NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2023, 05:52 AM
Bill K@sel

Default Strip Card Find

Leon, feel free to delete if this was already covered and I missed it, but I just saw this story pop up in my newsfeed this morning about a new find out in SF with a bunch of strip cards and Ruth’s. Very cool! Their condition is not good, but it’s still a pretty incredible collection.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...l-tobacco-tin/

Bill
Old 11-10-2023, 06:28 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Where platform do they sell on?
I did not see the info?
Old 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Jimmy

Very cool story, we found some in a tin once - not as many cards - mixed with sports and non sports. Great little collection and we should see some of these Ruth's very soon! I think the story had said many have already been sold and some off to grading.

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 11-10-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:15 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I tried calling with no luck
But messaged them - hopefully
I can get details more like where and when
And what’s available
Old 12-15-2023, 01:19 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Any updates when these cards are available to buy? auction?
I tried again today, would like to add a card i need.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:37 PM
Scott Russell

Some company called Auction Monthly whose owners refuse to reveal their last names...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-15-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Some company called Auction Monthly whose owners refuse to reveal their last names...
A company's name should reflect something about that company...I guess we can assume monthly auctions from this outfit? Perhaps if they were instead called Surname Auctions we could likely wrestle last names from them.

Brian (last name not given, but then again I am not an auction company)
Old 12-15-2023, 02:14 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
A company's name should reflect something about that company...I guess we can assume monthly auctions from this outfit? Perhaps if they were instead called Surname Auctions we could likely wrestle last names from them.

Brian (last name not given, but then again I am not an auction company)
It just struck me as odd. Their website's "About page" talks about "brothers Ty and Brandon" and their press releases (which some papers just ran without doing any work) cite "Brandon" but no last names are given. Really a weird way to do business if you are proud of your reputation.

I know nothing about the company (or at least I THINK I know nothing lol, maybe the last name would ring a bell) and maybe it's just me, but it feels weird. What do their business cards say?

Anyway you can chalk my reaction up to jealousy if you think I'm over-reacting.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-15-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:29 PM
Andrew

The seller is active on Twitter under the handle @Sacreseller if you wanted to try reaching out to him there. He does a lot of business both selling and buying. Can’t say I’ve purchased from before but he has plenty of vouches from others
Old 12-15-2023, 03:28 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Someone needed to take the scissors away from the original owner back in the day! 🤣

Nice collection, albeit in pretty low grade.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-15-2023, 05:09 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPduppp View Post
The seller is active on Twitter under the handle @Sacreseller if you wanted to try reaching out to him there. He does a lot of business both selling and buying. Can’t say I’ve purchased from before but he has plenty of vouches from others
I guess I just find it odd to name your company Auction Monthly with no evidence you have ever held an auction, and no way to find an auction on their site.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:22 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

This guy was able to reach Auction Monthly.

https://youtu.be/dD1DIr2TI4I?si=yOGE7ixt7_mGteCL
Old 12-16-2023, 12:26 PM
Sonny Smith

Quote:
It just struck me as odd. Their website's "About page" talks about "brothers Ty and Brandon" and their press releases (which some papers just ran without doing any work) cite "Brandon" but no last names are given. Really a weird way to do business if you are proud of your reputation.

I know nothing about the company (or at least I THINK I know nothing lol, maybe the last name would ring a bell) and maybe it's just me, but it feels weird. What do their business cards say?

Anyway you can chalk my reaction up to jealousy if you think I'm over-reacting.
It is very odd. Maybe they're 100% legit, but I can not think of any "good" reasons for a business owner not to want to share their last name on their company website. Especially if you are handling / selling other people's items for them.

I googled their phone # to see if I could find any other info on them - no physical address or business info comes up. BUT, the phone number is also used on Sports Cards Roadshow and Sacramento Auction House websites (these appear to be websites made to just get leads on sports card collections). Both of these websites have zero info about their owners / operators as well.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:25 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:

Thanks,
I reached out to them and also did the buyer/seller private form
They finally responded back on twitter(x)
Quote:
Sac Reseller (Auction Monthly Powered!)
@Sacreseller
·
11m
Hey Chris, I have been meaning to get back too you. We just have had many calls and emails too respond to. I will let you know once its back from PSA
Old 12-18-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyu2 View Post
It is very odd. Maybe they're 100% legit, but I can not think of any "good" reasons for a business owner not to want to share their last name on their company website. Especially if you are handling / selling other people's items for them.

I googled their phone # to see if I could find any other info on them - no physical address or business info comes up. BUT, the phone number is also used on Sports Cards Roadshow and Sacramento Auction House websites (these appear to be websites made to just get leads on sports card collections). Both of these websites have zero info about their owners / operators as well.
Hi Sonny,

This is Brandon with Auction Monthly. We operate a fast growing family business. Please DM your phone number to me and I would be happy to call you and we can discuss in detail more about our company and who we are.

I look forward to talking to you. Thanks, Brandon.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:52 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

wouldn't it make MORE SENSE to discuss it HERE? Important enough for you to register and post - not important enough to provide details about your fast growing business in a forum hungry for baseball cards?
Old 12-19-2023, 10:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
wouldn't it make MORE SENSE to discuss it HERE? Important enough for you to register and post - not important enough to provide details about your fast growing business in a forum hungry for baseball cards?
Touche. Very professional and confidence inspiring. I always trust people who don't give their names.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-19-2023 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:24 AM

A few snippets from the article linked in the other thread that was just posted about this same find:

John, whose full name is being withheld by Auction Monthly, pulled the tin container out and took it back to his home in Sacramento.

“I couldn’t believe what was inside when I first opened the lid,” said an official from Auction Monthly.

An official for Auction Monthly, a company founded by a father-son duo, said they knew what much of the collection held

I like my privacy like any other red-blooded private American citizen full of red colored blood, but geez, it seems that the owners of this company didn't even allow their first names to be identified in the article. They certainly are withholding more than the card owner's name, and all it does is make you wonder why all the secrecy.

brianp(arker)-beme
Old 12-20-2023, 07:15 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
A few snippets from the article linked in the other thread that was just posted about this same find:

John, whose full name is being withheld by Auction Monthly, pulled the tin container out and took it back to his home in Sacramento.

“I couldn’t believe what was inside when I first opened the lid,” said an official from Auction Monthly.

An official for Auction Monthly, a company founded by a father-son duo, said they knew what much of the collection held

I like my privacy like any other red-blooded private American citizen full of red colored blood, but geez, it seems that the owners of this company didn't even allow their first names to be identified in the article. They certainly are withholding more than the card owner's name, and all it does is make you wonder why all the secrecy.

brianp(arker)-beme
If you like your privacy, a business in which you do press releases might not be for you.

The article that says "a representative " is the same press release just handled better by that particular publication instead of using just "Brandon" which makes no sense.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:35 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

I agree with the majority. The transparency of this company is lacking. What is also puzzling is why did Brandon reached out to Sonny only not to the others that posted here.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieP View Post
I agree with the majority. The transparency of this company is lacking. What is also puzzling is why did Brandon reached out to Sonny only not to the others that posted here.
They also waited 3 1/2 years to make their first post.

Hopefully Sonny reports back with some info.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:50 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They also waited 3 1/2 years to make their first post.

Hopefully Sonny reports back with some info.
I dunno about that. Sonny’s been here 5+ years and only posted 26 times.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:13 AM
Sonny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerty1 View Post
Hi Sonny,

This is Brandon with Auction Monthly. We operate a fast growing family business. Please DM your phone number to me and I would be happy to call you and we can discuss in detail more about our company and who we are.

I look forward to talking to you. Thanks, Brandon.
Brandon,

I appreciate the offer, but agree with the other members that if you'd like to share info about your company and who you are - please do it here so all can see.

In the sports cards / memorabilia world, we know the full names of just about all the owners / operators of the auction houses and consignment services. I really can not think of one company that I do not know the owner's full name (and some of their employee's full names as well) - and I buy and sell with 99% of them.

So, when a company shows up that we can not find info on the owner, they have limited contact info, and are named as an "auction" company, but do not have any history of holding an auction, questions arise as to why that might be.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Scott Russell

I will say that based on geography and a couple other factors I believe "a representative" of Auction Monthly is registered with us. Obviously not going to share his info, but on a whim I dug through our bidders and I think I found him.

EDIT: They've been "outed" on Blow Out https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?p=19207176

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-20-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Per Blowout.

For reference their names are Ty Baisden and Brandon Baisden. Brandon graduated high school two years ago.

They have a “Sales and Marketing Associate” named Ryan Verdult who is a Junior at UCLA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:22 AM
Andrew

Pure speculation, but I wonder if the lack of transparency is a generational thing. Speaking as a comparatively newer and younger collector, I don’t often see sellers on social media use their full name or contact info. It’s all Twitter handles and “shop” names. Knowing that this group does a lot of business on social media, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think they’re carrying that mindset into this new venture. Makes it less of a “purposefully being shady” thing and more of a “new kid on the block,” if that makes sense

-Andrew Parks
Old 12-20-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Pure speculation, but I wonder if the lack of transparency is a generational thing. Speaking as a comparatively newer and younger collector, I don’t often see sellers on social media use their full name or contact info. It’s all Twitter handles and “shop” names. Knowing that this group does a lot of business on social media, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think they’re carrying that mindset into this new venture. Makes it less of a “purposefully being shady” thing and more of a “new kid on the block,” if that makes sense

-Andrew Parks
That is a plausible explanation seeing that at least two of the three involved in this business are probably in their early 20's.

But if you are dealing with vintage cards, you should also realize that you might be expected to operate (or at least be willing to, upon request) in a more traditional fashion, being that our age demographic skews a little more aggressively around the speed limit on major thoroughfares.

Having said that, I bet many on this board wish their knees/backs etc. were 20-something again.

Brian
Old 12-20-2023, 10:58 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

-Andrew Parks
Doesn't address the fact that they are an auction that has never run one (and are in violation of numerous California regulations if they are indeed an auction)

Old 12-20-2023, 11:32 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Doesn't address the fact that they are an auction that has never run one (and are in violation of numerous California regulations if they are indeed an auction)
Of course, all of that is true. I just think this is a case of a couple guys in over their heads. Hanlon’s Razor and all that.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:38 AM
Mike Henry

For anyone curious, their California LLC is "West Coast Vintage, LLC" (#202135410682).

I have no clue whether "Auction Monthly" is a DBA or something completely different, or why they're being so secretive about it.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:36 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I exchange phone texts and a PM with Ty.
Here is some info on their site on their background:
https://auctionmonthly.com/about/

From what i read so far: That they are a sports card shop and help clients sell their items.
I dont know for the auction aspect or where or how to buy, perhaps direct from them.
But seems they send stuff to auction house or other venues to sell.
Otherwise, sit and wait till the cards come back from PSA.
@Gunboat: Yeah that LLC seems right, as they gave me their emails.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 12-20-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:02 AM

Default More About Auction Monthly

Here is all of the information you are looking for:

1. The only reason that we keep as confidential as we can is to protect the privacy of our customers. However, we will consider all of the comments being made as we continue to grow.

2. Our business model is very clear on our website. We help customers sell sports cards and collectibles to our private customers and select auction houses that we have partnered with.

3. We are not a new company. We have been selling sports cards for many years. However, we are now marketing online, and we have big plans for the future. We love sports cards and helping our customers.

4. Our main goal is to provide the best customer service possible for our customers.

5. We are always open to any questions you may have. We are always buying and selling.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 12-21-2023, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
For anyone curious, their California LLC is "West Coast Vintage, LLC" (#202135410682).

I have no clue whether "Auction Monthly" is a DBA or something completely different, or why they're being so secretive about it.
No secrets. Auction Monthly is our National company.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:46 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:

1. The only reason that we keep as confidential as we can is to protect the privacy of our customers. However, we will consider all of the comments being made as we continue to grow.

2. Our business model is very clear on our website. We help customers sell sports cards and collectibles to our private customers and select auction houses that we have partnered with.

3. We are not a new company. We have been selling sports cards for many years. However, we are now marketing online, and we have big plans for the future. We love sports cards and helping our customers.

4. Our main goal is to provide the best customer service possible for our customers.

5. We are always open to any questions you may have. We are always buying and selling.

Thanks,
Brandon
So your business model is like the guys on Chasing Cardboard minus the eBay store and YouTube Channel, podcast etc
Old 12-21-2023, 05:00 AM

Default Every Post yada yada yada

1933 Worch Cigar , Fabian Gaffke,

..It's in the long slow process of having 90 years worth of cigar and cigarette smoke carefully cleaned off.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:50 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:

Thanks,
Brandon
Just some follow-up questions:

1. How does keeping your own last names out of press releases protect the privacy of your customers? Couldn't you be completely transparent about who you are and how you're rebranding while also keeping your clientele under wraps?

3. If you're an established company and just now starting to market your services online, why isn't there a clear link between "Auction Monthly" and your other ventures? Is Auction Monthly a separate LLC, or is it all part and parcel of West Coast Vintage?
Old 12-21-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieP View Post
So your business model is like the guys on Chasing Cardboard minus the eBay store and YouTube Channel, podcast etc
I don't know exactly what they do but yes we help our customers sell with the best options for each collection.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
Just some follow-up questions:

1. How does keeping your own last names out of press releases protect the privacy of your customers? Couldn't you be completely transparent about who you are and how you're rebranding while also keeping your clientele under wraps?

3. If you're an established company and just now starting to market your services online, why isn't there a clear link between "Auction Monthly" and your other ventures? Is Auction Monthly a separate LLC, or is it all part and parcel of West Coast Vintage?
Hi Mike. We were just trying to protect our customers privacy. As you can see, people are trying to figure out who we are so our number one goal is to take care of our customers. I am on here talking to you and answering your questions so that is transparent.

We have future plans of creating an industry online magazine and there may be a different name and domain for the magazine. So we decided to place all companies under the LLC.

As I have stated, our main goal is to help our customers by doing the best for our customers.

Last edited by powerty1; 12-21-2023 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Correcting typos
Old 12-21-2023, 02:38 PM

Sorry for the typo. I was trying to say that we do our best to protect our customers' privacy.

Last edited by powerty1; 12-21-2023 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
Old 12-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

Welcome to the party, Brandon!

I think a lot of the excitement and confusion was a misunderstanding based on the naming of at least one of your entities. Because it has the word "auction" in it, we all assumed that your entity was itself actually hosting an auction.

But it sounds like you don't actually run your own auction like most other conventional auction houses. But you instead "partner with" other existing auction houses, and they are the ones to host the auction.

So it seems like a bit of a misunderstanding all around. I guess we can put down the pitchforks. At least for now, until another hobby monster comes into our view.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-21-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Welcome to the party, Brandon!

I think a lot of the excitement and confusion was a misunderstanding based on the naming of at least one of your entities. Because it has the word "auction" in it, we all assumed that your entity was itself actually hosting an auction.

But it sounds like you don't actually run your own auction like most other conventional auction houses. But you instead "partner with" other existing auction houses, and they are the ones to host the auction.

So it seems like a bit of a misunderstanding all around. I guess we can put down the pitchforks. At least for now, until another hobby monster comes into our view.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

I will check our inventory to see if we have the Mays cards you are looking for. I will get back to you if we have them.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:25 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

just a little update:
The guys recently sold the remaining strip cards on Ebay.
Ty (WestCoastVintage they also go by) sent me a text days in advance to the link where it was being auctioned off. Which was Ebay.
Ebay user name -- sports916
Well, i was able to snipe my card, and WON it. Thanks Ty!!
Old 04-30-2024, 02:02 AM
Phil Garry

Chris:

You gotta post before the auctions end. Not going to do us any good now to see what we missed out on.

Congrats on the pick-up though!
Old 04-30-2024, 03:54 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Phil
It was all the other cards besides Ruth
Bunches of strip cards
Look under the EBay name I listed in Sold items
Old 05-01-2024, 01:54 PM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Chris:

You gotta post before the auctions end. Not going to do us any good now to see what we missed out on.

Congrats on the pick-up though!
Link?
Old 05-01-2024, 03:21 PM
Jorge Pelayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Link?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_C...ecificSeller=1

1910-11 T212 Obaks
1910-11 M116's
1912 T207
1912 C46 Imperial Tobbaco
Frank Arellanes Zeenuts
Old 05-02-2024, 08:25 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Someone got a cool Stengel with lots of border And a number grade psa 2 ($51)

Last edited by Beercan collector; 05-02-2024 at 08:26 AM.