NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2019, 03:37 PM

Default frank nagy

Any of you old time collectors remember Frank Nagy's auctions and buying from him?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:43 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Any of you old time collectors remember Frank Nagy's auctions and buying from him?
I dealt w/ Frank in the '80's
Here are some of his card that SGC pedigreed

Old 09-03-2019, 04:50 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
I have a complete run of “Sport Hobbyist”, which Nagy co-published from 1961 to 1966 (and which was mostly just Nagy’s auctions for its last couple of years), and a near-complete run of his Frank’s Auction Corner from 1966-68. The latter are from the collection of Irv Lerner, another longtime collector and part-time dealer.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Jason B.

Ditto. Prized pickup from the last National in AC with the Nagy pedigree...

08001f.jpg
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Bob Andrews

When I got back into collecting (as an adult) in the late 70s I came across his auctions or at least read about them in SCD.

Didn't Bill Mastro end up with his collection? Maybe I'm mis-remembering that.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:59 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Didn't Bill Mastro end up with his collection? Maybe I'm mis-remembering that.
I believe he did. Mastro was very close to Nagy, and was engaged to his daughter for a while. Here is an article that Mastro wrote about Nagy in the August 31, 1976 Sports Collectors Digest.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Frank Nagy

. .

Here is the 1st issue (1962) of The Sport Hobbyist. Charles Brooks and Frank Nagy were it's co-founders. Most of us old-timers have fond memories of Frank Nagy.
Frank ran a mail auction for many decades. I saved his interesting notes (from early 1980's) which he would include with the cards won from his auction. Example:
he would often reduce the amount of your winning bid because the closest bid to it was considerably less than yours. Now, how can you beat that ?
Frank's auction stuff was very eclectic, 19th Century - 1970's cards (all sports and non-sports). I recall winning T206 (Ex) commons for $1 - $2 each. And Cobb's,
Lajoie's, Matty's, and CYoung's, etc. for less than $10 each.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Mark Macrae

Frank was a larger than life figure and very helpful to collectors with questions. His handwritten letters would arrive with my monthly auction winnings which were sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard, wrapped with butcher paper and tied with string. Frank was a chain smoker, and I always knew when his packages were in my p/o box, because the cigarette smoke aroma created a cloud like 'pigpen' on Peanuts. Once I out the key in my box, the aroma cloud would come out of my box, and usually took two or three weeks of new magazines or mimeograph paper to neutralize the box. You'll still see a number of cards previously owned by Frank circulating in the hobby with his handwriting on the back. Always brings a smile to my face when I see them. A great collector and a great person.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Frank was a great guy to deal with, and he had some incredible stories. When he first started dealing there was little demand for N172s. He told me he would throw some in with orders for free. He also told me he would put an N173 at the bottom of a box to support it. His great line to get you to buy something was "it will add class to your collection". When I was collecting football I bought a lot of match covers in his auctions.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 PM
David Kathman

Here's an article about baseball card collectors from the August 10, 1971 Wall Street Journal, with a section on Nagy and how he pissed off his wife by spending their life savings on Walter Corson's card collection.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:23 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Nagy was definitely a match book cover guy. I have several of his original checklists including baseball, football, and hockey.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nagy BMC 1.jpg (76.8 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg Nagy BMC 2.jpg (68.4 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg Nagy BMC 3.jpg (75.4 KB, 688 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Frank Nagy

Some of the Frank Nagy cards in my E90-1 set.

. .

. .

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Yes. I began collecting vintage in 1975, and subscribed to his mail order auctions regularly for a couple of years, beginning in 1976, I think. For some reason, I eschewed the Goudey Ruth cards that were going for $50 a piece, but glommed onto the Topps 1950 team cards, thinking they were so scarce that they would be super valuable some day. I did land one good deal that I can recall . . . a lot of (150) T206 cards for just $15! OF course they were low end, but still quite a bargain. He would actually send you the cards before you paid for them back then, and you would then either pay upon approval or return the cards for a full refund. I remember returning a card only once - a Batter Up Jimmy Foxx I had won for about $9.75. Of course you could see what you were bidding on since there were no pictures in the descriptions. I complained to him that the top was missing, and I was only getting "half a card" for my money. He wrote me back a lengthy letter, explaining that he had seen Foxx go for $15 or more in even worse condition that the one I had bid on, but he also affirmed my right to return it. What a good guy Frank Nagy was.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Barry Sloate

It's interesting how many of the cards pictured here from Nagy's collection ended up in AUTH holders. Did old time collectors not care at all about condition, and whether the card seemed undersized or trimmed? You would think an advanced collector who handled so many cards would have been continually upgrading his sets, and replacing cards that appeared to have problems.

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-04-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It's interesting how many of the cards pictured here from Nagy's collection ended up in AUTH holders. Did old time collectors not care at all about condition, and whether the card seemed undersized or trimmed? You would think an advanced collector who handled so many cards would have been continually upgrading his sets, and replacing cards that appeared to have problems.
Was thinking the same.

I think this tells us a lot about what condition cards were available at the time. Amazing that in the last 20 years all these high end 100 year old cards show up, but a guy who devoted his life to pre war cards 50 years ago had a collection of low grade.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Was thinking the same.

I think this tells us a lot about what condition cards were available at the time. Amazing that in the last 20 years all these high end 100 year old cards show up, but a guy who devoted his life to pre war cards 50 years ago had a collection of low grade.
Excellent point.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:33 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Lionel Carter did that, and so did a couple of other guys, but they were considered oddballs within the hobby. Most collectors didn't care too much about condition except in a very broad sense, and some, such as Buck Barker, didn't care about it at all. (The spiritual ancestors of the OBC guys.) Here is an article about card conditions that Carter wrote for the April 1973 Ballcard Collector, with some observations that were ahead of their time in many ways.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Barry Sloate

It seems that if you are always buying big collections, as I assume these old timers were doing regularly, wouldn't part of the fun be replacing damaged or problem cards with cleaner and fresher ones? I used to do that all the time, and it seems so natural to me. Nagy must have handled a million cards, so why not keep the best ones? I'm not talking about Mint, but simply replacing a creased card with one without creases.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
It seems that if you are always buying big collections, as I assume these old timers were doing regularly, wouldn't part of the fun be replacing damaged or problem cards with cleaner and fresher ones? I used to do that all the time, and it seems so natural to me. Nagy must have handled a million cards, so why not keep the best ones? I'm not talking about Mint, but simply replacing a creased card with one without creases.
For all we know he may have done that, but all of the trimmed AUTH cards from Nagy's collection shown above look pretty nice, as do many of those with low technical grades (like that SGC 10 CJ Strunk). I think Nagy, like most collectors of his era, went for eye appeal, and didn't really care about flaws (including modest trimming) that would today give a card a low technical grade.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM

Thanks for all those memories of Mr. Nagy and only wish I would have bought more from him.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Frank Nagy

I knew Frank well and visited his home many times.

Someone mentioned about his cards smelling of cigarette smoke. I distinctly remember him smoking while going through cards. He would get so distracted he would forget to take the cigarette out of his mouth to put the ashes in the ashtray.I would watch in awe as the ash at the end of the cigarette got longer and longer until it fell off under it's own weight tumble on his belly and he would curse and knock the ashes off his shirt!!

I had forgotten all about an article I wrote about Frank until someone was kind enough to send me a copy of the August 1974 Sports Scoop. See my article below

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nagy 103122016.jpg (81.7 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg Nagy 303122016.jpg (77.4 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg Nagy 203122016.jpg (68.1 KB, 498 views)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Nick

Default Nagy Was My Hobby Mentor

I met Frank in 1972 while setting up at my first hobby show. He became my hobby mentor when I was in college, often writing me encouraging letters about the hobby along with dozens of free baseball matchbook covers. He helped dozens, if not hundreds, of young collectors like me.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Fred, Any chance you could make those pics a little larger? I would love to read them but they are a bit small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post

Someone mentioned about his cards smelling of cigarette smoke. I distinctly remember him smoking while going through cards. He would get so distracted he would forget to take the cigarette out of his mouth to put the ashes in the ashtray.I would watch in awe as the ash at the end of the cigarette got longer and longer until it fell off under it's own weight tumble on his belly and he would curse and knock the ashes off his shirt!!

I had forgotten all about an article I wrote about Frank until someone was kind enough to send me a copy of the August 1974 Sports Scoop. See my article below

Fred
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The cigarette ashes falling reminds me of my wonderful grandmother (RIP) who used to make matzo ball soup in her kitchen, while smoking, with the ashes rolling down her blouse. I think they might have been what made the soup taste so good!! I miss her soup....

BTW, some great articles posted. Thanks for sharing, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post

Fred
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I bought a little from him...he was dialing back his involvement in the game about the time I was learning of the wider network of collectors. I have a set of the cards he issued somewhere around the house and won a couple of cards in his auctions.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Mike

As I've mentioned before collecting in the 1970's and early '80's piecing together 1950's sets from my childhood and pre-war cards for complete sets, I would have to go to several shows just to find cards without creases etc. I wanted the best for my sets. When I sent some in to see the grades years later, they ranged from 5-7. Not sure where all those 8,9 and 10's were back 40 years ago. Somehow when grading started the cards ended up in better condition !!!!
I remember Mastro at a show , I think it was in Chicago, when he bought a 52 Topps Mantle from a guy that was VG at best. When the seller left he stated to his pal, that he could get that crease off the card etc.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Joe M.

I set up at many card shows where Frank & Mastro were set up. I don't think Frank worried that much about condition. A wealth of knowledge though.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Default E102 Wagner

Another Nagy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan00gyg05.jpg (46.2 KB, 392 views)
Old 09-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I was born in the 1980s, so I missed out on a lot of the action! I did google Nagy up and came across a great article:

https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.c...cy_far_beyond/

Mastro mentor Nagy left a hobby legacy far beyond
Categories: Auction News
December 21, 2007 | Ben Sobieck | Comments: 0

Under the heading of “It takes one to know one,” it’s hard to imagine a better source to talk about a hobby icon than Bill Mastro, CEO of the auction giant MastroNet, and something of a hobby institution in his own right.

Mastro is almost without exception passionate and animated when he’s talking about the hobby, but all of that gets amped-up a good deal when the topic is Frank Nagy, arguably one of the most influential figures in hobby history.

Nagy died on Nov. 30, 1994, and much of his lifelong accumulation of vintage cards and matchbooks has long since made its way into the hands of private collectors, but as is the case with virtually everyone who really loves cards and memorabilia, some stuff got held back by his widow, Louise.

Mrs. Nagy died this past summer, and their son, Frank Jr., called Mastro shortly thereafter. Over the last decade Mastro had auctioned a number of things for the family, and Nagy himself had sold a lot of material in the last couple of years leading up to his passing.

The December MastroNet bauction will feature some of those treasures, including a T206 White Border near set and T205 Gold Border, Turkey Red set and other prewar classics, but despite that kind of lineup, Master Mastro (Master and Mentor; Get it?) insists that the story of the man himself is infinitely more compelling than the recitation of what he accumulated.

“It’s so much more about him than it is about the cards,” is the way Mastro put it in the introduction in the December auction catalog.

“He was my mentor. I knew him better than anybody else. We were best friends. I would spend summers at his house. I would stay weeks on end at his house,” he continued.

“The only reason he went to the National Conventions as long as he did was because I set it up for him. He was getting older and he didn’t want to travel. He went to Parsippany, and the Chicago one after that. He went to the earliest Nationals. He would go to the conventions and buy big piles of stuff.”

And while the legendary stories seem to center around the cards, or more precisely the incredible volume of cards, Mastro puts a more personal slant on the discussion. “(Nagy) was really an innovative human being in our hobby. One of the really interesting things about Frank, and I remember him talking to me about it when I was young, he was one of the few hobby guys back in the late 1960s and early 1970s who didn’t really mind the stuff becoming worth more money,” Mastro said. “And it wasn’t because he wanted more money for himself, but he knew that for the expansion of the hobby the stuff had to be worth something.”

According to Mastro, Nagy envisioned the hobby as becoming more respectable and a wider hobby than coins and stamps. “He saw where the hobby came from, with guys with pocket protectors and their pants pulled up to their nipples writing letters to each other and wandering around like cloistered, embarrassed old men. He saw that the hobby could reach a point where it could be something that everybody could do and that it could be the hobby,” Mastro said.

“(Nagy) saw the hobby becoming very much what it is today. He recognized that the only way for that to happen was for the stuff to become more valuable, and he encouraged that to happen, even though he knew it was going to cost him more money to get the stuff that he wanted.”

And though that might startle younger collectors who know only of a hobby dotted with price guides and an investor mentality, it wasn’t always that way. “Many of the old hobby pioneers were really aggravated that stuff became worth more money because they were going to have to pay more. It was like a little, closed fraternity,” Mastro continued. “They were strange guys. We would not have enjoyed hanging around and hanging out with most of the hobby pioneers. There was a certain embarrassment factor to it, because they were collecting something that was meant for kids and they didn’t want people to know.”

Not so with Nagy, Mastro says, calling him a progressive thinker whose big thing was making collecting a family hobby.

“He really had a tremendous impact on the hobby. He was so different in so many ways. He started out in the hobby when it was nothing more than letter writing and it was really a teenie weenie society. What caused it to explode were the conventions.

“When I was a kid I would write him, and he would write me two-, three- or four-page, handwritten letters on legal pages. These would be letters about the hobby, about what to collect, about how to collect, about condition, these are good, these are not.

“And then the conventions started, and all these guys got to meet each other around 1969-70. As soon as guys got to meet each other, then there were personalities involved. There were no price guides, so the art of trading was the biggest thing and Nagy was the most phenomenal trader in the world. He would have been the best poker player, because you never knew what he was thinking.”

Like most of the venerated hobby old-timers, Mastro revels in telling stories about the almost mystical days when massive collections were often built on something other than deep pockets. “You would sit there and try to trade with him and he had the best poker face in the world. You never had any idea whether he approved or disapproved, because he would just nod his head.”

Mastro followed that observation with an admission that would no doubt surprise many of his contemporaries. “He was one of the only guys who got the best of me on most of the deals we did. He was so patient. We would just sit around in his basement and talk for hours, and one night we were sitting around and trading, and we both had tons of cards with us.

“It was probably around 6 a.m. and the sun was coming up, and there was a pile of Batter Ups that I had traded him at around 11 p.m. the night before, and now at 6 o’clock in the morning they were coming back to me in another trade.

“And I looked at him and said, ‘I don’t know how I ended up with these things; I just traded them to you six or seven hours ago. And he looked at me and smiled and said, ‘You better go to bed, because pretty soon you’re not going to have any cards left at all,’ ” Mastro recalled with a laugh. “The idea was that if I stayed and traded with him long enough, I would end up going home with nothing.

“And we both laughed, because at the beginning of the night I had this huge pile of stuff, and at the end, I had about a third of it left. This guy was going to trade me right out of my shirt. He was that kind of guy.”

Mastro also noted that, first and foremost, Nagy was a Detroit Tigers collector. “No matter whatever trade you did, you never got any Tigers cards from him. Didn’t matter who it was, it didn’t matter, every pile of cards you ever got from him there were no Tigers, because he put them in a cabinet with boxes of Tigers cards. There were some cards he had 1,500 of them,” Mastro recounted with a laugh.

And he also pointed out that Nagy was the pre-eminent matchbook cover guy. Mastro noted that, in his words, “all the matchbook covers in the hobby came from (Nagy). According to Mastro, back in the 1950s, before anybody knew anything about matchbook covers, Nagy got this collection from this guy who was getting divorced. And he had literally millions of matchbook covers, and the guy’s wife called Nagy and told him to come and take the collection away.

“When the conventions first started, it was like the haves and the have nots,” Mastro said. “Ninety percent of all the best cards in the hobby were in 10 percent of the collections. And the rest of us were all trying to get them.

“Eventually people started taking stuff out of their attics, but this was in the early 1970s when the hobby was in its infancy. There were just certain guys that were known for having tons of cards. There were a few guys who had so many cards that they just couldn’t get rid of them fast enough. And most of them wanted to trade,” he continued.

“So when the conventions started, everybody and their grandmother wanted to go to Nagy’s house. And his basement was filled with cards. He would trade for runs of cards, not individual cards. He had runs of T206s.

“As a guy who had all the cards, he recognized that the other guys didn’t have these. The first time I went to the Detroit convention, he sent me home with a T205 Gold Border set and a 1933 Goudey set. And I was 17 or 18 years old, and he just told me to send him something when I had it. And he did that to everybody who went to his house.”

It’s that particular quality in Nagy’s dealings with his fellow collectors that seems to have touched Mastro so profoundly. “He understood the thrill of getting stuff for people. A lot of guys never took care of him, and that got old after a while, and I think that was part of the reason that he lost interest in the hobby around the mid-1980s.

“Some of the guys didn’t really understand; you really had to find him something.”

Mastro recalled with some affection Nagy’s famed auction sheets, a mimeographed, 15-20 page listing. And whenever he mailed you a package, he always included some free cards.

Mastro also commented on the distinctive language he used in listing his auction lots. “He had a horrible vocabulary. I called them “Nagyisms.” He would say, ‘These here are good. These here are tough. These here are tougher.”

But ultimately, it was Nagy’s kindness and ultimately his friendship that so touched a teenaged collector, who just as easily could have been turned off to a hobby by a grumpy veteran hobbyist. “He was one of these guys who believed in spreading the wealth and joy throughout the hobby. That was who he was. The first time I wrote to him was 1966 or 1967, when I was 13 or 14 years old, and he took the time to write me long letters. Who would bother to do that? It was amazing.

“When our hobby was small and intimate, Nagy was our guy. Everybody recognized him. When the hobby got huge, everybody recognized Halper. So Nagy was kind of like the guy before Halper,” Mastro said, offering an epitaph that would be the envy of anybody who every opened up a pack of cards.

“There are certain guys in the history of our hobby who did tremendous things to promote the hobby, not just through articles, but through their personalities. Nagy was that kind of guy.

“I don’t know anybody that didn’t like him. He was larger than life. And it was neat to have him in our hobby, kind of the way Halper was neat to have in the hobby, but Halper was on a much grander scale,” Mastro added.

With that kind of introduction, here’s a peek at what the December auction has in store. “He collected everything, non-sports, British cards. It was a typical collection of a guy who collected when getting the cards was more important than the condition. It’s all over the place, and we sent thousands of the cards in to be graded, and, at least with SGC, the holders all carry the notation about The Nagy Collection.”

Nagy himself had sold almost all of his modern Topps and Bowman stuff.

“At the time before he started getting rid of anything, when I started going over to his house in the early 1970s, his card collection was 10 times bigger than what we are offering. It was so comprehensive and so huge that people would come from all over the country to visit with him and just sit in his basement and look at the cards.

“Everybody would come and spend time at Frank’s house in Grosse Isle, Mich., an island south of Detroit.

“This is a guy who put together a Burdick-like collection that never was in a museum, but so many people got to come to his house and see it. And they got a little piece of it when they left,” Mastro added.

And like so many serious collectors, Nagy always kept his Wagner, which he got from Preston Orem in the early 1960s and he reportedly paid $100 for it. Orem wrote the book on early baseball, Baseball 1845-1881, a tremendous reference source for 19th-century collectors. The self-published book chronicles the significant games played from that period. “So that’s a tremendous lineage for the T206 Wagner card that Nagy had in his collection,” Mastro said.

The Wagner is graded a GAI 3.5, described as a nice-looking card with tremendous eye appeal.

The auction also features what Mastro describes as the White Sox Collection, coming from another legendary hobby figure, Pat Quinn.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Dave Carson

I'm not sure how I first got one of Frank's auction catalogs, but I was very surprised when I received my white butcher paper and string wrapped package of winnings before I sent any money.

I really looked forward to going through those auction listings and figuring out my bids. As a high school and college student for most of the period I was bidding I never had a great deal of money available. I'm sure if I could find my first checkbook I would see a lot of checks written to Frank.

I have a 1963-64 Parkhurst Hockey set that came entirely from individual card bids won in Frank's auction over the years. I'm also sure that most of the T-206s of various Cleveland players (including Cy Young, Addie Joss and Nap Lajoie) came from Frank's auctions.

Having read about the sheer volume of cards Frank had and seeing some of the cards consistently show up in the auctions, I often wondered if there were multiple winners for some cards, like the Parkhurst hockey commons. Did everyone who bid an amount he considered fair get a card? It seems that I remember winning a pretty high percentage of my bids.

Thanks for the thread and thanks for all those who posted the various articles in this thread.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:15 PM
Rob

Here's one owned by Nagy and Burdick...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e103ewingslab239.jpg (39.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg e103ewingnagybur236.jpg (56.3 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg e103ewingnagyburb237.jpg (37.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Now that is cool. Would love to have one like that in my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Here's one owned by Nagy and Burdick...