NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Default 19th Century Only Auction Winners

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Looks like I won my very first "auction house" auction this morning. I picked up my 6th Home Run Kisses catcher, Drummond Brown.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else was lucky enough to win anything in the 19th Century Only Auction?

Patrick

Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Nice card Patrick. Unfortunately this auction was just another where the ending time just kills the east coast folks. I made it to about 1 A.M. went to bed with four lots I was winning and woke up with only one, was hoping to have picked up one of the mid-grade D310's as well but it didn't happen.

(Congrats to Seth however on some nice prices realized)

My lone win-

Old 10-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Auction ended at 10:30 pm Hawaii time and the advantage probably did work to my favor, although I had to duke it out with some sleepy mainlander for this classy Obak. Probably paid too much but I was powerless to resist. (Is there a 12 Step program for cardboard junkies?)

This was a terrific auction. Don't know when we'll see so much neat PCL stuff again.

Off to bed.

Um. Wow. Vintage cards, scantily-clad Dutch people, uku-zillion penguins, authentic Polynesian maidens, surfing Obama and more at . .
http://ImageEvent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika
Password=aloha

Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

As the others mentioned, a very rough time for the East Coasters. I went to bed at 2:00am but managed to hang on with my last bid to pick up one of the two Heilmann Zeenuts (the one without the corner chipped off). Been looking for a Heilmann RC or P-RC for five years now. I was also the underbidder on the Bancroft Zeenut & the other Heilmann Zeenut. Can't win'em all!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

How did the P.C Biscuits, Zeenuts & Obaks do overall?
There was certainly lots to choose from.
I won a couple of Obak lots & was curious if the other
lots drew strong prices.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I am absolutely ecstatic to have won this card! Roy Castleton was the first known Mormon in Major League Baseball. His story has been featured in SCD. For those Mormon collectors, I'm sure this a paramount card. A rare type in wonderful condition! This will be in my personal collection forever. My thanks to Yeakley Brothers for their research.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Jay-

I can't speak for the Obaks or Zeenuts as I wasn't really paying attention to them, but I was surprised at how well the D310's did with that many for sale at once. I would have thought it could have been another E107 type syndrome where to many at once would have flooded the market and reduced prices..but that didn't really happen. It will be interesting to see now if one collector took in the majority of these and will store them away or if they were mostly bought with the result being we'll see these recycling now on ebay for the foreseeable future.

Off to the game..til later.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

By the way, I went to bed at midnight and am surprised my high bid was not even raised. However, there has to be a better way to end auctions. I know auctioneers are a bit freaked out by the 30 minute rule. However, I've seen first hand how wildly popular it is with collectors and I haven't heard of too much concern from consignors. There has to be a better way than the 15-minute-per-lot-will-last-into-eternity-so-hold-on-to-your-seat-or-stay-up-all-night-and-be-completely-ineffective-the-next-day--if-you-are-an-east-coaster model.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

David Mac -
That Weaver is just sick. Congrat's.
Love it......

Tony A.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

3 of the last group of 1911 Zeenuts I need fell to me last night. I thought 1911 Zeenut prices were very strong. Several lots which were comprised of "commons" went for well beyond what I had projected.
Thanks to Brian M. and Peter T. for helping keep me sane through all the rugged bidding on the Zs and also kudos to Seth for a well run auction with no "phantom" bids driving up your max late. It will be a long, long time before we see another pre-war PCL auction like this one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I got 2 lower end Z's with coupons I needed...Nice PCL auction from a new to the hobby collection. There is still a lot of stuff out there to be found, imo....I put in max bids and went and played HOlD'em with some friends. I got back at 1am and the auction was still going. I went to bed and still won my 2 little lots. Very happy. Good job Seth!!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Major props to Seth on this auction. You very rarely see any of this stuff available in house auctions and Seth had such an awesome group put together that he was able to base an entire auction around it. Very well done and this was a terrific event for sure.

I was luckily able to "ninja" a few cards away from the herd. I'm thrilled to add the Halla to my collection and the McCarl complements that well. I think I won 5 Zeenut lots in all.

Pretty impressive prices on the Zeenuts. The steal may have been the z11 lot with Lewis in it. The d310s did pretty well I thought but I could have seen them go higher as nice as they were. The HRKs went lower than I figured but so many things went for really strong prices too.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I was high bidder on the Heilmann until the overtime, then got blown out. Nice pick Phil!

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I thought I won the three Portland Home Run Kisses, but some After Midnight Mother pulled the trigger one more time.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

David McD, I was wondering who was bidding on that 1911 Obak Weaver at 3:30am EST. And here I thought I had a time advantage in auctions being on the West Coast.

Also, picked up a couple 1910 150's. The "Just Right" is generally considered the scarcest back, but from my experience the "Mais Paper Wrapper" proved to be much tougher. Finally landed one.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

As the proud owner of a 1913 Zeenut Heilmann, I was very happy to see the prices that 19th Century Only got for theirs!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

If the winner of the 1911 or 1913 Zeenut lots that contained a Lindsay would like to sell or trade it, please contact me.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

if the winner of the 1912 zeenut lot that contained the Frank Arellanes card is willing to let it go plz contact me. thx

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sam

I lost all the Colgan's I bid on, but congrats to all! The Weaver and the Heilmann are great looking cards.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I bid on several and came away with one D310 for my type collection so I'm happy! Great job in unearthing these Seth!

Ricky Y

Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Here's a link to the guy who put together all the cards. Wild story and be sure and notice his hair for a 30 year old

http://www.19thcenturyonly.com/site/brennan.asp

Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

If by any chance a reader of this forum won lot # 112 and wants to sell off the Peckinpaugh, please email me. Thanks

Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

If anyone was lucky enough to win the lot with the Berry and Boles 1912 zeenuts, I'd be interested in purchasing both of those cards.

Patrick

Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

-I was able to pick up the 1913 Oakland Oaks cards of Gregory and Olmstead.
-Also picked up some E254 Colgans I needed for my set (I will have about 30 duplicates to trade or sell when I get them).
-Picked up several 1913 Zeenuts and 1914 Zeenuts, I will have the following Zeenuts available for sale or trade for a 1912-1915 Zeenuts I still need.

Available (dupes):
1913's--Ody Abbott, Alex Arlett, Walter Schmidt, Louis Sepulveda (possibly spoken for), Tubby Spencer, Del Howard (SF), Bill Leard (the wierd dancing pose)
1914's--Cartwright (Horizontal--lower grade though), Ben Henderson, Harry Hughes.

Let me know if you can use any of these and we can get a trade going.
-Rhett