NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default OT - The Real Ultimate Trade-Up

Friends and fellow collectors,

I have decided to embark on a journey to improve my capability to deliver any vintage sport cards you may purchase from me in person, call it special delivery if you will. I have decided that the best way to accomplish this goal is to obtain a late model Lamoborghini Huracan.

Lamborghini Huracan.jpg

This will enable me to deliver your cards in a timely manner. The vehicle is equipped with a secure glove compartment for storage of your purchase is transit. This change however will necessitate an elimination of any current listings with the designation of SHIPPING INCLUDED or FREE SHIPPING as a fuel surcharge will be needed to allow for this service. For deliveries to fly over country between the Hudson River and Beverly Hills, it may also be necessary to travel with a certified Lamborghini mechanic should an unforeseen breakdown occur.

Mechanic.jpeg

To finance this proposition I am planning on a series of trades, your car for my car even up, until we reach the goal. My current vehicle was purchased "new" in gem mint condition shown below.

yugo 1-001.jpg

This vehicle, yes it's a Yugo, is a rare collectable in its own right, that was marketed for a short period of time in the 1980s. Poorly engineered, ugly, and cheap, it survived much longer as a punch line for comedians than it did as a vehicle on the roads. The story of how this particular car became the most hated vehicle in the U.S. is a comedy of errors detailed in Jason Vuic’s book, The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History. A bewildering array of capitalist hucksters and impoverished communists desperate for revenue collaborated to create the Yugo, and what could have been a great international relations victory of the Cold War was ruined the moment consumers and auto critics actually got to drive it.

Now in the interest of full disclosure and transparency, and as you can imagine, my Yugo is no longer in mint condition. Several years ago a "short" developed in the electrical harness that resulted in a "minor" fire captured below.

yugo 2-001.jpg

Fortunately and to my surprise, enough of my Yugo was not flammable and the car was salvaged by the only remaining Yugoslavian body shop in the country. These motoring artisans completed the restoration only recently and the car is now back on the road.

Due to the lack of any specifications of parts that are no longer available, the car has only limited functionality. It will roll on flat services and does extremely well going downhill. Controlling downhill speed however is problematic.

yugo 3-001.jpg

The book value of this vehicle will not be found in any price guides and as you are well aware, past sales are of limited use in items this rare.

For my initial trade I am looking for either a Chevrolet Corvair, made famous by Ralph Nader in his book, "Unsafe At Any Speed"

corvair.jpeg

or a Ford Pinto (pre-explosion) with an intact rear end and gas tank.

pinto.jpeg

Who knows how many trades it will take to get to my ultimate goal, but i am convinced that the ends justify the means, and I do intend to be mean in these transactions.

Let me know what you have to trade and then I'll sharpen my pencil. Don't worry about test driving the Yugo. I could ship it, but local pickup is preferred, and don't forget to bring a trailer.

I cannot end this without thanking the Net54 community in advance for their enthusiastic participation in this, The Real Ultimate Trade Up.

Let's get 'er done.

Footnotes:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And what goes around, comes around, with the possible exception of my Yugo.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Yugos were truly amazing cars. My friend had one. I have never seen anything rust to fast. You could almost visually track it.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1971 Brown Pinto

My first car (not the exact one but exactly like it, color and all)... I believe it was totaled by my brother, if I remember correctly, therefore, sadly it can't be traded to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinto.jpg (72.7 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-23-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Br.ent So.bie

I'm in Frank!!!
As long as "the market" guarantees 100% that my Ford Pinto that blew up is worth less than your Yugo.... Things are always 100% regarding value with collectables and memorabilia... Right?!?!$&?
Old 04-23-2017, 05:56 PM
pete ullman

great idea, Frank...I may make an offer...but only if you tell me how long you plan to keep the Lambo?

I had a really bad car accident when I was 17...just got my license...was cruising town in my 76 ford granada when I blew a stop sign and was t-boned by a pinto. As Boys of Summer by don henley came to a sudden stop as I crashed drivers door side into a telephone pole...all I could think of was that I gotta get out of my car that Pinto's gonna blow!!!!!

I'll offer you a t205 Johnson for your yugo?

Deal?
Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Ben North

I don't have a Pinto but I am pretty sure there is a Mercury Bobcat in the deserted salvage yard by my greenhouse. Let me know if you are interested Frank.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

A few bits of info about the historical context of the Yugo.

The main guy behind bringing the Yugo to America was Malcolm Bricklin. He apparently fancied himself as a great auto sales man.

An early endeavor which left him a bit poor was importing a small car into the US. The Fiat Panda. Sadly, it wasn't a very good car, and despite its economy and low cost it didn't sell.

Later on, he decided to build his own cars! They were intended to be very safe, and probably were. But they looked like sports cars and performed poorly. They also had the usual problems of quickly developed and underfunded cars like the Delorean which came a bit later. So it sold poorly and Malcolm lost a bunch more money.

A bit later, Tito, ruler of Yugoslavia wanted to stick it to the Russians again - that was a bit of a hobby of his- defying the soviet union without getting invaded. This time he figure it would really bug them if he built up Yugoslavias auto industry and made it a success. Since he knew designing your own car was difficult, he went looking for a car he could build under the national car companies name. The best deal was from Fiat which had a model that was getting old and they licensed a niceish small car to Yugoslavia.

About that time Malcolm Bricklin had raised some more money and thought the American car market needed a really inexpensive small car. Not a bad idea, VW thought the same thing and eventually brought out the FOx which while not a great car wasn't bad for the price.
Of course, with Bricklins track record, he didn't find many potential business partners. Until He got in touch with Tito, who figured it would really frost the Russians *** if he made piles of money selling cars in the US. So he agreed to sell loads of them cheap to Malcolm Bricklin who marketed them as the Yugo.

How he didn't recognize that the Yugo was just a fiat Panda made even more poorly in Yugoslavia is a bit beyond me.

And so, Malcolm Bricklin became I believe the only person to go bust twice with the same car.

Pretty crazy.

And now you know the backstory you really should make a swap for Franks Yugo. It's a piece of ..............umm........History.
Plus, then I would buy a card from Frank. I'd love to see a Lamborghini up close, and maybe just maybe he'd let me deliver the next card.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 04-23-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Gosh, I need your help guys.

I have been offered the van below. Not sure if it comes with all the accessories.

VW van.jpg

Do you think they're authentic?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-23-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

I have been offered the van below. Not sure if it comes with all the accessories.

Attachment 270571

Hmmmm hard to tell Frank without the items "in hand" 😁
Old 04-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

This will work only if you know nothing about cars.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Robert J. Miller

I have a Rolls-Carnley if interested. It rolls down one hill and canardley get up the next.
Robert
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Ken McMillan

Frank,

I had the ultimate card delivery car when I was younger. It was the 1973 Vega Kammback station wagon. Lemon green in color like the lemon it was. Literally burned more oil than gas. Used to carry a case of oil in the back so each time you fill the tank, you would add a quart of oil. Also doubled as a mosquito fogger for the neighborhood. Would be especially useful in delivery of cards from the junk era of cards as what could be more perfect than a junker delivering junk?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1979.jpg (72.6 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by kmac32; 04-23-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Frank,

I had the ultimate card delivery car when I was younger. It was the 1973 Vega Kammback station wagon. Lemon green in color like the lemon it was. Literally burned more oil than gas. Used to carry a case of oil in the back so each time you fill the tank, you would add a quart of oil. Also doubled as a mosquito fogger for the neighborhood. Would be especially useful in delivery of cards from the junk era of cards as what could be more perfect than a junker delivering junk?
that thing is beautiful!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Bill Avery

Well its not one of the cars you listed but how about an eco-friendly Dodge truck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RJ04-600x403.jpg (19.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Frank - You've come up with another classic...thanks for sharing.

I don't have anything to trade myself, but I did just find this one on the 'bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Volkswa...NY~Tmh&vxp=mtr

COUPLE OF HIGHLIGHTS:

Mileage 1,002,039

Warranty Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-23-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default Trade??

Frank, if you'd be willing to throw a little cash (and I mean 'a little'), I could trade you this rusty, worn-slam-out wheelbarrow for your Yugo. This might actually fit in nicely for your card delivery service as it could haul quite a few unslabbed T206s at one time - certainly more than the glove compartment of any fancy-pants car that you may be dreamin' about.

I do not have a title and the inspection has run out, but it did start the last time I used it. I think that is actually a Yugo wheel and tire on the 'barrow.

Whaddya think - we got a deal???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusty wheelbarrow.jpg (55.6 KB, 206 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Attachment 270571

Mr. Santana Does!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Well its not one of the cars you listed but how about an eco-friendly Dodge truck?
That's hilarious!
Love the pic!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Bill Avery

I couldn't believe how quickly the search engine filled out my search for cars with trees growing out of them filled in or how many pictures came up.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Literally the definition of a "tree hugger".

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:

Attachment 270571

That van's a rockin'...DON'T COME KNOCKIN'!!!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.