NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default views on quotes from the board in public domain?

Posted By: leon

I received a call from a friend and valued board member over the weekend who wishes to remain anonymous. He expressed a concern about Okeefe's article/blog quote from our board. He asked if there is a law concerning that kind of copying? (copyright?).....I said I doubt it but I am far from being a lawyer. He also mentioned that what he says on the board really should stay on the board, so to speak. I told him it's a public board and in the public domain. What are others' views on this?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

Leon---

Quite simply, I was always told to be prepared for whatever you type on the keyboard, to assume it will be shown throughout the World!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I would imagine that if it's "legal" to forward emails to whomever you like, then it's "legal" to reproduce information that appears on a public message board.

This is why I carefully guard my public persona, never speak out loud, and always appear in public wearing a mask. You never know when the paparazzi is going to appear with their cameras and tape recorders.

-Al

Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

My feeling is "one tends to get what one deserves" if you want to make a foolish comment then be prepared to have it viewed by everybody everywhere. At least if its an intelligent comment and on subject then you should have nothing worry about. This person cant have his cake and eat it to, so to speak! It is a public forum and the posts are all there for all to see.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

This is a public chatboard; anybody can read what anybody says. I'd be very surprised if O'Keefe, unless he misrepresents what somebody said, could be barred from making (more) public what already is public.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I wouldn't post anything on a message board that I didn't want people to read. The fact that one of our threads went from Net54 to a Daily News Blog is almost irrelevant, because once you post on this site it's in the public domain, and anyone can see it.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Name masked for fear of being outed

I agree with what everyone here has said.

Steve Murray

Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Racer X

"Name masked for fear of being outed" likes applesauce

Old 10-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

News reporting and parody are both considered fair uses of copyrighted material; either could apply to the Daily News I suppose.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Thank you, Masked Man

What isn't clear regarding the term - public domain?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

If one writes on a public board, how can there be any expectation of privacy? Look at all the lies and distortions candidates make on the campaign trail about their opponents with impunity.
JimB

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I typed in Leon Luckey in a search engine and this is what came up first

<<<< Good seller,possibly worlds sexiest type card collector according to my mom A+++ >>>>

I don't see anything wrong with that being out there for the public to see

Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I cannot confirm or deny my participation in this thread.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GHCounter

Where are the Bruces?
Maybe they started mixing body fluids...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I think everyone here is technically correct, but I think it's not quite as simple as saying public is public. Because, you know, there's public and then there's public!

I go to the bar with a group of friends - let's say 10 or so. We're in the main area, but still large enough to be kind of loud and laughing and how you are in this setting.

Clearly I would say things in this group, in this setting, that are not the kinds of things I'd say to just anybody or necessarily want broadcast. Just as clearly, I am in a public place so any passerby or person at a nearby table could very well hear what I say. But even though I am in public, I am probably not that concerned that a few strangers within earshot hear what I say. I have a fair sense of the room and the forum and the environment.

Now if one of these passerbys or nearby tables recorded a chunk of our conversation and laughing and carrying on saying whatever we were saying and had it broadcast over the radio? That's totally different. A much broader audience, and no longer within my control to fairly understand the nature and number of people that may now hear it.

This board is the same way. Yes, it is public. And we never do know who exactly is in the next booth. Still, there is a sense that we are a niche topic, maybe a bit off the beaten track as net traffic goes, and might think that we don't mind if whoever happens to stumble onto our corner of the world sees what we say.

Published on a NY Daily News blog? Whole 'nother thing.

Nothing technically wrong with it, and yep don't say anything in public that etc etc etc, and legally airtight - public is public. But it kind of fails the gut check with me - because there's public and then there's public.

J

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I think JimB hit the nail squarely on the head. To me, the key would seem to be the writer's/speaker's "reasonable expectation of privacy".

When posting a message on the internet, there can be no "reasonable expectation of privacy", since the internet is open to absolutely everyone with access to it. Therefore, anything on the internet is free game.

In Joann's scenario above, I would think that a person who was speaking discreetly with a small group of friends/family, even in a public place, could have a "reasonable expection of privacy"; and could therefore fight anyone who broke that expectation. It would undoubtedly though, be incumbent on the speaker to prove that they were in fact speaking discreetly, and not raising their voice to where bystanders/strangers could freely hear what they were saying.

Steve

Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Bruce Dorskind wished me dead in a public forum. He writes sexually deviant emails that would make Lenny Bruce blush.... I'm glad it was put on the New York Daily's blog for anyone to see. I still think O'Keeffe is an idiot, but Dorskind has him beat in that category by a mile so whatever negative aspects of that being so high up in the Google search query is fine by me.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

As someone with a journalism background, this board and everything said on it is absolutely fair game because it is posted in a public forum. Similarly, blogs, speeches, etc can be replicated. Typically when reproducing quotes, the source (aka net54 forum) is named, which O'Keefe did and there is the responsibility to not twist/distort comments to take them out of context (no problem with O'Keefe here either).

Now if someone was to take a New York Times article and repost it on another site, without permission - that is an infringement.

-Scott

Old 10-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

The Daily News is the fifth highest-circulated newspaper in the United States.

And Dan...admit it...you want to end up in one of O'Keefe's columns...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Since all of O'Keeffe's columns are about the negative aspects of our hobby I'm not exactly begging to be included in one. Not sure why you'd think otherwise. The guy lied about this forum, blamed it on his editor...he wrote a crappy book with lots of errors and we're supposed to take his word as fact on Mastro, Bushing or any other aspect of our hobby? He called Steve Trachsel's wife to discuss their marital problems??? He's a low class idiot.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Yes, you're right -- he hates cards.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

To O'Keefe's credit he did quote me perfectly from the National when he and I spoke. I made sure he put in a part about the good part of the hobby not getting the attention it should. Unfortunately outsiders will think the negative things are more exciting than the positive ones and those are the things most oft reported, such as our thread recently. Such is journalism.....

Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

No Jeff, apparently you don't read O'Keeffe closely enough. He hates you and me and our White Boys Club for keeping out those two guys from Cincinnati with their fake Wagner.

Michael O'Keeffe wrote the following -
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I think their story has a lot to do with being outsiders to the industry, and to a lesser extent, with the fact that they are African-American. I think this hobby is dominated by white, upper-class guys with plenty of disposable income, and they took it as an affront that a couple of black guys were trying to get into their club.

The guys on the (internet) collectors forums were especially brutal. With all the problems the memorabilia hobby suffers from, you’d think these guys would have something better to do than rag on two working-class guys. The comments were vicious and racist and ugly and they should be ashamed of themselves."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every single regular poster to this forum can look at a scan of that Wagner and tell without a doubt that it is fake, but apparently that's not it...we just don't want two black guys joining in on our reindeer games. And hey they can't take it to PSA because you know PSA might steal it and switch it out with a reprint.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

I have to admit that those comments by Okeefe were just plain wrong, imo. No one was trying to keep the black man down.....those 2 are/were idiots, regardless of skin color, and were treated fairly, as such......

Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Dan, he doesn't hate me. And he doesn't hate cards. Really.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Jeff, we know he likes you...after all he did contact you to make sure the whole forum wouldn't miss his blog entry about us.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Dan, by the way, it's good to see you after your break from the forum. You seem well-rested.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

It's a lot harder to leave this white boys club than I thought.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

One of us! One of us! Gobble, gobble! One of us!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

At the next National ya'll should both attend. I will orchestrate a big group man-hug between us. Really guys, we are all on the same team here. Okeefe isn't all bad he's just doing his job and reporting what the public wants to hear. They don't care about all of the good stories....which really do outweigh the bad ones....They want the filth and wreckless abandon...that us white guys are known for..... (I cringe even saying that)....

Old 10-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Leon,
Just curious was the person who contacted you a board member who was quoted in the blog or just a board member expressing concern about whats said on the board stays on the board.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

I like Jeff. We definitely have disagreements on a few things, but I'm sure we think alike more than not.

I don't think I'll be heading to Cleveland...I can only take one vacation a year and next year is reserved for Blacksburg, VA for a football game...I definitely have plans to attend the next National in Chicago which I think is 2010 though. There'll be plenty of manhugs to go around.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

I like Dan too.

Dan, is Nebraska playing Va Tech?????

Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'm a white boy...can I join the club too?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Honestly, Barry, you're too white.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Yep. Nebraska will be heading to Blacksburg to take a whipping. I wouldn't normally travel that far for a Husker game, but I had two VT buddies come out here to Lincoln for the game this year and they want to return the hospitality.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

I am not sure that person is quoted in the blog or even posted in that thread. He is NOT one of the board flame throwers.....He is pretty low key and mostly stays to factual stuff.....regards

Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Am I missing something?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Sorry 'bout that....I answered Al S's question but thought you had asked it....regards

Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Jodi,
I think it was meant for my question I believe Leon was having a mid day senior moment!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Jodi... wanted you to know that YOUR clever Ramones reference did not go unnoticed. One of my favorite songs of the late '70s.... Good one!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

we accept her - one of us - one of us...... I thought Jodi's quote was from Tod Browning's "Freaks" and the dining table scene. Man I am old and out of touch.......

Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I thought it was from "Pinhead" by the Ramones. Jodi... time to settle this one. Your quote exists in two completely different mediums!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/2008/10/alls-fair-in-love-and-card-col.html#comments

Brucey attempting damage control after degrading women in general.

BcD

Old 10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

The Ramones lifted the reference from "Freaks"; which is a Halloween must-see BTW.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1224889397/last-1225067424/That+%26amp%3B%25%24%23%40%23%24+O%27Keeffe%21%21% 21%21++He+hates+cards%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21

The only good thing that has come out of this whole thing is that Bruce hasn't been seen or heard from since O'Keefe quoted him. Who knew that public humiliation on a much larger stage is all it took.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Administrator

The article in the news paper is what started it!
The Blog is the feeble follow up by Bruce who ends most of his e-mails with

"may your family die in a fire" or "may you die a slow painful death"

I sold him some cards he "claimed" he then sold for 175% profit!
Only thing is three board members I know have seen the cards in his 5x5 apartment which is all that left over from the bad divorce that fueled his wonderful thoughts on wives and women in general!

BcD

Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Funny how it is only Bruce who responded to the blog. A desperate attempt to paint himself in a better light as if he has a reputation to uphold. He then admonishes O'Keefe for posting the thread in his blog and suggests O'Keefe should report on more relevant matters in our hobby. Maybe Bruce should take his own advice. Supposedly he has vast knowledge on the history of the game as well as the hobby yet instead of sharing his knowledge, 90% of his posts here are done to demean the community and push buttons.

Bruce is hiding in shame now but sadly he will be back to remind us of the many things we despise in him. Wonder if his facebook friends have read the blog. Greg

edited out facebook address only.....

Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 AM
Administrator

before you just PULLED your entire Facebook profile and network of "friends"
off the server? pretty drastic move for a guy who said he was just joking!
You think DeeDee reads Net54 as well?

BcD