NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Tony

Default My pet peeve

I accept offers on ebay; When I get an offer, (mostly lowball but whatever) I drop what I am doing and generally respond within a couple of min. I check VCP and recent sales and usually make a fair counteroffer.

What bothers me? People don't respond; either accept it, decline it {NBD} or counter. Why spend the time making the offer in the first place if you are not even going to respond to me? 99% of the time they expire because people haven't responded in 2 days.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:01 AM
C@rl P@rk

I am definitely guilty of this, though in 99% of cases where I don't respond, it's because the seller barely moved off of the BIN price so it didn't seem like a deal was going to happen. I don't think I ever noticed that formally declining a seller's counter was an option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Ben

I usually wait the whole length of time before I accept an offer just to see if I get a better one.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I try to respond ASAP as well, but here are some possible reasons that people ghost you once you've made a counteroffer:
1) They're still considering accepting your offer, but decided to put other offers out to sellers of the same card to see if they can beat your price.
2) They're still considering accepting your offer, but have to move money into PayPal or sell something to be able to afford the new price.
3) By allowing the offer to expire, they're showing you (in a passive-aggressive manner) that they don't need the card. So if they come along three days after your counteroffer, they may offer their original price again because you haven't sold the card in the meantime. < "Game theory" theory
4) They are on a cruise and cannot access the internet to see that you counteroffered.
5) They would rather let the counter expire than reject it, and consider angering you. Some people are that timid, and many sellers on eBay will get agitated over flat rejections.
6) They don't care that much. There's no requirement for you to sell it to them, because you have the ability to sell it to anyone else while their offer is outstanding. So there's no harm to you in letting it expire.
7) Ghosting is now a part of culture. Shy people have decided it is better to disappear than to be involved in things they're tired of.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 04-16-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Sam Lemoine

Default But, on the other hand...

I've noticed it far more the other way. At least 15-20% of the time that I make an offer as a buyer, I get no response. This especially annoys me, because essentially for 48 hours I am married to that offer and my funds are tied up because there is a chance that the offer will be accepted. When it is a substantial item, that can cause you to miss out on other deals that may come along, just on the off chance that the seller will respond.

Oh, and as a buyer, if a seller has a "Make Offer" and I offer 85% of the asking price and they come back with a $1 reduction from their BIN, I won't waste my time responding to their response either. I figure they don't really want offers. Game over.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Sam Lemoine

Default But, on the other hand...

I've noticed it far more the other way. At least 15-20% of the time that I make an offer as a buyer, I get no response. This especially annoys me, because essentially for 48 hours I am married to that offer and my funds are tied up because there is a chance that the offer will be accepted. When it is a substantial item, that can cause you to miss out on other deals that may come along, just on the off chance that the seller will respond.

Oh, and as a buyer, if a seller has a "Make Offer" and I offer 85% of the asking price and they come back with a $1 reduction from their BIN, I won't waste my time responding to their response either. I figure they don't really want offers. Game over.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Tony

I could certainly understand how that would be annoying as a buyer; can't you cancel your offer? in my case that is usually not the case.

I can only speak for myself; sometimes, I may come down very little but usually there is a reason. Either, I am already below VCP or I am the lowest seller by a substantial amount for same card in same grade even if mine may have better eye appeal than similar listed.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post

^^^^^^^^^

excellent points!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I can relate to this fully! Rarely, now, do I even look at BINS. After numerous, reasonable bids, were ignored, on their over the top high priced cards, it has become nothing but a waste of time and effort.

I have no issue with people asking what they want, but if you are going to ignore me, even if your prices are totally unrealistic, then I'm moving on.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBen View Post
I usually wait the whole length of time before I accept an offer just to see if I get a better one.
Does that actually work? I have never had a seller send me a lower counter offer unless I sent in a second offer first. Most people don't like negotiating against their own offers.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

I have the same issues myself, if someone will not drop even 5% I tend to be annoyed enough to move on. I would have rather had a no best offer option because waiting for a weak counter wasted my time.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Does that actually work? I have never had a seller send me a lower counter offer unless I sent in a second offer first. Most people don't like negotiating against their own offers.
My guess is he meant as a seller, he would wait the 48 hours to see if he received a better offer from a different buyer before accepting (or at least responding to) the original offer from the 1st buyer.

I've done this a couple times, but usually when the offer came within a couple days of the listing, thinking I may have miscalculated the initial value.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

So I love the Make an Offer option most of the time. I'd say that 95% of sellers get back to me within an hour, and because I feel I make pretty fair offers most of mine are accepted.

I was looking at some Kershaw Five Star auto that seller had listed for $90 with an offer. I offered $80. He countered at $89. See ya buddy... no thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 AM
marty

If i get an offer on an item that has been listed for a while, i typically will jump on it right away. If i get an offer on a card that i JUST listed (same day) I typically wait to see if the buyer will get anxious and go ahead and BIN or perhaps another buyer will come along and BIN while the offer is still pending. I do NOT let the BIN offer expire.. at least i do not do that purposefully. some might slip through the cracks.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Robert Klevens

You just set automatic accept or reject and not have to deal with low ball offers.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Is there a date when the card was listed or a way to know if it's been available for a while?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

As a seller, if I get a lowball offer I typically don't even take the time to go decline it. I think of the 2 day expiration as an automatic decliner. That's only for offers that I question if it's a serious offer or not. If it's a decent offer, I'll at least counter it

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM
John Wondowski

I try to communicate quickly on both ends of the deal. Dragging your feet isn't a good negotiating ploy, it just pisses the other person off. Now, I'm sure I've screwed up and forgotten to respond a couple of times through the years, but it wasnt on purpose. FWIW, I've made several successful deals with offerers who start out with a lowball first offer. You just never know.