NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Scott Levy

Default remove

Plz remove

Last edited by scottglevy; 09-07-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Noel

Default Sgc

I agree...I had heard of this a few days ago and if it is true it is very disturbing. Do you have an article or a link to confirm the info?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Scott Levy

My info comes from the following Daily News article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._disaster.html

Last edited by scottglevy; 09-07-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Did either of you boys read this thread?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=113822
Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Default GAI9 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

A bit vague on this, but about a year or so ago, Dave Forman got sued because he refused to return a GAI9 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card to the person who submitted it for crossover.

Not sure about the details but I know it happened. I'm sure the cyber experts out there can dig up all the details.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM

Just wondering - What exactly did Joe Orlando do that was so wrong?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Mr. Mint!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 AM
D.B. Cooper

Ever read the book, "The Card?"
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 AM

Dave Hall was involved in that - long before Joe Orlando's time.

Plus Bill Mastro former owner of an auction house who somehow can not pay their consigners on a timely basis.

Last edited by WarHoundR69; 07-09-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Default Former Allegations

All I've seen is allegations of what PSA did when it first started.

Current events at SGC are much more disturbing IMHO.

Actually the events described in the book "THE CARD" are a bigger indictment against Bill Mastro & whatever the current shenaginains of the newest Auction House incarnation of those not quite ethical principals then PSA.

No new allegations against PSA

So in the beginning PSA graded one card wrong (MAYBE).

I would rather see that then what Dave Forman is doing.

So what exactly has Joe Orlando done wrong?

Last edited by WarHoundR69; 07-09-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 AM

Joe Orlando organizes a nice luncheon at the National. Perhaps they could have some different selection of vegetables, but other than that nothing wrong
Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Scott

Default hey

lets not turn this into a PSA thing..for once they are not involved....

this is a SGC thing and more answers would be nice...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Peter Wilk

I doubt that $400K is the full extent of Formans sports collection holdings. As he is obviously involved in the hobby, it is very likely that he holds millions of dollars worth of items.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

As noted on the other thread, according to Mastro's complaint (which apparently did not detail all the items Dave consigned), one lot was a PSA graded card and three lots were SGC graded cards.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 AM
pete ullman

"I doubt that $400K is the full extent of Formans sports collection holdings. As he is obviously involved in the hobby, it is very likely that he holds millions of dollars worth of items."

YEAH...ESPECIALLY IF HIS COMPANY GRADED/OVERGRADED THEM!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 AM
James Gallo

Default Mud throwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHoundR69 View Post
A bit vague on this, but about a year or so ago, Dave Forman got sued because he refused to return a GAI9 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card to the person who submitted it for crossover.

Not sure about the details but I know it happened. I'm sure the cyber experts out there can dig up all the details.
Try not to throw mud if you don't know the details.

I forget all the fine points of the suit, but part of the issue was the the card was owned by one of the higher ups at PSA or GAI I believe and they wanted it crossed. SGC said it would not cross. I forget why it get even messier but I do recall the SGC had every right to hold the card IMO as the owner was being a complete ass and wanted a bump SGC didn't feel the card deserved. If anything this would just go to show how honest SGC is.

This was in one of the NY papers probably post of newsday.

As far as what PSA has down wrong, well the complete and total messing up of labeling cards correctly, total lack of customer support and the fact that the card they based thier whole business on is a trimmed card would be starters.

I am sure in the long run we will get more details on Dave.

As for many of the other comments regarding SGC policies they were answered in the other thread.
No employee of SGC can have cards graded and this was something they started roughly a year or two ago. The comments are further detailed in the previous thread so go read through the 5 pages.

James G
Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

James you say don't throw mud and then proceed to throw it at PSA. At least you have now revealed your anti-PSA bias.

I don't understand your take on the Haas lawsuit. He wanted it bumped and was being an ass about it and therefore SGC had the right to keep the card? Could you explain? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM

James- are you somehow defending Forman for keeping the Mantle card because the owner was demanding a bump and SGC didn't feel it deserved one? Why not just say "no" and send the card back?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM

In my opinion, neither is a 'real hobby villain,' only in part because no one is required to use either of their company's services. I'm not aware that either company is overall deficient in their services anyway.

I think Mastro made a poor decision concerning giving credit and in particular concerning shipping before payment, and it's reasonable to have questions about SGC's owner for investing and using SGC for his own grading (If the latter is the case, as I don't know if that's the case. There's a difference between the owner buying cards already graded and submitting cards to be graded.). As far as the $400,000 dispute, I don't know the details of the case so it's premature to comment on that. I just don't see the tag 'real hobby villain' being tagged to anyone with the info that I know. I understand the consignors who haven't been paid and see their items being sold elsewhere are none too happy, and I would be too. If it were my $$ and items in limbo, I'm sure I would be less charitable than I am in this post.

Last edited by drc; 07-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
S Gross

"Bases on balls, you idiot, bases an balls is the cause of all of this." -- Geo. Stallings
Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Ja,mie B.

Default Gallo's Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
Try not to throw mud if you don't know the details.

I forget all the fine points of the suit, but part of the issue was the the card was owned by one of the higher ups at PSA or GAI I believe and they wanted it crossed. SGC said it would not cross. I forget why it get even messier but I do recall the SGC had every right to hold the card IMO as the owner was being a complete ass and wanted a bump SGC didn't feel the card deserved. If anything this would just go to show how honest SGC is.
Can anybody really take this guy seriously?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Mud-throwing aside, thanks for providing my laugh for the day. After starting off with "Try not to throw mud if you don't know the details," we get (in order):
  • "I forget all the fine points of the suit ..."
  • "I believe and they wanted it crossed ..."
  • "I forget why it get even messier ..."
  • "but I do recall ... "
  • "This was in one of the NY papers probably post of newsday."

Upon further review, maybe those nasty details aren't so important after all.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-09-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
marty quinn

i agree with jamie, send them your 52 mantle get in the same situation then come on here and say how happy you are!! i think not, james your apologist stance is distorting any rational thinking....they had the right to keep the card???? that is funny! like i said send them your $100,000 mantle and when they dont return and refuse to, come back here and tell us how excited and happy you are..then and only then i will buy your jive.

comparing mis-labels and and lack of customer support to this is another joke.

Last edited by mightyq; 07-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
James you say don't throw mud and then proceed to throw it at PSA. At least you have now revealed your anti-PSA bias.

I don't understand your take on the Haas lawsuit. He wanted it bumped and was being an ass about it and therefore SGC had the right to keep the card? Could you explain? Thanks.
Peter my reply was speciftic to WarHoundR69 who just said Dave held a card.

There was more involved and I didn't have time to look for the article.

Here it is

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102008...ace_153368.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Mud-throwing aside, thanks for providing my laugh for the day. After starting off with "Try not to throw mud if you don't know the details," we get (in order):
  • "I forget all the fine points of the suit ..."
  • "I believe and they wanted it crossed ..."
  • "but I do recall ... "
  • "This was in one of the NY papers probably post of newsday."

Upon further review, maybe those nasty details aren't so important after all.
Again see above.

There did want it crossed, and the owner was a part owner in GAI, oh and it WAS in the NEW YORK POST.

So I guess all my details were not so far off and that there was basis for Forman to hold the card as he wanted a release signed so that there could be no suit again SGC.

My points were pretty damn on and for those who laughed read the article.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102008...ace_153368.htm

James G
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
James Gallo

Default REad My post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyq View Post
i agree with jamie, send them your 52 mantle get in the same situation then come on here and say how happy you are!! i think not, james your apologist stance is distorting any rational thinking....they had the right to keep the card???? that is funny! like i said send them your $100,000 mantle and when they dont return and refuse to, come back here and tell us how excited and happy you are..then and only then i will buy your jive.

comparing mis-labels and and lack of customer support to this is another joke.
Marty

Read the above post and the NY Post article. SGC wanted an release before they gave up the card which I don't think is unreasonable based on the details provided in the article.

The original posted asked what PSA has done and I just provided some details as to the problems they have had over the years and that there whole company is based on an altered Wagner that they still use as a cornerstone piece. I was not saying they were comparable.

oh and FYI I have plenty of PSA graded cards in my collection. I prefer SGC but I do use PSA and have plenty of PSA stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

I know I'm blushing.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM

Warhoundr69, you may want to read the PSA Nodgrass thread on the old board. That will explain some odd ties between Joe Orlando and the old Mastro House. Dan.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Dan Bretta

I remember that article now and really all it does is bring up more questions about SGC and Dave Forman. Why would a guy who owns a grading company send a card to SGC asking for it to be "fixed" so it will grade a 10? I hate to go all "Frank" on the forum, but IMO the grading companies all suck.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

So someone should waive any claim a card was damaged as a condition of return of a submission? I see.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So someone should waive any claim a card was damaged as a condition of return of a submission? I see.
Peter,

Did you take the whole 5 seconds to read that article.

Haas wanted SGC to fix the card so that it would grade a 10 SGC refused, SGC asked for a release so that Haas would not be able to say that they damaged the card and that is why it isn't a 10.

I have never sent any compant a 300K card, so I don't know how it is handled, but this does not seem like an unreasonalbe request knowing that Hass felt the card should be fixed and should get the 10 grade.

Again I was pretty right on with my facts even though my first response was vague, guess next time I won't rush to post....

James G
Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Dan Bretta

James, why would Haas, an owner of a grading company himself expect another grading company to "fix" his card? Was he just nuts? Was he trying to sabotage SGC?

All of these companies have conflicts of interest (well I don't know much about the folks at Beckett), but SGC, PSA, and GAI all were/are owned by people still collecting and dealing cards. It's not just our industry, but AFA in the toy business has that same conflict of interest. Professional grading companies suck.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

I doubt Joe Orlando would hold a card hostage for a release. Then again, I don't think anyone would ask Joe Orlando his opinion of whether a card could be fixed but still slabbed. Just my opinion.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM

Dave Forman is an owner - not an employee. Big difference, the statement does not apply to Dave Forman.

Now if it said all owners & employees I would buy it.

Plus add all Relatives - no matter how remote.

Edited to add comment re: Relatives

Last edited by WarHoundR69; 07-09-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Jon Canfield

To me, it seems completely unreasonable to ask for a release before returning a card, regardless of value. I'm not trying to take sides here, but if I submit any value card to any company, they have an obligation to treat the card with due care. If they damage my card, I have a good basis for a suit. I would never sign a release that a grading company didn't damage my card. Rather, if I feel they did, the burden of proof is on me to show that the card was damaged. Why would anyone waive this right?