NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Do you collect HOF players only, or include award winners?

Just curious if your Baseball HOF collections also include the Spink, O'neil or Taylor award winners. I long ago gave up the notion that I would get all of the hall of fame members, and pretty much have given up on the super high dollar members, but the award winners have interested me ever since I picked up some Frick Award members while doing specific team projects. I also like the idea of having Buck O'Neil and Rachel Robinson in my collection. Kind of a subset of the Hall, but interesting. How do the rest of you feel?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Andy H

Only collect those who were able to sign the gold hall of fame postcards.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards
Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Thought about expanding to Frick and Spink winners as they are on that podium speaking....I have some..but nowhere near as focused on them like the primary HOF......

billshofautographs.weebly.com
HOFCollector on YouTube
Old 10-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Wayne Walker

No award winners here, just players, execs, and umps. But I get why you'd expand to that subset once hitting a wall with players.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Curt

Just about anyone pictured on or affiliated with the Dodgers organization. I may not be willing to spend a lot of $ on some of the weird ones, but would gladly add them if I had the chance and the circumstance was right.

Outside of the Dodgers (and early Mariners organization), I would add any players/managers/executives of significance (award winners, All-Star team members, fan favorites, etc).

Cards are my favorite. Take one over a ball or photo any day.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I only collect those with plaques in the Gallery. That said, I will pick up an owner/manager/exec. in the Hall of Fame Honor Role that existed in the early days of the HOF, as they are eligible for the Hall and many have eventually gotten in.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Jim Smiley

Default A lot of HoFers, a little of everything

Hall of Famers are certainly a focus but I collect other interesting or important baseball figures too. My website, CooperstownExpert.com has a page for every HoFer and 264 pages of guys not in the Hall.

Some of the non Hall of Famers are "maybe someday" guys like Dick Allen or Gil Hodges. Others aren't in yet like Derek Jeter, and CC Sabathia. Then of course there are guys of interest like Herb Score and Bill Buckner.

It's nice finally having a website that's sortable. Otherwise it's tougher to enjoy the collection.

Funny you mention Spink. There's every a page for him and even the founder of the Elias Statistical Bureau, Al Munro Elias.

All that said, guys like Babe Ruth and guys like Jackie Robinson and Stan Musial are more the bread and butter of the collection.

This forum and Facebook sure help connect us too. I'm really grateful to share thoughts with so many knowledgeable people who love the game.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:11 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

I see a lot of collectors who go after only the HOF guys and I see some who go after the frick/spink guys and some who go after both. The frick/spink guys can be very difficult especially from years ago and guys who passed shortly after winning the award. It’s definitely a challenging task.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperstownExpert View Post
Hall of Famers are certainly a focus but I collect other interesting or important baseball figures too. My website, CooperstownExpert.com has a page for every HoFer and 264 pages of guys not in the Hall.

Some of the non Hall of Famers are "maybe someday" guys like Dick Allen or Gil Hodges. Others aren't in yet like Derek Jeter, and CC Sabathia. Then of course there are guys of interest like Herb Score and Bill Buckner.

It's nice finally having a website that's sortable. Otherwise it's tougher to enjoy the collection.

Funny you mention Spink. There's every a page for him and even the founder of the Elias Statistical Bureau, Al Munro Elias.

All that said, guys like Babe Ruth and guys like Jackie Robinson and Stan Musial are more the bread and butter of the collection.

This forum and Facebook sure help connect us too. I'm really grateful to share thoughts with so many knowledgeable people who love the game.
Jim, your website is fantastic. I've tried real hard to go through it very slowly, but it's kinda like Disneyland...you want to try to get to as many rides as possible. LOL. It's also nice to see another SoCal member on here. I grew up in Alhambra, just a stones throw away from La Crescenta, and then moved the San Diego area, so I'm guessing we spent a lot of time in the 80's and 90's at the same card shows and other events. Darn I miss those days when SoCal actually had some major shows. Oh well.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Tim Odeen

If I am collecting autographs other than the Cincinnati Reds, I only pursue Hall of Famers.

If I am looking at Cincinnati Reds players, I purchase MVP players, All-Star starters, 20 game winners, No-Hitter and Perfect Game pitchers, HR leaders, batting average leaders, and random accomplishments (like Todd Frazier winning the home run derby). I also specifically pursue the 1935-1942 Cincinnati Reds, and I buy whatever I think is cool.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-11-2019, 05:11 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
No award winners here, just players, execs, and umps. But I get why you'd expand to that subset once hitting a wall with players.
Agreed. When I started the entire focus were those elected to HOF. Within a few years, I was down to the holy grail (at the time - Williams, Mantle and DiMaggio). I decided to expand to award winners (MVP, CY, ROY) and unique feats (Vander Meer). I don't think I would have a Spink or Frick award winner sign a piece with only HOF signatures, but I would not have a problem getting an individual item signed.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 AM
Sam Lemoine

I collect "players of significance". If a player is a multiple time all star or ever led the league in a major statistical category (traditional ones, not new stuff we come up with each year) then I feel good about adding that guy. I can't collect baseball (or any sport) and avoid guys like Garvey, Murphy, Hernandez, Mattingly, Bonds, etc. because their careers weren't given a HOF designation. I grew up in the 70's. How can I collect just HOFers and avoid players like Fred Lynn, George Foster, and Boog Powell?