NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Default Holy Grail(s)

The 1927 Gehrig home jersey in Heritage got me thinking...obviously this is what most would consider a "Holy Grail" piece, and without question, is extremely special/important.

my question is...what is your guess of how many game used Gehrig Jerseys still exist today? while we are asking the question, let's extend it to Babe Ruth as well. how many Ruth game used Jerseys survive today?

p.s. i mean full jerseys, i'm not talking about the cut-up jersey cards.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

NM

Last edited by perezfan; 10-12-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would guess that 3 - 4 jerseys of both Ruth and Gehrig exist. I can't remember what's in the HOF, but remember Hunt's having a nice Gehrig a few years back. I also recall a Ruth Brooklyn Jersey in Mastro. Guess that one doesn't really count, but think I saw a Yankees one about a decade ago.

As I write this, I'm realizing that my answer has no basis in fact, whatsoever. The 3-4 jerseys is nothing more than an educated guess. Eager to hear what others think... I imagine that David A, Jacksons, King of Clout and other Yankee followers here will shed some perspective.

Last edited by perezfan; 10-12-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Brock

So who wants to buy me the Gehrig jersey.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Jon Canfield

I remember Ruth's Braves jersey coming up for auction a few years back. Also, I thought the Yankees had a Ruth and Gehrig jersey (this is not a Seinfeld reference!).

Last edited by canjond; 10-13-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I remember Ruth's Braves jersey coming up for auction a few years back. Also, I thought the Yankees had a Ruth and Gehrig jersey (this is not a Seinfeld reference!).
I know Costanza got Strawberry juices all over the Ruth jersey. So if that one comes to market it should be easy to spot ; )
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Just as concept, a holy grail I still believe is out there somewhere are the confession letters of the Black Sox. I think they were kept because they were such good possible blackmail material.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default There's a 1934 Gehrig road jersey out there . . .

I had the pleasure of holding it before the doors opened at a Thanksgiving weekend Plymouth Michigan card show in the late 1980's. Ten minutes later, Mr. Mint materialized, wisked the gentleman and his Gehrig jersey away. The doors soon opened, and Mr. Mint was finalizing his purchase.

The jersey may not have been mine to keep, but that moment certainly was.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You are talking about a Gehrig jersey "walking in" to a show and I find it hard to find any quality pieces walking in to a show nowadays. As Archie and Edith Bunker said, "Those were the days".
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Ahhhh . . . those were the days

My brother and I often arrived a couple of hours (or more) before the show would open on Friday morning. If we were not first and second in line, we were usually among the first five.

Anyways, to kill time, we'd chat with the other collectors in line with us, and check out what they had to sell, or inquire what they were looking to buy. And then the gentleman next to me carefully opened his crumpled brown grocery bag and gently pulled out the Gerhig jersey. He allowed me to hold the jersey, and enjoy the moment. It was all kind of hush-hush, since he didn't want too much attention. But I'd have to imagine the word passed quickly down the waiting line of show attendees. The gentleman realized he had something valuable, and began to feel alittle vulnerable standing in the hotel hallway with his prized item. I would have felt quite uncomfortable too.

At prior shows, Mr. Mint or one of his "boys" would often come out a half hour or so before the show opened, and inquire what folks in line had to sell. After the gentleman next to me briefly opened his bag to let the Mint-man's rep take a peek (the jersey didn't come out of the bag), the rep hustled back into the closed showroom. Soon, out bursts the Mr. Mint himself, and my newfound "buddy" was hustled past the closed doors. Soon after, the deal was done.

I have no idea what Mr. Mint paid for that jersey, but it did appear thereafter in one (or two) of his SCD ads promoting the vast amounts of cash he recently spent, and the noteworthy collection/items he acquired. I'm just thrilled to say that "I was there".

Those were the days.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 10-14-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

I would love to know where the "loving cup" that Hal Chase is holding on his t206 is...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

My brother and I often arrived a couple of hours (or more) before the show would open on Friday morning. If we were not first and second in line, we were usually among the first five.

Anyways, to kill time, we'd chat with the other collectors in line with us, and check out what they had to sell, or inquire what they were looking to buy. And then the gentleman next to me carefully opened his crumpled brown grocery bag and gently pulled out the Gerhig jersey. He allowed me to hold the jersey, and enjoy the moment. It was all kind of hush-hush, since he didn't want too much attention. But I'd have to imagine the word passed quickly down the waiting line of show attendees. The gentleman realized he had something valuable, and began to feel alittle vulnerable standing in the hotel hallway with his prized item. I would have felt quite uncomfortable too.

At prior shows, Mr. Mint or one of his "boys" would often come out a half hour or so before the show opened, and inquire what folks in line had to sell. After the gentleman next to me briefly opened his bag to let the Mint-man's rep take a peek (the jersey didn't come out of the bag), the rep hustled back into the closed showroom. Soon, out bursts the Mr. Mint himself, and my newfound "buddy" was hustled past the closed doors. Soon after, the deal was done.

I have no idea what Mr. Mint paid for that jersey, but it did appear thereafter in one (or two) of his SCD ads promoting the vast amounts of cash he recently spent, and the noteworthy collection/items he acquired. I'm just thrilled to say that "I was there".

Those were the days.
Did you ask how he had gotten the jersey?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Game Word Jersey Cards Ruth Gehrig

I remember years ago when the card companies started producing game-worn jersey cards of players like Babe Ruth Ruth and Lou Gehrig. I just can't picture in my head those uniforms being cut up and inserted into cards. And I don't begrudge anyone owning a Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig jersey card, it's just sad that many of the few that existed were cut up.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default How did he acquire that jersey ?

I'm sure he did, but I just don't remember. Sorry.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Just reviving this thread.....although it may have been another where we all talked about what great piece of memorabilia would you love to have, like the Called Shot Home Run Ball, or Shoeless Joe's confession, perhaps Ty Cobb's cleats from the famous picture, Conlon's actual camera, etc etc.

Well I finally found one, maybe not of these magnitude, but pretty neat, I'll be posting later tonight.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Just reviving this thread.....although it may have been another where we all talked about what great piece of memorabilia would you love to have, like the Called Shot Home Run Ball, or Shoeless Joe's confession, perhaps Ty Cobb's cleats from the famous picture, Conlon's actual camera, etc etc.

Well I finally found one, maybe not of these magnitude, but pretty neat, I'll be posting later tonight.
..aren't you the master of suspense
Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

yes and no, I'm watching my kids tonight and it's non-stop, so no time to take pix, etc.....ugh

I can see it now - I put it on the table and the kool-aid spills right on it
Old 11-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Joe

stop teasing! ...is it bigger than a bread box?
Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Bob Hamlin

Default Shoeless Ring

Holy Grail:

Years ago I was watching a TV show called "Flip this House" based in S.Carolina. In this episode they were moving Shoeless Joe Jackson's former home closer to the Minor League park and converting it to a museum. At the end of the episode, Shoeless Joe's grandson was there for the unveiling of the House/Museum. As he shakes the contractors hand, he slips off, and lets the contractor try on, Joe Jackson's 1917 World Series Ring !!!

Now, to me that is a "Holy Grail"...only one of those and it resides in the families possession. What is a guess on what that would bring? 2M ? More...

Side note: Josh Hamilton was in the episode, working on the job because he hadn't been reinstated yet.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbats View Post
Holy Grail:

Years ago I was watching a TV show called "Flip this House" based in S.Carolina. In this episode they were moving Shoeless Joe Jackson's former home closer to the Minor League park and converting it to a museum. At the end of the episode, Shoeless Joe's grandson was there for the unveiling of the House/Museum. As he shakes the contractors hand, he slips off, and lets the contractor try on, Joe Jackson's 1917 World Series Ring !!!

Now, to me that is a "Holy Grail"...only one of those and it resides in the families possession. What is a guess on what that would bring? 2M ? More...

Side note: Josh Hamilton was in the episode, working on the job because he hadn't been reinstated yet.
Wow!!!!!!! I'd guess 250K plus!