NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Default PM1 pin or something else?

Below are some photos of a Lajoie pin I bought on eBay recently. It arrived today and looks even nicer than the scans suggest. The photos are taken from the eBay listing.

Something that has me puzzled is the size. All of the PM1 ornate pins I've seen, which isn't that many because I don't collect them, are roughly 1 inch x 1 inch. This one measures closer to a half-inch by 3/4 of an inch. Granted this isn't an "ornate" frame, but I assumed (as did the seller) that even with the plain frame it is from the same series. Now I'm not so sure. Also, the fact that this one has a stick pin made me pause.

The small size actually might be a blessing because the imperfections that seem to stand out in the scans aren't as noticeable when you're holding the pin.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Rob, how certain are you that the item is legit? It wouldn't be too hard to use an old stick pin (a couple of dollars) and put in a recently made photocopy.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Rob, how certain are you that the item is legit? It wouldn't be too hard to use an old stick pin (a couple of dollars) and put in a recently made photocopy.
That's a valid question, Dan. The paper passes the black-light test. I gave the edges (what I could see) of the paper a close look under magnification, and they appear to be machine-cut (not hand-cut). I would think because of the oval shape -- as opposed to straight edges of a card -- a hand-cut would be more noticeable. There is no dot matrix pattern on the image, which I take as a good sign.

I know that wear is among the most common things to fake, but the fact that there seems to be different kind of wear (a small dent/abrasion in one area, a faint stain in another, one or two dark spots in another) make me think it's legit. Still, yours is a valid point.

Edited to add: The paper that the image has a glossy look to it. Judging the best I can and going by the abrasion, the paper appears to be of somewhat heavy stock -- at least heavier than a card.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-09-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Dan Bretta

No dots and passing a black light test are all good signs as you said. I recognize the seller ID and I'm pretty sure it is someone I've dealt with before with no problems.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great pin

Great pin. I don't think it's a PM1 but just another cool pin. I was the underbidder.....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
ThreadKiller

Default WTFIzzit?????

that is a great pin, and this post prompted me to dig the one shown below out of a display case.....it was purchased in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

it's a 7 inch stick pin with a 1-inch gold ball with a paper ballplayer shellacked(?) to it.....the name "ONeil" or "O'Neill" is below the player.....
whether it's legit or a bogus / fantasy piece, I have no clue.

below are two angles - I am aware that the scans are crappy, but a flatbed scanner and a non-flat item are not exactly a winning combo.

DS

Attached Images
File Type: jpg StickPin01200.jpg (40.5 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg StickPin02200.jpg (44.1 KB, 291 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Tom Boblitt

Legit and a PM1 variant. I think Jim Sexton has some of these and can probably comment further. I've seen them before usually in much worse condition. Congrats.....what'd the bad boy set you back?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Legit and a PM1 variant. I think Jim Sexton has some of these and can probably comment further. I've seen them before usually in much worse condition. Congrats.....what'd the bad boy set you back?
Here's a link to the auction, with all of the particulars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Tom Boblitt

I would disagree with his characterization of 'unknown to the hobby'. I've seen pictures of them before. I checked Legendary and REA back auctions but didn't see anything. I'm about 99.9% sure Jim Sexton was the one who told me he had some. There's always that .1% though. I was aware of the stickpins. I had about 20+ PM1's at one point. I had 6-8 presidents and the rest BB. They are LONG gone though.....
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Rob,

I was wondering if it was you that had won that pin. I also think it is legit. The only other player I have seen from that series was Cobb (had the same image as the ornate pin, like the Lajoie). A dealer had one about 15 years ago at the old Ft. Washington show. I think he was asking around $1000 at the time. Congrats on a nice pick-up...you have to PM a link to your collection as I'd love to see what you've added.

Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
I am certainly no PM1 expert and will defer to others that know more than I do. The stickpin is what threw me..... IS there some place that catalogued these as PM1's? Just curious......
Old 02-11-2015, 04:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same style Joe Tinker Stick Pin is pictured here....

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/wp-cont...inker-back.jpg
Old 02-11-2015, 04:42 PM

A few of the PM-1 pins have also appeared as stickpins. Not sure as to how many.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Kevin O'Gara

would that be considered a hat pin
Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM

Back at that time in history it was fashionable for men to wear a stickpin just above the breast pocket of a suit jacket, in much the same way today that politicians wear an American flag pin
Old 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Original! I talked to Bob McCann about the same stickpin years ago pre-eBay in SCD auction.

Albert