NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Scott

Default What do you guys think?

I got this piece a while back, and I LOVE IT. Its a RECEIPT for Christy Mathewson rations. I showed it to Dave presale shop on here, and to a couple friends and they are of mixed opinions as to whether the "Christ. Mathewson" on here was originally written in Matty's hand?

To me, Id say no, but some of the letter formation resembles. For comparison, my items vs the Matty check just sold in REA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mattyck.jpg (63.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg voucher.jpg (72.3 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by GrayGhost; 05-13-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Wouldn't the receipt be more likely to be the writing of Harlow Young?

I cannot recall ever filling out my own receipt and then have someone else sign it.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-13-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Anthony

even if not Mattys sig I still think its a cool item connected to him.
2013 Topps Autograph Set: 84/660 12.72% Complete
2014 Topps Heritage W/SP's: 393/500 78.6% Complete
Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As an educated layperson I would say no.....but I am not on the same level as regular autograph collectors in deeming authenticity...
Old 05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Wouldn't the receipt be more likely to be the writing of Harlow Young?

I cannot recall ever filling out my own receipt and then have someone else sign it.
That makes sense sir. Its just curious they seem pretty similar, esp if u compare Harlow young's signature down below, as to say the letter formation, and they don't match up too well.

Yeah, I love the item, one of the coolest things I have
Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert. Just wanted to note that the distinctive C that he uses was more common in his time than it is now. Even Cy Young's C is a similar C. I think it was probably how everyone was taught to write then.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I got this piece a while back, and I LOVE IT. Its a RECEIPT for Christy Mathewson rations. I showed it to Dave presale shop on here, and to a couple friends and they are of mixed opinions as to whether the "Christ. Mathewson" on here was originally written in Matty's hand?

To me, Id say no, but some of the letter formation resembles. For comparison, my items vs the Matty check just sold in REA
No, I don't believe this to be his signature... Very neat items nonetheless. Keep in mind, people took a lot of pride in their handwriting back then and it is was a skill that was concentrated on during school (Reading, Writing, Arithmetic) and generally taught the same way... Therefore, handwriting didn't have a great variance back then from person-to-person because of this.

Like I said, neat item though!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Scott

Thanks for e'thing guys. Net54 comes through again!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
No, I don't believe this to be his signature... Very neat items nonetheless. Keep in mind, people took a lot of pride in their handwriting back then and it is was a skill that was concentrated on during school (Reading, Writing, Arithmetic) and generally taught the same way... Therefore, handwriting didn't have a great variance back then from person-to-person because of this.

Like I said, neat item though!
100% correct. I don't even write in cursive anymore except when signing my name. I don't think I have in 10 years or so. Prob don't even remember how to. Not to long about I was looking at my grandfathers old autograph book from when he was in high school and it was amazing what handwriting these 18 year olds had in 1939. We are in a different world today
2013 Topps Autograph Set: 84/660 12.72% Complete
2014 Topps Heritage W/SP's: 393/500 78.6% Complete
Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Alex

Looking at the "son" portion of the names they appear to be different. On the signed check they are connected but on the ration portion there is a space between the s and o.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Jim M.arinari

Authentic. Unless:
A) Harlow Young filled out the check for Matty, or
B) Matty filled out everything on the receipt except his name.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Authentic. Unless:
A) Harlow Young filled out the check for Matty, or
B) Matty filled out everything on the receipt except his name.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post

Compare the other writing on the check to that of the receipt. Consider the situations in which both were written and the difference in age. (Edit: Also the size of the medium. I assume the receipt is about 1/2 the size of the check, no?) If the signatures were not there, would you not consider them to be in the same hand? If so, whose hand would it be other than Matty?

Last edited by Deertick; 05-13-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM

It's a receipt though. I've never filled out a receipt for something. It is always provided by the vendor.

In other words, the receipt is showing that the Army received money from Mathewson. The Army would fill the receipt saying it received X amount from Person Y. And Person Y would retain that receipt as proof that he had submitted the funds.

At least that seems like the most likely scenario to me.

Last edited by packs; 05-13-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Christy Mathewson has a very unique s in Mathewson. Go look at any authentic Mathewson. This is not his signature.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Richard Simon

Matt is correct, that is not Mathewson's sig.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Scott

thank you all for your input. Just wanted to be sure. Im old and feeble and needed my eyes to be verified
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Jim M.arinari

From a military document a year prior. Not so unique as others. There is a subtle but distinct difference between filling in your name and signing something. IMO.
Although I agree that it would not be common for someone to fill out his own receipt, it is not impossible. I am using the logic that if he filled out other portions, that combined with the overall similarity of his signature leans toward it being in his hand.

Looking at handwritten letters, the similarities and tendencies are very similar to the other portions of this document. This is where I formed my opinion. The word that may have be most useful is "seventy" if anyone cares to research.
FWIW, I went into this looking to prove it wasn't Matty. I took the same approach when Shale posted an A's lineup card that turns out was filled in by Jimmie Foxx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg christy-mathewson-signed-military-id-3.jpg (36.5 KB, 60 views)