NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Default PSA holders

I have a card in a PSA holder. It looks like inside the holder, there is a plastic sleeve, kinda like a penny sleeve? I have other PSA holders that do not have interior sleeve-like characteristics. Does anyone know the difference between the two styles?

Thanks

-Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0014sm.jpg (58.5 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg 0021sm.jpg (43.5 KB, 412 views)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA uses the mylar sleeve if they are worried the card will get damaged by floating around in the slab. Even though they provide better protection, most people dislike them because they make the slab harder to photograph nicely.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA uses the mylar sleeve if they are worried the card will get damaged by floating around in the slab. Even though they provide better protection, most people dislike them because they make the slab harder to photograph nicely.
Is there some rhyme or reason to which cards they do this to? Because I have another '33 Goudey that doesn't have the sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 03:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwang100 View Post
Is there some rhyme or reason to which cards they do this to? Because I have another '33 Goudey that doesn't have the sleeve.
Depends on the slabber and the card itself; you can also request "no mylar baggies" on the submission form, but the PSA grader/slabber may do it anyways if they are worried about additional damage to the card while it's slabbed. The Ruth looks fragile, which is probably why it got the mylar bag treatment.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Depends on the slabber and the card itself; you can also request "no mylar baggies" on the submission form, but the PSA grader/slabber may do it anyways if they are worried about additional damage to the card while it's slabbed. The Ruth looks fragile, which is probably why it got the mylar bag treatment.
Thank you, very informative!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2018, 05:27 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

PSA won't honor any requests for no mylar sleeves. Below is an excerpt from an e-mail I received from their customer service manager in September of 2016.

"PSA places cards in Mylar Sleeves to preserve the grade of the card, if we feel it may shift inside the holder. We have many different types of holders but some cards don’t always fit the dimensions. We are required to do this as our company's work is based on the grading of cards and thus, the preservation of that grade within the holder. With that said, we have the right to place a card in a Mylar Sleeve if we feel it is best for the card. Furthermore, with the volume of cards we encapsulate on a daily basis, it is not feasible to check the notes left about specific instructions on Mylar Sleeve requests. That department works hard to make sure collectibles are preserved and well-maintained inside our holders per our company policy. The customer service department has attempted to meet your requests, but our sealing department has their own standards to uphold. So, with all due respect, we can no longer meet your written request of encapsulating cards without a Mylar Sleeve........due to your undesirability of the Mylar Sleeves. I apologize if this is not understandable or upsetting. It is not my intention to push our customer base away."

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 12-30-2018, 07:37 AM

Do the slabs offer any UV protection? I would think that’s an easy way to help protect the grade of the card as well?