NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Shipping an expensive item: What is the most secure method for seller?

I was wondering what the most secure method for shipping an expensive item would be. Which service (USPS or UPS or other) would be best and what insurance confirmation should I use? Just curious to see what some of the experienced sellers here recommend.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Anthony

Default bat

I sold a mantle signed bat on eBay for $2750.00 a few years ago and I used UPS Ground. w/ insurance it was about $45 - 50 w/ signature confirmation tracking etc. I felt comfortable . I hope this helps
Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Adam M.

I would say USPS registered mail.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
i would say usps registered mail.

ditto!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Another vote for USPS Registered
Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Registered is the way to go, but as a caveat it does take quite a bit longer for the item to arrive. So if you ship this way I would inform the buyer of the added time.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Brian T.

Registered is definitely the most secure, but it can take a long, long time. The Hope Diamond was delivered to the Smithsonian via registered mail.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Max Weder

From the postal museum site:

" Henry “Harry” Winston, a leading American jeweler and gem dealer, bought the diamond from Mrs. McLean’s estate in 1949. In November 1958 Winston donated the diamond to the Smithsonian Institution, intending it to be the foundation for a National Jewel Collection. With his years of experience in shipping jewelry all over the world, Winston chose to have the diamond delivered by registered mail. He told a reporter for the Washington Post that “ . . . [registered mail is] the safest way to ship gems. . . . I’ve sent gems all over the world that way.”

The diamond was placed in a box, wrapped in brown paper, and sent by registered mail, traveling down from New York in a Railway Post Office train car. In Washington, it was immediately taken to the City Post Office (the building that now houses the National Postal Museum), where it was picked up by postal carrier James G. Todd.

Todd drove the package to the National Museum of Natural History. The diamond was handed over in a ceremony including Leonard Carmichael, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and Mrs. Harry Winston. The transfer was completed when Carmichael signed the receipt for the registered package. The price paid for shipping the gem, valued at $1 million at the time, was $145.29, most of that for package insurance. "
Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Another vote for registered mail. Have sent more than a thousand registered packages over the years and not one was ever lost.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Doug C.

I would go with registered mail as well although I did have an issue several years ago where I had bought a PSA 4 T206 Demmitt (St Louis) that was sent registered mail. Apparently there were two packages in the system with the same tracking number and it caused mine to get sent to the post office where the other package was going. When it arrived there they got it back on track and it arrived safe and sound although it ended up taking about two weeks. Had it not been sent registered mail it's possible that it may not have been caught and ended up getting lost.

Last edited by Doug; 11-02-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Barry Sloate

Doug- do you know how two different reg packages could have the same tracking number? The first thing the postal clerk does is put a red label on the box, then scan the bar code. Every package should be unique. That is a very odd error.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 AM

you could ship overnight from the post office with up to $5,000 worth of insurance.

I prefer it..... figuring less transit time = less time for me to sit and worry about it getting lost.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Doug- do you know how two different reg packages could have the same tracking number? The first thing the postal clerk does is put a red label on the box, then scan the bar code. Every package should be unique. That is a very odd error.
Apparently it was just an issue where there were two labels printed with the same tracking number. When I tried to track my package I got a message saying that there were two packages with the same tracking number and that mine was misrouted so they were attempting to correct the problem. I'm guessing that they both got sent to the same post office and when mine was scanned in the computer caught that another package with that number had already been scanned in leading them to catch the mistake.

Last edited by Doug; 11-02-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Barry Sloate

That is an extremely strange error. I guess nothing is infallible.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That is an extremely strange error. I guess nothing is infallible.
It's the only time I've ever heard of it happening, but with my luck if it was going to happen to anybody it would be me! I guess I should also add that it occurred close to 10 years ago and I haven't had an issue sending or receiving a registered mail parcel since.

Last edited by Doug; 11-02-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 AM

USPS Registered.
JimB

I have had Fed Ex leave very expensive signature-required packages at the front door on multiple occasions. I don't trust the reliability of their service at all.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 AM

One more vote for USPS Registered.

Andrew
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

Default shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabiloxi View Post
I was wondering what the most secure method for shipping an expensive item would be. Which service (USPS or UPS or other) would be best and what insurance confirmation should I use? Just curious to see what some of the experienced sellers here recommend.

Thanks.
registered, and ins for 1000-- slow-- but all under lock and key-- the best
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I have had Fed Ex leave very expensive signature-required packages at the front door on multiple occasions. I don't trust the reliability of their service at all.
At least FedEx leaves your expensive signature required packages at your house. They usually leave mine at the Nursing Home across the street instead of my apartment building which they have to drive past to deliver my packages to the wrong place.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

the answer is usps registered with insurance.

the package is under lock and key and has to be signed for by those holding the key...no way it gets "lost" as one poster implied above.

Postal employees take registered mail bags very seriously...and the "tracking number" is for internal use only.

I had a clown claim he never got a 3k package sent this way and within the hour my postmaster had confirmation that he had gotten 3 notices to come and sign for his package..I guess he wanted his postal delivery guy to leave in on the front stoop...which will not happen....ever.

Last edited by murcerfan; 11-02-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
Registered is definitely the most secure, but it can take a long, long time. The Hope Diamond was delivered to the Smithsonian via registered mail.

I heard the Hope Diamond story some time ago and wondered how they did that. The USPS caps insurance for registered mail at $25,000, so the Smithsonian must have lined up some private insurance.

Brian is correct in the registered mail can be very very slow. One expensive package took over three weeks to go from California to the East Coast. We knew the registered package was secure, but to have the package float around out there for three weeks made me very uncomfortable.

I prefer USPS overnight with additional insurance.