NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2023, 05:34 AM
pete ullman

Default All I see is TRIM!!!!!!!

For me...when I see older cards graded 10's...all I see are TRIM/ALTERATIONS. I just can't unsee what looks like TRIM to me.

Opinions on this 1962 babe ruth special??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 6.31.55 AM.jpg (195.9 KB, 1420 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 06:48 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default graded

sorry doesn't matter what we think ---a PSA 10's a 10?
Old 04-20-2023, 07:42 AM
Scott

I know things have been sketchy in the past, but based on serial numbers, this is a newly graded card (sometime in 2022). I have to believe that under the current scrutiny, graders are under enormous pressure to measure cards precisely.

After all, there are a lot more “trimmed” and “doesn’t meet minimum size” coming back from third party graders, at least PSA and SGC.

Having said that though, I do agree that I’ve never seen so many mint and gem mint vintage cards ever before — certainly none when I was collecting back in the 1980s and early 1990s BEFORE cards were graded and slabbed….
Old 04-20-2023, 07:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
sorry doesn't matter what we think ---a PSA 10's a 10?
^^THIS^^ Also I highly doubt when it was graded has anything to do with it being altered or not. Altering cards has been a big thing for many decades.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:47 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
I know things have been sketchy in the past, but based on serial numbers, this is a newly graded card (sometime in 2022). I have to believe that under the current scrutiny, graders are under enormous pressure to measure cards precisely.

After all, there are a lot more “trimmed” and “doesn’t meet minimum size” coming back from third party graders, at least PSA and SGC.

Having said that though, I do agree that I’ve never seen so many mint and gem mint vintage cards ever before — certainly none when I was collecting back in the 1980s and early 1990s BEFORE cards were graded and slabbed….
+1 Agree Well Said

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-20-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Look at this beauty with a recent cert number. It’s a fake!! If PSA, with all the scrutiny, cannot identify fakes, then I am dubious they can determine proper measurements.

As for whether the card in the initial thread is trimmed, just like PSA, I have no idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22C02FB3-9C94-42A7-91D0-5170D57AD26F.jpg (111.7 KB, 1272 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Photos are not evidence. Before and after photos are not evidence. That a submitter is a known notorious card doctor is not evidence. Nothing is evidence. If you have a question, ask for a review, and PSA in its sole discretion will decide.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:32 AM

Default to paraphrase a famous umpire

It ain't nothing until I call it it. substitute TPA for umpire for the modern version.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:43 AM

Default to misquote Otto Bismark

How long ere we lose the illusion that TPA was created to grade cards impartially and without prejudice for the benefit of the average hobby buyer
Old 04-20-2023, 10:53 AM
Rich v@n He$$

"Average hobby buyer?" Those days are long gone. There is some functionality for the average Joe, but the material benefits go to a select subgroup. I think everyone in the hobby at any real level acknowledged that long ago.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
How long ere we lose the illusion that TPA was created to grade cards impartially and without prejudice for the benefit of the average hobby buyer
As I like to say, all submitters are equal. Some are more equal than others.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:00 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

It's apples to oranges, however it's still all fruit. Altering was just as common or more so in the 80's and more. It's just done much better now.

Whether it was the commonplace action of dealers themselves trimming cards to make them more presentable or grabbing a sharpie to clean up the edges of a 71' Topps, it was rampant. The issue is, just like most things, they got a hell of a lot better at at. People get frustrated because it's so good that often the only way they know is by comparing an old scan of the same card. A process that was impossible a short while ago.

I have no solutions to solve it all and the unfortunate fact is that as time progresses this is only getting worse...no matter the effort. Technology will likely be able to create perfect replicas in 20 years and what will happen to collectables in that world?

Not sure what to say other than "buckle in, it's going to be a bumpy ride".

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Most likely submitted to PSA by someone with favorable "status". The top 2 corners were not even squared up, as they are noticeably curved. And the bottom 2 corners show touches of wear that in no way indicate a Gem Mint "10".

Definitely inferior to thousands of PSA 8s and 9s circulating out there. I guess it's simply too much to ask them for consistency.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-20-2023, 01:02 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I don't believe that for a second. They've never measured "precisely", and are not going to start now. How many times has the same card been at various points a Minsize, sent back as trimmed, AND resided in a PSA 6 holder? This kind of thing in the past and the revenue that PSA generates from people continuing to crack and resub is not something they are going to give up in the name of being more accurate. The large majority of their customer base has proven time and time again that they simply don't care, as long as their cards eventually make it into nice, numbered holders.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-20-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's really quite simple, actually. Pictured on the left is the card a 'regular' collector sent in to be graded. On the right is the card a 'preferred' submitter sent in...

1952mantlepsacomp02.jpg1952mantlepsacomp01.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-20-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:12 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As I like to say, all submitters are equal. Some are more equal than others.
George Orwell would be proud.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-20-2023, 04:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
George Orwell would be proud.
An interesting thing is that T.S. Eliot, who was working for a publisher at the time, rejected Animal Farm.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
An interesting thing is that T.S. Eliot, who was working for a publisher at the time, rejected Animal Farm.
Eliot is one of my favorite poets and Orwell one of my favorite modern prose writers. I never knew this.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I can't say for sure, but my lunch money is on 'trimmed' for the OP's question.

Funny how we can spot a trimmed/altered/fake card on a computer screen from a two-dimensional photo/scan but the TPGs have a hard time doing it with the actual card in hand. Something is rotten here.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-20-2023, 05:58 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyelm View Post
it's really quite simple, actually. Pictured on the left is the card a 'regular' collector sent in to be graded. On the right is the card a 'preferred' submitter sent in...
lol
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-23-2023, 04:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I don't believe that for a second. They've never measured "precisely", and are not going to start now. How many times has the same card been at various points a Minsize, sent back as trimmed, AND resided in a PSA 6 holder? This kind of thing in the past and the revenue that PSA generates from people continuing to crack and resub is not something they are going to give up in the name of being more accurate. The large majority of their customer base has proven time and time again that they simply don't care, as long as their cards eventually make it into nice, numbered holders.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:53 PM
Fred

Anybody want to bet that the ratio of the following is very lopsided?

High graded (razor sharp corners) that are "undersized"

VS

High graded (razor sharp corners) that are "oversized"

I continue to read posters saying that card sizes vary. I get that, but why is it that TPGs have probably graded MORE undersized cards with razor sharp corners than oversized cards?

Are we to believe that if card sizes do vary, that most of the cards will be "undersized" than "oversized"? Why is it that there are more "undersized" cards than "oversized" cards if we are to believe that cards vary in size?

Take a stack of just about ANY year card from the 50s going forward (heck, I'd even go back to Playballs or earlier) and I bet MOST will all be about the same size (within 1/32" or tighter).

How many different size holders does PSA have for Topps cards 1957 and later? I'm going to guess there's probably a basic standard holder for those cards and if you look at many of the cards with razor sharp corners, there's a bit more room between the plastic indents that hold the card in place.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It's trimmed. Cards in the 1960s were not laser cut; they have some minor rough cut if they're natural.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:05 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

to me a 6-7 is a vintage mint pack pulled card, anything over is suspect lol no cards come from a wrapped pack with out flaws.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:37 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Fred, its simple. If you have a random assortment of cards in a stack, the oversized cards will get the most wear and protect the undersized cards from having their razor sharp corners worn down.

Now doesn't that explain everything??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

VS

I continue to read posters saying that card sizes vary. I get that, but why is it that TPGs have probably graded MORE undersized cards with razor sharp corners than oversized cards?

Are we to believe that if card sizes do vary, that most of the cards will be "undersized" than "oversized"? Why is it that there are more "undersized" cards than "oversized" cards if we are to believe that cards vary in size?

Take a stack of just about ANY year card from the 50s going forward (heck, I'd even go back to Playballs or earlier) and I bet MOST will all be about the same size (within 1/32" or tighter).

How many different size holders does PSA have for Topps cards 1957 and later? I'm going to guess there's probably a basic standard holder for those cards and if you look at many of the cards with razor sharp corners, there's a bit more room between the plastic indents that hold the card in place.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-23-2023, 08:52 PM

Considering how irregular sized 1955 Bowman is, I don't know if I'd ever be willing to pay a premium for a high-end version of one.

I low-key feel some of the variability comes from decades of trimming hiding out in an already terribly irregular cut set.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

VS

That is because there are less oversized cards due to the fact they have been trimmed down.

As I have mentioned, this could be a 9 in the wrong hands!@
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bres.jpg (189.3 KB, 697 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 05:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
Considering how irregular sized 1955 Bowman is, I don't know if I'd ever be willing to pay a premium for a high-end version of one.

I low-key feel some of the variability comes from decades of trimming hiding out in an already terribly irregular cut set.
I put that set together a few years ago. What I noticed was the height was always exactly thew same but the length varied greatly. It took me a few Willie Mays cards to find one that wasn't extremely short with a couple of them being obviously trimmed.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

When I saw that title I thought this might be something eise...

I think Pete just likes to say "TRIM".

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-28-2023, 07:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I put that set together a few years ago. What I noticed was the height was always exactly thew same but the length varied greatly. It took me a few Willie Mays cards to find one that wasn't extremely short with a couple of them being obviously trimmed.
This is common with a lot of the Topps sets too. Most of them measure pretty much the exact same in the narrow direction (L/R for a standard card, and T/B for a horizontal issue), but they can vary by upwards of an entire 1/4" in the long direction. A card that is trimmed narrow is often easy to identify because of this. But a card that is trimmed short could easily never be detected if it was tall to begin with. I think there are likely millions of trimmed cards in slabs.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This is common with a lot of the Topps sets too. Most of them measure pretty much the exact same in the narrow direction (L/R for a standard card, and T/B for a horizontal issue), but they can vary by upwards of an entire 1/4" in the long direction. A card that is trimmed narrow is often easy to identify because of this. But a card that is trimmed short could easily never be detected if it was tall to begin with. I think there are likely millions of trimmed cards in slabs.
Would agree.

Just a general comment on the topic of trimming...Size is not what graders are supposed to rely on for determining if a card has been trimmed. Looking at the edges and consistency of the cuts are factors which would more likely than not determine if a card has been trimmed.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:54 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Adam,

My first thought also. A little part of my brain is also still in the adolescent teenage gutter. I guess those of us who grew up in the 70's know that slang.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-28-2023, 08:43 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Would agree.

Just a general comment on the topic of trimming...Size is not what graders are supposed to rely on for determining if a card has been trimmed. Looking at the edges and consistency of the cuts are factors which would more likely than not determine if a card has been trimmed.
This is absolutely correct. Measurements help, but the look and feel typically give it away prior to measuring.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:43 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

it might have been 48 hours...eddie murphy...the first time I heard the term "trim?"
Old 04-29-2023, 02:02 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Would agree.

That's true to a certain extent, but there are also a lot of slabbed cards out there that you can tell with absolute certainty that they have been trimmed simply by the size alone. If a card measures within spec, it measures within spec. And I would guess that the majority of trimmed cards are probably still within spec. But once a card gets too small, it simply has to have been trimmed, particularly for L/R cuts on vintage Topps cards.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:48 AM
Scott

To me, here’s the bottom line: there are cards that are centered, have nice edges, and generally sharp corners.

I can’t tell if a card is trimmed or not.

So while it may not be a 100% perfect solution, I will inevitably place my trust in PSA or SGC that they are better able to detect alterations to the card than I could if the card is raw.

I don’t know what else to say….
Old 04-29-2023, 07:49 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I guess those of us who grew up in the 70's know that slang.
which strikes me as odd considering how little trimming of the area in question was going on in that era...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-06-2023, 08:18 PM
pete ullman

I see more trim...memory lane. top/bottom borders look guilty to me...maybe all 4? But hey...it's in a slab
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 9.16.39 PM.jpg (157.8 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-06-2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:43 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I see more trim...memory lane. top/bottom borders look guilty to me...maybe all 4? But hey...it's in a slab
I don't believe anything above a 6 nowadays Pete, nor would I want anything above that in my collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-06-2023, 08:48 PM
pete ullman

it's gonna come out someday...in a memoir...or autobiography of a dealer/trimmer...the majority of high grade cards like over 90% are altered.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
it's gonna come out someday...in a memoir...or autobiography of a dealer/trimmer...the majority of high grade cards like over 90% are altered.
I can see the book title now;
To quote the great John Lennon:

"I have blisters on my fingers, memoirs of a card trimmer"

-
Old 05-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:

I don’t think it matters when the card was graded. Since the first card PSA has ever graded, they have shown they are incapable of consistently spotting alterations.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:00 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
To quote the great John Lennon:

"I have blisters on my fingers, memoirs of a card trimmer"
That was Ringo!
Old 05-06-2023, 09:07 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
to me a 6-7 is a vintage mint pack pulled card, anything over is suspect lol no cards come from a wrapped pack with out flaws.
This is a very good point. Especially considering how many 6-7 slabbed cards today would have been considered "mint" no questions asked in the mid-1980's and earlier.

The scrutiny applied to grade a vintage card an 8 or higher today would have been seen as unrealistic only a few decades ago. To me this is a huge part of the consistency problem with third party grading. They don't change the written standards, but they bump up the unsaid subjective needle to where today's 4 is yesterday's 5 or 6, and get away with it.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-07-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
That was Ringo!
I stand corrected, thank you.

-
Old 05-07-2023, 07:06 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I said the exact same thing about 3 years ago on a Facebook Group Called Tobacco Row...they HATED IT AND CALLED ME A FEAR MUNGER....sadly I think many know it’s true but couldn’t accept it.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:13 AM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I said the exact same thing about 3 years ago on a Facebook Group Called Tobacco Row...they HATED IT AND CALLED ME A FEAR MUNGER....sadly I think many know it’s true but couldn’t accept it.
I have no doubt that some higher grade cards are trimmed and the TPGs miss them at times. I don't think more than 90% and would contend that it's far, far less than that. My opinion and it clearly differs from yours.

Your recollection of that time frame and mine aren't the same as it relates to Tobacco Row. Simply, I disagree with your assessment on how your comments were received. You and a few others decided that every post being made or commented on had to be about trimming cards and how the hobby was going to hell. After several dozen of those exact comments it gets old. Just because people call you on it doesn't mean we didn't agree with the concept that people trim cards, it's an issue and it stinks. Some of us can know that's a thing yet focus on more positive aspects of the hobby as well. Getting beaten over the head with it is unnecessary and my guess is when someone called you on it, you left the group and left it with the above opinion. What I would've (and am) told (telling) you is no issue with bringing up a point like that but no need to bring it up daily for weeks in every post. It's just annoying. I doubt I'm the only person that felt that way at the time and nothing's changed. We can focus on the good of the hobby while acknowledging there are aspects of it that aren't great.

My take on those posts back then is that you were 100% fear mongering. You were thinking (and maybe still do) that the sky is falling or will fall in the tobacco market. And while you may think we hated what you said, speaking for myself, I didn't like it because of the frequency of you and others saying it. It was annoying. I want to talk about all aspects of the hobby and not get beaten over the head about only the bad things. That's what was happening then.

..and I do collect those types of cards and I completely disagree that more than 9 out of 10 of them have been altered. I'm cool if you don't agree with me and I can assure you I won't beat you over the head with my opinion. I'd appreciate the same in kind..

Troy Rambo
Old 05-07-2023, 12:05 PM
Luke Lyon

Yikes that Cobb 8
Old 05-07-2023, 03:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
I have no doubt that some higher grade cards are trimmed and the TPGs miss them at times. I don't think more than 90% and would contend that it's far, far less than that. My opinion and it clearly differs from yours.

Your recollection of that time frame and mine aren't the same as it relates to Tobacco Row. Simply, I disagree with your assessment on how your comments were received. You and a few others decided that every post being made or commented on had to be about trimming cards and how the hobby was going to hell. After several dozen of those exact comments it gets old. Just because people call you on it doesn't mean we didn't agree with the concept that people trim cards, it's an issue and it stinks. Some of us can know that's a thing yet focus on more positive aspects of the hobby as well. Getting beaten over the head with it is unnecessary and my guess is when someone called you on it, you left the group and left it with the above opinion. What I would've (and am) told (telling) you is no issue with bringing up a point like that but no need to bring it up daily for weeks in every post. It's just annoying. I doubt I'm the only person that felt that way at the time and nothing's changed. We can focus on the good of the hobby while acknowledging there are aspects of it that aren't great.

My take on those posts back then is that you were 100% fear mongering. You were thinking (and maybe still do) that the sky is falling or will fall in the tobacco market. And while you may think we hated what you said, speaking for myself, I didn't like it because of the frequency of you and others saying it. It was annoying. I want to talk about all aspects of the hobby and not get beaten over the head about only the bad things. That's what was happening then.

..and I do collect those types of cards and I completely disagree that more than 9 out of 10 of them have been altered. I'm cool if you don't agree with me and I can assure you I won't beat you over the head with my opinion. I'd appreciate the same in kind..

Troy Rambo
Troy, thanks for the dialogue. My intention was not to be annoying but to warn newer collectors of my opinion on slabbed high end tobacco cards.

I have collected cards for over 30+ years. I firmly believe that most high end slabbed t206 cards are in an altered state. Look at blowout and other sites, they point out before and after pictures over and over again. It has been going on and will continue to go on. That is my belief.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

The overwhelming majority of high grade vintage cards are altered, without question. Marshal Fogel's entire collection, just about, has been trimmed or was cut from a sheet. His MBA black diamond 52T Mantle PSA 10 is almost certainly sheet cut. Same with Nat Turner's high grade vintage collection. Anyone swimming in those waters cannot avoid them. The submissions from the early days, in particular, at PSA were loaded with trimmers. They were the early adopters that helped to build the PSA brand. There's no such thing as a "truly" gem mint vintage card.

Last edited by Snowman; 05-07-2023 at 06:37 PM.