder the next. Jamaal Charles is probably not far behind.

Chris Johnson, Terrell Davis. 2000 Yard rushers, pretty much done by their late 20's.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

The way Lynch plays the game, refusing to go down, refusing to go out of bounds - you would think his body will last fewer years than most. I suspect he is trying to get back to Oakland and Carroll will be looking at lesser-used backs around the league who could be groomed to fit into his system, like next year.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Todd Schultz

I just hope he busts free tomorrow for about a buck seventy-five and three TDs. I wouldn't care if he didn't want to talk about any of it, although he should skip the crotch grab (pretty much an 8th grade-ish move). Nothing wrong with the old actions speak louder than words approach, IMO.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

There was an article in today's paper about Duane Thomas behaving similarly before a Super Bowl. He then went out and provided MVP-like stats, but the award was given to Staubach. The voters voted for Thomas, but someone at Sport Magazine (who determined the winner) overruled the voters because they weren't sure what Thomas' behavior would be like;e.g-refusing the free truck, not talking, etc. The thinking with Lynch is that if he earns it he'll get the votes and win it, since there isn't anyone to veto it.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Interestingly, apparently the Seahawks want to extend him and are going to sign him to a huge new contract. Shows how much I know.

I saw a bunch of replays of the Beast Quake 2010 run last night and it appears he did the crotch grab on that touchdown. It's just his thing. In the interview discussing it he spread the credit and called it a team TD because of all the blocking the rest of the team did. Seemed genuinely reflective and considerate person discussing his own mistakes.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

I just wish he would have run the ball one more time this year.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
I just wish he would have run the ball one more time this year.
This ^^^

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 02-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Personally, he's an atrocious role model which I'm sure he doesn't care about. I also find it fascinating that the media is enthralled with him because of his defiance with not talking to, ironically enough, the media. He isn't doing anything novel and, if anything, he's acting like a complete moron for his faux defiance to not talking.

He makes millions of dollars and unless he's suffering from a Grienke-like social anxiety, which I doubt it, then he deserves no praise, sympathy or anything positive. If anything, while he's a great football player, he should be shown for the type of shallow individual that he is.

Just my take
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris999 View Post
Personally, he's an atrocious role model which I'm sure he doesn't care about. I also find it fascinating that the media is enthralled with him because of his defiance with not talking to, ironically enough, the media. He isn't doing anything novel and, if anything, he's acting like a complete moron for his faux defiance to not talking.

He makes millions of dollars and unless he's suffering from a Grienke-like social anxiety, which I doubt it, then he deserves no praise, sympathy or anything positive. If anything, while he's a great football player, he should be shown for the type of shallow individual that he is.

Just my take

Why do you think he's a shallow individual? Is it just because he doesn't talk to the media? Because he's made a few mistakes in his life, that he seems to be very self aware about?

It seems that most of the people who actually know him on a personal level, and the 1000's of kids he helps in his hometown of Oakland (on a one on one level, not as just a guy with a foundation that he funnels money into), have a different opinion of him then you do.

He may not have an Eisenreich or Grienke type anxiety disorder, but he's obviously not very comfortable talking about himself or having microphones put in front of his face.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Why do you think he's a shallow individual? Is it just because he doesn't talk to the media? Because he's made a few mistakes in his life, that he seems to be very self aware about?

It seems that most of the people who actually know him on a personal level, and the 1000's of kids he helps in his hometown of Oakland (on a one on one level, not as just a guy with a foundation that he funnels money into), have a different opinion of him then you do.

He may not have an Eisenreich or Grienke type anxiety disorder, but he's obviously not very comfortable talking about himself or having microphones put in front of his face.
Dave, I agree that he is a charitable guy, but he is not the least bit uncomfortable about mics in front of his face. He's in a battle with the NFL over them making him talk with the media, and he's not giving in. After watching the crotch-grab demonstration with Conan and Gronk, I'm also convinced that he isn't worried too much about doing something that will embarrass himself or that will be taken out of context.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Carl Lamendola

I don't know if anyone has actually met him, but when he was in Buffalo my 80 year old mother saw him parked outside the local supermarket by himself and asked him for his autograph, but he she didn't have a pen and smiled. The guy waited for her to go into the supermarket buy a pen and come back out and signed something for her. I've met other professional athletes that would not give you the time of day. I think he had a rough upbringing and your seeing some rebellion. I also heard he mentors many inner city youths.

The should have given him the ball. The Pats were shell shocked from the catch and it was time to go for the throat with the high percentage play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Marshawn is a good man. He is big pn giving back to Oakland.