NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default Trimming issue....lessons learned

Posted By: cmoking

Recently I posted a 1934 Goudey Frankie Frisch card that I was confused about whether it was trimmed or not. It was originally in a PRO 7.5 holder. When I cracked it out and sent it to PSA, they rejected it as trimmed. Then I sent it to SGC and they graded it as SGC 80. Here is the scan of the card:

So I was confused. The fact that it was originally in a PRO holder made me think there was a good chance it was trimmed. I bought it because I wanted to get a good idea of what a trimmed card may look like. When I cracked it out of the PRO case, everything looked perfect to my naked eye. It measured correctly, and I could not see anything that resembled trimming. So I thought 'hmm...maybe a non-trimmed card actually slipped by PRO!'. When PSA sent it back to me as trimmed, I wasn't that surprised since it was in a PRO holder originally. But I still didnt' see what they saw...and wondered why they thought it was trimmed. I've had other cards that they've said were trimmed and that I had sent back to them that afterwards they graded...so I know they are inconsistent with that. I'm not going to speculate on their motives, but I know it's very possible.

Then I sent it to SGC to see what they would say. If it came back as trimmed from them, then I would be fairly sure I'm missing something and I had to learn a lot more about why this card was trimmed. But to my surprise, they graded it SGC 80 (undergraded IMO if it wasn't trimmed :0 ). But now this confused me even more...and I started a thread asking those questions.

My concern isn't in obvious trim-jobs that one can easily spot in a scan. My concern was with good trim-jobs that isn't identifiable in a scan, and may even get past the grading companies. That thread unfortunately didn't help that much. Many people responded, but no one really had any useful insight. I sent a few emails, and some of them basically said "just look at the card and you can tell"...which weren't helpful at all. One person who helped me out was David Vargha. I emailed him because I respected his impartiality and thought he knew what he was talking about. In turn, he put me in touch with Kevin Saucier. Fortunately for me, I was going to the area where Kevin lives, so I asked him if I could meet him in person and bring the card with me. It would be more difficult to convey his thoughts in writing versus showing me what he saw.

Kevin took 2.5 hours of his time to go over how a card looks when it is trimmed and otherwise altered. He trimmed a couple of cards and showed me the telltale signs of how it would look and feel. This was incredibly educational! He looked at this Frisch card carefully and in his opinion, it wasn't trimmed. From learning from him, I too am comfortable knowing that it isn't trimmed. I also learned other issues about trimming which will make me a much smarter consumer in the future. I wasn't expecting this much great info from a stranger, and I am grateful for Kevin's generosity with his time!

Thanks guys. Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Kevin is one of the greatest guys in the hobby.

Glad you got something out of the experience, King.

-Al

Old 01-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I agree regarding Vargha and Kevin, both are great guys.

However my question is did Kevin laser trim it? ( the examples) or just razor type trim job them ? I ask cuz I am under the impression that some use a laser now?

Nice card cmoking

I also bought a pro graded card 1x and it too was not trimmed. It was simply graded 7.5 but had a crease across Pee Wee's chest that went on to the back. Pro does not always grade just trimmed cards.

Steve

Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

no lasers, just razors and scissors. But we did discuss that briefly.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

You originally sent the card to PSA in the PRO holder? If you need that they may not have even looked at it and sent it back trimmed. Sending it in raw takes that factor out.

Lee

Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

I wrote: "When I cracked it out and sent it to PSA, they rejected it as trimmed."

Old 01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Thanks, wasn't sure by original post. I think alot of trimming (and miscuts) issues are tough to figure out.

Lee

Old 01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Back when this was the fullcountbbc, someone had a link, or wrote in a post, or something, a great little tutorial on id'ing trimmed cards. It even had pictures of bat's ears.

Well that computer died, blah blah long sad story, but I lost all my bookmarks and image downloads (along with my final outlines for Torts I and Contracts I!). Anyone remember what I'm talking about? It seems like it was a link - maybe a whole thread - but not just a post or two.

I actually still have that dead duck of a computer, thinking that maybe I'll be able to rescue some of my info some day. Maybe I should try to crank it up and look for that link/post. I'm sure I saved it somehow.

Joann

Old 01-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Kevin has spent the last few years learning as much as humanly possible about detecting doctored cards, and the methods used. He's extremely generous with his knowledge, and is one of the nicest guys in the hobby.
If you're looking for old Full Count posts, much of the board has been archived. Some of the links are dead, but there is still a lot there, and it's fun to go back and read the old threads. The last date you can access the message board is May 17th, 2001.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fullcountbcc.com