NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Which record will be the hardest to break?
Barry Bonds - 73 HR in one season 2 0.43%
Ty Cobb - .366 Career Batting Average 23 4.95%
Walter Johnson - 110 Career Shutouts 43 9.25%
Joe DiMaggio - 56 Game Hitting Streak 28 6.02%
Cal Ripken, Jr. - 2,632 Consecutive Games Played 40 8.60%
Pete Rose - 4,256 Career Hits 5 1.08%
Nolan Ryan - 5,714 Career Strikeouts 8 1.72%
Cy Young - 511 Career Wins 286 61.51%
New York Giants - 26 Game Unbeaten Streak 0 0%
The record I am thinking of isn’t listed here. 30 6.45%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Owen R

Has anyone said "most perfect world series games in a day?"

In my honest opinion it is probably Young's 500wins or Ryan's 5700 SOs. I don't think any teams would let pitchers play often enough to get close to those records, even if they were consistent enough. The last person to get 400wins was Johnson in 1920. No one will get that unless the way teams manage pitching changes drastically.

Owen
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Many of these records will never be broken because the game has changed. However, it's possible that the game will change again in the opposite direction. Then they could easily be broken.

Example: Ratings are down therefore the rules change to lower the mound or shrink the strikezone. Batting average increases so that runs increase and millennial start watching. So in 2065, Bryce Harper Jr retires with a lifetime .402 batting average.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Bob Davies

Cy Young wins. With six inning starts being an accomplishment, middle relief pitchers, one out closers, more rest days between starts, and other ways the pitchers are handled, that will never be broken.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Under the new rules it's possible to have a 2 pitch inning. You could intentionally walk someone without throwing a pitch, get a double play on the next pitch, and then get the next guy out on the first pitch too. Never would have thought a 3 pitch inning could be beaten, but now it could.
Intentional walk, pick off, intentional walk, pick off, intentional walk, pick off. Zero pitch inning.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Old Hoss

Old Hoss Radbourn's 59 Wins, single season, 1884
Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 AM

Default Unbeatable record

How about a pitcher, Tony Cloninger hitting 2 grand slams in the same game. Tough to beat this one.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 AM

I chose Ripken. Baseball rules could change one day to put Young's record in play. Ripken' record is impervious to baseball rule makers.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Under the new rules it's possible to have a 2 pitch inning. You could intentionally walk someone without throwing a pitch, get a double play on the next pitch, and then get the next guy out on the first pitch too. Never would have thought a 3 pitch inning could be beaten, but now it could.
Then you could actually have a single pitch inning then. Intentionally walk the first two batters and the next guy hits the first pitch into a triple play!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Technically...

Technically it's possible for no pitch innings. Intentional walks to 3 batters and pick them off before even throwing a true pitch
Old 08-12-2017, 03:05 PM

36 triples in a season by Owen "Chief" Wilson in 1912.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron seefeldt View Post
technically it's possible for no pitch innings. Intentional walks to 3 batters and pick them off before even throwing a true pitch
Touche'
Old 08-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Intentional walk first TWO batters, induce triple play on next pitch. I win.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Intentional walk, pick off, intentional walk, pick off, intentional walk, pick off. Zero pitch inning.
Damn you I just thought of this after my last post and before I got to yours. Well-played.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Arnie

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry, I wrote this before I saw the posts above that made my point. My bad. You guys beat me to it.

Technically you could have a NO pitch inning. You could intentionally walk a guy, and pick him off first base. Then two more guys could be intentionally walked, and they could be picked off base too. In fact, if you intentially walk two guys, a pitcher could pick one off and then have the other one try to take an extra base while thats happening and have a fielder throw him out, thereby making it a no pitch inning and the pitcher only threw the ball twice to first base to get 3 outs. Take it to the ultimate, intentially walk the bases loaded, pick one guy off, and the fielders get two more outs due to bad baserunning by the other men on base, and the pitcher only threw once to first base and 3 outs have been gotten, and no pitches have been thrown!!

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 08-13-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Brian Horne

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Many of these records will never be broken because the game has changed. However, it's possible that the game will change again in the opposite direction. Then they could easily be broken.

Example: Ratings are down therefore the rules change to lower the mound or shrink the strikezone. Batting average increases so that runs increase and millennial start watching. So in 2065, Bryce Harper Jr retires with a lifetime .402 batting average.
If we are going to bash the younger generations and their attention span I think the number of complete games will shoot back up when they decide to reduce the game to 6 or 7 innings...
Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

What is the record for consecutive games striking out? Aaron Judge is up to 30. I bet the guy who bought his first game jersey for $160,000 is happy as hell. 🤑
Old 08-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlov2 View Post
If we are going to bash the younger generations and their attention span I think the number of complete games will shoot back up when they decide to reduce the game to 6 or 7 innings...
Is it the younger generation with shorter attention spans? I seem to recall Selig and Manfred instituting the changes. They're not part of my generation.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Jay Cee

Even though the poll is subjective, I will give a hint for how I voted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4407.jpg (64.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
What is the record for consecutive games striking out? Aaron Judge is up to 30. I bet the guy who bought his first game jersey for $160,000 is happy as hell. 🤑
36 is the record, held by Adam Dunn.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Playing a lot of fantasy baseball, I love it when my competitor's players go compete in the AS Home Run Derby. It messes up so many swings where it takes months to regain the form. A couple years ago it was Todd Fraiser who got messed up. There are always exceptions like Stanton who is literally a hitting monster, but for the other mortals (like Judge) , you might not see him regain form u til next year now. Most likely will cost the Yankees a playoff birth too.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

As a baseball fan it'd certainly be better to see Mike Trout in the playoffs.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

No suspense today. Aaron Judge extended his consecutive game with a strikeout streak to 31 today in his first at bat.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Scott Russell

I guess making the semi finals is OK (Cody Bellinger)

Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
No suspense today. Aaron Judge extended his consecutive game with a strikeout streak to 31 today in his first at bat.
And people are comparing him to Mantle...Yea, right.. Even thought he did strike out at times, Mantle had more career walks than strike outs....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Scott Russell

Auravisions...

Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Judge's streak continues--three Ks, 0-4, and a dropped fly ball in right. I think we can put the MVP chatter to rest.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I decided to try and take a little closer and more "technical" look at the question:

Bonds hit 73 home runs. The highest home run total in a single season since 2010 was 54, or 74%

Cobb's career average was .366. The highest current total is .318 shared by Jose Altuve and Miguel Cabrera. While .318 is roughly 87% of .366, no one would say that current hitters are hitting 87% as high as Cobb. If we drop the first digit and compare .018 and .066, they are 27% of the way to Cobb.

Walter Johnson had 110 shutouts. The current active leader is Clayton Kershaw with 15, or 14% of the total.

Joe DiMiggio had a 56 game hitting streak. The longest streak since 2010 was Dan Uggla at 33 games, or 59%.

Cal Ripken played 2632 conecutive games. The longest active streak is Alcides Escobar with 286. He's just 11% of the way.

Rose had 4256 hits, while Adrian Beltre, the active leader has 3019, making his 71% of the way to Rose.

Ryan had 5714 K's. CC Sabathia has 2806, good for 49% of the total.

Cy Young had 511 wins. Bartolo Colon has 237, good for 46%.

And the longest win streak ever is 26 (with a tie in there). This season there were 2 streaks of 11 games, for 42%.

Looking through this list there were a couple of things that I noticed:

1) Playing consecutive games is simply not something that is focused on anymore, and the reason is simple. It is the only thing on this list that could easily be argued is not a positive stat. While not getting injured is great, there are almost definitely diminished returns from playing every single game season after season. It was hard to even find out the player who is leading this category and it proved to have the lowest percentage (albeit in a discussion where the percentages mean different things in different cases). I can imagine a player who prides himself on playing every day combined with the right type of manager could mean that we see longer streaks over the years than we are seeing now and though Ripken's mark will be a tall task, if someone played 1,000 games straight, it could become the kind of streak that people push for, and so the player gets put out there every game, even if a break might have been a better idea.

2) Many people view Cy Young's win total as the hardest to ever pass. But it was not that long ago that Maddux and Clemens each had 350+ wins, good for 70% of Cy Young's totals. With the way rotations are structured it would seem almost unimaginable for someone to approach 511, but I think there are other records that are much tougher.

3) Not only do I not think that Ryan's record is the hardest, I think in an era with such huge increases in strikeouts, we may see it broken sooner than people think. Consider the seasons when the top 4 in career strikeouts retired: 1993 (Ryan), 2009 (Johnson), 2007 (Clemens), 1988 (Carlton). While we have moved away from other stats, K's are more recent records.

4) While ultimately the lowest percentage was tied to active games, I felt that the shutout streak would be the hardest to approach. The active leader Clayton Kershaw is only 14% of the way there, and the highest pitcher on the list who did not pitch in the deadball era is Warren Spahn, whose 63 shutouts is still only 57% of Johnson's total. (On a separate note, it would be crazy to consider what Spahn's career numbers would have been had he not missed 3 seasons to the military.) Career shutouts are a function of games pitched, complete games and a league where few runs are scored. Today's league is none of those. This can be illustrated by the fact that Kershaw's career ERA+ (ERA compared to the league is 162, which is 15 points higher than than Johnson's, and is by far the best for any starting pitcher (although to be fair, retired pitchers have the back end of their career included and Kershaw is still currently in his prime.)

There are a number of records that won't be broken, but I think that Johnson's shutout record is just about the safest of the group.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-17-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 AM
Louie Michaud

DiMaggio's streak no doubt, compounded by the pressure added on by the "everything now" age we live in, and the revolution of specialty relievers.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Tony N.

MOST unbreakable I would say would be Cy Young's 511 wins.

I would also like to add Joe Jackson's rookie batting average of .408 would be pretty tough to break as well.

Just my two cents.

Tony
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
With regard to the poll, virtually all of the choices would be nearly impossible to beat, many because of changes in the game. So a better question might be: could any of these accomplishments ever be surpassed? It's possible that none of them will, hence they are all equally difficult.
I certainly agree wit Mr. Sloate's Wisdom!
Also, Please Add:

"BiG Ed" Walsh's Lifetime ERA of 1.82 to this List,
imho... No One's TouchiN it!
Old 08-18-2017, 03:59 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Judge's streak continues--three Ks, 0-4, and a dropped fly ball in right. I think we can put the MVP chatter to rest.
+1....Can you say Dave Kingman??
Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Streak's broken. 3BBs + 1PH will do that.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:33 AM

I Like THiS One Also...

iN 1909 Mr. Cobb Led the League iN Home Runs!
He had "9" Home Runs,
& All of THeM were "iN Side the Park"

Can't Touch iT!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Brian

Triples -- career record of 309. Sam Crawford
Game would have to chance a lot for this one to even become approachable.
-----