NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Default t206 helm missing yellow???

Hello all!!

hope everyone had a great holiday....

I just picked up an interesting t206 from a great friend(BTW- thanx a ton)..

At first, the background and face of mr. helm looks chemically faded/ solvent or something that was possibly caused from scrapbook removal???

I was thinking this, and another good friend confirmed my suspicion, but i'm not 100% convinced...

The blue background/blue color should be affected if it were chemical, but its so "blue".....and the offset yellow extending over the left border is not affected???

I am so confused and was fishing for opinions...

Factory missing yellow???chemically altered??

Thanks in advance

Peace

Johnny v
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmback.jpg (75.3 KB, 284 views)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Just for you Johnny, the Downey I was talking about. Notice it has the color missing around the red on his sleeve, but the red part is fine. Bought this because it looked neat, it has a Tolstoi back and it was $7, plus has a wet sheet transfer on the back on the front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0033.jpg (77.5 KB, 271 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 AM

Default Johnny

Thanks for posting! your card is a chemical removal.....there are a few examples like yours that sellers were trying to pass off as "missing ink"....these cards are much easier to differentiate, the colors are all" dull" and removed in a general area,the red looks slightly affected, but affected slightly, and most have that writing on them.....i'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news johnny on that cause there are a few of these....i think the levys have a few....i could be wrong......

i'm glad u posted, cause your card is a prime example of chemical removal....if the helm were the same, the blue background after the yellow was "removed " by chemical would be at least pale or faded, but the blue is super vibrant.....thats why im confused on helm

HELP

Last edited by mrvster; 11-25-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM

I knew it was already JV, that is why I explained why I bought it. Just showing you that a full color could remain with the damage around it. I paid $7(incl S/H) and it has a Tolstoi back, there is no bad news with that
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Default johnny!!

pheeeeeeeeew!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM

Great card Johnny! Wish I knew more about it!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Default no other takers??

steve b???
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

Tough one. Part of what's making it confusing is the stain from whatever glue was used. I couldn't see exactly what you were saying about the yellow along the edge, so I played with the color/contrast a bit.

Still tough to tell. There's some yellow along the left side where it should be missing, but there's also some remnant of the stain along the right side where it shouldn't be at all. And at the top too.

Something certainly messed with the yellow at the upper left, but it's hard to say if it was missing or if whatever was used to remove it from the scrapbook did it, since the crease is very heavy on that side and a chemical could have soaked in fairly well.

If I was buying it as a P-F card I'd probably go for it. Maybe a bit more than a regular card as a speculative curiosity.

I wouldn't mind seeing a higher res scan of the area, with a bit of the normal area at the edge. But I'm thinking that still wouldn't get me past the 50/50 point.

Steve B
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Default steve............

thanks so much for responding.....haven't received it yet.....i'm confused also....i can see more of the yellow with your contrast.....one of my friends said it looked chemical, and i tend to agree with him, but i cant get past the fact the blue back so crispa few others said the same....it would help to see it in hand....maybe i will mail it to a few of you to see in person
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi Johnny,
Let me know when you get the card in your hands... Hope you are well my friend. Brian

PS Here is my "Blue" Manion:

Last edited by Brian Weisner; 11-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Jason Stricker

I don't believe this is due to chemicals or due to the glue on the back of the card.

Could it be as simple as the printing block just didn't have yellow ink on the top left corner? Or something got in the way, like a stray piece of paper, and covered the corner of the printing block?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM

The Mattern in this lot seems to have the same problem. It's on both sides of his head so it didn't just miss to one side

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Lot-of-...item1c2da8a0e9

Last edited by z28jd; 11-27-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: more better grammar
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Default brian and jason....

thanks for your posts....this one has me totally confused.....was kinda thinking like jason originally....