NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Through all this the PWCC banner ad remains up.
I'm actually amused by that. I sincerely hope it is generating some revenue for Leon, helping this website remain up and financially viable, so the misdeeds of PWCC can be freely discussed and communicated with all - site members as well as other folks just dropping in to see what's going on. I hope Leon leaves it up there.

In fact, I'd like to see PWCC buy some ad space over at blowout, too. That's another site that should be supported by advertisers.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I'm actually amused by that. I sincerely hope it is generating some revenue for Leon, helping this website remain up and financially viable, so the misdeeds of PWCC can be freely discussed and communicated with all - site members as well as other folks just dropping in to see what's going on. I hope Leon leaves it up there.

In fact, I'd like to see PWCC buy some ad space over at blowout, too. That's another site that should be supported by advertisers.
Interesting take on it, personally I find it troublesome that the site continues to affiliate with such a person. Ii believe other sites have taken down his ads. I guess I don't have your appreciation for irony, although I get it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-04-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Neither PSA nor PWCC will voluntarily do anything to hurt their bottom line or that looks like an admission of guilt.

The only way that happens is by direction from a court of law.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-04-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 AM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Neither PSA nor PWCC will voluntarily do anything to hurt their bottom line or that looks like an admission of guilt.

The only way that happens is by direction from a court of law.

It looks to me like PSA is now the puppet master and Brent is the puppet. PSA’s submission records, when combined with Pwcc’s records and eBay records would probably be sufficient to cause Brent a lot of problems. If he doesn’t play ball then he is toast.

PSA’s statement looks like it was carefully designed to make Brent clean up the mess for any card that came through their operation that can be demonstrated to be “conserved”. For the rest that cannot be proven the review guarantee may be used, but I’d bet that very few of any such reviews will result in cards being deemed “conserved”.

The same thing happened a few years ago with the “late model” vintage cellos that made it into slabs. Only the ones that could be proven to be illegitimate were dinged. The rest are still circulating the hobby and unless you have the submission flip number ranges you would never know they were phonies.

Last edited by 70ToppsFanatic; 06-05-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
It looks to me like PSA is now the puppet master and Brent is the puppet. PSA’s submission records, when combined with Pwcc’s records and eBay records would probably be sufficient to cause Brent a lot of problems. If he doesn’t play ball then he is toast.

PSA’s statement looks like it was carefully designed to make Brent clean up the mess for any card that came through their operation that can be demonstrated to be “conserved”. For the rest that cannot be proven the review guarantee may be used, but I’d bet that very few of any such reviews will result in cards being deemed “conserved”.

The same thing happened a few years ago with the “late model” vintage cellos that made it into slabs. Only the ones that could be proven to be illegitimate were dinged. The rest are still circulating the hobby and unless you have the submission flip number ranges you would never know they were phonies.
The other issue as I see it is that without some proactive identification of WHICH cards are suspect, most collectors will have no idea. Sure a small percentage will be outed on message boards but what about all the rest?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The other issue as I see it is that without some proactive identification of WHICH cards are suspect, most collectors will have no idea. Sure a small percentage will be outed on message boards but what about all the rest?
Based on what has happened in the past with similar situations, e.g. the bogus cellos that were slabbed a few years back, I think it likely that THIS is exactly what their strategy is.

For any non-outed item that might get submitted for a guarantee review I think they are well aware that as long as they do legitimate reviews and act on a card-by-card basis if they find problems then they will not risk becoming party to perpetuating a fraud.

What they are probably counting on is that most people with non-outed items will probably not realize it or will not go to the trouble of requesting guarantee reviews.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
Based on what has happened in the past with similar situations, e.g. the bogus cellos that were slabbed a few years back, I think it likely that THIS is exactly what their strategy is.

For any non-outed item that might get submitted for a guarantee review I think they are well aware that as long as they do legitimate reviews and act on a card-by-card basis if they find problems then they will not risk becoming party to perpetuating a fraud.

What they are probably counting on is that most people with non-outed items will probably not realize it or will not go to the trouble of requesting guarantee reviews.
I am also guessing anyone without clear before and after evidence is facing an uphill battle on a review.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Interesting take on it, personally I find it troublesome that the site continues to affiliate with such a person. Ii believe other sites have taken down his ads. I guess I don't have your appreciation for irony, although I get it.
PWCC is paying this site to expose their own wrongdoings. What is wrong with letting them do so?

Nobody is going to come here, see what's going on, and then say, "Oh, never mind all those discussions about altered cards, I think I'll do business with PWCC because they have that cute ad...
Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
PWCC is paying this site to expose their own wrongdoings. What is wrong with letting them do so?

Nobody is going to come here, see what's going on, and then say, "Oh, never mind all those discussions about altered cards, I think I'll do business with PWCC because they have that cute ad...
For me it's more the principle of the thing,

Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Wait, what? There are principles involved? Who? Where? What are they?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
My position is equally principled. You see my point and I see yours, and we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

As an aside, Gary changed his ebay ID and was instantly outed.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=553

Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Exactly. I think that by allowing an entity to purchase and maintain a banner ad the board is implicitly endorsing their business practices.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think that by allowing an entity to purchase and maintain a banner ad the board is implicitly endorsing their business practices.
+1

It definitely bothers me that our threads drive traffic to the PWCC website, and they have for some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AdvertisingNet54.jpg (22.0 KB, 363 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the moment it is staying up. This board, nor I, endorse fraud. No one is forcing anyone to post or be here. Last I checked you can leave if you don't like it. This is a very fluid situation and their banner might come down, might not. I will make that decision when the time is right. Today, tomorrow or never.

I am bothered by a lot of things, like you not having your name next to your posts when you know darn well know it should be. Just like Jay Miller (Old Judge) who commented above, his name needs to be out here too. I have had discussions about these same violations with both of you more than once. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
+1

It definitely bothers me that our threads drive traffic to the PWCC website, and they have for some time.

Last edited by Leon; 06-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Me too.... but it's Leon's site and Leon is being Leon. He stood up for Mastro until he went to jail as well. He is a good friend until the end. That's admirable despite ALL the evidence. He can have Jack the Ripper's ad's up for all I care. I don't even see it.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Me too.... but it's Leon's site and Leon is being Leon. He stood up for Mastro until he went to jail as well. He is a good friend until the end. That's admirable despite ALL the evidence. He can have Jack the Ripper's ad's up for all I care. I don't even see it.

I agree that Leon can do what ever he wants on his site, not that I have a say as it is Leon's site.

Last edited by joshuanip; 06-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

By your posts everyone and their brother can tell what kind of person you are. You do a great job in that respect. With respect to Mastro, I dare you to ever find one instance when I said he was innocent (without saying until proven guilty or something to that effect). That is a fallacy carried forward by El Chapo's lawyer. BTW, I also wrote a letter to the judge on the matter and it was not flattering to Mastro.

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 06-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
By your posts everyone and their brother can tell what kind of person you are. You do a great job in that respect. With respect to Mastro, I dare you to ever find one instance when I said he was innocent (without saying until proven guilty or something to that effect). That is a fallacy carried forward by El Chapo's lawyer. BTW, I also wrote a letter to the judge on the matter and it was not flattering to Mastro.
LOL, maybe a bit too passionate but otherwise just hate scammers in all areas of my life. The list is growing but not limited to cards. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I must have somewhat misremembered. All the best!

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
LOL, maybe a bit too passionate but otherwise just hate scammers in all areas of my life. The list is growing but not limited to cards. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I must have somewhat misremembered. All the best!
From your diplomatic posts I never would have guessed how you felt.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
From your diplomatic posts I never would have guessed how you felt.
I always try and straddle the issue...
Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Sam Lemoine

Busiest person at PSA right now? The guy going in and lowering all of the SMR values so if they have to pay out it won't cost much.

"Oh, PSA 7 1960 Yaz rookie? I think the SMR reflects that to be $15. We honor our guarantee. Just send it in and we will send you the $15."
Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Dave Johnson

I wonder if this was looked into by the media a little deeper if that would bring some of this to the attention to the broader public that would force some hands......perhaps an ESPN Outside the Lines special, or something similar...…
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Brad Sherlag

I wonder if PSA has asked to contact the seller because PWCC has already agreed to refund purchases in exchange for not being banned from future submissions and not falling out of PSA’s good graces (i.e PSA promoting their record sales price on card X).
Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfcollector View Post
I wonder if this was looked into by the media a little deeper if that would bring some of this to the attention to the broader public that would force some hands......perhaps an ESPN Outside the Lines special, or something similar...…
Stay tuned, there will be press coverage soon as I understand it.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfcollector View Post
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions