NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions on a transaction issue

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Those cards are obscure and ugly. Also, nice to see the new year start in such a nice way--seller reneges, and buyer is called a rip-off artist.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I'm not mad about him reselling them, they're his to resell. I am more disappointed in the run around of dishonesty. But again its over. Thankfully, as many have mentioned... I did get my money back (less paypal fees).

And if theres any way for me to prove that I did not know the exact identity of the cards, please let me know. I had no idea what they were. I searched all over eBay and google for those cards. They're never on eBay, and I've continued to search for them for the past 3 months looking for them... to see if someone had received my package.

They were advertised as 1930s, I looked everywhere for info on them. I figured the 60 or so commons were junk and the Ruth and Jones might be worth $100 or so each. Clearly, as from last week's auctions, I was wrong. And if I had known what they were, I would have offered more than enough to secure them, overnight them, etc. Obscure and ugly yes.... they don't even mention the athlete's name on them... which was one of the reasons I didn't know how much to offer in the first place. The likeliness of an athlete doesn't always mean its them.

Being called a rip-off artist sure does stink, and I'd be upset if I was seriously being thought of that way. I wish I had more transaction experience with members of this board who could vouch for me.

-Kyle-

Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

"seller reneges, and buyer is called a rip-off artist"

Football player kills wife, and it ends up being an attack on a police detective. That's America.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Dan,

Much like you will never find a rule that a "tie goes to the runner," you will never find a law that actually says possession is 9/10s . . .

Regardless, this does not involve a situation where s/o found something or simply had it in his/her possession and someone else claimed it as their own. This is a matter of contract. An agreement to sell something. Retaining what you agreed to sell is a breach of contract and you can be held liable for it.

Now knowing more about the numbers in this case, I would submit that had Kyle actually won the cards for $1300, his damages would be $1140 (what he now has to pay less the original offer). You could even argue that his damages would be the amount it might cost him to replace them (I think someone above said they were worth about 3k) less the amount he should have gotten them for (160).

Old 01-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

it goes without saying that ending the auction early with/for an offer is the main culprit here. had the original auction ran its course who knows what the final outcome could have been. The seller would have had less of a discription and possibly some potential buyer/bidders would not have been in the picture.

..............or the outcome we see tonite could have happened as well.

Steve

Old 01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Just out of curiosity... Kyle said earlier that he didn't want to publicize details because he didn't want to advertise an auction he was bidding on. Now that we can see it it appears that was good strategy, as there were only two bidders besides Kyle.

I happen to thing most strip cards are pretty ghastly, so I wouldn't have given these cards a second blink and am not even sure if I saw them in my normal ebay crawl. But that's me. Anyone have any thoughts on the fact that these did seem to go unnoticed? And how that is? And were they oddly listed as to miss mainstream contact w/people here that obviously recognize the value now that they see them?

I swear I pick through ebay with a fine-tooth comb, and still miss half the good stuff!

Joann

FWIW - I tend to believe you too Kyle. Maybe you thought they were worth more than $160, but not that much more, or maybe you thought you could catch lightening in a bottle and get lucky if a few significant cards ended up being included - but overall I have too much faith in human nature to think someone could offer 1/8 or whatever, in any good conscience. So I don't think you did. FWIW

Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Thanks Joann.

I had hoped to find out what they were and make a few bucks on them. $100 here and there can go a long way for me. I am being honest and I appreciate you believing it.

-Kyle-

Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

joanne.............these did seem to go unnoticed? And how that is?

The seller had them in some funky categories.

Steve

edited to add I'm thinking a non sports category , a 30's baseball and maybe even 1 other would have been better, m or at least more discriptive of what he actually had.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Steve,

Yeah - that's what I was wondering. Military, and pre-1950's lots. I don't know what categories people here routinely check. And even in those categories, aren't there advocates within those areas that comb daily listings just like people on this board scour the pre-1930's? I'm just surprised, that's all.

I wasn't sure where else they could/should have been listed. Singles 1930-1939? Something else? Where they in the featured section, or whatever? (A bounce-off of the recent thread about who pays attention to ebay special features - did this lot use special features, and if it had would it have been more noticed, even in the oddball categories it appeared in.)

J

Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Some collectors need to buy a 2006 Standard Catalog and thumb through it. You should know exactly what that set was, it is listed on page 130 in the 2006 Catalog at $4,000 NRMT for the "Beloved Baseball Idol of All Boys" card (Babe Ruth).

From the 1st time I ever saw these cards a few years back, they have stuck in my head because of the quoted value. I guess they do have the value as they all seem to sell for bigger $$ that Id ever expect from that issue. I have now seen 6 examples of the Ruth in auctions over the last 3 years. IMO...... totally Ugly cards, not too rare and way overpriced. Doesnt even say "Babe Ruth" on it, and made a couple years after Ruth hung them up. PS.Im repeating myself... We just had a message board post on these Donut Co. cards 1 week ago (last post Dec.27th). A Donut Co. Ruth just sold on eBay less than 2 weeks ago, and a golfer guy too.