NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Default Mystery Foxx card ??

Posted By: leon

So I was speaking with Ted Z. (virtually through email) and he asked if I had any clue of what the mystery Foxx card was that he showed to the board a while back. I said "no" but lets throw it out here again as we do have new members and lurkers almost daily. I think the general consensus was that it's probably cut from an ad piece of some type or cut from a board game? It has a blank back. We realize this could be one of those threads with 0 responses but I am always willing to try.....Any thoughts on what this is??

Old 06-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I have been collecting pre war Foxx items for 17 years. Anything relating to him. And there are some wierd things out there. I have never seen this before. I do recall the previous showing of this card on here. As we can all see by the left border, it was cut out from something. Probably a box. I own a pair of Jimmie Foxx cleats from 1931. maybe the photo was on the box? I have never been able to locate a box for the cleats. Just playing with speculation. It could have come from a hundred different things. I wish I knew....

Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Since nobody has seen it before, I'm going to guess it is not a card at all, just something cut from a box that had Foxx's picture and name below. But because it now looks like a card, it falls into that gray area.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

I concur. It's a card.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Looks like a black and white version of '48 Leaf, in my opinion.

Peter

Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

It's not an Exhibit and it is not a Postcard - so it must be a card!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

It looks to be part of a specialty card set which was given out to the troups during WW2. Again JMO. JC

Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Jim,

Wasn't Foxx a Red Sock during WW2?

James

Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

This isn't a card... I can only think of maybe two players out of thousands of cards that have partial cap amputations on their cards, '33 Ruth and '57 Williams. Then again, I guess this could be a card.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Much appreciated whomever they are....Possibly a different year of this?

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=44008

Old 06-21-2007, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I would say the Foxx probably came from something like it. That is a neat piece with WW2 and baseball significance

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

The photo used on this card, was from about 1926 to late 20's. I have seen this same picture used somewhere, and for the life of me, I can't recall where. But I have. And if memory serves me, Foxx was like 18 when that photo was taken. That's not to say that it couldn't have been used much later, but probably not. Foxx was with the A's until 36, so this could not have been from WW2. Some day when I have nothing to do, I will go through some baseball books, ( i have a library with probably a hundred baseball books) But I know I have seen that photo before.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

I acquired this card from a BB card shop along the Jersey shore back in 1985......
The dealer, who was quite well versed on vintage cards, had no idea where this card
was originally from.
So, I figured if he didn't know, then it must be "rare"....or at least, unusual. And, that
it has proven to be.

Keep trying guys, if no one here figures it out by the end of July, then I'll take it up to
Cooperstown. And, if the vintage experts there can't figure it out, I will bring it to the
National the following week.

TED Z

Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

Ted,

Is it just the scan or is there red ink at the top left of the card? If so, would that suggest that it was indeed cut from something else that had other colorful graphics?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Looks very similar to the 1927 Honey Boy issue but it is not exactly the same since the first name is missing and the team name is included.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Somenone should offer some kinda reward for definitive proof about this card... jeez u dont see the board stumped often...