NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2001, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Did anyone see what Mike Wheat listed yesterday on eBay? He's got almost 2000 cards up. Anyone got any insight as to the large number of posts?

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=mwcards&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Old 12-21-2001, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Tom

Kevin.....free listing day. Bet he dumped his whole inventory (or a lot of it) over to ebay. Pretty savvy computer guy so I bet he wrote some type of program to do it or has them stored somewhere. Didn't cost him a thing to list them. Only if he sells them. Nice deal.......

Old 12-21-2001, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Jay Miller

The interesting thing is that his minimum bids, on his Old Judge cards at least, are the same levels that his cards are being sold for at on his web site. Doesn't provide much incentive to bid!

Old 12-21-2001, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: runscott

After wading through his listings, suspecting his entire inventory had been listed, I went straight to the e95/e96's and was very disappointed - he's stilling selling his P.O.S. Crawford at a starting bid of $50. Rather than whine, though, I've simply removed his web-site from my bookmark list.

Old 12-22-2001, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: warshawlaw

Not only did he dump his entire load on ebay, his listing software repeatedly crashed my browser. Kind of kills the whole idea of selling cards on ebay when so much crap gets dropped on it.

By the way, anyone know who the jackass was who dumped an entire set of goudey reprints into the vintage listings? Coal in his stocking this year. . .

Old 12-22-2001, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I don't see why anyone should get upset that he listed all of his stuff at the same price as he has it for on his website.

From the point of view of the seller, free listing day is a chance to get exposure for your stuff at no cost.

It doesn't mean you have to clear everything out at a deep discount.

bruce

Old 12-24-2001, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Sounds like you're saying that no one should get upset that a seller is doing whatever he can get away with. If you choose not to be upset, then don't be.

Old 12-24-2001, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

I was mainly mildly irritated. I don't buy from dealer web-sites very often, and because of the prices and card conditions, I probably wouldn't have bought from Mike Wheat anyway. No one's expecting deep discounts, but I think if Mike Wheat was in touch with the market (certainly he wants to sell his cards!) he would have started them off lower than his normal above-retail price. Like Adam said, he probably wrote a program to create the listings, so it cost him nothing and it gave us a load of crap to wade through to find real auction items.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

I've bought from Mike quite a few times. Auctions and just from the list as well as at shows. I've always found him to be a friendly guy and he has a very decent stock. He rarely discounts more than 10% --even on large orders but if you know that going in, you spend accordingly. I've gotten some nice deals in some of his auctions but generally on mid to lower grade items as that's what he's auctioning--extras of cards he has heavy stock on. As for the 'dumping' of the auctions onto ebay.....think it's a great tool--especially on free listing day. Doesn't cost him a cent. If you page through the 70+ pages of auctions he has up there is a slim number that have initial bids. But.....he might not have sold them if he didn't list them. Ebay offers exponentially more traffic than he gets on his site. Anyway......keep him bookmarked as I think he's a fair dealer. He has very nice return policies as long as the cards still in the holder and he's always been good to deal with. If it were me listing the cards as he did, I would have taken 10%-15% off just to get the bidding going from the normal prices.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Yep, I need to go back to my "no whining" policy. Besides, I would have bid on a couple of those cards if they had opened only 10-15% lower, so he'll probably sell a few of them. Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-26-2001, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Scott.....didn't mean to say you're cranky if you got that from me........I would have bid some too if they'd been just a hair or two lower. We all want a DEAL. 5-10-15 percent at least pays for the shipping and a little more.....$100-$125 for REBACKED Old Judges seems pretty strong though. I've got about 30 that need to be rebacked and I'd GLADLY sell them for that after rebacking. Unfortunately a Kid Nichols, George Van Haltren, two Buck Ewings and Billy Sunday are part of that group......

Old 12-27-2001, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

This was a goofy free listing day and I wouldn't fault anyone for starting anything too high.

It started out in the middle of shopping insanity and finished two days after Christmas.

I wouldn't blame anyone for worrying that their stuff would get low traffic and therefore might not move much above a low opening bid.

Even so. There are some sellers who never start anything below 95% of SMR, free listing day or not, holiday or not. It's annoying to not be able to get what I want, but I don't have any real right to the stuff, so I try to get over it.

bruce

Old 12-27-2001, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

and it looks like some of his stuff IS selling. I confess to almost bidding on some hard-to-find but overpriced Sporting News supplements.

I also recently committed the unpardonable crime of buying autographs on e-bay when I know nothing about them. Scott Gaynor had a really good selection of "t206 era" ones so I picked up Flick and Griffith. Does anyone have a recommended method for validating authenticity? Thanks

Old 12-27-2001, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Marc S.

Scott-

A few ideas:

1) You could get the autographs officially authenticated, but that is expensive and cumbersome, esp. for the autographs you purchased (e.g. relatively common, not huge value)

2) The best method to easily use is comparison of signatures from reliable dealers. One dealer is James Spence. He was always a great guy, and he now heads up the PSA/DNA authentication service. He has both Flick and Griffith signatures in stock, so I am sure you could e-mail him for scans. Jim Stinson (of Stinson Sports) is also a realiable dealer that typically has those signatures in stock. You could request scans from him, too. Quality Autographs of Virginia is also a pretty reliable dealer -- though I have not dealt with them in a long time.

3) Mark Baker published a book in 1991 "SCD Baseball Autograph Handbook". It is readily available online in used form, and it is a pretty helpful book for a novice/new autograph collector. For $10-, it is not a bad investment if you are going to purchase more autographs down the line.

The best advice in collecting autographs is as follows: Find a dealer you can trust. If the autographs costs much less than you would think you it should, huge red flag. And the best advice is to just look at as many authentic examples as you can find (usually through trustworthy dealers, etc.). Eventually, you will be able to see similar mannerisms/characteristics of the authentic signatures.

From my experience, the Griffith signature looks fine. I do not know enough about Flick's signing habits to provide much of an opinion on that one. Sorry. Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-27-2001, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: petecld

He would have made a killing if he made the minimum buds about 75-80% of his catalog prices and saved the catalog prices as "but-it-now" options.

It was a lot of work to post all of that. Considering the number of bids he has it doesn't seem like it was worth the effort. Hey, at least it didn't cost him anything.

Old 12-27-2001, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I follow ebay way to close and will have to way that the bidding is actually pretty good right now. I think what you see is people that are on vacation and have time to spend on the computer and have a passion like the rest of us for the cards but not the time. I put 6 T202's that I was unable to get scans up because the picture process for ebay wasn't working. I have sold one card on a Buy Now, and another that has a bid, with no scan, and there is still time. I have put up almost all the cards I have to sell up yesterday and have sold 2 lots already on Buy Now. The buyers seem to be out there right now!!!!

I also agree with Pete, if Mike would have dropped is listings by even 10% he would have got a lot more bids. I thinnk we're all looking for a "baragin", why bid when you can go back to his site and buy it at the same price? I certainly was tempted by some but shyed away because I was paying "retail".

Happy Holidays

Lee

Old 12-27-2001, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

I collect Griffith items, so I had to take a chance on that one - thanks for all the ideas.

Old 12-27-2001, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

your BIN's were pretty low! Anyway, I'm moving my auction up to take advantage of "too much time off buyer boredom".

Old 12-27-2001, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default House Cleaning?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I like to use the Buy It Now as a temptation. I try to set it ast a level that is slightly above the realized prices in the past and where I can come out alright without having to relist. I try to set my minimum's at a level where those stupid bottom dwellers don't put up a bid and knock off the Buy Now. I have had some success and some failures. The only regrets I have had are to low of a minimum that didn't get bid up.

This method has seemed to work for me.

Regards

Lee