NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Do you leave negative feedback for excessive shipping?

Curious if you leave neg. feedback (eBay) for high shipping charges? Do you feel it is warranted if you know the shipping charges before you bid? Should that even matter? Do you leave 1 or 2 stars then for what you may fee are high/excessive shipping charges? What do you feel is reasonable vs. excessive? Do you leave neg. for cards sent not well packed or protected - regardless if arrived damaged or not?

From my perspective, I don't leave neg. for shipping bcse I know it going in, but won't hesitate to tag 1 or 2 stars if I feel it's high/excessive. Especially if it's for a $40-$50 card, over $5 and comes in a reg. white envelope or .59 cent bubble wrap envelope.

Just interested in your take here
Old 04-29-2016, 07:30 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I agree, Ed. It's not right to leave a neg for excessive shipping if the fees are stated in the listing, but I'll definitely ding the stars.

Edited to add: I buy a lot of single cards, so "excessive" to me is anything over $6.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-29-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Ryan Waggoner

I'll leave neg. feedback if they send it in an envelope with little to no protection, and charge a price that warrants better care. As a buyer, if I pay $3 or more for shipping I have an expectation. I have this expectation because I sell on eBay and I know what things cost. I can ship an item in a bubble mailer, with a sleeve, and a top loader; Costs me $2.50 total for all of that combined with the cost of shipping. I understand that eBay charges 10% on shipping, which is a joke BTW, so if they charge $3, even $3.25 I won't think anything of it; as long as they ship it properly. But, to charge that much and throw it in a white envelope; to me that's gouging a customer and should be dealt with accordingly. And by accordingly I mean contacting the buyer to see if they'll make it right, if not then I leave neg. feedback. I should mention that I've only ever had one seller who took issue with that.

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 04-29-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I won't, since I knew the charge ahead of time, and so far I've been lucky that when the sellers I've bought from have charged high rates, it's because they're shipping it in a bombproof box.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
I'll leave neg. feedback if they send it in an envelope with little to no protection, and charge a price that warrants better care. As a buyer, if I pay $3 or more for shipping I have an expectation. I have this expectation because I sell on eBay and I know what things cost. I can ship an item in a bubble mailer, with a sleeve, and a top loader; Costs me $2.50 total for all of that combined with the cost of shipping. I understand that eBay charges 10% on shipping, which is a joke BTW, so if they charge $3, even $3.25 I won't think anything of it; as long as they ship it properly. But, to charge that much and throw it in a white envelope; to me that's gouging a customer and should be dealt with accordingly. And by accordingly I mean contacting the buyer to see if they'll make it right, if not then I leave neg. feedback. I should mention that I've only ever had one seller who took issue with that.
Not sure what kind of discount shipping you get, but the cheapest I can currently ship a 3 ounce package is $2.54., and this DOESN"T include the cost of a bubble mailer, sleeve, top loader, etc...
Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Not sure what kind of discount shipping you get, but the cheapest I can currently ship a 3 ounce package is $2.54., and this DOESN"T include the cost of a bubble mailer, sleeve, top loader, etc...
Shipping 1 card:

Mail Cost: $2.54
Bubble Mailer $.11
Cardboard Pads $.16
Tape $.03
Biz Card and/or marketing Materials $.03-$.40
CS1 $.05
eBay charge 10% $.35

I charge $3.50 and payout $3.51~ on every shipment to get it to the door. Buyers who complain about shipping charges and how "you try to make money on them" get blocked.

Last edited by Sean1125; 04-29-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 PM
D@le Irv*n

I have only written a few sellers telling them their shipping fees, using Global, are outrageous.

Surprisingly, a lot of sellers are not aware it is so expensive for us CDN's.
I have also seen other outrageous fees, like $47.00 dollars charged for one card using something other than Global but I haven't bothered wasting my time telling them as I am sure they are aware of it?

Needless to say, neither seller ever receives any bids from me.

Edit: I should add, a couple sellers I have notified have now changed their shipper from Global to something way more reasonable and affordable.

Last edited by irv; 04-29-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I try to notice shipping charges before I buy. I think the only time I've ever left negative feedback was on an overly difficult transaction, probably only once or twice in a couple thousand transactions.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Shipping 1 card:

Bubble Mailer $.11
Cardboard Pads $.16
Tape $.03
CS1 $.05
eBay charge 10% $.35

I charge $3.50 and payout $3.51~ on every shipment to get it to the door. Buyers who complain about shipping charges and how "you try to make money on them" get blocked.
Is this a joke?? Why the heck does your business card and/or marketing materials get factored into the customer's cost of shipping???? That's not a buyer's responsibility to pay the costs of YOU promoting YOUR business. That's what revenue is for. Come on!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Is this a joke?? Why the heck does your business card and/or marketing materials get factored into the customer's cost of shipping???? That's not a buyer's responsibility to pay the costs of YOU promoting YOUR business. That's what revenue is for. Come on!!
Hes only charging $3.50 shipping. What more do you want? Instead of $.11 for the bubble mailer, how about he charges $.51 and throws in the business card / marketing material for free? Would that make you feel better about the $3.50 shipping?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

I think it would be pretty ridiculous to leave negative feedback for shipping charges that you are aware of before you bid.

If a card is mailed to me unprotected in a white envelope I would leave negative feedback regardless of the shipping charge.

As far as people complaining of a $3-5 shipping charge that's why I don't sell on ebay and consign anything I'm looking to move. The time it takes to pack, ship, drive to the post office, cost of gas, etc more than makes up for the perceived discrepancy in materials alone.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Hes only charging $3.50 shipping. What more do you want? Instead of $.11 for the bubble mailer, how about he charges $.51 and throws in the business card / marketing material for free? Would that make you feel better about the $3.50 shipping?
He's listing SPECIFIC charges for shipping, m_ron. Things like the cost of tape and the bubble mailer. 'Charging' someone for business cards and marketing materials is not a freaking SPECIFIC cost of shipping to be passed on to the buyer.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-30-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

Shipping 3 oz or less is now 2.45 after the USPS rollback a few weeks ago. The 9 cents per package savings should make a nice rebate for volume shippers.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
He's listing SPECIFIC charges for shipping, moron. Things like the cost of tape and the bubble mailer. 'Charging' someone for business cards and marketing materials is not a freaking SPECIFIC cost of shipping to be passed on to the buyer.
Dumbass
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
He's listing SPECIFIC charges for shipping, moron. Things like the cost of tape and the bubble mailer. 'Charging' someone for business cards and marketing materials is not a freaking SPECIFIC cost of shipping to be passed on to the buyer.
The $3.50 charge is fully disclosed prior to purchasing the item. The additional cost for shipping cards above that is $.10 per item.

eBay taking $.35 per shipping charge which is something that is unable to be passed on to the consumer.

eBay also charges to list each item and Paypal charges to sell each item.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:04 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

What about the cost of printer ink and labels???......
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Buyers who complain about shipping charges and how "you try to make money on them" get blocked.
I think we found you one right here in this thread.

Hey, Weeping Willow, err, I mean Jolly Elm, how about sharing your eBay ID here so that several of us can block you?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
What about the cost of printer ink and labels???......
As a collector trying to connect with other collectors you should be factoring in your printer ink, labels (I forgot those on the list above, whoops - it's actually a loss of 4 cents per package), and business cards.

How many of you guys are here that are collectors, but have a business card for your hobby business?

I meet quite a few guys who set up at card shows on the weekend that pass out business cards and are collectors. Their table cost and business card cost may be minimal, but it still factors in.

Let's get back to the topic: negative feedback for excessive shipping. Would you leave a negative feedback for an charge of $3.50, disclosed at the time of listing?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default I feel a heart felt apology coming on

Any who , I don't mind what someone charges for shipping.i make a price on a card and factor in the shipping. If it more then I'm willing to pay for the card. I don't buy it . I hate when I get a ridge card holder and not a top loader. I just might never buy a card from you again.

I will leave neutral feedback and low stars if you ship me any card between only two piece of cardboard and blue tape! ✌🏽
Old 04-29-2016, 09:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Dumbass
Just like a few years ago, a-hole. Any f**** time. Bring it, tough guy. Bring it!!!!!

Casey Stengel

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: f bomb
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
The $3.50 charge is fully disclosed prior to purchasing the item. The additional cost for shipping cards above that is $.10 per item.

eBay taking $.35 per shipping charge which is something that is unable to be passed on to the consumer.

eBay also charges to list each item and Paypal charges to sell each item.
Listen, Sean. You can charge whatever the hell you want for shipping. I've bought quite a lot from you off of ebay. No problem. My 'objection' is you adding your marketing expenses to your list in your first post. Tape and envelopes are specifically a part of a buyer's expense to get something shipped. Paying for your business cards is an operating expense and has nothing to do with the actual mailing.

Casey Stengel

Old 04-29-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Listen, Sean. You can charge whatever the hell you want for shipping. I've bought quite a lot from you off of ebay. No problem. My 'objection' is you adding your marketing expenses to your list in your first post. Tape and envelopes are specifically a part of a buyer's expense to get something shipped. Paying for your business cards is an operating expense and has nothing to do with the actual mailing.
I understand your point of view. I respectfully disagree.

Any way we look at it this is a matter of a few cents and washes out.

I didn't add in label cost, the $.05-$.10 eBay cost to get the item up, or the $.30+2.9% Paypal fee. At the end of the day the only entity winning on shipping cost is eBay/Paypal.

Last edited by Sean1125; 04-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Just like a few years ago, asshole. Any fucking time. Bring it, tough guy. Bring it!!!!!
What happened a few years ago? Be very spevific about all the details because if you dont, I will (and I still have the PMs to back it up). Go ahead, tell exactly what happened.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-29-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
As a collector trying to connect with other collectors you should be factoring in your printer ink, labels (I forgot those on the list above, whoops - it's actually a loss of 4 cents per package), and business cards.

How many of you guys are here that are collectors, but have a business card for your hobby business?

I meet quite a few guys who set up at card shows on the weekend that pass out business cards and are collectors. Their table cost and business card cost may be minimal, but it still factors in.

Let's get back to the topic: negative feedback for excessive shipping. Would you leave a negative feedback for an charge of $3.50, disclosed at the time of listing?
My comment wasn't directed at you Sean; I'm actually impressed you've figured out exactly what it DOES cost to ship a small package. I remember this topic (the cost of shipping) being discussed before, and I think it sheds some light on the subject, expecially for those people who think sellers are "gouging" when they charge $3.00 or so to ship an item.
Anyway, with that being said, NO I don't think $3.50 is excessive for shipping an item, and I wouldn't leave negative feedback...
Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

to answer you question directly...

it depends:

q: if i pay $3.50 and it's properly packed?

a: great. posi feedback.

q: if i pay $3.50 and it shows up in a white envelope, but still unscathed?

a: i say "wow", note the brass balls but still don't leave neg feedback.

q: if i pay $3.50+ and it shows up in a white envelope and is damaged?

a: heaven help them.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
What happened a few years ago? Be very spevific about all the details because if you dont, I will (and I still have the PMs to back it up). Go ahead, tell exactly what happened.
Your whole purpose in life, as anyone can see by reading any thread you're involved in, is just to be an a-hole to everybody. It's hilarious!!! I mean the rest of us get in arguments or disagreements here and there, because we're normal human beings, but you?? 100% snarky anger 100% of the time.

Oh, and it involves you being a fucking tough guy, d-bag. Complaining and carping because in your dumba** mind I was posting too much for a new guy. And you obviously thought I would be 'frightened' of you. So I specifically asked you where you live so maybe we could have a little meet up. Because if you were anywhere near me on the east coast, anywhere, I would've been happy to meet up with you and see how tough you really are. But, alas, you were in Texas. And I believe you sent me a pic of your license but said something to the effect of, I'm moving so I won't be living there very soon. Aw, you saved the PM's. How cute.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-30-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Your whole purpose in life, as anyone can see by reading any thread you're involved in, is just to be an asshole to everybody. It's hilarious!!! I mean the rest of us get in arguments or disagreements here and there, because we're normal human beings, but you?? 100% snarky anger 100% of the time.

Oh, and it involves you being a fucking tough guy, douchebag. Complaining and carping because in your dumbass mind I was posting too much for a new guy. And you obviously thought I would be 'frightened' of you. So I specifically asked you where you live so maybe we could have a little meet up. Because if you were anywhere near me on the east coast, anywhere, I would've been happy to meet up with you and see how tough you really are. But, alas, you were in Texas. And I believe you sent me a pic of your license but said something to the effect of, I'm moving so I won't be living there very soon. Aw, you saved the PM's. How cute.
Your close, but a little bit off. First of all, you're the one that started with the name calling in this thread. Your foul mouth has got you banned from here before, I am sure it will again. As far as what happened a couple years ago, I told you I would be willing to fly out to wherever you are and meet up on my dime. Its still a standing offer. I sent you the copy of my drivers license to show you how serious I was. Still am. All you have to do is provide me a picture ID and a verifiable address. After all, I would hate to brake the wrong guys jaw. PM me with that information and we got a date.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

this is hilariously sad, guys....

got the popcorn ready regardless.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
this is hilariously sad, guys....

got the popcorn ready regardless.

Heres the thread that started it all. He was posting multiple listings on the BST. As you can see, I politely asked him to consolidate his threads - I even said please. After all, it is a rule. Even Leon told him so. You can really tell his character by his responses. It doesnt take him long to start in with the name calling and cursing...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152334
Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Shipping 1 card:

Bubble Mailer $.11
Cardboard Pads $.16
Tape $.03
CS1 $.05
eBay charge 10% $.35

You see, that I wouldn't have a problem with. Now, if you charged that and stuck a card in an envelope, I'm going to be wondering why you charged so much for shipping.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Your close, but a little bit off. First of all, you're the one that started with the name calling in this thread. Your foul mouth has got you banned from here before, I am sure it will again. As far as what happened a couple years ago, I told you I would be willing to fly out to wherever you are and meet up on my dime. Its still a standing offer. I sent you the copy of my drivers license to show you how serious I was. Still am. All you have to do is provide me a picture ID and a verifiable address. After all, I would hate to brake the wrong guys jaw. PM me with that information and we got a date.
I was replying to Sean, m_ron, and as usual you jumped in to be a do_che, because that's what you do time after time after time. Provide my address to you??? F_ck you. My life and my line of work is way too important to me to give an absolute piece of crap like you anything. You're just a laughable loser and you're still instigating stuff day after day after day. You're probably j_king off to this thread right now thinking you're getting to me. All I can say is ha ha ha.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-30-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I was replying to Sean, moron, and as usual you jumped in to be a douche, because that's what you do time after time after time. Provide my address to you??? Fuck you. My life and my line of work is way too important to me to give an absolute piece of crap like you anything. You're just a laughable loser and you're still instigating stuff day after day after day. You're probably jerking off to this thread right now thinking you're getting to me. All I can say is ha ha ha.
You were banned once for your cursing and personal attacks, I see it happening again.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208060

Page 5, Post #44

I'm done with this.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:05 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
You were banned once for your cursing and personal attacks, I see it happening again.

Page 5, Post #44

I'm done with this.
You're done with it??? You're the one creating all of this. Just like you always do.

And I like how you referenced the original thread. In it, I provide a screenshot showing what you were saying was completely untrue. It's right there for everyone to see. And like I said back then, YOU don't make the rules. And yet you just had to keep coming back again and again instead of simply moving on.

Casey Stengel

Old 04-30-2016, 12:09 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

Page 5, Post #44

I'm done with this.
And again you are completely dishonest. The guy called me a troll before I insulted him back. See, it's a reply. I don't start crap like you do, but if you come after me I come after you. And I was banned for basically a few hours for using bad language and immediately reinstated. I know you think you're being clever by saying it got me kicked off the site, but everyone knows that's not the case.

Casey Stengel

Old 04-30-2016, 01:49 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Both of you, knock it off. You wanna have a battle of words, or fists, take it to the PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:04 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Curious if you leave neg. feedback (eBay) for high shipping charges? Do you feel it is warranted if you know the shipping charges before you bid? Should that even matter? Do you leave 1 or 2 stars then for what you may fee are high/excessive shipping charges? What do you feel is reasonable vs. excessive? Do you leave neg. for cards sent not well packed or protected - regardless if arrived damaged or not?

From my perspective, I don't leave neg. for shipping bcse I know it going in, but won't hesitate to tag 1 or 2 stars if I feel it's high/excessive. Especially if it's for a $40-$50 card, over $5 and comes in a reg. white envelope or .59 cent bubble wrap envelope.

Just interested in your take here
I have gotten to the point where I will factor in the cost of shipping to what I am willing to pay prior to bidding. Then if the card arrives intact I automatically leave positive feedback and 4 stars across the board without thinking about it.

Saves a lot of drama and time.

I have very rarely had a card arrived damaged. Once a package arrived opened with no contents. That was from COMC and they refunded me with no questions asked. Recently the PWE and card in the photo arrived in a plastic bag and a note from the post office apologizing for the damage. This was from a board member so I didn't bother mentioning it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.7 KB, 278 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 06:37 AM
Tony. Biviano

The seller apologized for sending in plain white envelope, blamed it on his secretary and made a partial refund. Luckily, card wasnt damaged. Sent it to SGC and received same grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mail.jpg (58.7 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
[ [/URL]

The seller apologized for sending in plain white envelope, blamed it on his secretary and made a partial refund. Luckily, card wasnt damaged. Sent it to SGC and received same grade.
Miracle that card was not damaged. And how much you wanna bet it's his writing not his secretary's?

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2016 at 07:47 AM. Reason: took out envelope with address
Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Infraction given. Either leave that language at the door or you will be shown where it is. ANd I should add, your next outburst of profanity on this board will in fact be your last one.

Quote:
Your whole purpose in life, as anyone can see by reading any thread you're involved in, is just to be an a-hole to everybody. It's hilarious!!! I mean the rest of us get in arguments or disagreements here and there, because we're normal human beings, but you?? 100% snarky anger 100% of the time.

Oh, and it involves you being a fucking tough guy, d-bag. Complaining and carping because in your dumba** mind I was posting too much for a new guy. And you obviously thought I would be 'frightened' of you. So I specifically asked you where you live so maybe we could have a little meet up. Because if you were anywhere near me on the east coast, anywhere, I would've been happy to meet up with you and see how tough you really are. But, alas, you were in Texas. And I believe you sent me a pic of your license but said something to the effect of, I'm moving so I won't be living there very soon. Aw, you saved the PM's. How cute.

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
And again you are completely dishonest. The guy called me a troll before I insulted him back. See, it's a reply. I don't start crap like you do, but if you come after me I come after you. And I was banned for basically a few hours for using bad language and immediately reinstated. I know you think you're being clever by saying it got me kicked off the site, but everyone knows that's not the case.
Actually, yes that is the reason. We don't need potty mouths on this board.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 AM

I tell the person up front that their shipping costs are too high. If the person doesn't negotiate, then I move on. One exception recently was a group of Willards Chocolates I picked up on eBay. The charge was $3.00 s/h on each lot and shipping was not reduced with multiple winning lots. The reason I didn't object to $18.00 s/h was only because the cards were coming from Canada. It was evident from the postage that the guy wasn't make money off the deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Postage.jpg (58.6 KB, 277 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 07:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Infraction given. Either leave that language at the door or you will be shown where it is. ANd I should add, your next outburst of profanity on this board will in fact be your last one.
http://www.successwithlogan.com/
Old 04-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

As long as a seller discloses his shipping costs up front, I see no reason why a buyer should not leave 5 stars for S/H charges. It's up to a buyer to walk away from a listing when they believe the costs are too high. Many buyers forget that the seller also has to include insurance costs.

Why don't I see any complaints about the outrageous shipping costs that some of the AH's charge?

One side note, I think that if someone wishes to show a badly damaged envelope on the board, at least cover up the sellers address. Yes, he should have shipped it in a more secure envelope but I would hope that he has learned from his past mistakes. There is absolutely no reason to show the board where the seller lives. Just my opinion.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

One side note, I think that if someone wishes to show a badly damaged envelope on the board, at least cover up the sellers address. Yes, he should have shipped it in a more secure envelope but I would hope that he has learned from his past mistakes. There is absolutely no reason to show the board where the seller lives. Just my opinion.
Agreed and taken care of. We shouldn't generally post addresses or personal information on the board.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
I tell the person up front that their shipping costs are too high. If the person doesn't negotiate, then I move on. One exception recently was a group of Willards Chocolates I picked up on eBay. The charge was $3.00 s/h on each lot and shipping was not reduced with multiple winning lots. The reason I didn't object to $18.00 s/h was only because the cards were coming from Canada. It was evident from the postage that the guy wasn't make money off the deal.
Shipping to Canada is the same deal. I charge $9+.$90 per item. Base shipping is $8.79 or so and if you go above a few hundred dollars or prirority the cost jumps to over $30
Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
As long as a seller discloses his shipping costs up front, I see no reason why a buyer should not leave 5 stars for S/H charges. It's up to a buyer to walk away from a listing when they believe the costs are too high. Many buyers forget that the seller also has to include insurance costs.
Here's why I think its OK to ding the stars, but not leave negative feedback. By placing a bid, you are basically agreeing to the shipping charge. But, just because you agree to it, doesn't mean you think its reasonable or fair. When leaving feedback, one of the questions asked is 'How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges?' Ebay is asking our opinion. Again, just because you agreed to it, doesn't make it reasonable. Thats what the stars are for - to express our opinion. If its our opinion that the shipping and handling charges were not reasonable, we should say so (by leaving what we feel is an appropriate star rating).

Just my $.02
Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I get asked about high shipping charges. Its written on the Ebay listings that I use Priorty Flat rate boxes and I also insure the items. Items under 50, I will use signature confirmation. You may be asking why??? I use these boxes for protection, since most items are slabbed cards.
Now I recently sent 1 slabbed card (200$ value) it cost $6.80 for the box plus insurance cost $3.35 for a total of $10.15, and I acutally only charged 9.50 on this listing.
And folks complain it being high???
Another cost example: (a $1700 card)- it cost $6.80 plus insurance $17.25 for a total of $24.05
Another listing: (a $1900 card)- it cost $6.80 plus insurance $26.35 for a total of $33.15

**Also note that SMALL flat boxes are $6.80 and MED flat boxes are $13.75 and LARGE flat boxes are $18.75,
so when I put $20 and use a MED box, on larger items/groups with $3 signature confirmation, and insurance, plus bubblewrap/tape/popcorn --it does cost that, and I don't have a mail pickup service.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-30-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Why do discussion about shipping expenses sound more like political or religious arguments? It is amazing how polarizing something as simple as sending a package in the mail can be.

I think that the answers should be pretty simple:

1. If the shipping cost is clearly noted and reasonable care and effort warrants the cost, then reasonable feedback should be left.

2. If the shipping cost is clearly noted and less than reasonable care or effort was made, then stars should be dinged.

3. If the shipping cost was misrepresented, no responsible care or effort was taken or the packaged arrived in a less than desirable manner, then negative feedback should be left to alert and warn other potential buyers.

What is a reasonable price for shipping falls back into specific personal opinion, but I think that trying to figure out if someone is making a couple of pennies on shipping and then grabbing a pitchfork, torch and a noose might be a little extreme. After all, the seller is still responsible for the item arriving to you safely and in the condition advertised, and with that responsibility comes an assumed risk that very few buyers consider.

Shipping or including personal or business materials in a package is an expense that need not be passed on to the seller, however.

So, to answer the question raised by the OP, if you know the rules in advance, and the seller delivers as expected, I don't believe a negative is in order. However, I don't see anything wrong with making a statement on the: "How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges?" section by leaving fewer than 5 stars.

Blog: www.justcollect.com/blog
email: scotta@justcollect.com
Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I don't move as much merchandise as Sean, but I have calculated the exact same way. I don't have promo materials but I do include a business card. I send cheap cards (under $5) in a PWE for $1. I've had people pay extra shipping to get the cheaper cards in a mailer, because they understand shipping isn't free. Everything else at least gets a bubble mailer and is $3.

Everything I mail goes in a top loader or semi rigid and is double bagged before it is mailed. It gets the cardboard and bubble wrap treatment if it is going in a mailer.

I have never understood someone being dinged for shipping charges as long as the item is received in same condition AND THE CHARGES ARE IN BLACK & WHITE, right there in front of you, when the purchase is made. When the seller undercharges on shipping does anyone send extra money? Of course not.

I see absolutely no problem with the way Sean does business. His .10 each additional item is actually quite fair.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

The people that bitch about shipping are the same people that would go in a corner store and ask if the fountain soda is cheaper if you just poured it in their hands. Then asks if you can break a hundred.

Last edited by Laxcat; 04-30-2016 at 08:15 AM.