NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks for your public service G. W. Bush (OT) 2.5

Posted By: Cat

Public service is a very unforgiving act. Someone will always be unhappy with the results. No matter what your politics or opinions, he served this country during a very difficult time. Let's not forget his accomplishments. In the interest of equal time, I would like to thank him!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I would too.

President Bush did not choose the circumstances he had to deal with (the worst attacks on the United States since WWII), and in my opinion, he did one heck of a job making sure it didn't happen again, at least on his watch.

Steve

Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

For keeping us safe after the worst terrorist attack in this country's history.

For restoring our economy after this attack....in which the Stock Market (DOW) plummeted to 7600....in 2002.

George Bush followed the examples of great President's like John F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, who CUT our TAXES.
George Bush's three Tax cuts during the years 2002 to 2007 stimulated the economy for 6 continuous years (longest
period of growth in U.S. history)......
in which the DOW almost doubled to 14,000....by the Summer of '07.

How soon people forget this fact.

History will be kind to Bush (in 9 years). As, history has been kind to Abraham Lincoln, Harry Truman, and Ronald Reagan.

TED Z

Old 01-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You can thank the man for eight years of public service, and the country has been safe, but history will be merciless to George Bush. He is going to rank near the bottom.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Sure, Barry, as long as the liberal media does the rankings. Just think, if only Bush had given huge tax cuts to people who don't pay taxes anyway you'd push him right to the top....

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 AM
Administrator

So Jeff, you think the history books are going to portray Bush as a great president? Please send me a sample of what you are smoking...my stuff is pretty strong, but it doesn't bring about the hallucinations. happy.gif

Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Administrator

No, I don't think so. I don't think that Bush was a great president for a variety of reasons. But I think his actions against Islamic terrorism have been badly underrated and I believe, sadly, that history will prove him to be prescient.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Well, we differ on that point. No big deal. I think Bush lost interest in the job a few years ago and sleepwalked through most of his second term.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Andrews

No matter how much the people in the US dislike or disagree with the man, after all the discussion torture, wonder if your phone calls are being listened to, waiting in line to get through airport security, and joking about the guy's IQ, nothing else happened in this country after 9/11. You can't argue that fact and I am certainly thankful. I voted for the man twice and while he made his share of mistakes he's certainly not as bad as the media makes out. I received a check for $1,200 last year and the man was basically made out as an idiot for trying to stimulate the economy. President Obama is suggesting that everyone receive $500 and he's our savior. There IS a bias in the media.

I do hope the note he left for President Obama encouraged him to listen and recognize the disenting opinion. This is the area where Bush really missed the mark and if President Obama does the same thing (leaning too far left)those of us who occupy the middle will likely show our frustration again in 2012.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Administrator

At the start of G W Bush's 2nd term (2005-2007), he provided Million of $$$$$$ to Africa to reduce the AIDS crises there.

He gave us his 3rd TAX CUT in his tenure, which further boosted the economy....as was evident by the DOW climbing to
an unprecedented 14,000.

He placed General Petraeus as the Commander in IRAQ.....and, implemented the "surge" which has significantly reduced
the terrorist violence there.

During Bush's 2nd term, more terrorist attacks were thwarted, as the top Al Qeda dude, Zwohari (whatever his name
was), who be-headed Daniel Pearl was finally killed in IRAQ.

These are just a few events that are off the top of my mind....there are many more.

But, in your mind they don't amount to anything ! ?

Sorry ole buddy....but, sometime, I just don't understand how you think ? ?

TED Z

Old 01-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I think Bush lost interest in the job a few years ago and sleepwalked through most of his second term.

At least you've come up with something new, Barry. The old talking points were becoming very predictable.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Frey

While mostly a lurker and at risk for being flamed......i enjoy both the site and the limited interactions i've had with members (B/S/T, advice on cards, etc). That said, i don't feel this Board is the place for political threads like this or the previous Obama post--too divisive, will change no perceptions, takes away from strength/purpose of the Board

thanks
jim frey

Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Ted- when you make a poltical point you always use only the facts that support your argument, and conveniently leave out the ones that don't. He did some good things but he did a host of very bad things too. Why were they omitted from your list? As such, your position holds no credibility whatsoever. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You won't be flamed for your opinion and you are right, obviously. Both of these threads will be locked this morning.....And we will get back to what is best about this board....thanks for the input......take care

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Barry, please tell me you can appreciate the irony of your last post.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Bush did an outstanding job in what matters most--protecting the company against Islamic terrorism.

As Ted said he also put through a significant tax cut.

He won't be up there with Reagan as the greatest president of the 21st century but history will be kind to him as the man who thwarted the Islamic terrorists after 9/11.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Thanks for the deaths of over 4000 American soldiers in a war that virtually no other president would have started. Your own father admitted he had no exit strategy in Iraq, which was why he ended the first Gulf War when he did.
Your strategic geniuses thought they would be putting flowers in the rifles of American soldiers.
Thanks for the hundreds of thousands of wounded American vets whose lives will be permanently affected by this useless war.
Thanks for the hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded innocent Iraqis.
Thanks for the tax cuts DURING a war, no other president in history ever did that, and naturally what did the tax cuts help lead to:
Thanks for the deficit which our grandchildren will have to pay off.
Thanks for turning a surplus into that multi trillion dollar deficit.
Thanks for making me visit the Archives Building in 2004 and 2007 when I was in DC. I wanted to make sure that the Constitution was still there.
Thanks for daydreaming about attacking Iraq in August 2001,when a report was given to you stating that Osama Bin Laden was determined to attack in the US.
Thanks from the citizens of New Orleans.
Thanks for foisting "Brownie" on the people of New Orleans.
Thanks for the helping the comedic careers of Will Ferrell, Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, without you I don't know what they will do.
Thanks from Valerie Plame affair, we will never know the real story about who exposed her, but I don't think you are completely innocent in that affair. True patriotism, exposing a real life CIA agent like that.
And speaking of true patriotism, thanks for Dick Cheney , the ultimate draft dodger. He can send our sons and daughters off to war, but he never could bring himself to do it himself.
BYE GEORGE, thanks.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

" Ted- when you make a political point you always use only the facts that support your argument...."

By not refuting these facts that I have posted, then you must realize that they are true. Which contradicts
your prior post.
Furthermore, your last sentence...." As such, your position holds no credibility whatsoever. "

Absolutely, is utterly incongruent.

The problem Bush has faced throughout his 8 years, is that no matter what he has done, that many view as
positive, he doesn't get a fair shake from the liberals and the (90%) liberal media. Because they are "blinded"
by their leftist ideology.

I don't like arguing with you on this forum....this is it.

TED Z

Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

edit:

since this about to be locked - I will edit out my post.

my apologies if this screws up any reference posts after mine.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Ted- nothing personal, you know we don't agree on politics. Of course Bush did some good things for the country, but you can't pretend he didn't do bad things too, and anger the majority of the country. It goes deeper than just liberals being angry at him- plenty of Republicans were too.

Jeff- I am missing the irony of my last post so please explain before Leon locks the thread.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Barry,

I say this seriously but good-heartedly--you look at the world through the same prism that Keith and Rachel do. You have admitted to reading the new york times every day, you watch Keith and Rachel every day and your friends outside of all the people on this board are all liberals. As Ted would say you listen to the liberal elite media all the time and don't expose yourself to other points of view.

Barry--if you watched Fox News every night, kept WABC talk radio on every day, read the Washington Times and hung out with different people you would change your mind. happy.gif

Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Worst ever. Should be in prison.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Actually, Marc Rich should be in prison. happy.gif

Old 01-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Jim- you are probably 100% correct, but what can I do? I am who I am.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Barry - you read The New York Times every day??? And you admit it. Shame on you happy.gifhappy.gif. You show off,,, guess you should read the New York Rag, er Post,, and the Moonie owned Washington Times.

Unknown author

--

The Boss

Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Sanders

Thank you for putting your needs secondary to the Needs of the country.
Thanks for keeping us safe since 9/11.
Thanks for showing a depth of character to continue with your principles in guiding our country while withstanding the rants of those that disagree with your policies.
I wish you the best and regardless of what History ranks you as in terms of level of Presidency...you were Our President and for that I am grateful.

To those that feel the need to rant here with the same nonsense that you spew elsewhere, I feel pity for you. The divisions in this country come from those of you that see only their point of view and refuse to acknowledge others. Progress comes from meeting in the middle not being one sided!

A final thought...
If a thread is designed for thanks, and says so in it's title the disrespect you show by jumping in and adding your disparaging remarks is just as telling of your personal character as the man you obviously hate. (This works both ways and I will be the first to thank Obama -regardless of my feelings on his policies -when he leaves office as well!)

Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Every day Richard, but it's that darn crossword puzzle, and the Sunday acrostic, that's sucked me in. happy.gif

Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Tim,

Some people will never get it--they are called liberals. There are nice liberals like Barry and then there are the rest.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Yes Marc Rich should be in prison, right next to Scooter Libby's cell.
=

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Barry-

You sound like a peaceful, hopeful individual, but I think too many shrooms may have clouded your mind,maybe I'm wrong here. You almost sound like the typical Frenchman. I think Bush did the best he could for our country, and that he could be a big reason that one of our cities has not been nuked yet. I predict we will face a bigger crisis (non economic) during Obama's tenure, but the liberal, peace loving, dope smoking, tree hugging hippy media will not blame him......and they are right. I sincerely hope he thwarts any possible threats and works as hard as he says. I think Bush kept us safe for 8 more years and that was remarkable. We are heading into a time of wars, rumors of wars, bloodshed, world hunger, natural disasters, and economic failures. This is laid out clearly in the Word of God. Whether you believe in it or not literally it IS coming. Obama, Allah, Bush, CNN, China, Russia, the Pope, Israel, CIA, FBI, nor the UN can stop this. I sincerely pray for him and our people that eyes are opened to what made our country great and we get back to the roots of where we came from. I think Bush did not make every decision on his own as every other president. I also think Obama will not make every decision on his own. I think our country and government in corrupt and greedy and until we change that we are in deep ****. Pay your house off, buy a few guns, learn to grow a garden, repent of your sins, keep telling your children how much you love them, get to know Christ personally, and keep buying baseball cards and all will be fine. We cannot change the world without starting with oursleves.

Blessings to you,

Jason

Old 01-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Except Scooter Libby didn't commit one of the biggest tax frauds in history, didn't run away when charged, faced a jury of his peers and remains convicted despite a close personal relationship with a President who could have pardoned him and chose not to. Marc Rich on the other hand, stole a huge amount of money from our country, ran away, thumbed his nose at our justice system and then paid for a pardon -- which he received a moment before the President who was paid off left office.

I know the difference between the two mens' situations is subtle but it's there if you look close.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Jim- calling me a nice liberal, I like that.

Jason- I appreciate what you say but I will decline comment. Nothing personal.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank

"Thanks for the deaths of over 4000 American soldiers in a war that virtually no other president would have started."

You might be right, thus the deaths of over 3000 American citizens because the liberals under Clinton didn't do anything to prevent it. What was done after the USS Cole was attacked? Nothing, we just stood back and waited for the planning of 9/11. Bush had to deal with what crap was handed to him. The planning of 9/11 was well under way before Bush took office. These 4000 American soldiers and countless other foreign soldiers gave their life so that you have the right to play arm-chair quarterback on what you feel is best for all America. I suppose you would have turned the other cheek? Say what you want, but my kids have been able to sleep a little better since then knowing that Bush was willing to do whatever was necessary to protect the American people. I didn't agree with everything under his term, but I think he had the American people in mind and was doing what he thought was best at the time.
As far as GITMO goes, the people in that facility aren't innocent victims. They were put there to protect other people from becoming a casualty. I for one, still serving after 18 years of active service felt relieved that some of the more dangerous people were in GITMO, that way that was one less person that I had to deal with. If you have never been to the middle east, you have no idea of their thought process. These islamic terrorist/extremist could care less about yours or my rights.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Jeff - don't you think being part of the group that exposed a covert CIA agent, and possibly putting other agents' lives at risk, is much more of a crime than running away with money?
=

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator

But Frank--what about habeas corpus? They don't have...habeas corpus rights! I'm not going to sleep tonight knowing that some savage terrorist picked off a battle field 6000 miles away doesn't have...habeas corpus rights.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Richard, you're aware that Libby was not the leak, correct? And no, Libby's crime paled in comparison to what Marc Rich did. Just compare the potential sentences each man faced under the federal sentencing guidelines: Congress when putting together these guidelines graded Rich's crimes to be way more serious than the crime Libby was ultimately convicted of.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Frank - I would never have turned the other cheek,,, but Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11, even the most die hard neo con will concede that now.
The real war was and is in Afghanistan and Bush blew that by attacking Iraq.
=

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Jeff - I am very aware that Libby was not the leak. Perhaps Robert Novak, et al should be in the cell next to him.
=

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Well, Libby didn't get any jail time but I appreciate your point. And with Novak I think you're getting much warmer.