NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Mike

Default Could someone explain the "soaking" process ?

Could someone explain the "soaking" process completely? It sounds like you put a card in water, is that true ? I can't believe the card wouldn't soak up the water and be ruined , waterlogged and wrinkled. When is it useful to "soak" ? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yeap, throw a card in water (or your preference). Let it soak, take it out and let it dry or dry it. I have done it in warm water many times. The cards dry.

Last edited by Leon; 01-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Could someone explain the "soaking" process completely? It sounds like you put a card in water, is that true ? I can't believe the card wouldn't soak up the water and be ruined , waterlogged and wrinkled. When is it useful to "soak" ? Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeap, throw a card in water (or your preference). Let it soak, take it out and let it dry or dry it. I have done it in warm water many times. The cards dry.
Wondered about this, and other "cleaning" things I have read on here and had the same concerns as the OP.

How long do you let it soak, is the purpose of soaking just to clean them, does it get wrinkles out? I have no idea why this is done?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:23 AM
David Kathman

It's best to press it between two flat surfaces with something heavy on top while it's drying, which takes several days. Here is a post I wrote last year that details the process I've used for successfully soaking cards over the past 20+ years:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...70&postcount=7
Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Wondered about this, and other "cleaning" things I have read on here and had the same concerns as the OP.

How long do you let it soak, is the purpose of soaking just to clean them, does it get wrinkles out? I have no idea why this is done?
The purpose is usually to get paper and glue off the back of the card, which is common in old cards that were often pasted in albums. Most of the glues used back then were water-soluble, which makes soaking relatively easy, but sometimes you find a glue that's tougher. You never know which is the case until you actually soak it.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:34 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
It's best to press it between two flat surfaces with something heavy on top while it's drying, which takes several days. Here is a post I wrote last year that details the process I've used for successfully soaking cards over the past 20+ years:

Quote:
The purpose is usually to get paper and glue off the back of the card, which is common in old cards that were often pasted in albums. Most of the glues used back then were water-soluble, which makes soaking relatively easy, but sometimes you find a glue that's tougher. You never know which is the case until you actually soak it.
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. My 52's are pretty "clean" with no tape or glue marks on the back or fronts so I think I will just bypass this process altogether.

Also, don't know if you can answer, but what exactly is "Shilling" Read that more than once in a few threads/posts so thought I'd ask here while you guys were explaining some things for me.

Thanks......Irv
Old 01-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
It sounds counter intuitive but in general it works well. If you have a card with scrapbook residue and has most likely been glued with pre 1940 glue, you completely submerge the card in luke warm water and the glue loosens allowing the scrapbook residue to be removed. Keep in mind that you only leave it in long enough for the paper to be removed and the glue to dissolve. After doing so, pat dry with paper towels and the place in paper towels in a book to keep the card from wrinkling and remove excess water. You should periodically change the towels for a couple of days until the card is dry.

With all this said, not all cards soak well. I soaked a T205 yesterday and it did well but I did find that the ink on the back was more fragile than other cards that I have soaked in my limited experience. So far I have soaked W572 strip cards, 1929 exhibit postcards, and now T205 with great success. Pick and choose your cards and start with a beater if you do it. It is not all that difficult to do and the results can be very rewarding. There was a big thread on soaking in the not too far past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.7 KB, 616 views)

Last edited by kmac32; 01-17-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Ken McMillan

End result. Card still drying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.6 KB, 620 views)

Last edited by kmac32; 01-17-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Ken McMillan

Card when dry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.3 KB, 609 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:52 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. My 52's are pretty "clean" with no tape or glue marks on the back or fronts so I think I will just bypass this process altogether.

Also, don't know if you can answer, but what exactly is "Shilling" Read that more than once in a few threads/posts so thought I'd ask here while you guys were explaining some things for me.

Thanks......Irv
Shilling is when a seller at an auction bids on his own item or has someone on his behalf do it to basically create a hidden reserve so they can bid the card up to an amount that if real bidder wants the card that bidder would have to bid over that amount....the fake bidding also creates an impression that there are other bidders out there on the card as underbiddiers creating artificial value..

if you win a card for 1200 and the bid under you was 1120...you believe at least a bit that if you were to sell the card next week you would get close to 1120 at least...but if that 1120 bidder was just the seller of the original card then that creates false value..and maybe the card now sells for 700...unless you shill the card on your own and fake someone else out to pay more...
Old 01-17-2016, 03:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Shilling is when a seller at an auction bids on his own item or has someone on his behalf do it to basically create a hidden reserve so they can bid the card up to an amount that if real bidder wants the card that bidder would have to bid over that amount....the fake bidding also creates an impression that there are other bidders out there on the card as underbiddiers creating artificial value..

if you win a card for 1200 and the bid under you was 1120...you believe at least a bit that if you were to sell the card next week you would get close to 1120 at least...but if that 1120 bidder was just the seller of the original card then that creates false value..and maybe the card now sells for 700...unless you shill the card on your own and fake someone else out to pay more...
Great explanation, 1952.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Yes many posters will agree I give a lot of useful information here ....
Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default soak

Overall, that Overall worked out good..Overall
Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Of course not all "soaks" are totally successful. I'll share my most difficult soak ever, as I tried to rescue a 1971 Topps #156 Terry Bradshaw RC a couple years ago. This is the most expensive card in the '71 Topps football set, and "books" for $200 in NM shape.
Here's what I started with:

Terry gets "tossed" in the sink, hot water:

I had to break out a more "advanced" tool, a safety pin to get things going:

Post "soak" advanced tool still in use. But the back didn't clean up that well:

Terry is between the paper towels:

Terry joins his buddies:

Larry
Old 01-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Larry

Quote:

Thanks David. I printed out your previous post and believe it will be very helpful.

Sincerely,

Larry
Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

Shilling has probably most often occurred in the past when the auction house "sees" your maximum bid (which was supposed to be known only to you) and "cha-chings" the bidding right up to but not over your max bid, usually in a flurry of bids a short time before the auction closes. I had this happen with my 1923 Lections Ruth (obtained in a Mastro auction--what a surprise, in retrospect!), and several other major auction houses, BUT NEVER, EVER REA (thank goodness that integrity and morals don't always vanish when money is involved!).

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Todd C

I have had success soaking old gum/tobacco cards with good success too.

After a few attempts on less valuable cards, I have no worries on trying the better ones. It does work if you know what you are doing.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

Here's a recent soaker. Soaked in warm tap water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160120_225707-1.jpg (47.7 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg 082512162928-1.jpg (74.7 KB, 299 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default To the tune of Ballin' The Jack

Soakin' da card

Pick a dirty card
you’d like to clean

Get yourself a pan
from your kitchen queen

Fill it up with water
it’s not that hard

soon you’ll be seeing
what’s called soaking da card

Put the card in
All the way

Hold it down
and start to pray

If the glue floats off
it wont be hard

soon you’ll be a pro
at soaking da card

If you need it better
rub it with a Qtip

hold it when you do
so it doesn’t slip

Paper loss will happen
if you rub too hard

so you be gentle
when you’re soaking da card

Take it out when done
and press until dry

paper towels will do
so give em a try

when the card is dry
you wont need this bard

see the beauty you created
after soaking da card.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Soakin' da card

Pick a dirty card
you’d like to clean

Get yourself a pan
from your kitchen queen

Fill it up with water
it’s not that hard

soon you’ll be seeing

Put the card in
All the way

Hold it down
and start to pray

If the glue floats off
it wont be hard

soon you’ll be a pro
at soaking da card

If you need it better
rub it with a Qtip

hold it when you do
so it doesn’t slip

Paper loss will happen
if you rub too hard

so you be gentle

Take it out when done
and press until dry

paper towels will do
so give em a try

when the card is dry
you wont need this bard

after soaking da card.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:14 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Soakin' da card

Pick a dirty card
you’d like to clean

Get yourself a pan
from your kitchen queen

Fill it up with water
it’s not that hard

soon you’ll be seeing

Put the card in
All the way

Hold it down
and start to pray

If the glue floats off
it wont be hard

soon you’ll be a pro
at soaking da card

If you need it better
rub it with a Qtip

hold it when you do
so it doesn’t slip

Paper loss will happen
if you rub too hard

so you be gentle

Take it out when done
and press until dry

paper towels will do
so give em a try

when the card is dry
you wont need this bard

after soaking da card.
Is 5hat the latest version of soaker rap Frank
Old 01-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Is 5hat the latest version of soaker rap Frank

Ken,

Not rap. I now realize that some of the youngsters on the board may not know that Ballin' The Jack was a dance tune introduced in 1913 (prewar indeed). For those of you that would like to sing along with Soakin' Da Card the following should help you with the instrumental accompaniment.

When you play the video and sing along, you will better appreciate my iambic pentameter.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...34&action=view

Back in my big band days, my sax solo accompanied the dancers, as seen in the second video. Brenda Lee, what a treat to work with.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...6b&action=view

I'll just bet there were not many prewar players who were not familiar with Ballin' The Jack. I hear it was one of Babe's favorites.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default soak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
Here's a recent soaker. Soaked in warm tap water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soak.JPG (45.4 KB, 207 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Bill Avery

My second soaked card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mickeydoolin.jpg (52.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg mickeydoolin2.jpg (62.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Looks like it it lessened the creasing too.

So maybe you can soak cards to lessen creasing too, who knew.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Kyle May

When you soak a card, say you send it in for grading... Can they tell? Does it affect the grade? Or is the soaking process purely for raw cards you never intend to grade, and is strictly for eye appeal?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Looks like it it lessened the creasing too.

So maybe you can soak cards to lessen creasing too, who knew.
Yes and no. In my experience it is always a temporary fix. The length of time it last varies quite a bit on how it was soaked and dried. It is the reason you see a graded card and go "how the hell did that get a 8 with those creases". It did not have those creases when it was graded.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:12 PM
N
Banned

Does this look like a good candidate for soaking?
Old 12-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Bill Avery

I had my card in the water for about 5-10 minutes and changed the water about three times because of the amount of paper that was coming off of the card. Then I patted it dry with paper towel then wrapped it in fresh paper towel and put it under a stack of big art books for about a week changing the paper towel out every day. The creases are even more faint in hand than in the scan, but the Piedmont printing on the back is now almost black instead of blue. I am guessing that it was some kind of reaction to the glue that was used on the card.