NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default E-Unc Leader Novelty strip or box cut out?

Posted By: Leon

I have always thought of the 1929 Leader Novelty cards to be cut from boxes. If they were then why does the right side of this one have a part of another card? Could these have been issued in strips and we just never knew or has someone seen a box with them on it? This is a question of great social importance....(as Janis would say).... best regards

Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I was always under the impression these were inserts in the candy boxes. ( a little OT) I am always looking for the Foxx in this set. Sorry Leon. I had to squeeze that in. Anyway...maybe they came both on the boxes, and as inserts? At differing times. They seem to come in varying sizes, and colors. It keeps the hobby hopping when these types of issues arise. It gives us something new to look for in our daily perusals.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The few Ive owned have been machine cut so I think they came inside a box.

One of my biggest mistakes ever was letting a nice midgrade Leader Nov. Foxx (sepia) sit on eBay with an opening bid of $75. It sat the whole auction and never got a bid (this was before they were cataloged). Then when I found out more about the set I wrote the seller and asked him, and he said it was sold. I think someone on here picked it up. I always kick myself about that blunder a few years back. I picked up 2 other HOFers for well under $75 ea. from the same seller but didnt want to spend the $75 for the Foxx because I didnt know what they were.

OH well

Frank

Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Frank, you'd cry if you knew what i would be willing to pay for that Foxx today. Oh well....

Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

I agree with Frank's opinion, I've always felt that these cards were inserted into the box rather than being part of them. I only have a few Leaders but all of them look much like the scan Leon posted, where a slight portion of the card next to it can be seen. Interestingly enough, a couple of my cards also have a portion of the card below it as well..so Leaders were undoubtedly made in sheet form..instead of single strip.

Mike & Frank~ I remember the $75 Foxx card on Ebay, David Bryan was the seller. When the auction ended without bid, I wrote him and was able to pick it up at a slight discount. I used to have a scan of the card on my website, but took it down awile back. The card still resides in my humble little collection.

E.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Eric, I had a feeling you had the Foxx card, I just wasnt 100% sure. I remember that auction like it was yesterday.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Does anybody know what the population report is on these cards? Can anybody confirm that more than one card exists for any of the players in this set? Does Eric have the only known copy of the Jimmie Foxx Leader Novelty candy card or do others exist? I have the Grove card from this set, but have never seen another one. If only one card of each player exists, it makes it very difficult for player collectors to complete their player collections.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Some of these cards may be unique, but there are multiple cards of some players. Here's some of mine (Mel Ott, Al Simmons, Hack Wilson, Joe Judge, "Lefty" O'Doul, Ed Rommel):

Old 04-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Glen:

That's quite a stash! It looks like your Joe Judge card was not part of a strip, whereas Leon's at the top of the page was.

Brad

Old 04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

I would seriously doubt that my Foxx card is unique. Curiously, Leaders were just added to the SCD a few years ago, and still remain elusive. The initial SCD checklist was short, but the feeling most collectors have is that the set mirrors the '29 Kashin set (the same pictures/facsimile auto's are used). That said, this should be a sizeable issue. On the other hand, it's strange that it took so long for the issue to be identified properly. The cards are still pretty damn rare..despite Glen's beautiful assortment above.