NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Chris

Default Mantle Master Set Variations

Are there any other Mantle Master Set collectors out there? I have a couple of quick questions if you guys don't mind.

Have any of you been able to purchase, or at least seen, the 1962 Post Canadian 163 Hits "4th time" variation? I have yet to see this variation, and it is the last card I need for my Post/Jello subset (I am not looking to buy given a lack of funds right now, but I would love to see a scan or at least get confirmation that it exists).

Was also wondering what your thoughts were on the 1952 Topps variation? Do you view both as required cards for the set? I know it is a personal preference thing, but I am just curious what your arguments are for or against including it. I know I've made some judgment calls myself--don't collect panels or test issues--but have always been on the fence about whether this was needed to complete my Topps Mantle set.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Al Richter

Default Mantle Variation

In the last issue of the SCD Standard Catalog ( 2012)the Mantle variation for the 1952 set was listed, along with the Robinson and Thompson. On all three it lists the variation as the stitching on the back. But there are also front differences on the Mantle, for example a wavy or straight star line, a clipped or full e on the auto, tails or not on the upper borders and pixel or not on left. Here are mine;

I don't think it is included in the PSA master set list

Larry S ( sflayank) may have infor on your other card

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-03-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Chris

Default Thanks!

Thanks Al. I really appreciate you weighing in given your vast knowledge on the subject. I did not know the variation was included in the latest Collectors Digest. I use an older addition and figured if Bob Lemke wasn't including it, and neither was PSA, maybe I could leave it out and still call my set complete. The addition to the Collectors Digest changes things though.

Beautiful cards by the way. Love the PSA 8 (I have that variation but in significantly lesser grade) and the overall look of the ungraded card. Also like the rarer test issue cards I've seen you post in other threads. Very impressive collection.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Henry Nich.ols

Great 52 Mantles Al. Someday I would love to own 1 they are at the top of my list but every time I arrive their something else comes up or low on funds, They sure are beautiful
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1969 TOPPS Mantle color error (or variation ?)

I have (or have had) every Bowman, Topps, Bazooka, Dan Dee, and Post Mantle cards. I still have my 1952 Topps....but, this 1969 Mantle (BLUE
background) appears to be "unique".
I acquired this Mantle card back in the 1986. I have searched for another one with this color for 26 years; and, have not seen one.

I'm wondering if anyone else on this forum has seen this Mantle card with the BLUE background ?

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 11-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Al Richter

Default Blue Mantle

Ted---I have most of his Topps cards, including the W and Y for 69, but have not seen one like that before
Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Chris

Ted, I have been working on the master set for 5 years now, and I have never seen another card like that. Just took a glance through ebay and nothing there either. Beautiful card. It would be interesting to see what PSA would do with it.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Al Richter

Default Mantle

What are the toughest cards in the Master set ?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Chris

Default Master Set

I should start with a quick caveat. I am working on a variation of the PSA Mantle Master Set. I added several cards to the checklist and subtract the following: Yellow Base Path Pin; Key Chain Insert; Topps Salesman Sample; Topps Plak Checklist; Topps Punchout; and all "panel" or "complete box variations." So, I cannot really speak as to the availability of the ones I omitted.

I am currently 150 cards into what will be a 197 card set for me. So far, the toughest cards for me have been as follows:

1. 1960 Topps Tattoo Portrait (seen one in the last year, and didn't have the budget for it)
2. 1964 Topps Tatoo Yellow Band (seen one in the last year, and just lost out on it)
3. 1962 Post Canadian 163 hits, "4th time" variation (have not even seen a scan of this)
4. Exhibit Portrait (only one I've seen is the $2,500 dollar one that's been sitting on ebay for the last year)
5. Exhibit Post Card Back (never seen a copy for sale, so eventually deleted this from my list)
6. 1951 Wheaties Premium Photo (I have seen two copies in the last two years. One was a beater, and the other I significantly overpaid for).
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Al Richter

Default Mantle

I only have Topps stuff

[IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539
/img054.jpg?t=1336665087[/IMG]

Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Chris

Gorgeous cards Al. I particularly like the mask. Once I land my next job, I think I may try to pick up a copy of that as well as his Plak stuff.

I see you have a copy of his "Who am I" issue. Do you by any chance know what PSA's "re-issue with caption" variation is? I purchased a copy of each, and the fronts and backs look identical. I know that certain cards were issued without the coating on the front and the writing in the bubble on the back, like your Ruth, but this does not seem to be the case with this variation. It's had me confused since I picked mine up.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Al Richter

Default Who Am I

Not sure what you are referring to on the variation. I have a scratched and unscratched Ruth from the Who Am I set, and the Ruth from the 1954 Look and See set, which using the same photo, but with different front captions, backs ( and slightly different size).

I am unfamiliar with any "re-issue with caption" variation, and would like to know more
Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Al Richter

Default Who Am I

I do notice that my clean Ruth has no instructions in the bottom of the ? on the back ( it is blank), which differs from the disguised version which does have the instructions
Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I only have Topps stuff

[IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539
/img054.jpg?t=1336665087[/IMG]

Showoff! Did you rob Woody Gelman or something?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Al Richter

Default Woody

No, that was Larry
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Not sure what you are referring to on the variation. I have a scratched and unscratched Ruth from the Who Am I set, and the Ruth from the 1954 Look and See set, which using the same photo, but with different front captions, backs ( and slightly different size).

I am unfamiliar with any "re-issue with caption" variation, and would like to know more
I have scans of the regular next to the "re-issue with caption," but the scans are over the 19.5 KBs permitted by the site. Unfortunately, my computer won't allow me to crop the scans or otherwise reduce them. If you'd like to see them, feel free to PM me your email address and I can send them that way.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 11-10-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default who am i

thats absolutely ridiculous
thats a who am i thats been scratched off
only half the set was reissued without the covering and mantle is not one of them
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
only half the set was reissued without the covering and mantle is not one of them
I didn't think it had been re-issued. The card always mystified me a bit though, given that you could clearly see part of the disguise on it. I could not understand how they had made that mistake. I called them to ask about it and was told something to the extent of, "it must have been a later issue of this card." Kind of surprising. That said, I got a good deal on the card (didn't pay a premium of any kind for the label), and it fits nicely into my collection.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 11-11-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Al Richter

Default Reissues

Larry--other than the Ruth---were any of the other 3 baseball subjects reissued without a disguise ?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
I skimmed eBay and noticed two uncoated Ruth's, both of which had been graded by PSA. Neither of them has the "re-issue" designation. It makes me wonder even further why PSA gave my card the "re-issue" designation, if it is not marking clear re-issues this way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-TOPPS-W...item19d6a06d9d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-TOPPS-W...item19d6a06bbb
Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Al Richter

Default Why OPSA Does What It Does

We should ask Doug G. He often says PSA has good reasons for all the stuff it does
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I should start with a quick caveat. I am working on a variation of the PSA Mantle Master Set. I added several cards to the checklist and subtract the following: Yellow Base Path Pin; Key Chain Insert; Topps Salesman Sample; Topps Plak Checklist; Topps Punchout; and all "panel" or "complete box variations." So, I cannot really speak as to the availability of the ones I omitted.

I am currently 150 cards into what will be a 197 card set for me. So far, the toughest cards for me have been as follows:

1. 1960 Topps Tattoo Portrait (seen one in the last year, and didn't have the budget for it)
2. 1964 Topps Tatoo Yellow Band (seen one in the last year, and just lost out on it)
3. 1962 Post Canadian 163 hits, "4th time" variation (have not even seen a scan of this)
4. Exhibit Portrait (only one I've seen is the $2,500 dollar one that's been sitting on ebay for the last year)
5. Exhibit Post Card Back (never seen a copy for sale, so eventually deleted this from my list)
6. 1951 Wheaties Premium Photo (I have seen two copies in the last two years. One was a beater, and the other I significantly overpaid for).
I have the 1955 Exhibit Postcard Back, and it is the only one I have ever seen in an auction or otherwise. Picked it up for a relative song in a Huggins and Scott auction several years ago, where it was buried near the back of the catalogue (probably because it was "only" SGC Ex+, and the investor crowd would therefore have had little interest). It is, however, a very interesting card.
'55 Exhibit Postcard Backs, per the Standard Catalog, were cards from previous years that were reissued in very limited quantities. Mine has the "Made in USA" legend in the lower right corner, indicating it was originally printed during the 1951-1953 time period, i.e., quite possibly in his rookie year (the photo on the card was taken during the Mick's rookie year). The rarest rookie era Mantle? All in all a keeper, that I likely wouldn't sell for one hundred times what I paid for it!

Good thread and best to all,

Larry
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Chris

Default 1955 Exhibit

Hi Larry,

That's awesome that you were able to find one and get it so cheap! Do you recall by any chance what variation it was? (Mutoscope, no mutoscope line). I read in another post that there were two variations made. Unfortunately, I have not come across either.

I keep hoping I will find one on eBay that is improperly labeled. I think that will be the only way I get an affordable copy. I lucked out and got one of my OPC mantle team cards that way. For some reason, only one of the two team cards is readily available. Finally found this one when it was incorrectly listed as a topps card. I ended up buying it now at a fair price and felt very fortunate to add it to my collection.

I guess I'll have to start watching Huggins and Scott!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Larry

Default 1955 Exhibit Postcard Back Mantle SGC Ex+

Hi, guys. Mine has no mutoscope line. I am looking for the Vern Stephens if anyone has one for sale--his stats with Boston (particularly the 39 HR, 159 RBI year) always impressed me.

Good luck with your collecting. Its finally finding the most challenging cards you're seeking which bring the most pleasure to the collector.

Best regards,

Larry
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Chris

Quote:
Have any of you been able to purchase, or at least seen, the 1962 Post Canadian 163 Hits "4th time" variation? I have yet to see this variation, and it is the last card I need for my Post/Jello subset (I am not looking to buy given a lack of funds right now, but I would love to see a scan or at least get confirmation that it exists).
Just wanted to follow up quickly to confirm that this variation does exist. I finally came across one on ebay. Unfortunately, the seller is asking $3,000 for it, which is probably $2,800 more than the card is worth.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mantle Exhibit Post Card Back

Hi All:

Mantle does come with both the the MUTOSCOPE and plain line versions on the Exhibit Postcard Backs. See below.

PSA or the submitter (is that a word??) did not know enough or chose not to list it as a postcard back for some reason.

In any event I am always looking for these PC backs. My wants and those available to trade are:

EXHIBIT POSTCARD BACK WANTLIST EITHER BACK:

Ritchie Ashburn MADE IN U.S.A., Campanella, Hodgers, Kaline, Kluzewski, Mathews, Musial, Reese, Robinson, Sauer, Snider

NEED W/MUTOSCOPE BACK: Adcock, Atwell, Banks, Baumholtz, Berra, Feller, Gromek, Kellner, Lockman, Mays, McDougald, Mele, Pafko, Porterfield, Schoendienst, Trucks, Waitkus, Woodling, Zernial, Indians Team card

NEED W/O MUTOSCOPE: Baker, Bilko, Doby, Hegan, Irvin, Maglie, Minoso, Mitchell, Stephens,

DUPES: Dropo, Fain (Muto) , Goodman, Groth, Hermanski, Lockman, Schmitz, Trucks, Vernon, Wertz (Muto), Zernial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle PC's0001.jpg (76.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle PC's0002.jpg (72.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Dave

Quote:
Just wanted to follow up quickly to confirm that this variation does exist. I finally came across one on ebay. Unfortunately, the seller is asking $3,000 for it, which is probably $2,800 more than the card is worth.
Yes, it does exist. I have one and I know of another collector who has one. According to Dan W. Mabey's Northern Exposure book it was printed on the back of Post Grape Nuts.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Last edited by MW1; 12-27-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Last edited by MW1; 12-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Chris

MW1,

Thank you for your reply. I am assuming that this card belongs to you? If so, I hope I did not offend you with my assessment of the price. The card is obviously worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it, and I wish you all the best with your sale.

I am curious as to what makes you think that this is a newly discovered variation though? I've spoken with other collectors on the board with extensive post collections who are certain there are only three variations: 1) 153 hits, 2) 163 hits, 4th time in, and 3) 163 hits, 4th time. I have never seen another "163 hits, 4th time" card apart from the one you have listed. Do you have another that you compared yours to? If so, I would love to see it. The type 3 you linked to, is actually a "153 hits" variation. I believe I messaged the seller to confirm, as it is difficult to distinguish between a 5 and 6 in scans of these cards. Please don't take these comments as offensive or rude, just really trying to nail down what variations actually exist. Before your listing, I was not even 100% convinced a "163 hits, 4th time" variation actually existed.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Bestdj777,

I think you're correct -- it's probably the "c" variation (the eBay listing has been changed to reflect this). I find it curious, however, about the pricing structure in most price guides. The "c" variation, at least in the case of the card I have listed, has a back similar to the other short prints in the Canadian Post series (lighter vs. darker). In all the years I've attended conventions in Canada, it is also the only example I have seen.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeaglefan View Post
Yes, it does exist. I have one and I know of another collector who has one. According to Dan W. Mabey's Northern Exposure book it was printed on the back of Post Grape Nuts.
Can you post an image of your card?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
Bestdj777,

I think you're correct -- it's probably the "c" variation (the eBay listing has been changed to reflect this). I find it curious, however, about the pricing structure in most price guides. The "c" variation, at least in the case of the card I have listed, has a back similar to the other short prints in the Canadian Post series (lighter vs. darker). In all the years I've attended conventions in Canada, it is also the only example I have seen.
It's amazing how difficult that card is to find. When I first started looking, I saw that it was comparably priced and always thought it was be just as easy as the others to locate.