NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default ferguson bakery card, second request

Posted By: jim sexton

Apparently the 1916 D381 Ferguson Bakery card with the coupon still attached is a very rare item. I have been searching for quite some time, trying to find an image of this card. While several collectors have Fergusons, none had any with the coupon still attached. Does anyone on the board have an image of this or know where an image can be found? Many thanks, jims

Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree. My guess is Larry Frisch has some but I am not sure. I would love to see one too as I never have seen one either. I do have the Wood that is supposed to be one, but without that coupon? regards

Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim sexton

I contacted Larry a few months ago. He said he had a large collection of the D381s, but not a single one with the coupon still attached.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

This is an image from oldcardboard.com

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ahh...just noticed you said "Ferguson's bakery" and this is a Fleischman's...sorry

Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator

OK then....if Larry F doesn't have one AND the collective experience that I have asked about this is about 300 yrs....is there really a Ferguson's Bakery type D381? I would be interested in what Bob Lemke would say about it? I am the type that either has to see something to believe it or get information from a very reliable source. The question remains...Is there really a Ferguson's Bakery type D381 or is this another urban card legend like the Darby Cigarettes cards (let's save that for another thread please)....regards all

Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The Ferguson's like Leon's Joe Wood card have a single line of print, and the Fleischmans have 2 lines of print.

I only have a scan of a Fleischmann with coupon, and I did a search on internet and found many others with coupons but they were all the Fleischmann's cards.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Yes, they are easy to tell apart but at this point I am very skeptical of ANY Ferguson's Bakery cards in the D381 series. I am waiting, and have been for years, to see even 1 Ferguson's coupon. I am not saying that they "don't" exist at all, rather I am saying I am very skeptical....since no one, that I have spoken with, has ever seen one....

Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It's clear that the Fergusons have only one line of text. Leon's example obviously has a trimmed bottom edge. I suppose it's possible that it is merely a trimmed card. But it sure seems more likely that the card had a tab that was cut off. So doesn't that mean these things were issued with tabs? Maybe the offer on those tabs was just so good that no one could resist cutting them off.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Paul- how is it clearly a Ferguson's and not a variation of a Fleischmann's? No one has ever seen one? I agree there was most likely a tab/coupon on Smokey Joe but who's to say what it was?

Old 03-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Leon your Wood card is the only card pictured on the Internet that has the single line (NAME/POSITION/TEAM all on one line), there are many pictures of D381's , many with coupons, but yours is the only one like that. I just think the Ferguson cards are far rarer, and with a coupon obviously even rarer.

Until someone shows me a single line card with a Fleishmann coupon, I will still think there are Fergusons. Where would they get that name??

Frank

Old 03-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jims

The Ferguson does exist and it has a unique message on it distinct from the Fleischmann card. The tear off coupon on the Ferguson card was used to re
deem a 23 inch square felt pillow top premium with 12 small pennants affixed to it. A small picture of the premium can be found on the ink blotter pictured in Frank Slocum's book on classic baseball cards. The text on the Ferguson coupon reads, "Bring or send 50 coupons to Ferguson Bakery, No 853 Albany St., Roxbury, Boston and receive in exchange a beautiful felt pillow top made from star baseball pennants or favorite movie actor pennants. This photo card was wrapped with Peerless bread, perfect for the home plate". Someone sent me the text but no picture. So it does exist.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks...that's all I needed. Then they do exist. And to think it took me years to get the info you just provided.....best regards

Old 04-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Here is a scan of a photocopy a collecting friend sent me to share. I'll also paraphrase his letter as follows:

"Most of the Fergusons have the caption on one line while the Fleischmanns are on two lines. most photos are identical, but some are cropped tighter. In a very few cases, the caption is different (position change)."

Enjoy!

Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

First time I have ever seen one....Shoot, we might even call them that 4 letter word.....rare