NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 PM
David Kathman

Default Bill Mastro in the hobby press, 1969-1970

Last month, I posted the July-August 1971 issue of The Sports Advertiser's Journal (here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220718), which included a brief article by 18-year-old Bill Mastro. I said that it was the earliest piece of hobby writing by Mastro that I was aware of, but that it was entirely possible that there were earlier ones I hadn't seen. Last week I read through all my other Sports Advertiser's Journals (complete from December 1969 through the penultimate issue in Fall 1973), and found a couple more articles by Mastro in 1970. I was pretty sure I remembered seeing a Mastro reference in another publication from even earlier, so tonight I went through the other hobby publications I have from 1969 and 1970 looking for Mastro articles, references, or display ads. (I didn't bother looking through the classifieds.) Below is what I found. I make no claim that this is exhaustive (for one thing, I have no Trader Speaks from before January 1970), but what I did find is still interesting.

The earliest Mastro reference I found was in the April 1969 Ballcard Collector, in "Martin Opens His Mail", where editor George Martin quotes letters he had gotten, and sometimes replies to them. One of them was from 16-year-old Mastro, who praised Martin's paper and ended by saying "I only collect baseball items":

Then in the July 1969 Ballcard Collector, the same mail column has another letter from Mastro, praising the June issue's cover (which reproduced two short newspaper articles about kids and baseball cards) and Ed Broder's article on getting free material from baseball teams:

Next is the September 1969 Sports Trader, where the "News and Views on Collecting" column was similar to the above, with editor Richard Burns reproducing letters from readers and reacting to them. Mastro wrote that it was wrong to write to survivors of deceased ballplayers asking for signatures from checks, but Burns disagreed:

The December 1969 Sports Trader had a half-page ad from Mastro, listing his wants and the cards he had to trade:

Also in December 1969, The Ballcard Collector had a smaller "For Sale" ad by Mastro, including 49 T206s for $9 (18 cents apiece):

The January 1970 Sports Advertiser's Journal has the earliest hobby article by Mastro that I've seen, about the 1953 Mother's Cookies set:

The December 1970 Sports Advertiser's Journal has a longer and more interesting article by Mastro, extending over two pages. Editor Jay Knapp had asked all his previous writers to contribute to the Christmas issue, so Mastro wrote something called "Bill's Bulletin", in which he tried to sound casual and witty. He was looking for T206 Plank and Wagner, and he had Demmitt and O'Hara to trade. He was still a couple months shy of his 18th birthday.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:07 AM
Dave_Berg

Interesting stuff. Pretty sure I didn't have a " study" when I was 17. I did have a basement with a ping pong table
Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM
David Kathman

I've already found an addition to this thread. In the April 1969 Ballcard Collector, from which I posted above the "Martin Opens His Mail" column with a letter from Mastro praising the paper, also has a "For Sale" ad by Mastro, which I've posted below. (See below the "Card Collecting on the West Coast" article, which I'm about to post in another thread.) In fact, I assume that Mastro's letter of praise for The Ballcard Collector accompanied his ad when he sent it in.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That column was written by one of our board members, hi Ed!!

One of the things he writes is that collectors are upset that non-collectors are selling cards at higher prices than they should be. If they only had ebay back then.

Last edited by Leon; 05-05-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:19 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That column was written by one of our board members, hi Ed!!

One of the things he writes is that collectors are upset that non-collectors are selling cards at higher prices than they should be. If they only had ebay back then.
I didn't realize that Ed Broder was on Net54. Or maybe you mentioned it once and I forgot. I also posted this article, along with more context about its role in the 1969 West Coast convention later that year, in "More on 1969 and the dawn of card conventions" last night.