NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default No Stain No Gain

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
― George Orwell

Let me preface this with stating that this is not another exercise in PSA bashing, not at all. But shouldn't there be a different qualifier for wax and/or gum residue that's on the front of a card?? Using 'ST' can be so deceptive in so many cases. For instance, say an ebay auction is for a PSA 7 (ST) card and you can't see anything in the scans. Aren't you pouring over the pics trying to determine what in heck the stain is? Where is it??? Is that it? Is it hidden in the darker area of his hat? Where is it????????!!!!!!!!! On a glossy surface, gum and wax aren't staining agents, they haven't actually stained anything (obviously, with the non-glossy backs that's a different story, but I'm only referring to the fronts).

Case in point...

1961perranoski525.jpg

This Perranoski RC has the smallest amount of dross on it. I actually had to play with the photoshop settings just to make it visible here (slightly darker areas to the left of his chin). It is a thin strip and you can only detect this 'invisible' residue when the card is actively tilted in the sunlight, yet it got the dreaded 'ST' qualifier. If whoever sent this sucker in to be graded had a pair of his wife's or mother's (or his own ) panty hose on hand, he could've completely eliminated this nuisance in a split second. But, alas, he didn't and now the card, tsk tsk, is looked down upon by collectors as a maligned, inferior 8.

Simply put, calling this a "stain" is completely wrong. If I'm reading a John Grisham paperback and I spill my coffee on it, that's a stain!! It is permanent and it ain't going nowhere. But due to a card's gloss, gum residue is easily removed without affecting any bit of the card. Nothing is being altered. A stain to me is something that's soaked in and has become a part of the overall whole (wax residue on the back of a card, for instance, would still fit this pattern and officially be called a stain). If you dip the corner of your '55 Clemente in a bowl of soup, that's going to be a stain. But eliminating the Perranoski 'stain' would be tantamount to nothing more than wiping crumbs off a table. Those crumbs are not a part of the table. So I wish PSA had a different designation for these types of things, like a 'G' for gum residue or a 'W' for wax residue. Something that, although it would still be a qualifier, could be looked at in a more positive light, as collectors would know it is no big deal.

I guess there is no point to this thread, but to me, my Perranoski is as 8 as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Ben North

A quick look at PSAs web page shows you can still get a 9 with minor wax stains on the back only. So maybe with the stain on the card front they give the stain qualifier. Not sure how they handle gum stains.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Wait, Ben, you're replying?? But word around town is you don't actually exist.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Wait, Ben, you're replying?? But word around town is you don't actually exist.
LOL, that was just a vicious rumor started by someone using using a fake name.

I don't use PSA much but from experience they are way easier on wax stains than SGC. I agree with PSAs stance because they came that way from the packs.