NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Cobb T206 Red question

Posted By: lovinvintage

Hey all,

This Cobb looks spectacular. Deep red color and a great picture. It looks a little too good. What do you think? It is the deepest red I have ever seen on one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8789368465&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1>

Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I would agree with you that it is a very deep, almost blood red background that is really striking. I also think it is real, and may garner a higher price because of the coloring.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 04-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

I think its a shame that people post auctions that are still active versus waiting until they are over. I know i'm a broken record on this, but........

Old 04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

You are not a broken record to me, Martin. I do not understand your rationale at all. Why do you see it as a "shame"?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It is a "shame" as there is far more exposure when someone points out a live auction on the board than if it's not pointed out. The potential for a higher price goes up....Which is also the reason I look at who is posting and who is selling very carefully....It's against board rules to advertise your auction on this main page. IF someone is just talking about a current auction then that is their call...even though I wouldn't personally do that for the aforementioned reason. best regards

Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

I think Leon covered it, and 'shame' is perhaps not the right word, but....

The shame would be that if i was tracking this particular card and was going to bid on it, now there are many more potential eye's that have seen it and many more potential bidders, thus i'd likely have to pay more to get it. Its a shame that i now have to pay more because someone outed the auction while its still in progress versus waiting until its over.

Its a courtesy thing to me.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

Rather than posting a link to the auction or mentioning Ebay, a better approach might be to provide the image and solicit comments. Yesterday, I did something similar on a Cobb card/advertisement that I had questions about; I provided the photo of the card but never mentioned it as being part of an active auction or Ebay.

Brian E.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

I agree with the aforementioned rationale, that is, to not out an ongoing auction...but at the same time wouldn't such non-partisan advertising bring us closer to the "right price."

Old 04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator

I certainly can appreciate that this board's preference is to not be a vehicle for advertising (other than the B/S/T). Also, I can understand Martin's position that as a potential bidder who has been tracking the card, it is now more clearly identified to a larger audience.

However, I wonder if anyone cares about my view that if given a choice of whether to be appraised of something when it is too late, or when there is still time; I would prefer to be appraised of something when there is still time.

Now I recognize that Brian E.'s suggestion addresses the poster's potential interest in verifying the legitimacy of his observations, without revealing the specific auction, and perhaps that is the best way to proceed. But I sure do not object to a "heads up" whenever something unusually neat comes around. I do not typically scour all offerings to make sure that I miss nothing. Actually I bet that there are lots of people whose obscession with this hobby could be taken up a notch, and others who could lighten up a bit. Its only cards. BUT IT IS CARDS!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Oh, I certainly agree that from a personal preference perspective, if I got a heads up on everything thats of personal interest to me then that would be great. I too would like to know about things before an auction ends versus after its done - but thats not the point.

People spend a lot of time and energy trying to find things in all manner of places. There was a post a few weeks back about an auction that had a bunch of T3's in it. Before the post its a likely bet that next to no one knew about it - it was a regional auction and there was no mention of T3 or Turkey Red or anything else. After someone posted about the auction, a day or so before the auction started, suddenly you have a whole host of people that now knew about it. Good for the auctioneer i'm sure, becuase they now had a bunch more bidders, but not so good for the person who through their own hard work (and it is hard work sometimes) or just luck, thought they'd be able to pick up some cards a decent price uncontested.

It is just cards, but its also just money, and if i'm going to do all the work in finding the bargains then i'm not about to announce to the world where those bargains are; once i do, they're not bargains anymore. Selfish maybe, but who here wouldn't prefer to get something for a bargain versus having to fight it out amongst others and pay more?

Old 04-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Brennan

I agree some what to not posting auctions that are current. The agreememnt would be not posting an obscure auction or a misplaced one or mislabelled auction. If anyone is looking to buy a Red Cobb, they've already seen this one and have it tracked. When I was looking to buy one, there wasn't an auction going anywhere that I didn't see. Now, sometime authenticity is in question, ( not this one) and alerting board members before they buy is a good thing, don't ya think?
I posted a year ago a thread entitled " Damned if you do, and Damned if you don't" about posting auctions that were running and trying to get opinions about them from fellow board members. The opinions were about 50-50. Its good in some instances and bad in others.
As far as this one. Anyone needing a Cobb has seen this already. Joe

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Back to the initial post....looks like Photoshop to me.

Frank

Old 04-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Very possible...

Old 04-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

If I understand the view of some members of this forum, the following post is viewed as inappropriate: "Paul--There is a McPhee in REA. I would think with all the material in the current group of auctions and the leveling off/decline in McPhee prices this may be your time".

I hope this is not correct, because it makes helping each other a behavior which is not well received by all.