NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Matt Hall

I could be wrong, but it seems like most of the 206 freaks that come up for auction, end up in the pick-up thread. All rare cards have a thin market. What's interesting to me is that most of the market for these freaks seem to be board members that aren't particularly private with what they are buying. They all seem to be friends, and I'm sure they bid each other up! The freaks are an interesting anomaly, and the group of collectors after them are interesting too!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I don't personally see it, but maybe these printing error cards are just beginning to reach their potential (in terms of dollar value).

Such "freaks" are even more coveted in stamp and coin collecting, with a far greater premium paid for most examples. Here's one of the more famous ones...

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Ho...rticleID=50832

Perhaps Baseball Error Cards are finally starting build some steam and catch up? I believe that these anomalies will become more valuable/desirable with each year that passes (and may not always be so thinly traded).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jennystamp_hmed_7a_grid-6x2.jpg (42.9 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 05-30-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Matt Hall

Good point.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
pete ullman

I guess it's just part of the evolution of the hobby?! I mean why are collectibles...collectible? Because most were discarded...played with...used and abused?! These freaks and miscues should have been thrown away...but weren't...so while this stuff was viewed in the past as the garbage it was intended to be...it survived...so now it is very collectible.

Def not my cup of tea...but it is what it is!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
T206Collector- your philosophy doesn't hold water at all, IMO. you can't compare T206 to other sets. same question back at ya, can you compare signed T206's to signed 1950's Topps? no way. T206 is a special animal...you should know this.
If you have a 1953 Topps signed Satchel Paige or Jackie Robinson, I'd be happy to trade you a signed T206 for it.

Autographs are not everyone's cup of tea, but their interest level goes beyond signed T206 cards.

Printing anomolies in baseball cards spike wicked high on T206 -- why not other sets?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM

The word is "sexy". plain and simple, T206 cards are sexier than any other set. you can't deny this, as you are a T206 "nut" yourself...you know what i mean. can't fully explain it, but the set has mucho sex appeal.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
If you have a 1953 Topps signed Satchel Paige or Jackie Robinson, I'd be happy to trade you a signed T206 for it.

Autographs are not everyone's cup of tea, but their interest level goes beyond signed T206 cards.

Printing anomolies in baseball cards spike wicked high on T206 -- why not other sets?
Here's one way to look at it... you personally have offered $2500+ for any signed T206 not in your collection. Hypothetically, you'd pay over $2500 for a signed Harry Pattee card (likely much more), but if Mr. Pattee had signed a rare program or a vintage ticket, you would never pay that much for his signature. Part of it, as already mentioned, is the mystique of T206, and the crazy people that collect her.

Last edited by CW; 05-30-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would pay $45 for that card.
If I couldn't resell it, I wouldn't. I think the value is principally social, largely driven by this forum and people talking each other up. Just my .02

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Paul

I can follow y'all to a degree, of course. But I'd pay well over $1,000 for a signed E92 or E95 of anyone. Heck, I love my signed T201 collection.

It's parallel, but not the same thing.

@SignedT206
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Errors & pre-production ( scraps, tests, prototypes ) generally carry a hefty premium in most mass-produced collectible fields - stamps, coins, records, toys, books, etc. Why not cards?

Errors, tests and prototypes (proofs) have long carried a premium. I thinks it's a natural evolution that scraps would follow.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Well....

I got halfway through this thread and couldn't read anymore....

I will put my reputation on the line here...

A card of such magnitude would bring 15 K plus in REA with more than 12 bidders at least....maybe 20 bidders...

I could care less what Scott, Peter, or any other hater would say....

Scott, your just pissed off you dumped them years ago for a song.....hurts, but pull up the the big boy pants and move on....

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK
Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

A card of such magnitude would bring 15 K plus in REA with more than 12 bidders at least....maybe 20 bidders...

Scott, your just pissed off you dumped them years ago for a song.....hurts, but pull up the the big boy pants and move on....

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK
Johhny, no need to get riled. Some of us value scraps and errors, some don't. If everyone wanted them I couldn't afford them.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Sean....

It BOTHERS me to no end.....

I have to read constant Griping about the of ignorant board members putting down cards they HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE ABOUT....

uhhhh....is this a wst???? is this a bleed through???uhhhh...i'll give you $40 for it

DUH!!!

I'll take all of them for $45.00 each

SO I AGREE

SEND ME YOUR SCRAP!!!THEY ARE NO GOOD......THEY ARE WORTH ONLY PENNIES

email me and we can work something out.....

These test scraps don't deserve to be in any ignorant collectors possession

JOHN VANDERBECK

JOHN VANDERBECK

Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Sean Costello

Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK

I don't doubt your analysis at all.... what would this card have brought in REA 4 years ago? All I'm saying is that it seems the more recent bidding pool has driven it to that level, and it's not a ton of guys, it's a few here...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Matthew...

in all due respect, you have no clue about the market for these cards....

I have been getting blown up by collectors who didn't see the card, and they i'm sure would have gone balls to the wall, this card would have gone triple possibly.....find another one HA

YOU CAN"T

....and the "thin" market is quite "thickening" by the hour....I almost wish it wasn't occurring....these cards are well outta my reach now....I cannot afford the cards I love, yes it increases the value of my collection, but at this point I really don't care!!

I don't want to sell them(unless wags is around)

Jamie, I haven't heard from you......

I know that card would have went nuts if you joined!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM

Slightly OT...you guys watching these T206 Drums in Legendary?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Slightly OT...you guys watching these T206 Drums in Legendary?
Yep, good times.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Has anyone ever seen a 1933 Goudey like this with multiple stamps like that?
I got my one freak T206 and that is all I really wanted to pay up for.

As for Goudey, there are probably a few around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr319goudeyredruthferrell2x2.jpg (77.2 KB, 240 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Peter, this is so true. Just learned it first hand. I had one bid left to make last night and it wound up occupying a critical slot. I think that in large part helped me out.
What did you pick up, Matt?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

If anyone is in need of a nice graded Drum for 10k let me know...Ill even throw in a blank back of the same player.

Johnny...we know what's up

Error/proof/scrap collectors look at the set different and likely most wont get what we find so special that we will spend thousands to get the ALC junk....I respect that, to each there own. I have never had heart palpitations over a PSA 8...of anything or any other type.....but when I saw that back pic my heart was pounding.....I was nervous for days leading up to the closing. I watched it close as the underbidder and am still a bit upset. All part of the fun of the hunt.

We all likely have cards that do this to us, I sure hope everyone does and we should all respect that....thats the beauty of this hobby....so many types and ways to collect and equally so many different kinds of people...all connected by old cardboard. We are all a little crazy in our own little way.

Last edited by atx840; 05-30-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Chris- don't sell yourself short...it's $12K w/ juice
Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Matt Hall

Johnny, I believe you, since you are the expert. I'm speaking from the outside looking in. I have been around long enough to see the price explode... It happened pretty recently. The price boom happened just as a few new collectors stepped in. I'm sure a few more have stepped in since.

The market takes a specialized eye so I ask you, Why is that card worth 3x more then this one:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=21804
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK
You've seen a lot of scrap, and that's great, but you also toss about huge numbers when discussing them. Since this is a discussion board, I'm discussing my thoughts about those numbers, and quite frankly - they are ridiculous. As far as 'big boy pants', you can take care of your own nether regions, and I'll take care of mine. Diapers, lederhosen - whatever turns you on - I won't say a word.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Default Matthew....

I really don't mean to get so upset when I have to read "scrap" bashing....

and the market for them....

Scott is a true hobby veteran, and knows better....I am disappointed how off he really is and why??

The Mc Graw scrap went SUPER cheap.....

I know who consigned it to REA, and the person expected at least 10 K for it, but it fell real short.....collectors have not even realized the significance of these types of "errors" , in the case of the McGraw, the "test" run of the sheet...actually, multiple sheets.....on the back of this scrap ......there are approx. 15 of these type floating around....an obvious sheet where as the printer was setting up the print runs/ filling ink wells/ aligning sheets/ ect...

printer grabbed the McGraw sheet, but only used the back.....these type, like the McGraw has the player runs horizontal on the sheets offset enough to "piece" together partial sheets....that's why these particular type of scrap are so interesting.....they are essentially "missing puzzle pieces" to the insight of the history/ print design of the sheets ....the clues are lost in time....the McGraw is part of that approx. 10 or so of this "missing " puzzle...Jamie owns 2, Dan owns one, Hank another, ect ect....I AM JEALOUS OF THESE because about 8 years ago, I lost 2 examples on ebay for $400.00 each.....another sickening loss of mine over the years.....anyway, McGraw ACTUALLY WENT FOR LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE......

If you are following any kinds of T206 trends, thesere appreciating exponentially(RARE BACKs, WAGS, PLANK, RARITIES, ECT)...so essentially the same rates of growth apply to the anomalies....

as the collector interest in these particular rarities increase/so does demand/ supply is EXTREMELY short....like stated before, simple economics....there are like I said less that prob 15 like the McGraw.....

take for, example, upside down back(factory cut, not scrap).....much RARER THAN BL 460......'

YES

RARER than BL 460....they will catch up in pricing and exceed inmho as the advanced collector will yearn for SOMETHING different.....

phew...

the reason the McGraw went so cheap, there are a few of these seen over the years but the bidding for that card was Extremely weak......

BRAIN

printer used BOTH SIDES OF THE SCRAP SHEET(most scrap only have the overprints on one side if they are found) to set up the presses.....obviously multiple times both front and backwards and prob twenty or so different set ups for the piedy designated backs.....

after the sheet was abused by the printer, it was tossed aside showing all the battle scars.....inadventanly, the printer actually had created an "alternative" T206 sheet, which miraculously was salvaged either by a garbage picker, or someone at home when the sheet traveled home....

the sheet had survived much brutality to yield a virtually unique T206....unless ther are other survivors off the sheet, the brain is the only survivor from that pyschadelic sheet....

a diamond being produced out of a piece of coal might be a good analogy...

these are truly the future of T206 collecting inmho....

future looks bright
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Matt Hall

Thanks for the explanation, Johnny... So It's unique. It's the only example from it's sheet.

Did anyone get back scans of the rest of the cards? I see a couple in the bottom row that look like they might be hand cut.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 PM

Default Scott....

You were on your way to actually writing the book on these cards....I always, and still do, respect your opinion.....but over the years, you have basically "turned" on these types of cards....I can not figure out why/how since evening owning SOME HUGE CARDS such as the Downey overprint(iv been trying to pry that out of the current owners hands for a few years now).....The Dorner Multi Strike back, and countless other "Huge" scrap/ print anamolies....you know how rare some of these examples are, and the only way I can figure out the animosity toward them is the fact you sold yourself short on them and are having seller's remorse like in the case of you selling the bl 460's....it's no different, but you don't admit it, why?????????? that's why I said to pull up the big boy pants cause I can't take the scrap bashing from a hobby veteran....

I know Peter hates T206 altogether, so I let that alone

but you, I am quite confused that you are still down playing these after all these years???

I know these are all opinions, but if anyone knows about their rarity, it is you...
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott is a true hobby veteran, and knows better....I am disappointed how off he really is and why??
Johnny, it is all very confusing. Luckily, this is just a discussion forum where cardboard collectors toss their opinions around, so no one should lose too much sleep over any of it. My opinion is certainly just that - you could always prove me wrong by getting into a bidding war with one of the 'big boy pants' guys, and turning those numbers of yours into facts.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM

Default Matthew....

any time!! I will gladly try my best to explain why/how these were created and the particular rarity levels....which should directly reflect an approx. market value.....

YES!!!

BRAIN is a ONE of A kind T206(unless another Brain or player arises from that particular sheet salvaged from the garbage/print floor over a hundred years ago is amazing in itself....even is another does come to light, chances are the over prints will be different creating what I have termed "snowflake " scrap....meaning, each scrap is unique unto itself, even originating from the same sheet, they are cut/ struck / offset differently from card to card.....

creating even similar scrap to be unique
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 PM

Default Scott....

I must appoligize for getting so defensive and sensitive about the scrap.....they are truly "misfits" and are mis understood....their rarity is shadowed by factory issued pre planned cards....these scraps are the abstract art anomalies created accidentally as you know and can be SUPER CONFUSING.....but you are one that can help advance the knowledge of them....

I have not been bidding on any because they are very sadly outta reach and it really is killing me. I would have loved to own/ or even bid on the Brain card.....I am very happy for the new owner....and am sorry Chris didn't get it....It took me years to find my Chance CYCLE front no name piedy back overprint....I LOVE THAT CARD....

sorry for my rants tonite!!

PLEASE GET BACK TO US SCOTT
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
You were on your way to actually writing the book on these cards....I always, and still do, respect your opinion.....but over the years, you have basically "turned" on these types of cards....I can not figure out why/how since evening owning SOME HUGE CARDS such as the Downey overprint(iv been trying to pry that out of the current owners hands for a few years now).....The Dorner Multi Strike back, and countless other "Huge" scrap/ print anamolies....you know how rare some of these examples are, and the only way I can figure out the animosity toward them is the fact you sold yourself short on them and are having seller's remorse like in the case of you selling the bl 460's....it's no different, but you don't admit it, why?????????? that's why I said to pull up the big boy pants cause I can't take the scrap bashing from a hobby veteran....

I know Peter hates T206 altogether, so I let that alone

but you, I am quite confused that you are still down playing these after all these years???

I know these are all opinions, but if anyone knows about their rarity, it is you...
Where in the world are you coming up with this stuff? Just because I think the numbers you throw around are rubbish, doesn't mean I have "animosity" toward printer scrap. That's about the weirdest logic I've seen from you yet.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 PM

Default Mathew....

Btw...

no other scrap in the lot...

I have devoted most of my collecting efforts to finding them.....If you ever want an opinion on a scrap, shoot me an email anytime....I will give you an honest opinion.....

LEON

has one of the best scraps, and what I call the ROSETTA T206......which even ties a Ghosted Young and the elusive brown OM....just a breathtaking card!! ties many backs together....even his card only has the multi strike on one side....btw...can you also feed my need for the Matty type I

Chris

I am still upset for you....I think that gem will come your way at the national

wish I was going.....Id buy scott a brew and everyone else

PLEASE POST LEON
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 PM

Default Scott...

I am a freak like the cards I collect

no one can predict what a card will go for at auction......but I have been pretty close on most...

hard to determine on one of a kinds......depends who shows up that day....

but I have felt you downplaying them for quite some time now....why

I know most are ignorant to them, but you have/had somewhat of a clue, what happened??
Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I must appoligize for getting so defensive and sensitive about the scrap.....they are truly "misfits" and are mis understood....their rarity is shadowed by factory issued pre planned cards....these scraps are the abstract art anomalies created accidentally as you know and can be SUPER CONFUSING.....but you are one that can help advance the knowledge of them....

I have not been bidding on any because they are very sadly outta reach and it really is killing me. I would have loved to own/ or even bid on the Brain card.....I am very happy for the new owner....and am sorry Chris didn't get it....It took me years to find my Chance CYCLE front no name piedy back overprint....I LOVE THAT CARD....

sorry for my rants tonite!!

PLEASE GET BACK TO US SCOTT
Johnny, the t206 printing process interests me. But if I didn't want to spend $500 on a piece of scrap ten years ago, why would I want to spend $5,000 for a similar card today? I owned examples of most scrap back then, studied them intently, and published a paper. Since then I haven't seen too much new in that area. I've learned more since then, but acquiring additional knowledge did not require that I spend loads of money - that's mostly due to all the new T206 collectors who have joined the hobby and shared their research with us.

It's a difference of opinion, but if I have $6,000 to spend on a collectible item, and can choose between either the T206 scrap in question, or some of the other things in my collection, it's really a no-brainer.

This thread was about a particular scrap and it's value. I stated my opinion - I have no earthly idea how that turned into you thinking I felt "animosity" toward scraps. I still think they are interesting - I just don't place the same value on them as you and some others. I have been offered pretty good money for a couple of 'error' T206 cards in my collection, and I turned down one offer because I thought it would be stupid for the collector to pay me that much.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I don't personally see it, but maybe these printing error cards are just beginning to reach their potential (in terms of dollar value).

Such "freaks" are even more coveted in stamp and coin collecting, with a far greater premium paid for most examples. Here's one of the more famous ones...

Perhaps Baseball Error Cards are finally starting build some steam and catch up? I believe that these anomalies will become more valuable/desirable with each year that passes (and may not always be so thinly traded).
I have to admit, I do have a fondness for that stamp

Last edited by Runscott; 05-31-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
but I have felt you downplaying them for quite some time now....why
There is a synapse in your brain that isn't connecting correctly: it is taking my disagreement with you over the value of scraps and equating that to me hating scraps. It's really quite a weird logic leap, but I've explained it now in several posts and you aren't getting it.

By the way - no animosity toward you either. I think it's great that you have such a passion for these cards. We should team up as 'card guys' and go attack the game-used collectors. It would be healthier for us.

Last edited by Runscott; 05-31-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 AM

Default Perez....

is hitting it on the head....these will mimic the coin collecting parallel anomalies and stamp error values....just took a little time to catch on with collectors...

Scott,

Of course I respect your opinion.....and again sorry for getting so heated, but I think you do understand my logic....My firing synaps at this level do go nuts when I do hear any scrap getting a bad rap......

stop the scrap hating!

If I was joining you and Chris at the national, I 'd have you hunt me down a few of these beauties that are flying under the radar....

maybe you still can hunt for me Scott there??
Old 05-31-2013, 05:34 AM

I have to say, over the last few years, I also thought the numbers Johnny was throwing around (5K, 8K, 10K, etc) were ridiculous...BUT, we've seen first hand recently with the sales of these scraps/errors that he knew what he was talking about. the prices realized are insane...but they are legit.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Default Mike.....

Thanks my bro....you have been living through it bitter- sweet almost in a way I guess......we used to think it was just a handful after these.....but there are many more joining by the day....I hate throwing around any number, but predictions are directly correlated to supply and demand in simple economic terms(sorry i'm a business school graduate)....the demand will simply increase on these, while the supply will become even tighter as the population realizes their significance to the set, the rarirty, besides the just plain factor....haters keep hatn' i'll keep a lovn'
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

....btw...can you also feed my need for the Matty type I

Just for you Johnny. I love your passion my friend...I suppose this is the type 1....?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Scott S

I don't have an opinion on the T206 scraps, but I am extremely surprised that other sets from the era don't see prices at least in the ballpark for their scrap.

For instance, I bought this E92 missing color on eBay within the past year for $85. If this were a T206, I assume it would be several thousand?

Should the price disparity be THAT big??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e92 stone no color.jpg (76.8 KB, 360 views)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM

Johnny has Type I Cardboardism

...There's no cure.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

We have seen common low grade Drums and RH hitting 10k+ prices, BL350s going to 3k. Two multi strike scraps this year hitting $6500,$7600 a miscut front hitting $4700 and one at $9600. Test prints at 9k. What would Leon's cards go for now? Jeff's miscut Cobb?

Johnny was predicting these prices two years ago when I started. Now they are a reality and we haven't even seen the BIG errors come up yet

Never say never.

For the record I don't own any of these crazy types, I highly dislike these prices and if it meant my error cards market value dropped to 1/4 but so did the rest I would be a happier collector.

Last edited by atx840; 05-31-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Johnny has Type I Cardboardism

...There's no cure.
Love this...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
is hitting it on the head....these will mimic the coin collecting parallel anomalies and stamp error values....just took a little time to catch on with collectors...

Scott,

Of course I respect your opinion.....and again sorry for getting so heated, but I think you do understand my logic....My firing synaps at this level do go nuts when I do hear any scrap getting a bad rap......

stop the scrap hating!

If I was joining you and Chris at the national, I 'd have you hunt me down a few of these beauties that are flying under the radar....

maybe you still can hunt for me Scott there??
I would be afraid to go anywhere near a scrap - someone might kill me to get it, or knowing I had bought one, murder me in my sleep. These things have gotten dangerous.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I don't have an opinion on the T206 scraps, but I am extremely surprised that other sets from the era don't see prices at least in the ballpark for their scrap.

For instance, I bought this E92 missing color on eBay within the past year for $85. If this were a T206, I assume it would be several thousand?

Exactly! If the phenomenon is limited to T206, then it is not scrap collecting -- it is weirdo-T206 collecting. Nothing wrong with that, but even I don't limit my pursuit of signed prewar to T206.

Promotion is a double-edged sword. I love sharing my signed T206 conquests here and on my website. But it certainly has raised interest and prices for these. Good when I go to sell, of course, but bad in the near term.

@SignedT206
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Exactly! If the phenomenon is limited to T206, then it is not scrap collecting -- it is weirdo-T206 collecting. Nothing wrong with that, but even I don't limit my pursuit of signed prewar to T206.

Promotion is a double-edged sword. I love sharing my signed T206 conquests here and on my website. But it certainly has raised interest and prices for these. Good when I go to sell, of course, but bad in the near term.
I like that e92 and would have scooped it up if I noticed it. You are right though, t206 prices for scrap compared to their common counterpart is astronomical compared to other sets. Even t205s get a premium but no where near where its counterpart in the t206 would get. I would think the natural move would be that people that do like scrap but can't afford t206 may navigate to another niche in the t206 world or they will have to go into other sets. So it may be that t206 is just leading the way for other sets.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
pete ullman

This has turned into an interesting debate! I'm still a few steps over to Scott and Peter's side here...it seems ridiculous and irrational that freaks and scraps from other sets of the same era get pretty much no respect as compared to t206. It's a mania...people have gone manic over anything and everything T206...and that's fine...that's good for the hobby I suppose.

But there are tons of other unique/one/close to one of a kind cards...it's gotten to the point where many collectors consider every vintage card to be one of a kind because it's condition and print characteristics are unique to itself alone.

"It's the only sgc 20 with ink blotch by his head in existence!"

I still believe that in no way will the t206 price trend continue well into the future...NO WAY!!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Tony Ooten

This is one of my favorite threads recently (along with the Dots Miller thread).
It seems to have a bit of everything.

One thing I'm curious about; the auction description didn't have a photo of the backs, but several people must've asked for a shot of the backs. Is it the fact that the Brain card had the piedmont print on the front that made people suspect there might be gold on the back?

Loved this by Chris:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
We all likely have cards that do this to us, I sure hope everyone does and we should all respect that....thats the beauty of this hobby....so many types and ways to collect and equally so many different kinds of people...all connected by old cardboard. We are all a little crazy in our own little way.
Johnny I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the printer scraps and the descriptive explanation. Made me sit up and take notice.............. I have a few t206's in my modest monster that I consider uniquely interesting (due to stamps or random handwriting or the like), and I do enjoy those. I can see the attraction.

Leon would you mind posting your t206 printer scrap? I really thought it was cool the first time I saw it and would love to see it one more time.

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by tonyo; 05-31-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

T206 scraps have become their own individual 'set' to collect. It is easy to group them into different types and there are a lot of them compared to other card types. The fact that there are 524 cards in their parent set also makes a big difference. To me it is a no-brainer as to why they get so much attention compared to other scraps. I just don't see some of the non-aesthetically-pleasing ones as being worth so much. But they are to some people, and that's great.