NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

View Poll Results: What do you think of this PSA slabbed Ty Cobb signature?
It is an exact replication of Ron K's Ty Cobb autograph 43 75.44%
It is a very similar, but totally different autograph as the owner has claimed 5 8.77%
Undecided 9 15.79%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Richard Simon

I am sure Donavon is a busy man but you would think that by now he mght have taken a moment to respond further to this thread.
I guess he has no adequate response about the Ty Cobb cut and the mystery story of the amazing forger will have no further explanation.
Donavon if you have been too busy to respond here,we understand. But we are hopeful that a response will be forthcoming at some time in the near future.
In the meantime I am glad I don't own an autograph that resides in a plastic tomb.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-19-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Kindly move this thread to the new forum. That is why it was created.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Al

Default rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post
Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Donavon will not do anything. he promises but then renegs. it was all in the can from the beginning.

Still looking forward to those ted williams sigs 5 weeks after he promised them. He claims he is busy and that is suppose to be an excuse until the end of time.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post
If I knew how to do it and was authorized,I would be happy to do it.
I suggest you send a PM to a mod or to Leon.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-20-2012, 03:02 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

It is my opinion that the cut was never sent back to PSA/DNA to begin with. I think the whole story was concocted. If it were true, they would have already removed the cert from their database by now.

A few years ago, the card pictured below was listed on eBay and was the topic of a thread on the PSA boards. Yes, PSA really graded that card a 10. Of course all the PSA apologists wanted to make excuses such as it was a mechanical error or the card was switched out, blah, blah, blah. PSA contacted the dealer and wanted the card back. If I remember correctly, PSA and the dealer couldn't agree on terms and the seller refused to give it back. So, PSA simply removed the card from their database - kind of like sweeping the problem under the rug. I don't know where the card is today or if PSA ever obtained possession of it, but my point is that PSA pulled the cert immediately because of the attention it drew. Likewise, they would have done the same thing in the case with the Cobb cut. I just don't believe the whole story.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Richard Simon

Wow! Pretty amazing that it is still in the database of PSA.
I had not thought to check that out but that is eye opening.
What to think of Donavon now?
--
Old 04-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Brock

Anyone contact PSA and ask them if they received it or not. If he did never send it in, watch it be sold then.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Anyone contact PSA and ask them if they received it or not. If he did never send it in, watch it be sold then.
I doubt if PSA would reveal that kind of information to a stranger on the telephone.
This whole thing is now fishier than ever.
We have our own little Cobb cut-gate here.
The aftermath always seems to be worse than the actual event.
--
Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 AM

While I believe that Richard and Travis (neither of whom I know) have the better side of this argument, the lesson for me is to avoid autographs altogether.

When an expert like David can be deceived by a Yankee ball with numerous (apparently) forged autographs, and a reputable (albeit imperfect) grading company can be deceived by a photocopy, it is time for mere mortals like myself to find another hobby.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
While I believe that Richard and Travis (neither of whom I know) have the better side of this argument, the lesson for me is to avoid autographs altogether.

When an expert like David can be deceived by a Yankee ball with numerous (apparently) forged autographs, and a reputable (albeit imperfect) grading company can be deceived by a photocopy, it is time for mere mortals like myself to find another hobby.
Mark - I suggest you look at the "good news" autograph thread. That is why we autograph collectors collect.
It is very easy to amass a good collection, as I have said many times before.
Stay with the good dealers and chances are you can amass a quality collection with a very good chance of everything you own being authentic.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-21-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post

+1....I'll stick to tickets, publications, and cards

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football