NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Southern/Texas League Lists

Posted By: Cobby33

Does anyone know where there exists a list, by player, of the Southern, Texas, Virginia and South Atlantic leagues int he T206 series?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Hey Cobby,

A little while ago I created an Excel spreadsheet that listed the T206 set by player/team/league. Unfortunately, it's not on this computer.

If you don't get a response and/or want my spreadsheet (that goes for anyone for that matter) drop me an email richard@richardarmstrong.ca and I'll send it to you Tues/Wed once I'm back on the other one.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks Richard, will do.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: stutor

Copied from the back of 'The Monster'

SOUTH ATLANTIC LEAGUE
Coles, Augusta
Foster, Charleston
Paige, Charleston
Kiernan, Columbia
Manion, Columbia
Helm, Columbus
Mullaney, Jacksonville
Violat, Jacksonville
LaFitte, Macon
Howard, Savannah

SOUTHERN LEAGUE
Jordan, Atlanta
Smith, Atlanta
Molesworth, Birmingham
Hart, Little Rock
Lentz, Little Rock
Carey, Memphis
Cranston, Memphis
Hickman, Mobile
Thornton, Mobile
Greminger, Montgomery
Hart, Montgomery
Persons, Montgomery
Rockenfeld, Montgomery
Bay, Nashville
Bernhard, Nashville
Ellam, Nashville
Perdue, Nashville
Breitenstein, New Orleans
Fritz, New Orleans
Reagan, New Orleans

TEXAS LEAGUE
Miller, Dallas
White, Houston
Bastian, San Antonio
Stark, San Antonio
Smith, Shreveport
Thebo, Shreveport

VIRGINIA LEAGUE
King, Danville
Westlake, Danville
Hooker, Lynchburg
Orth, Lynchburg
Otey, Norfolk
Seitz, Norfolk
Guiheen, Portsmouth
McCauley, Portsmouth
Lipe, Richmond
Revelle, Richmond
Ryan, Roanoke
Shaughnessy, Roanoke

Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks a bunch Stutor!

Old 01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: .

Old 01-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Got it-thanks!

I noticed that the list (by scarcity) includes players from the S Atlantic League and possibly other leagues. "The Monster" breaks them out as "Southern, S Atlantic, Texas and Virginia" leagues. Are there all considered "Southern?"

Also--previous posts suggest that all of the backs of the Southern players (Old Mill (So.?), Piedmont and Hindu) were distributed only in the South--is this a general understanding?

Thanks to all again.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scot reader

<<I noticed that the list (by scarcity) includes payers from the S Atlantic League and possibly other leagues. "The Monster" breaks them out as "Southern, S Atlantic, Texas and Virginia" leagues. Are there all considered "Southern?">>

Yes. South Atlantic League (SAL), Southern Association (SA), Virginia League (VL) and Texas League (TL) subjects are all considered T206 "southern leaguers." There are 48 "southern leaguers" in all.

<<Also--Were the Southern Leaguers with backs other than Old Mill So. distributed in the South?>>

Yes. SAL/SA/VL subjects are possible with the Brown Hindu, Old Mill Southern and Piedmont 350 backs. TL subjects are possible with the Old Mill Southern and Piedmont 350 backs but not the Brown Hindu back. Ads in New Orleans and Atlanta newspapers establish that SAL/SA/VL subjects with Brown Hindu and Old Mill Southern backs were distributed in the South. It seems likely that SAL/SA/VL/TL subjects with the Piedmont 350 back would have also been distributed in the South since Piedmont was a popular cigarette brand in the Southeast.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks Scot!

Old 01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

Good breakdown. But when I saw the list, something jumped out at me: The SAL is only repessented by 7 teams, and the TL by 5 (typo somewhere on Thebo, who is Waco, not Shrivesport). How can a league have an odd number of teams?? Even back then, owners knew that no one would come out and spend money watching a team play a BYE. Odd teamed leagues are very few.

So did a little research, and answered my question:
++ TL was an 8 team league, just no player repressented from Ft Worth, Oklahoma City, or Galvaston. Although all 8 teams are found in t210-3's.
++ SAL was an 8 team league, just no player repressented from Chattanooga.
++ All 8 teams in SA and 6 in VL are repressented.

This, of course, brought up a few finer points:
++ Chattanooga was only in the SAL one year, 1909. They then moved in the SA in 1910, replacing Little Rock. Thus, Chattanooga is found in t210-8's, but NO Little Rock. This may also answer why there are those 2 Chattanooga t206 Proofs out there.
++ in 1910, the SAL returned to 6 teams, losing Charleston (SC) along with Chat. Thus the t210-1's only have these remaining 6 teams.

Finally, I can relax, everything's nice and EVEN ............

Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

There is a printer's error (Thanks, Denny) in the Southern Leagues checklist from the Monster. In the Texas League, Denny ommitted Waco. Only Smith was with Shreveport. Thebo was with WACO.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor on here a few months back that a lot of these Southern cards were destroyed due to the unfortunate weather-related events of last year?