NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Default I do not like or have graded cards

Am I completely alone on this?

I've collected vintage cards for years and always crack open any graded cards (then placing in a sleeved top loader) if ever purchased.

My reasons :

1) I don't like the large size and thickness of the slabs. It makes them difficult to store.

2) I don't like that the cards can not be touched if so desired.

3) I don't like the grading wording system. Example; owning a "poor" or "fair" Mickey Mantle.

4) I don't like the judging system. I often find that lower graded cards visually look better than higher graded cards.

5) Most importantly. I find that graded cards take away from the youthful enjoyment of the cards. It makes the cards into a business commodity instead of a family heirloom which is what they should be.

I'm curious on any members thoughts on my view? Thank you.

Last edited by Chuck9788; 10-16-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

You are entitled to your view and enjoy. I don't share any of that. I think vintage cards in holders (particularly SGC ones) look real neat, and I can show them off to people without worrying about someone doing something stupid or having dirty hands. And if it's a valuable card I have piece of mind that its secure.
Everyone has their views on this. I have no reason to hold a Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig card in my fingers. They were long dead when I was born so I'm not reliving anything by touching them with my fingers. If I want to relive my childhood I'll buy a few packs of 2017 cards. Which I've done.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-16-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Robert Williams

I like them both ways...I see the pros and cons of both.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Archive

I agree with you on almost all 5 of your reasons, but I also see grading as a necessity of the hobby.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Would you could you in a box?

Would you could you with a fox?

Sorry this sounded like the guy from Green eggs and Ham complaining, but I see you have bought graded cards in the past..

1. Added protection, yes they can get heavy!

2. Added protection from inappropriate touching

3. Terms have been around long before grading was

4. When you (or heirs) go to sell, they'd best be graded

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
Am I completely alone on this?

I've collected vintage cards for years and always crack open any graded cards (then placing in a sleeved top loader) if ever purchased.

My reasons :

1) I don't like the large size and thickness of the slabs. It makes them difficult to store.

2) I don't like that the cards can not be touched if so desired.

3) I don't like the grading wording system. Example; owning a "poor" or "fair" Mickey Mantle.

4) I don't like the judging system. I often find that lower graded cards visually look better than higher graded cards.

5) Most importantly. I find that graded cards take away from the youthful enjoyment of the cards. It makes the cards into a business commodity instead of a family heirloom which is what they should be.

I'm curious on any members thoughts on my view? Thank you.
You forgot to add the insane price increase that the magic plastic holder creates. I would much rather buy several more cards than pay for 1 magic plastic slab.

To be fair i have a few graded cards.

I have 2 Beckett graded cards that came from their testing period before any card was graded for the public.

I have a few cards that they screwed up on the label. I collect error cards so figured I would add a few error slabs. These are from all the major companies, no bias here.

I have a counterfeit card in a PSA slab. Have owned a few of these.

I have a complete 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set in SGC slabs. I bought this set raw from a fellow member and they turned out to be way nicer than I thought I was purchasing. I like to touch my cards on a regular basis so i got them graded to protect them from myself. Every card in the set is graded NrMint or better except the few with wax stains.

I also have a few cards I picked up in slabs and left them in the slabs. They are high end condition or top tier HOFers. Most cards I buy in slabs get cracked out though.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Bob Davies

I agree with you on several levels. I have a few graded cards, but I've cracked a few too. I'm putting together a nice set of 1964 (hockey) tall boys. If I buy a graded card, I crack it. Way too much plastic on the tall boys.

However, the point about having your heirs sell things is where I am at. I am leaning to get more of my higher end items graded, both for protection and so my daughters can maximize any return... which I hope is not for many years yet.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
You are entitled to your view and enjoy. I don't share any of that. I think vintage cards in holders (particularly SGC ones) look real neat, and I can show them off to people without worrying about someone doing something stupid or having dirty hands. And if it's a valuable card I have piece of mind that its secure.
Everyone has their views on this. I have no reason to hold a Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig card in my fingers. They were long dead when I was born so I'm not reliving anything by touching them with my fingers. If I want to relive my childhood I'll buy a few packs of 2017 cards. Which I've done.
5++++
Old 10-16-2017, 02:26 PM

I strongly prefer the look of raw cards, but I understand the benefits of grading and purchasing graded for some (but not all) cards and certain other memorabilia. However, in my opinion some folks are too quick to submit something to be slabbed without thinking through the need to do so for a particular item. If they like the way it looks and prefer it that way, fine, but it doesn't always make sense to grade some items when various other holders will protect items just as adequately. The answer to the grading question is, obviously, up to each collector to decide for themselves. I just fear a situation where collectors feel they must grade everything, just as a matter of course.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:29 PM

I break out most cards that are graded, but there are some that it would be foolish for me to break out, such as my PSA 8 1968 Kahn's Ron Santo Red Stripe. Whenever I buy a 1952 Topps high number that is PSA 3 or 4, a Topps Venezuelan PSA 1 or 2, or a Pro's Pizza PSA 1 or 2, I break it out immediately.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
........................... a Pro's Pizza PSA 1 or 2, I break it out immediately.
Who wouldn’t? Their pepperoni is “to die for”.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Banned

Now I’m hungry.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Al Richter

I agree with you because I am strictly a collector and baseball cards are just a hobby for me. If I was primarily a seller or even a collector/seller, or used baseball cards as an investment, grading would a fact of life
Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The problem isn't the grading system, but how seriously the grading system is taken.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Default Si.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Now I’m hungry.

..Yo Quiero Taco Bell

Old 10-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Enjoy :

[QUOTE=
To be fair i have a few graded cards.

I have a few cards that they screwed up on the label. I collect error cards so figured I would add a few error slabs. These are from all the major companies, no bias here.

[/QUOTE]

..The card is a 1934 Gold Medal...I need to find one in a BVG holder to complete my trifecta...

Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I agree with you because I am strictly a collector and baseball cards are just a hobby for me. If I was primarily a seller or even a collector/seller, or used baseball cards as an investment, grading would a fact of life
I agree with this statement. If you are strictly a collector, graded cards can be a pain in the ass. If you are anything other than that, they're the only way to go.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:42 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I own a mix of both. For expensive/valuable cards I like the protection of a slab.

For lower dollar cards, especially if I have a lot of certain type like a set, they can get awfully bulky if all graded. In these cases I prefer most raw, sometimes may just get the stars graded.

To each his own, there's no right or wrong way. Do whatever makes you comfortable and happy.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The problem isn't the grading system, but how seriously the grading system is taken.
I've never heard it stated that way, and I love it.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Once in a while I like to relive my childhood by opening a pack or box from that era. I opened a box of 89 upper deck a while back. Didn't pull a griffey, but it was a lot of fun.

I completely agree on the graded card issue. There's nothing wrong with owning and collecting raw cards, but for cards worth more than a few hundred dollars I prefer the peace of mind that comes with knowing my card is basically safe in the holder.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I agree with a little of what everyone has said here. I personally love sgc slabs for prewar. That being said I have a few raw matty’s In basic screw downs that look incredible as is. I think it really comes down to taste up until a certain figure. I think it’s foolish to purchase anything north of $1k raw. If you wanna crack after buying then that’s your prerogative but given the shadiness in the hobby I think it’s best to buy the slabs for any nominal large purchase. In an extreme example can you imagine someone forking over $100k on a raw Wagner? Why take chances in such situations.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 AM

I recently completed 520 t206 set. Minus the big 4, a complete set. 80% of the cards are in PSA/SCG holders.

I absolutely would prefer to crack them all and put the cards is a nice binder. Easy to look at and show off.

I never will of course because I want to maintain the value, but I would love them in a binder.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I totally agree with the OP and this quote. Baseball cards have always been a hobby for me and never an investment. I see over and over on the forum the term "buy the card, not the holder" (my paraphrase), but when you buy a graded card, you DO buy the holder. If you have two identical pre-war cards, and one is in a holder, you are going to pay more for the graded card. I've never seen (at least on this forum) an exception to that.

I do understand the argument of having grading to cut down on the proliferation of counterfeits, peace of mind for the purchaser, etc. But it seems to me (in my opinion) that the only ones getting rich from graded and encapsulated cards are the companies that perform the service. Plus, there is still a lot of counterfeit cards, trimmed cards, etc. according to many more knowledgeable than me on this forum, and they still get graded....

I have been collecting for 42 years and own zero graded cards. I have purchased 2 graded cards in the past, two 1967 Japanese Kabaya-Leaf cards, only because 99% of the K-L cards are graded, and I quickly broke them out of the plastic and threw the plastic and PSA info in the trash. All my cards are in Ultra Pro platinum sheets, and I enjoy looking through my collection that way. Is my collection valuable? No, but then, I've never had the disposable income to afford the valuable cards, but hey, that's okay. Baseball cards are for kids, whether 7 or 70....
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have both, for a lot of what I collect grading simply isn't practical. But over the years I've picked up a few nicer cards that I've sent in, and a handful that I've bought graded. Usually because they were good deals either way, or looked a lot nicer than the grade, or even a couple that were issued graded.

I don't really get the hate for grading, it's a tool like any other. Other hobbies have done it for longer, and nearly all have some system for either grading or authentication. Some have had at least authentication since the 1860's.

I don't see much need to grade cards with obvious problems, unless the confidence that it's what it appears to be has value. So I have graded a few that are in lesser condition.

It's fine to try to retain the "purity" of being just a collector, but somewhere along the line you or a family member will become a seller.
And I haven't met many collectors who largely ignore condition when buying.

Yes, grading has made cards a bit of a commodity, and that has raised prices since some people who don't want to spend the time or effort to do their own authenticating and grading can now spend a bit more comfortably.
But that same rise in prices has made more cards available for all of us, and it could be argued that the concentration on the top grades has actually lowered or restrained prices for those of us that collect mid grade or less.

Steve B
Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I do understand the argument of having grading to cut down on the proliferation of counterfeits, peace of mind for the purchaser, etc.
This and...

I remember going to a card shop in 1989 with my friend to sell his Montana rookie. The shop owner smelled my friend needed the money so he helped him out taking that "below average, low grade, no one will ever buy this" Montana off his hands. Doing him a favor you know. Of course the next time we went in, there it was, with a MINT sticker on it.

Last edited by silvor; 10-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
This and...

I remember going to a card shop in 1989 when my friend to sell his Montana rookie. The shop owner smelled my friend needed the money so he helped him out taking that "below average, low grade, no one will ever buy this" Montana off his hands. Doing him a favor you know. Of course the next time we went in, there it was, with a MINT sticker on it.

Those same slimebuckets ripped off my grandmothers coin collection. Acted like they were doing her a favor by giving her anything. Meanwhile they ripped her off to the tune of $15,000.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM
€d M!££w00D

I collect both graded (player sets) and ungraded (full sets) so I honestly don’t have a preference, but I would counter the “protection” argument for having cards graded. I would take a penny sleeve, toploader, and team bag any day over a slab solely based upon level of protection. Way cheaper as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Mark Peavey

Default Raw

Every card I have is raw. Used to have a complete Turkey Red set graded by PSA. Now I have a near complete raw Turkey Red set. I like it much better than I did the graded set.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seems to me there are people in every hobby who want to distinguish themselves from others as somehow being purer or more authentic in their collecting motives. I just don't get why that's important.

Jay Leno is a multi-millionaire who loves cars. He can buy the rarest cars out there and never drive them if he desires. Does that make him any less of a car collector / car lover than my friend down the street who has been restoring the love of his life in the garage for the last 25 years. I don't think so.

I am sure most of the oft-malligned "investors" in the hobby love baseball and love baseball cards as much as people who go through the dollar boxes at shows. I know a bunch of them. And they won't shut up about baseball cards.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-17-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Banned

I like to call it gatekeeping. The gatekeepers of the hobby and it goes both ways.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Dead on.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Brad

As primarily a set collector I have no interest in graded cards. I do understand the other viewpoint as well and when making a serious investment a professionally authenticated card(s) makes sense.

When looking at the forums I do find it frustrating to weed through all the graded stuff which I am not interested in. Has there ever been any suggestions or thoughts about separating out graded and raw cards in the forums?

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
As primarily a set collector I have no interest in graded cards. I do understand the other viewpoint as well and when making a serious investment a professionally authenticated card(s) makes sense.

When looking at the forums I do find it frustrating to weed through all the graded stuff which I am not interested in. Has there ever been any suggestions or thoughts about separating out graded and raw cards in the forums?
What does that even mean? Does it mean a Net54baseball-Graded and Net54baseball-Ungraded site? From what I have seen in the BST areas is that members are quite explicit about graded or not.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
What does that even mean? Does it mean a Net54baseball-Graded and Net54baseball-Ungraded site? From what I have seen in the BST areas is that members are quite explicit about graded or not.
I never said anything about a different site. I very clearly stated in the forums.

For example: When I am searching for cards FT or FS in the BST Forums many threads are not applicable to my collecting interests because a large % of the cards are graded, which is absolutely fine just not what a lot of collectors are interested in.

IF a sub forum could be created for raw cards FS/FT it would be much easier for non graded card collectors to find items of interest. If it is not an option then I will gladly continue to scroll through the threads titles.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Al Richter

I thought it was just a question of do you favor graded or ungraded cards as a personal preference, and if so why. Did not realize there was a pure and authentic classification at stake
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
I agree with a little of what everyone has said here. I personally love sgc slabs for prewar. That being said I have a few raw matty’s In basic screw downs that look incredible as is. I think it really comes down to taste up until a certain figure. I think it’s foolish to purchase anything north of $1k raw. If you wanna crack after buying then that’s your prerogative but given the shadiness in the hobby I think it’s best to buy the slabs for any nominal large purchase. In an extreme example can you imagine someone forking over $100k on a raw Wagner? Why take chances in such situations.
+1, but I would lower the threshold to $500.00. There's still a lot of scammers out there (as there is wherever it is perceived there is quick, nearly effortless money to be made), and although the grading companies don't catch all of the scammers' machinations, my opinion is that they do catch most of it. So marketability is a prime concern, and if you're interested in value appreciation, grading IMHO is definitely the way to go. If you're buying raw, you'd better have knowledge and experience as to the tricks of the scammers' trade, such as putting the cards through a paper mill/press (or just the corners) to make them slightly larger, then trimming them back to size with the appearance of NrMt-Mt corners (you will need to examine the edges under magnification to ascertain whether this has been done, and know what the edges are supposed to look like as cut from the factories); coloring added to the card to conceal wear (such as black ink or even crayon on what appear to be very nice examples of '71 Topps baseball cards), which you will need magnification or even a black light to detect; etc, etc.

And many counterfeits are also still being made. At the 2009 National in Cleveland, a dealer had what was presented to be an example of a 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth on display. I politely asked if I might examine the card with my 16X loupe, and was not surprised to see the irregular, random dot pattern that is produced by taking a picture of a real card, re-screening it, and printing the card from there. Real halftone printing of vintage cards leaves a linear, regular dot pattern in comparison.

I presently collect a certain set with many short-prints in it, some of which are tremendously tough to obtain, and of necessity, buy most of these raw, usually on ebay. But I check them when I receive them to ascertain they are not counterfeit.

Summing up, it is both safer and better for marketability and value appreciation to buy graded cards past a certain value point.

Just my $2.50 worth,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-18-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

what about a nice high grade example ?

so you get a psa 7 or 8 card and immed break it out?

or are we talking all low grade cards anyway?

I do understand it I just think youre crazy for breaking out of holders it can be done anytime why rush haha
Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
I never said anything about a different site. I very clearly stated in the forums.

For example: When I am searching for cards FT or FS in the BST Forums many threads are not applicable to my collecting interests because a large % of the cards are graded, which is absolutely fine just not what a lot of collectors are interested in.

IF a sub forum could be created for raw cards FS/FT it would be much easier for non graded card collectors to find items of interest. If it is not an option then I will gladly continue to scroll through the threads titles.
Gotcha, but I think there are enough spaces in a thread title for members to put whether something is graded or not. I am not a fan of too many separate forums/categories, generally speaking. But not a bad idea.....

Last edited by Leon; 10-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.