NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Default Owning Ruth or Wagner cards - recommendation?

Greetings,

First of all, thanks to everyone on the board for the great information I've gotten since joining!

Another question.... I focus on T206s and want to keep most of my funds for this. But, I want to supplement my cards with something Ruth and Wagner. I want something from their era - no reprints. I don't want to spend more than about $200 / card and I want something in good condition. I've looked on this board and around for ideas and suggestions for a particular year or card to target but am a bit confused. Any recommendations or suggestions? Or is my goal underfunded?

Just wondering if there is a card type of either of these that is within this price range, and if so, I appreciate all recommendations.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

For $200 the Wagner will be limited to a lower grade game card.
Either WG4, WG5, or WG6 all from the 1913-14 Era.

For Ruth $200 will give you more of a choice, but still lower grade
Cards like the W511, W512, W515, W516, W517, W560, and R315, R316
can be had at times for under $200 if you shop around and dont need one right this minute.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Arnie

I got the card on the left, which is Ruth and heavyweight champion Max Schmelling for under $200 on Ebay. Its from around 1934, and its a German card for Bulgarian Cigarettes. They are on Ebay from time to time, and can be found easily enough in a sort on the names.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 01-02-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Paul Carek

A couple other suggestions:

May be a bit too spendy, but you may be able to find a technically low-grade T200 Pittsburgh NL that looks nice.

Also, the Sanella Margerine Ruth is a nice card, and you can probably find a decent one in your price range.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

As Paul said, the Sanella Margerine Ruth looks like it would fit your criteria. Not mine, but here's one on Ebay now http://cgi.ebay.com/1932-Sanella-Mar...item2a0ce46898

Also, if you don't mind a card from later in life, you could look at the 48/49 Leaf cards as possibilities.

dj
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM

That Sanella Ruth is a great recommendation. I'll check out the Wagner options. This is very helpful. Thanks and all additional suggestions are appreciated!

Eric
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Barry Arnold

Default ruth wagner

i like and have the bulgaria and sanella ruth, in part because they're ruth, but even of greater import for me is they're being great foreign cards with the
german language displayed beautifully on the backs.
another ruth that i have that can be found inexpensively is the butterfinger'34

with respect to wagner the only inexpensive ones that i have are the
'36 fine pens from his coaching days which shows him incredibly aged and wise and the one available on the T200 pittsburgh.

all the best,
barry
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
i like and have the bulgaria and sanella ruth, in part because they're ruth, but even of greater import for me is they're being great foreign cards with the german language displayed beautifully on the backs.
I concur with Barry et al who have made similar remarks in this thread. The Sanella and Bulgaria are both nice cards from Ruth's playing days that can be owned in superior condition at relatively low prices to other Ruth cards from the same era.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM
JB

Default ............

I agree with the info above, i like the WG4 (1914 Polo Ground Game) Wagner. Card can be found around that price in vg to ex range. Best of luck!

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Bill

In my opinion, Sanella Ruths are under priced.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
T0dd M@rcum

One I have always been curios about is the Schapira Bros. Ruth...seems to be more than plenty of them around, I never see them change hands and yet they always have very strong asking prices...what's up with that?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Barry Arnold

Default chris c

great pics and grades there, chris.

congrats!!!

bill, i remember hearing that years ago, when the sanella's were just getting known over here, that prices were much higher---500 to 1000 bucks were not unusual.
obviously, once folks(from overseas) began digging theirs up out of the closets---particularly out of the books that housed them, the prices plummeted.

best,
barry
Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Jon Canfield

I would imagine a low-grade Colgan's of Wagner can be had for $200-$300 or so (maybe a little out of your budget?). Great little card with the iconic image.

Last edited by canjond; 01-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.