NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Wrong front images on vintage cards.....show us what you have

I will start this show with the E104 Bris Lord, whose image is actually that of Sherry Magee. The T206 image is correct
for Magee. Conversely, the E104 image does not resemble Bris Lord. Why these images are reversed is anyone's guess.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Jamie

HI Ted.. a couple i can share...

Downey with Poland on the front...

is this Patorius or Lake? lol SGC flipped a coin and came up with Pastorius... they couldnt do .5 on the pop report for lake
Old 09-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not vintage but this one really bothers me because he could well end up in the HOF and this is his only rookie card. Only problem, it's not him, it's a guy named Juan Lebron. Beltran's image, conversely, is on Lebron's card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cb.jpg (79.3 KB, 364 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Just discovered this one yesterday. 1908 Pictorial News photo of Wid Conroy with the N.Y. Highlanders. Uni changed to represent Washington for his T206 and image is flopped:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Cool thread. I no longer own this apparent Joe Tinker, who looks exactly like the Honus Wagner from the same set; and these guys looked nothing alike. I don’t know if it’s a wrong Tinker, a wrong Wagner, or just a lazy rendition of them both (a suspect the last since the set has numerous example of poor likeness)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF5E678D-818B-42D4-A057-9E7F7F20B985.jpg (11.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Cool thread. I no longer own this apparent Joe Tinker, who looks exactly like the Honus Wagner from the same set; and these guys looked nothing alike. I don’t know if it’s a wrong Tinker, a wrong Wagner, or just a lazy rendition of them both (a suspect the last since the set has numerous example of poor likeness)

Hey Ryan

This is scary....you and I think alike

I was going to post my E91-C Hans Wagner tonite. The images are the same....but, not the name.

Your E91-A Tinker was in the first 33-card press run of these Caramel cards. And, Wagner was in the last 33-card press run.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Jeff

Default Really Ivy Wingo (just like the card says)

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Rob

Yes, Beltran had a really nice career. That's not him. Here's one that barely fits the topic/category...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w516-1collins244.jpg (51.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey Ryan

This is scary....you and I think alike

I was going to post my E91-C Hans Wagner tonite. The images are the same....but, not the name.

Your E91-A Tinker was in the first 33-card press run of these Caramel cards. And, Wagner was in the last 33-card press run.

TED Z

T206 Reference
I do think it looks more like Tinker than Wagner. Indeed, it looks nothing like Wagner, who could have been the father of the young buck pictured in the E91 Tinker/Wagner card.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Really cool errors Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Bill Avery

Can't forget the most common one. The Art Kruger with Otto Krueger on it. Or is it Otto Krueger with Art Kruger's name and team?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20190128 (2).jpg (55.8 KB, 205 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default E94, E97, E98 Cy young Are not Cy Young !!!!

They are Irv Young who looks nothing like Cy. I have owned both the E97 and E 98 Cy Youngs and I did not like either one. And today I do not have any Irv Young cards I'm my PC. So just to clarify none of the cards shown are mine. Am I the only one who has a problem wrapping my head around this?? I mean if you are going to spend Cy Young money dont you want Cy Young to be on the card???
Old 09-26-2019, 11:48 PM
Rob

Nice ones, Jonathan. Jaime's are cool and fit the topic with different players on front. I just posted the Collins on here because it came in the mail today. I have a Mario Lemieux with a blank front that I don't think you guys want to see. Rob
Old 09-27-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
They are Irv Young who looks nothing like Cy. I have owned both the E97 and E 98 Cy Youngs and I did not like either one. And today I do not have any Irv Young cards I'm my PC. So just to clarify none of the cards shown are mine. Am I the only one who has a problem wrapping my head around this?? I mean if you are going to spend Cy Young money dont you want Cy Young to be on the card???
Many people don't know this, but Irv Young was often referred to as Cy Young, so they really didn't make an error with his name. By that time when the card was released, the original Cy Young was often called Old Cy Young. Heck, even 1908 pitcher Harley Young was called Cy and he went 0-for-3 in his only season in the majors.

The early years of baseball had no issue reusing nicknames for people with the same last name. Best example is that four players with the last name Freeman had the nickname Buck.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I do think it looks more like Tinker than Wagner. Indeed, it looks nothing like Wagner, who could have been the father of the young buck pictured in the E91 Tinker/Wagner card.
Here is another Tinker card that has the same source image that was used for depicting Mr. Tinker's head (as well as Waddell, just because it is on the same scan), and a link to my long ago post about the E91 sets and why they should not be uniformly labeled 'generic'.

Brian

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243920
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E91comparisonsTinkerWaddell253.jpg (76.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 09-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Many people don't know this, but Irv Young was often referred to as Cy Young, so they really didn't make an error with his name. By that time when the card was released, the original Cy Young was often called Old Cy Young. Heck, even 1908 pitcher Harley Young was called Cy and he went 0-for-3 in his only season in the majors.

The early years of baseball had no issue reusing nicknames for people with the same last name. Best example is that four players with the last name Freeman had the nickname Buck.
Well Irv might have picked up the nickname but he never played for Cleveland. And my point was folks pay large sums of money for a Cy Young of Clevland card and that is not what they get. I would guess that if PSA changed the flips to say who was really on the cards they would loose a significant portion of their value. I was at a Willow grove show in the early 90's with
A Briggs Young and I told 2 guys who were looking at it that it wasn't really Cy Young and they didn't buy. Sold it later to a guy working on the set who knew what it was.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Furthermore,
the E90-1 Cleveland version of Cy Young is actually an image of Irv Young

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Jonathan,

You're not the only one who is bothered by this. I'll never complete those sets because I refuse to pay Cy Young prices for those Irv Young cards and I am always baffled by the prices those cards get.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I always thought this "angelic" looking image of Eddie Collins on his T206 (350 series) card is inconsistent with
his image on most of his other cards. For example, these two...…

I would appreciate your opinions ?

. . . .

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Rob

Default Collins

Ted, here's a Horner photo from a 2016 Christie's auction. (not mine) Maybe the photo is early, like 1908, when he was 20. He aged fast I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornereddiecollins.jpg (69.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Here are cards (E93 and E98) that have always been attributed as Eddie Collins cards, yet they actually picture Jimmy Collins. They played together on the same Philadelphia A's team in 1907 and 1908, Jimmy at the end of his career, and Eddie at the start. The grading companies still misidentify them as Eddie.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e93e98jimmycollins275.jpg (78.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 09-28-2019 at 05:08 PM. Reason: tori spelling
Old 09-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Ted, here's a Horner photo from a 2016 Christie's auction. (not mine) Maybe the photo is early, like 1908, when he was 20. He aged fast I think.

Thanks Rob

Eddie was a 19 year old rookie in 1906. Horner most likely snapped that photo back then, when Eddie was still a teenager.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Well Irv might have picked up the nickname but he never played for Cleveland. And my point was folks pay large sums of money for a Cy Young of Clevland card and that is not what they get. I would guess that if PSA changed the flips to say who was really on the cards they would loose a significant portion of their value. I was at a Willow grove show in the early 90's with
A Briggs Young and I told 2 guys who were looking at it that it wasn't really Cy Young and they didn't buy. Sold it later to a guy working on the set who knew what it was.
There are Boston versions of that pose that came out first. Team was changed to Cleveland afterwards. That's the error on the card, not the fact that they used Irv Young on a Cy Young card. It was issued as an Irv Young card first and his nickname at the time was Cy, so there was no mistake on the card the first time it was issued. The card below has no error on the front, just like the black and white Briggs version

(not my card)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e97buying.jpg (30.6 KB, 76 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 09-29-2019 at 05:04 PM.