NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default If you could choose 1 unopened box to buy, which would it be?

Modern cards only...any price, any box...which would you choose and why?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Scott Ti3k

I would go with 1982 Topps Baseball simply for pure nostalgia.

The end of 1981 baseball season was when I first really got into baseball and by that time most of local stores had sold through their Topps Baseball and only had Football wax packs (which I did buy and was lucky enough to pull a Montana RC, but this then 9 year old football fan was more interested in cards of Terry Bradshaw & Jim Hart so the Montana didn't mean a lot to me at the time.) Moving on though.. Summer of 1982 and my beloved Cardinals are having a hell of a year.. Ozzie Smith, Lonnie Smith, Tommy Herr, Keith Hernandez, "Silent" George Hendrick and rookie call up by the name of Willie McGee had me hooked!! I spent all my allowance buying wax packs from Art's Drug Store, Ben Franklin & Majik Market. Ok so maybe a few quarters found there way into the Donkey Kong machine at Majik Market...Then I discovered rack packs at our local Kroger! I was pretty disappointed to find Ozzie Smith still in his Padres uniform and no Willie McGee cards at all!! What's worse than that? It seemed like I pulled a John Henry Johnson card out of every other pack. I HATED THAT CARD!!

So for no other reason than nostalgia and pure hobby innocence (didn't know what a price guide was and we would not get our first card shop until 1986) I would choose 1982 Topps Baseball.

Last edited by cardsfan73; 02-09-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

1984 donruss, always too expensive to buy as a kid in the late 80s.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 PM
J Ryan
Banned

2001 Topps

I got a box of 2001 Topps for Christmas when I was 10, I opened every pack and my little brother wanted a pack so I gave him a pack. He pulled a Pujols RC.
He still has it lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Matthew

It'd have to be 89 Upper Deck for The Griffey, the iconic card of my generation as a youngster.

Honorable mention to 2015 Topps. I'm too much of a cheapskate to do it, but it'd be fun to see new cards and see what special inserts I'd pull. I'm fascinated by all the creative relics, autos and the like, but I wouldn't know where to start
Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

1986T Football. Wax, cello, or rack. Nostalgia.

1990 Leaf (I or II) and 1989 Upper Deck (I) are close behind.

That was a great era to be a kid who loved cardboard.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Rob Anderson

1980 Topps Baseball. First year I collected. I rode my bike 5 miles each way all the time to pick up these packs. Sometimes more than once in a day.

I would also like to have a Henderson RC in better than a PSA 9.

Better save up.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:49 PM

1986 Fleer Basketball. Lot of great rookie cards

Last edited by MacDice; 02-10-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Default 2001 Topps Heritage

One of my favorite Topps sets . Would love to bust a box again . I busted 2 when they first came out . Haven't completed the set after all these years4or 5 high numbers left . One of these days .... Brett
Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 AM

1987 Topps.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carota View Post
1987 Topps.
+1 on '87 Topps, an all-time fav, and my 1st year collecting.

Curious, what's up with the Burks obsession?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Joe

Great thread! I am struggling with this right now. I am considering buying some wax from when I was a kid (80s). I remember 84 to 86 Donruss and fleer being hot and hard to find. I always got topps but it was always the third place set. 89 upper deck was awesome, but as a kid, $1.00 was expensive in 89. I started buying cards in 83 when I was 8. Any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Arthur R!ch

I'd get whichever set was the first one you went bananas on as a kid. It's all about nostalgia and you were lucky enough to be born at a time when you can get that feeling for next to nothing.

Some of the crusty old farts on here have no opportunity to rip a box from their childhood. They're just so... old.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Bill Gregory

Good topic, Gary. /thumbs up.

I have two different answers. From a purely financial perspective, I'd probably look at 2009 Bowman Draft. I already have a Mike Trout Bowman Chrome base auto that I bought for $99 way back when. I'd love to get another to sell, or trade for something nice. And if you're looking at consolation prizes, I have a feeling the Zack Wheeler Chrome auto cards (which I also already have one of) are going to go up in value. The kid is a stud!

Sentimental? I've got to go with the 1989 Upper Deck, too. Series 1 (better chance to get Griffey Jr). I had to buy this card, as I never pulled one from a pack. I'd love the chance to do that even if it wasn't perfect.

I'm going to break down and buy a BGS 9.5 before he goes into the Hall, and sell the one I have now. I should get $40 for it. Or maybe I'll give it to my adopted niece, Jocalyn. She's a little softball phenom.

If I couldn't get ahold of either of those two boxes, I'd say 1983 Topps. Gwynn, Boggs and Sandberg. Pretty hard to say no to those. Plus, the Robin Yount card is one of my favorites from his master set. It shows his MVP season stats. I don't have it graded yet. I need to rectify that.

Hey, a man can never have too many great cards!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew80 View Post
+1 on '87 Topps, an all-time fav, and my 1st year collecting.

Curious, what's up with the Burks obsession?
Matthew, I have about 4,000 1987 Topps. I just loved that set. The return of the Topps Rookie Team with the trophy cards was awesome. Of course, being a Brewers fan, it figures that the one rookie on the team without the trophy, shortstop Dale Sveum, would come from Milwaukee, lol. I saw his three home run game. He just missed hitting 4. That was his only real power season. He's a good hitting coach, though.

But what a rookie team, huh? Jose Canseco, Wally Joyner, Danny Tartabull, Cory Snyder, Pete Incaviglia. There was some real thunder in that team. I think that was the first regular series card for Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, too. Then there was the Bo Jackson card, and the Rafael Palmeiro. Great set. I ought to build that one. Put together a real mint set.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
1980 Topps Baseball. First year I collected. I rode my bike 5 miles each way all the time to pick up these packs. Sometimes more than once in a day.

I would also like to have a Henderson RC in better than a PSA 9.

Better save up.
Yikes, you must be a huge Henderson fan then. A PSA 9 goes for about, what, $400? I guess it's like me with my '75 Yount, though a PSA 9 for Yount is super expensive. PWCC just sold one for $1,093.

Edit, nevermind, that was the price for the mini. The standard size PSA 9 was $1,210.99. Just my luck, my favorite player happens to come in '75, so I need a standard and mini. Grr.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-16-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Good topic, Gary. /thumbs up.

I have two different answers. From a purely financial perspective, I'd probably look at 2009 Bowman Draft. I already have a Mike Trout Bowman Chrome base auto that I bought for $99 way back when. I'd love to get another to sell, or trade for something nice. And if you're looking at consolation prizes, I have a feeling the Zack Wheeler Chrome auto cards (which I also already have one of) are going to go up in value. The kid is a stud!

Sentimental? I've got to go with the 1989 Upper Deck, too. Series 1 (better chance to get Griffey Jr). I had to buy this card, as I never pulled one from a pack. I'd love the chance to do that even if it wasn't perfect.

I'm going to break down and buy a BGS 9.5 before he goes into the Hall, and sell the one I have now. I should get $40 for it. Or maybe I'll give it to my adopted niece, Jocalyn. She's a little softball phenom.

If I couldn't get ahold of either of those two boxes, I'd say 1983 Topps. Gwynn, Boggs and Sandberg. Pretty hard to say no to those. Plus, the Robin Yount card is one of my favorites from his master set. It shows his MVP season stats. I don't have it graded yet. I need to rectify that.

Hey, a man can never have too many great cards!
I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a case of 89 UD low numbers from Steve at BBCE. I have opened 6 boxes so far. Believe it or not, my very first pack from my very first box had a Griffey Jr!

The last box I opened had 5 of them. Centering is pretty good on them too. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by shayne54; 02-16-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:28 AM
Bill Gregory

5 Juniors in one box? Wow, I've never had that luck with any box before. Nicely done!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:

But what a rookie team, huh? Jose Canseco, Wally Joyner, Danny Tartabull, Cory Snyder, Pete Incaviglia. There was some real thunder in that team. I think that was the first regular series card for Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, too. Then there was the Bo Jackson card, and the Rafael Palmeiro. Great set. I ought to build that one. Put together a real mint set.
Don't forget the immortal Oddibe (Young Again) McDowell!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Arthur R!ch

The 5 Juniors is pretty impressive. I ripped a box of 85 Leaf once and got 5 Clemens, and 1 was showing on the back of a pack so I left that sealed up.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 02-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Will Clark, too. I can still picture all the Gold Cup and Future Stars cards. Didn't Todd Worrell almost win a ROY award for his closing duties?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Pete Sycks

Always loved '86 Donruss to see if I could get the Canseco rookie. I picked up a '90 Leaf series 2 box last year and got a couple Thomas rookies, that was a dream card for me as a kiddo. That's amazing on getting 5 Griffey's in your '89 UD box.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Tony Quinn

2006 Topps Sterling or the new one from Topps this year (can't remember the name) that is $500 a pack. Who wouldn't love to bust something they totally can't afford!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Scott Ti3k

The members of the 1986 Topps All-Star Rookie Team:

C Andy Allanson Cleveland Indians
1B Wally Joyner California Angels
2B Robby Thompson San Francisco Giants
3B Dale Sveum Milwaukee Brewers
SS Andres Thomas Atlanta Braves
OF Cory Snyder Cleveland Indians
Danny Tartabull Seattle Mariners
Jose Canseco Oakland Athletics
Pete Incaviglia Texas Rangers
RHP Todd Worrell St. Louis Cardinals
LHP Bruce Ruffin Philadelphia Phillies

I remember thinking at the time how many of these guys would go on to be all time greats!!

Last edited by cardsfan73; 02-17-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM

1952 Topps, just for the possibility of pulling an iconic card...Mantle, Mays, etc.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 AM
mike g

Default 1993 sp

mine would have to be 1993 SP baseball, with the jeter rookie.
sad thing is i bought a collection that had 2 sealed boxes of sp in it, held it for a few years. then last year when jeter took his retirement tour i figured id toss them on ebay with a super high BIN. both ended up selling over $600 a piece.
i wish i had thew guts to rip one, but the chances of getting 600 worth out of a box are pretty slim.

thats my choice thoug, 1993 sp baseball.

sidenote, 1989 UD was my favortie rip so far. got to rip 1 last year. only landed 1 griffey but it graded out mint so that was cool
Old 02-19-2015, 05:27 PM

I opened (2) more boxes of 89 UD on Tuesday. I got (5) more Griffey's out of the first box! The second box yielded only (1) that was horribly off centered. Talk about luck though, (2) boxes in a row that had (5) Griffey's in each.

I told me friend that was opening them with me that if we got (5) in the second box we opened that day that we would keep opening the rest of the case until we stopped getting that many per box.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Bummer nobody chose 1988 Score! I still have a box sitting around somewhere. C'mon
...you know you want to feel the rush of pulling a Gregg Jefferies RC!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Arthur R!ch

I think 1988 Score might have the best photography of any set from the 1980s. I plan on doing a graded set someday.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 PM
D@vid L@dd

Me and a buddy split a case of 89 Upper Deck when it first came out...I got 10 Griffey's in my 6 boxes, he got 1! But I remember him getting about 15 Walt Weiss'! The collation was atrocious!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Speaking of bad collation, weren't there Upper Deck execs who got 15 Griffeys in every pack?

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Russ

You will do well with a wax box of 1987 Leaf. I love the black borders. Of course they look identical to the 87 Donruss but simply say Leaf instead.

The catch is the Leaf set only had 264 cards compared to the Donruss set having over 600. Leaf simply didn't print the extra 350 commons that no one really cares about. This means your odds of pulling multiple Maddux, Bonds, McGwire, Palmero, Clark, McGriff, Bo, Larkin, etc are very high. I cracked a couple of wax boxes of them last year and got a minimum of 3 of each per box.

Last edited by Hammerin'Hank; 02-26-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Default '91 Topps DS

From this era of cards, for me, it would have to be a full box of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards. Unopened packs are getting scarce.....and boxes are even more scarce as well.

Z Wheat
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
From this era of cards, for me, it would have to be a full box of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards. Unopened packs are getting scarce.....and boxes are even more scarce as well.

Z Wheat
How do you tell if a pack or a box is Desert Shield?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I don't think you can.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Default 1991 Desert Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Daryl,

You can't tell with certainty, but you can increase the odds substantially. Almost all DS cards will have a glow back per previous N54 threads. I can find these for you if you are having difficulty with the Search function....it is quirky sometimes. If you shine a black light on the back of the cards, you can see the "glowing" border through the packaging.

This same topic was just covered on CU and someone indicated you could tell with a stud finder. I haven't tried it yet but others said it worked.

Z Wheat