NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default Glue cleaning on the backs of cards?

Posted By: Bryan

Quick question. I have a card that at one point has been in glued into an album and then removed. No paper loss on the card but there is still a silky layer on some of the back of the card. Is it possible to remove this without damaging the card? The reason why I ask is because the card is in MINT condition if it wasn't for the glue on the back. Any suggestions?

Old 11-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Tough situation. I bought a large group of cards that had glue on them too. Some of them (Obaks) I soaked and it came off pretty well. If I had a mint card I would probably not do that. I did have reasonable success at luke warm water and a cue tip and very gently rubbing it. On a few of them my gentle rubbing became signifiacant paper loss so be careful. Depending on the card I might even leave well enough alone, especially if it were valuable. Good luck......some others probably have more experience than me. regards

Old 11-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks for tip Leon. It would be very valuable if it were indeed MINT (meaning I could get the glue off). With the glue on it of course brings it significantly less valuable.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

A card that has glue on the back can never be mint, therefore I would always try to soak it off. Unless it is a very expensive card, because you always run the risk of the card soaking apart like my 1952 topps Mantle did. It split into two pieces the top layer and the bottom layer. I had to elmers glue it back together and it is now housed in a SGC 2 holder. I love grading.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Just wondering this questions as I saw Lipset's large lot of Sporting Life cards with blue/gray paper from a scrapbook stuck on the backs. I know paper can be removed from T206s by soaking but has anyone tried it with the M116s? Scott?

Old 11-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If the glue was homemade paste, which is often the case in scrapbooks from the turn of the century, it is flour and water and can usually be removed in distilled water (never use tap water--it has all sorts of crud that will stain the card). The famous lot of T206 Cobb/Cobb cards had this kind of paste. If it is a petrochemical or oil-based glue, however, all you will get is a wet card. pastes are nearly always white or off-white, while most oil glues are brownish. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Administrator

When you soak a card does it ruin the feel to it? Do soaked cards still grade? I think that my best bet is to soak the card and see what happens. The glue on the back is a white glue and at times can barely be seen, but you sure can feel it. But before I start this task and wanted to make sure that the card wouldn't have a much different look to it.
Thanks everyone.
BTW, Dan has it right as it is also a 52 topps card.