NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Card Thefts

I finally had cards stolen from me. It wasn't super-significant - someone stole an outgoing bubble-mailer from my mailbox, for a $275 sale. I am fairly sure it was stolen because no mail was left for another two hours and the mailman told me he only stopped by once. In addition, the package was never scanned and a bill that was stolen along with it never had the check cashed.

My first reaction was that now my house might be targeted for a full-scale robbery, so I protected myself. I considered hitting every card shop and antique store in the area to see if it had been sold, and checked ebay daily for a couple of weeks. Basically, I had a hard time getting over the violation. The only constructive idea I've had was to get a P.O. Box and only hand packages directly to the postman. All other thoughts involved violence. I even considered driving around looking for the thief doing the same thing to others, but I'm certain I would tackle him and beat him senseless, landing me in jail. A policeman told me that it's fairly common in the area - car drives by, they see a package, one person jumps out and steals the package. I saw this actually take place with a car break-in at the park. I followed the car around with the intention of 'catching them', but had my girlfriend and dog in the car, so gave it up. I gave the license plate number to the police, but nothing was done. Later I stopped to talk with a college student who had been one of their victims - her homework was in her purse in the car, so she lost a lot of work (not on her computer). At that point I wished I had done something more.

So here's my question (for those of you have had been violated similarly): Should I just forget about it to get over this quicker? The idea of jumping to my door every time I hear a car slow down near my home, perpetually, really kind of disgusts me, but that's where I am at the moment.

I realize that I don't post here often anymore, so perhaps I am not worthy of a serious response , but I do miss a lot of you - just don't have room for the angst of discussion forums anymore. The real world has been amazingly rewarding.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Have a considered asking the real world? Otherwise I would protect myself best I can and forget about it

Last edited by Leon; 07-28-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Luke Lyon

I've seen locking mailboxes around here and there. I guess the mailman would have a key and it would make breaking into your mailbox a lot harder. And there would be clear evidence that a theft had occured if it ever happened.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Dave

I always hand deliver outgoing packages to the post office. I don't send out too many packages, so it's not a real inconvenience.

Sorry about the theft.
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM
James Head

Same thing happened to me this last holiday season.
Although they were large boxes that were left on my porch.
Here are actions I took after the incident.

I sent some emails to local cards shops with what the items were.
I called Fedex and USPS and they told me "tough luck".

I filed a police report along with the pictures and descriptions from the listings.
Then made a home owner's insurances claim. (received a check in about 10 days).

To help prevent this in the future I filled out a form at the post office to no longer receive parcels (i.e. boxes) at my house without someone receiving them in person.
Also I opened a PO Box and just receive all of my Cards etc. there.

All told, it was not that big of a pain and it forced me to go the PO box route which I should have done awhile ago. Good luck-
Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Rich v@n He$$

If someone stole your check written to pay a bill, you should seriously consider notifying your bank and having a new account set up. And, unfortunately, I would suggest not leaving outgoing mail in your box. I had the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM

you might check the online data base of incident reports in your area. Might be some interesting conclusions to be drawn. Patterns, time of day, day of week, etc.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I suggest security cameras that activate when motion is sensed. Also a DVR to record 24 hrs a day even when you're not home.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Mark Medlin

I think I would wake up early. Hold my urge to use the restroom for a bit. Then when I felt it was properly saved up, I would let it loose in a box. Then wrap it up real nice and place out for delivery. Make sure to retrieve if not stolen, prior to delivery man picking it up. If they are the recipient of such a nice gift, might break their habit.

Mark
Old 07-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Have a considered asking the real world? Otherwise I would protect myself best I can and forget about it
I did. I spoke with the police, my postman and a few non-card collecting friends who I thought might have thoughts about the violation of being robbed, even though they don't collect cards. I assume those were the types of things you were referring to.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
I think I would wake up early. Hold my urge to use the restroom for a bit. Then when I felt it was properly saved up, I would let it loose in a box. Then wrap it up real nice and place out for delivery. Make sure to retrieve if not stolen, prior to delivery man picking it up. If they are the recipient of such a nice gift, might break their habit.

Mark
While all of the above suggestions are great, I really like this one - I considered leaving a 'dummy' package with a note inside, but I like your idea even better!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Bob Davies

Really sorry to hear all this. And I'm not looking to hijack the thread.

I'm sitting here in Canada, reading this, and thinking "The USPS picks up outgoing mail from your home?"

We can barely get Canada Post to bring our mail to our door anymore. Most mail is dropped in a multi-box on a corner, and you have to go get it.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Really sorry to hear all this. And I'm not looking to hijack the thread.

I'm sitting here in Canada, reading this, and thinking "The USPS picks up outgoing mail from your home?"

We can barely get Canada Post to bring our mail to our door anymore. Most mail is dropped in a multi-box on a corner, and you have to go get it.
Thanks. This is a very minor thing.

You can put in an online request for mail pick-up and they will knock on your door - it's great. I don't do it because I would have to have the items packed and ready to ship the night before, and I tend to package things at the last minute. But I used that service in Georgia, as the mailman did not come to our apartment door.

The USPS service in Tacoma is the greatest I've experienced. My mailman comes by first thing in the morning to drop off packages, then in the afternoon for everything else. He hides packages (so well that once it took me almost a week to find one!) and made several great suggestions regarding future package pick-up: leave outgoing mail in the milk box, stick it inside my screen door, leave it inside (hidden) the mailbox, or put in an online request the evening before to have packages picked up - then I can leave them inside the house until he arrives and he will ring the bell. The prior mailman knew that I had a lot of outgoing mail, so he always honked twice when he arrived, so that I could hear him if I was working in the garden. You can also get a red flag for your box.

Great guys (and gals) all around.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Al Richter

Default Stolen mail

I would worry as much about the stolen check , even if not cashed and you stopped payment. I never use my mailbox anymore to pay bills after a similar theft. They got 3 checks, washed them and wrote them for other amounts to other people. Then they created new checks. I had to terminate the account and open another. A hassle. Then they used my info on the checks to create other fake checks on other fake accounts. As a result I got contacts from angry vendors who had my name and info from the fake checks, and contacts from police looking into complaints about bad checks. Fortunately the bank returned almost all the money, but it was a mess for awhile. None of my outgoing mail now goes in my mailbox

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-28-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Ben North

Sorry for your loss Scott, usually retaliation gets you in trouble.

Last Monday I got back at someone that stole from me about 3 years ago.

I play in a Monday night golf league. One of the guys we played against was complaining about an employee. Said he was asking for overtime constantly but couldn't even show up for work all the time. When I heard his name I said that POS stole from me and told him the story. He then got on his phone called another employee and asked if he could go to work and fill in. Then called the guy that stole from me and fired him on the spot while on speaker phone for all to hear.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I have been pricing camera setups for my front door that I can access from my phone or computer. I have never had anything taken, but it is not unheard of around here.

I understand the want for revenge though. I would have a hard time not leaving out a box with a the biggest pet store tarantula in packing peanuts I could find, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Steve

I would recommend something like the Google Nest Cam:

https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/

There are a lot of devices like it, so you have choices. This one in particular can do things like automatically store video and audio based off motion and/or sound and only alert you if you are not home (your choice...you can link it to your phone for location services).

The nice thing about this one is that it stores directly to the cloud, so if someone breaks into your home, they can't remove the memory stick to take the evidence like they could with some devices.

A subscription for cloud storage is $100/year...perhaps worth the cost if you think it might help in theft recovery, but that's up to the individual to decide.

You can buy a three-pack of cameras of you want to focus on various locations.

It's easy setup...less than 10 minutes.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by brass_rat; 07-28-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

I would recommend something like the Google Nest Cam:

https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/

There are a lot of devices like it, so you have choices. This one in particular can do things like automatically store video and audio based off motion and/or sound and only alert you if you are not home (your choice...you can link it to your phone for location services).

The nice thing about this one is that it stores directly to the cloud, so if someone breaks into your home, they can't remove the memory stick to take the evidence like they could with some devices.

A subscription for cloud storage is $100/year...perhaps worth the cost if you think it might help in theft recovery, but that's up to the individual to decide.

You can buy a three-pack of cameras of you want to focus on various locations.

It's easy setup...less than 10 minutes.

Cheers,
Steve

What Steve said . . .

The technology has gotten pretty good and the setup and ongoing costs are very reasonable. They can be used indoors and outdoors. You could even point one directly at your mailbox. It provides particular peace of mind when I'm away. Not only do they record all motion but individual cameras can be coded to send an email immediately upon detecting (recording) motion -- and you can play it back immediately from your phone. I use Foscam and the monthly cost is less than $10.

Scott
Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default camera

Put a camera and point it toward your mailbox. Leave a package in your mailbox and see if it tempts anyone. You will have it on tape and maybe it will be the same people who took your other package.

4 years ago, just before Xmas, the UPS guy told me that there had been a series of thefts from a local 100 unit trailer park. I was the Postmaster in that city at that time, and I started receiving customer complaints about USPS parcels being stolen. Someone would watch USPS or UPS deliver a package, and they would follow them and steal the package. It was probably a resident of the trailer park who knew who was home and who was at work. We stopped package delivery to that location and so did UPS.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Justin

I've had a UPS Store mailbox (previously Mailboxes Etc) for over 20 years. They're much better than a po box because they can receive mail/packages from anyone (UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc) and they will sign for them. It doesn't hurt that one is just a couple blocks from my house. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, but still can't imagine sending/receiving valuable packages using my home mailbox.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Tom Boblitt

I don't leave anything in my outgoing box. If it's not scanned at the point of drop off, you have no proof that the USPS ever had it, only that you printed a label. No recourse whatsoever. At least with that counter scan with an agent, you have proof you tendered it to the post office. For the same reason, I have a UPS store mailbox for all deliveries as well. They're there from 8-8 and sign for packages from anyone and it's a real address so all carriers deliver there. Costs me about $12/mo but it's a great cost of doing business. Sorry that happened to you though. Have heard of kids doing that in my neighborhood years ago, so that's why I'm a bit paranoid now.....
Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 PM
James Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I've had a UPS Store mailbox (previously Mailboxes Etc) for over 20 years. They're much better than a po box because they can receive mail/packages from anyone (UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc) and they will sign for them. It doesn't hurt that one is just a couple blocks from my house. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, but still can't imagine sending/receiving valuable packages using my home mailbox.
I have not had any issues with the US Post office accepting packages from the other carriers and delivered to my PO box. You just have to use the physical post office address not just your box number alone. The numbers after the dash on the zip code is your box number as well.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head928 View Post
I have not had any issues with the US Post office accepting packages from the other carriers and delivered to my PO box. You just have to use the physical post office address not just your box number alone. The numbers after the dash on the zip code is your box number as well.
Cool, if it works for you that's great. Just curious, will they sign for packages that require a signature? My local post office doesn't work for me because they close too early and their lines are usually ridiculous...

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

To answer the OP's question I think you'll be better off letting it go. Trying to track down the thief doesn't seem very likely. Unless you notice someone lurking in the neighborhood and set up some kind sting operation.

I know how you feel. I had a break in a few years back and had a lot stolen, including a couple of grand worth of cards after I had gotten back into the hobby. I was pretty paranoid for a while after it happened. The street was a dead end after my house so it was unusual to find any parked cars or people driving other than the neighbors. But when I saw anyone else I kept an eye on them. I even followed a couple of vehicles that were probably just lost and turning around. I did not catch the thief and doubt the cops put much effort into doing so either.

I did install a home security system a couple of days after the robbery, and now keep any cards worth more than a grand or so at the bank.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-28-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:42 PM
James Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Cool, if it works for you that's great. Just curious, will they sign for packages that require a signature? My local post office doesn't work for me because they close too early and their lines are usually ridiculous...

I have had a couple of times where UPS showed up for delivery after the post office was closed but they have always showed up the next day to deliver it during business hours. And USPS has always signed for it as well.

But I totally agree with you that not all US post offices are the same. We have some USPS branches out here that it seems they go out of their way to be totally unreasonable. I think it is a matter of what fits best for the situation.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Curt

I seem to remember actual mailboxes back when I was a kid! Joking a little bit, as I know they exist, but I have not had one since I last lived with my parents in the 80s. Unless you have an older house and/or some property these days, it seems all the housing developments have those locked mail bin stations throughout neighborhoods.

I don't think I could stand the stress of having anything delivered to that type of unsecured mailbox these days, nor would I want to leave anything valuable in the outgoing. I receive ALL of my card shipments at my office and I take anything I mail to the PO.

Porch package robbers have become so commonplace now and a mailbox is even less risky for those D-Bags to steal from.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:07 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

#1 ) I take EVERY card I sell or trade, directly to the post office and mail the package from there.

#2) I have not told, shown, or anything else, our collection to anybody in my town, or even part of the state, that is not 100% trustworthy. So basically, Zack's cousins and our direct family are the only people that know what we have.

Main thing, just dont show or brag about your stuff. Then nobody knows you have it.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:25 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
While all of the above suggestions are great, I really like this one - I considered leaving a 'dummy' package with a note inside, but I like your idea even better!
I would advise against this. The type of person who would steal from someone's mailbox is very likely the type of person who would over retaliate to your action. You get a little urine on their hands and they retaliate with a rock through the window or worse.

Security cameras are a good idea if you think this is going to happen again and I would hand deliver all outgoing packages in the future.

However, if in the end if you let this eat at you too much, the thief has stolen from you again.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I would advise against this. The type of person who would steal from someone's mailbox is very likely the type of person who would over retaliate to your action. You get a little urine on their hands and they retaliate with a rock through the window or worse.

Security cameras are a good idea if you think this is going to happen again and I would hand deliver all outgoing packages in the future.

However, if in the end if you let this eat at you too much, the thief has stolen from you again.

Good luck
I was thinking out the other end (hopefully not a double entendra)
Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Nick Mich@lovitz

I'm sorry to hear about the theft. Like other folks have mentioned, I never leave anything in my mailbox for outgoing. IMO, a crook could easily target your mailbox as the red flag is up, basically saying "hey look at me, something is in my mailbox"!

On a side note, in all my years on ebay 16+, I had one incoming package that was empty and I didn't have insurance so, I was SOL! Back then ebay didn't require sellers to cover insurance. The card stolen was a 2000 Topps Chrome refractor Ron Dayne rookie , it was around a $250+ card. Yes, I'm from WI, on a good note, I could probably find that card for $5.00! Anyhow, sorry to hear about the theft, never know maybe it will show up?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Scott

I have had theft-free, trouble-free experience with the USPS system now for 40+ years regarding sending and receiving sportscards (and related items).

I attribute this to a simple decision I made back in the 1970's to rent a PO Box in a small Post Office branch near were I live. You get personal attention
from the Postal employee(s) at such branch offices. My postmaster calls me when I receive an important package containing BB cards. He knows not to
jam "soft" packages into my PO box, etc., etc.

Perhaps, I've been lucky all these years. Whatever, I cannot say enough for this type of personal service from USPS.

My advice to you....consider renting a PO Box in a local small PO. The annual fee ranges $50 - $100. This is a small price to pay for "peace of mind".

TED Z
Old 08-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Henry Shrimps
Banned

I would move if I were you. They will come back and steal your cards. Don't trust police on this kind of matter, unless someone died otherwise they wouldn't care this kind of kindergarten crime.

Last edited by hshrimps; 08-10-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Move ?

Henry-- do you think you could get Scott and his cards into WITSEC ?