NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Default Post your Experience - Built a set, sold it, trying to rebuild

Just wanted to see if anyone else has been in this boat and has any tips, thoughts, experiences to share.

I spent a few years building a very nice 1941 Play Ball set, which at one time got up to #12 on the set Registry... I sold it to fund playing in Kevin Durant's fantasy camp. Now I miss the set and think I want to rebuild it...

Have you been in this boat? any lessons learned? did you still enjoy building it a second time?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wow. . .that seems like a lot of work. If I built a set and sold it I'm not sure I could look back and start it again.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I been in the place where I have built a 1973 Topps baseball set as it was the first set I collected as a kid but decided after I was done that I no longer wanted it and used the funds to move onto my next challenge. It was only after doing some serious reminiscing that I realized how much that 1973 set meant to me and decided to assemble it once again. So here I am working on this set for the third time in my life and enjoying the thrill of the hunt once again.

I have also built a 1955 Bowman set due to the fact that it held a sentimental meaning to me for a crazy reason. I had a classmate in third grade give me a shopping bag full of cards that were her grandfathers (or her fathers....time has taken that part of this memory away from me) and I was so excited I could not stop looking at them even though class had started. I was in a strict Lutheran school at the time and old Mrs. Bickle took the cards away from me and I never saw them again. In that shopping bag was mainly 1955 Bowman cards so I always wanted to complete that set to remove the "what if" from my mind. I assembled 95% of the set with most of the big cards and realized whatever anger I held at my teacher was now gone and I no longer wonder "what if" as I had actually owned these cards. I have since sold off the partial set and have not looked back.

For me at least, the reasoning for needing to rebuild the set after selling it off previously was mostly for sentimental reasons. I have no tips or thoughts to provide other than to say you need to follow your heart and do what you feel is best for you. That is what makes this hobby great.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I been in the place where I have built a 1973 Topps baseball set as it was the first set I collected as a kid but decided after I was done that I no longer wanted it and used the funds to move onto my next challenge. It was only after doing some serious reminiscing that I realized how much that 1973 set meant to me and decided to assemble it once again. So here I am working on this set for the third time in my life and enjoying the thrill of the hunt once again.

I have also built a 1955 Bowman set due to the fact that it held a sentimental meaning to me for a crazy reason. I had a classmate in third grade give me a shopping bag full of cards that were her grandfathers (or her fathers....time has taken that part of this memory away from me) and I was so excited I could not stop looking at them even though class had started. I was in a strict Lutheran school at the time and old Mrs. Bickle took the cards away from me and I never saw them again. In that shopping bag was mainly 1955 Bowman cards so I always wanted to complete that set to remove the "what if" from my mind. I assembled 95% of the set with most of the big cards and realized whatever anger I held at my teacher was now gone and I no longer wonder "what if" as I had actually owned these cards. I have since sold off the partial set and have not looked back.

For me at least, the reasoning for needing to rebuild the set after selling it off previously was mostly for sentimental reasons. I have no tips or thoughts to provide other than to say you need to follow your heart and do what you feel is best for you. That is what makes this hobby great.
Great advice, thank you for giving me hope...
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I think it's important to really think about what you miss. Is it owning the set, or building it. As with anything in life you do for a second time, it would be tragic not to apply what you learned the first time around. Assuming you go at it with the same gusto, you already know exactly what it will cost you in time and money. Is going through that again where the fun lies for you, or does it seem tedious? If the latter then maybe just buy a complete set, upgrade a few, and call it good.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I think it's important to really think about what you miss. Is it owning the set, or building it. As with anything in life you do for a second time, it would be tragic not to apply what you learned the first time around. Assuming you go at it with the same gusto, you already know exactly what it will cost you in time and money. Is going through that again where the fun lies for you, or does it seem tedious? If the latter then maybe just buy a complete set, upgrade a few, and call it good.
Good synopsis. For a lot of us the hunting is a lot, or most, of the fun. Once I sold my type card collection I wanted to still collect. So what did I do, start a T205 set sprinkled in with type cards. My guess is that over time the type cards win out.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've built and sold off the 1954 Topps set two times over the last 40 years. It was always my favorite 'Golden Age' Topps set. The first set was raw and assembled mostly from a few large auction lots and local shows. My #1 Williams came from Goody Goldfadden's store here in LA. I sold that one around 1987, piecemeal. The second set was mostly PSA graded and mostly 6-7. It came from card shows and was mostly self-submitted to PSA. I would sell off the 8-9 cards I got and buy slightly lesser cards with the proceeds. That set got liquidated around ten years ago. Since then I've been rebuilding with decent looking vg-ish cards, with a few better and a few signed, plus a few I still had from prior sets.

My main takeaway from the experience is that if you love the set and want to own it, you eventually end up with a set that is a sweet spot combo of cost and aesthetics, so you may as well decide what you are comfortable with and go there first. For me, I wanted a 1954 collection with decent looking cards that didn't have too much money tied up in them. They're just such beautiful cards

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-09-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:26 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

One thing I have finally learned, which took me nearly 35 years is I enjoy the hunt and build of the set. I lose interest when I near completion and usually end up selling it because I'm bored with it. So I decided to collect all Front/Back T206 combo's. There's no chance of getting near completion or getting bored with it. I've never built a set twice if I sold the first one because I remember that I didn't enjoy the first one when it was complete. I do have complete sets of cards and don't even look at them. I spend much more time looking at cards from a set I'm working on. I have 4 complete 1973 Topps sets and one sits in a binder and the other 3 are in 660 count boxes and I don't look at them. Maybe I'll build a set number 5 just because I enjoy the hunt for single cards at card shows. It reminds me of the 1980's and having fun checking cards off of a need list.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I've built and sold off the 1954 Topps set two times over the last 40 years. It was always my favorite 'Golden Age' Topps set. The first set was raw and assembled mostly from a few large auction lots and local shows. My #1 Williams came from Goody Goldfadden's store here in LA. I sold that one around 1987, piecemeal. The second set was mostly PSA graded and mostly 6-7. It came from card shows and was mostly self-submitted to PSA. I would sell off the 8-9 cards I got and buy slightly lesser cards with the proceeds. That set got liquidated around ten years ago. Since then I've been rebuilding with decent looking vg-ish cards, with a few better and a few signed, plus a few I still had from prior sets.

My main takeaway from the experience is that if you love the set and want to own it, you eventually end up with a set that is a sweet spot combo of cost and aesthetics, so you may as well decide what you are comfortable with and go there first. For me, I wanted a 1954 collection with decent looking cards that didn't have too much money tied up in them. They're just such beautiful cards

I have forgotten how beautiful that '54 Topps set is. Thank you for posting it!!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

I had a 48 Bowman set I'd put together. Not in decent shape, mostly beaters. Berra had a yellow jersey, Musial had a nice peel on the front. A couple cards were worn round as well as being waxed for flipping.

Sold it to help pay for a ski trip. I started again a few years later, but trying for nicer cards. I got to a bit over 1/4 of the way and it just sort of stalled. Money, too many other projects etc. Someday....
Old 10-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The hunt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
One thing I have finally learned, which took me nearly 35 years is I enjoy the hunt and build of the set. I lose interest when I near completion and usually end up selling it because I'm bored with it. So I decided to collect all Front/Back T206 combo's. There's no chance of getting near completion or getting bored with it. I've never built a set twice if I sold the first one because I remember that I didn't enjoy the first one when it was complete. I do have complete sets of cards and don't even look at them. I spend much more time looking at cards from a set I'm working on. I have 4 complete 1973 Topps sets and one sits in a binder and the other 3 are in 660 count boxes and I don't look at them. Maybe I'll build a set number 5 just because I enjoy the hunt for single cards at card shows. It reminds me of the 1980's and having fun checking cards off of a need list.
As often is said, the hunt is a lot of the fun for a lot of collectors. I think the hunt is probably why I stay with type cards. It is somewhat limitless. And then there is the collecting of cards we just like, which is a category I think a lot of us fall into also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinkcollins.jpg (44.5 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:39 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Different angle. I do understand the childhood nostalgia. I grew up in Hawaii and 1972 was my big year for baseball cards. I never finished the set. I often wonder was it because (a) my interest had waned and I had moved on to football or (b) the third, fourth and fifth series never made to Hawaii (I have a ton of first and second series cards). In the early '80s the failure of not completing the '72 set, brought me back to the hobby. An added bonus was my Mom never tossed out my cards. I often contemplate finishing the '72 set, but at close to 800 cards and where I am at collecting wise, I don't see it happening. Over the past few years, I have tried to concentrate more on quality as opposed to quantity of cards. Also, I don't know how I would display the entire set.

Variations and high numbers and cost aside; with the internet how hard is it to
complete a standard widely available set? To me, searching ebay is not akin to ripping open wax packs.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
Different angle. I do understand the childhood nostalgia. I grew up in Hawaii and 1972 was my big year for baseball cards. I never finished the set. I often wonder was it because (a) my interest had waned and I had moved on to football or (b) the third, fourth and fifth series never made to Hawaii (I have a ton of first and second series cards). In the early '80s the failure of not completing the '72 set, brought me back to the hobby. An added bonus was my Mom never tossed out my cards. I often contemplate finishing the '72 set, but at close to 800 cards and where I am at collecting wise, I don't see it happening. Over the past few years, I have tried to concentrate more on quality as opposed to quantity of cards. Also, I don't know how I would display the entire set.

Variations and high numbers and cost aside; with the internet how hard is it to
complete a standard widely available set? To me, searching ebay is not akin to ripping open wax packs.
Years back I went for a '52-present Topps run. Of all the things to break my spirit, it was the '72 high numbers
Old 10-13-2019, 11:08 AM
DR
David R@tliff

I probably have a good story to tell, but still need ONE card to finish my 1956 set. I'll save the story for completion of the set, but in the meantime...

Collecting interests change over time, but if you keep coming back to the same set/cards then those are obviously the ones for you. 1956 Topps is one of those for me.

My advice is this:
1 - Be patient. If you're still coming back again, you're obviously in it for the long haul.
2 - Be disciplined. Don't overspend just because of opportunity, because there will always be another opportunity to acquire the card(s).
3 - Be picky. Don't settle for something you know you won't like, regardless of price. You'll just end up replacing it later.
4 - Enjoy the process. The "goal" is obviously completion, but it is the hunt that's probably the most fun part. That and the people you find that help you out along the way.

I've been working on this set for probably 5+ years now, and I've been one card short for a number of months now. I missed one a few weeks ago, but I'm sure another will come up soon. I'm really looking forward to going through them all again when I find it. Who knows what happens after that, but I could definitely see myself building this set again.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:01 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Years back I went for a '52-present Topps run. Of all the things to break my spirit, it was the '72 high numbers
Yes, the '72 high numbers can be difficult. After re-entering the hobby and completing the '81 Topps set, I had the same dream of completing earlier sets. The explosion of cards in the late eighties, soured me on set collecting.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Doug Goodman

I built a complete run of Topps baseball releases from 1948 thru 1992 including all (non print dot) variations.

When I got to a point where the only thing that stopped me from getting the cards I was missing was the finances, I sold the entire run.

Now I aim at more esoteric stuff like the Baseball Magazine supplements (m113 & m114) which aren't completely cataloged so while the chase is most of the fun, sometimes that catch is pretty fun also (like when I found that third different Mantle variation a couple months ago).

Doug (1036 and counting) Goodman
Old 10-16-2019, 06:48 AM
Al Jurgela

Default It doesn't make a lot of sense...

But I sold a 1923-1924 Tomas Guitierrez complete set a few years ago. It was a duplicate set that I had assembled over 15 years of upgrading my primary set. I cannot believe how much I "miss" my duplicate set. It is really bizarre the attachment that one can get. I pretty much could recall where I got virtually EVERY card in the set. Crazy.

Also, I am on a quest that will likely never end with a complete set, the 1910 Punch set. I think that I am like 70% done, but like a single card comes up every year or so and most of the time I have it. Like most here, I still love the search, however.

I was never a "set guy", but these sets have provided a lot of joy and challenge, but I typically only focus on a few sets at a time or it becomes too tiring.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm with Al on the joy-challenge aspect of it. There are a few issues I chase that have virtually no cards out there and I am lucky to add one a year, but when I do add that one card it is schwing time

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...