NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default Is it really Net54's fault?

Posted By: leon

Hey guys,
Something puzzles me a little bit. Is it really Net54's fault when someone gets the short end of stick in a debate? I think it's a little bit humorous when someone says they will take their toys and go home because they are getting heat from Net54. I am not immune to taking my lumps when something goes a little awry but is it this hosting company's fault? I think this board is a microcosm of the hobby, good, bad, and indifferent. Anyone else have a thought about it? I enjoy the hobby about 98% of the time but really.....it isn't the board's fault if I have a bad day, or is it?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I think the debates, the arguements, the falling out's are all part of this board...and there is no way to keep any of the three from happening. Unless Leon was to police every single thread from start to finish (and what kind of board would that be?) The business of cards is no different than any other business that I'm aware of. In any line of work your subject to critisicms and keeping to certain standards. I don't think certain conversations should be carried but so far...but again, it shouldn't be Leon's job to act like the third grade teacher and tell the kids to go sit in a corner. As far as the other thread Leon...I applaude you for not getting anymore involved than you have. I think letting it run its course is for the best. I also believe at any time one of these things comes up...be it with an auction house...grading company...or a price reporting site, that in the end things will die down as they always seem to. By Wednesday these threads will probably be lost on page 3. As far as the "management" of businesses involved. Leaving the board is probably not the best idea...let things work themselves out...in the end you'll benefit more from staying. As my grandpappy Elrod used to say...Eating a pile of dog crap today doesn't mean you have to eat the same pile tomorrow". Whatever that meant...

Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

in the 3 years i've been hitting this site,i've seen a lot of regulars post (and create some controversy) and never post again.they just go away. i try to stay away from the petty bickering and enjoy reading the posts here every day. next poll should be which poster that has disappeared do we miss the most! i have a few nominees. edited to add:poll should be who we miss the least.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

A lot of what's said on the board in those "semi-confrontational" threads are knee jerk reactions born out of frustration. With that said, I've seen many posts where people have indicated that "this" would be their last post - only to hear from them again (in most cases, a good thing).

Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

once in a while. I remember the thread with JC. Got a little under my skin so I took a week off. Did wonders, we kissed and made up .

It is not Net54. It is we with all our foilbles. It's life. We're big boys (and girls) and can deal with it.

Whatever happened to (fill in a name)? I too wonder about some of our missing contributors. Of note for me is Gilbert Maines. I always enjoyed his "take" on things. Where are you Gil?

Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

No Leon - it's not the board's fault. I think some of the problems arise because this board is so completely successful at what it sets out to do. There are a lot of people here that are very passionate, very knowledgeable, and very regular contributors. It's not a post-once-fly-by kind of forum. It's inevitbable that people in such frequent close contact would start squabbling - probably frequently. But that's part of the success. People do these things and, for the most part, continue to return. Where else in society would you have such very, very different people continue to return to find common ground with one another in between the flame wars? I really do think this is a unique thing.

I also think that Leon has just the perfect temperament to be moderator. I always marvel at the delicate balance he finds on the censorship issue. He lets it go, enforces non-anonymity rules for controversial posts, and if he is going to lock something down he gives warning. That really contributes to the positive aspects of the board, and even the extent to which Leon's "all are welcome" philosophy leads to flaming, I still think that's what helps keep the board so complete and so diverse.

To me the analogy is a bar and Leon is the bartender. Ignore geographic impossibilities for now, but suppose it's a bar that everyone can get to easily. Rich people and less rich people, conservatives and liberals, grading fans versus raw-philes - all of it - come together night after night and talk cards. And arguments break loose and there's insults, name calling, whatever, and yet this same strange and completely different group of people continue to show up and talk cards.

Can you imagine such a thing? Of course not - but that's what we have here.

And to get back around to point - to Leon's question - if someone decides they aren't going to show up anymore, is that somehow the bar's fault?

Nuf ced.

lol

Joann

Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Leon- It's no different than in "real life." Most people can dish it out, but can't take it back. Typical human nature for most, especially when hiding behind a computer screen.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think a good many of us, myself included, have found ourselves embroiled in a debate that touches a raw nerve, and we just need to take a break before returning. I quit recently and came back two days later. Others take off a month. And a few just blow the coop.

Imagine it as if we rented a big Victorian house and we were all roommates. How many fights would we get into? At least one a day? And would you blame them on the house?

The board has its ebbs and flows; it remains quiet for a period of time, then we have our inevitable train wreck. Not much you can do about it except go with the flow.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Noel

Just kidding. On the contrary, i think the board is working exactly as it should. If someones skin is so thin that they try to use leverage (ie. threaten not to post anymore unless the board changes their line of thinking) do you really want this person trying to manipulate more posts? It is the perfect way to cloak oneself in victimhood and not address the real issue.