NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Default Greg Morris

Like PWCC, I have suspected shill bidding on their auctions for quite some time. Insane prices for raw cards.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default evidence?

This could get interesting.... In general, I am all for airing shilling concerns but I know Greg Morris has a good reputation with many on this board so it would be nice to have something more definite to work with than your mere accusation- like some evidence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 661fish View Post
Like PWCC, I have suspected shill bidding on their auctions for quite some time. Insane prices for raw cards.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
He is an advertiser but from everything I know about Greg Morris he would never shill bid. Could someone consign and somehow shill without his knowledge, of course. But I would like to see any evidence of shill bidding. He gets great prices because, from everything I have ever seen, he is honest.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:45 PM

I think at the least 661fish needs to put his full name under his post, no?

I have never bought from Greg Morris, and I really don’t know much about them. But - 661fish, your post takes balls (or no brains) and if you are going to publicly accuse someone of shill bidding, you need to put your full name under the post per the rules.

And since I effectively called you stupid, here is my full name (nice to meet you)

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 06-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I think at the least 661fish needs to put his full name under his post, no?

I have never bought from Greg Morris, and I really don’t know much about them. But - 661fish, your post takes balls (or no brains) and if you are going to publicly accuse someone of shill bidding, you need to put your full name under the post per the rules.

And since I effectively called you stupid, here is my full name (nice to meet you)

Ryan Hotchkiss
His name IS under his user ID.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Only part of his name is, unless Fi.tze is a normal last name.

Look, bottom line is that a rule of this board is to give your name if you make a disparaging comment. Mr. Fi.tze made such a comment and thus needs to put his name (or confirm that his last name has a period for the third letter).

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-22-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I had fair results using him. I did not have any of the high bidders on his other consignments bid on my cards. That being said, I dont believe I have ever seen the cards relisted by GM or sold raw by any one else

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Only part of his name is, unless Fi.tze is a normal last name.

Look, bottom line is a rule if this board is to give your name if you make a disparaging comment. Mr. Fi.tze made such a comment and thus needs to put his name (or confirm that his last name has a period for the third letter).
Some people add dots, commas, or other things to their name so the bots don't gather their data. Not sure if it works but that is why it is done.

I will say Mr Morris has accurately graded raw cards. The other part is a matter of opinion on what you call shill bidding.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:20 PM
mark sanders

hi sean-
I see you are from California...
if you live in the los angeles area, this thread might interest you.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270388
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 06-22-2019, 02:48 PM

I will say categorically, we have never, nor will we ever shill our auctions. If we see evidence of a consignor bidding on their own item or any type of suspicious activity whatsoever, that consignor will be prohibited from consigning again.

If the original poster has a concern about a particular auction or series of auctions, please tell me what those are so we have an opportunity to address it.

Greg
Old 06-22-2019, 02:50 PM
Chase

I have bought and consigned with Greg Morris. Happy on all business transacted with them.

Wondering what Se.an Fi.tze's basis is for suspecting shill bidding besides what he deems "insane prices for raw cards". Personally I do not think it is fair to make a post like this absent evidence. Seems irresponsible and reckless as it could harm a reputation that a company worked hard to get.

Someone being successful really should not be a justification to make a post of this nature.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:03 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmorris818 View Post
If we see evidence of a consignor bidding on their own item or any type of suspicious activity whatsoever, that consignor will be prohibited from consigning again.
Just curious: do you look on your own (proactively) or only inspect questionable patterns (reactively)? Do you ever cross-check your bidders against the consignors?
I'm glad to see your policy differs heavily from PWCC's "you are allowed to bid on and even win your own items as long as you intend to pay for them" policy.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have never suspected Greg Morris Auctions of shilling. Rather, I attribute the performance of higher grade raw cards to those who speculate that a given raw card could be an 8, 9, or whatever. Because all high grade raw cards just have to be destined for plastic slabs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I will say categorically, we have never, nor will we ever shill our auctions. If we see evidence of a consignor bidding on their own item or any type of suspicious activity whatsoever, that consignor will be prohibited from consigning again.

If the original poster has a concern about a particular auction or series of auctions, please tell me what those are so we have an opportunity to address it.

Greg
Much nicer than telling him to go pound sand, which would've been justified.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-22-2019, 04:45 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I have bought from Greg Morris many many times and I have zero doubt that they are NOT shill bidding. They have a huge following and they have customers spending good money on what is mostly quality cards. I know I have frequently bid above what I wanted to spend on some of the cards I have bought from them. In several cases, I had run up other bidders high bid because I pushed a card to my spending limit and somebody else bid higher. In addition to great cards being offered, their service is top notch. I can win a card one night and wait to pay for three or four days as I have other bids I am hoping to win and if I am successful they will combine shipping on all the lots I have won in the last week.

Shill bidding with Greg Morris.....nah...I am not seeing it.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
I suspect you are a serial killer. No evidence, just a suspicion.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Thank you for the question. In the interest of transparency, I want to provide some information about our process.

We have three main ways of checking for suspicious activity on consigned cards:

First, we spot-check active auctions when prices seem to be getting much higher than we anticipated. We're also fortunate to have a very engaged customer base, and will often get messages if there are concerns about a specific auction, which allows us to check it out.

Second, we monitor bid retractions through messages that eBay sends us or if someone raises a concern. If we come across an account that has suspicious retractions we report them to eBay and block them.

Third, we look at unpaid wins on all consigned cards. If we connect an unpaid card with a consignor, the consignor is banned. The most challenging type of activity to detect is of course the possibility that a consignor could win cards through a proxy and then pay for them, which we also prohibit.

Lastly, please keep in mind that the three issues I discussed above have many nuances to them. I just wanted to give an overview.

Thank you to everyone who has voiced support for my business. I take accusations like this very seriously. I welcome the opportunity to defend myself, so if anyone has a specific auction they want to address, please message me. I'm not claiming we have a perfect system, and we can always do better, but I truly believe that we do an effective job at making sure our auctions are on the up and up.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Thanks, Greg. Looks like you're doing the right things.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:10 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Thanks, Greg. Looks like you're doing the right things.
It's almost amusing that a guy has to defend himself when he has customers who are happy to pay good prices for his merchandise. The simplest explanation is that Greg has good stuff, treats people well, has built and earned a large customer base who trust him, and that customers are willing to pay for good quality and service.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, it does seem bizarre when cards he accurately describes as NM-MT and wouldn't grade higher by PSA (as far as I can tell) get bid up to PSA 9 prices, despite being raw. I know that's when it has been alleged in the past. Either his customers are bad at grading for themselves, or don't know the "right" card values, some of the auction prices are head-scratchers.

Greg, how many cards have you sold to Moser and the other 12-ish trimmers outed in the hobby this year? Do you still have the front and back scans you could provide to the blowout guys to help them find more fraudulently slabbed cards?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Thank you for the question. In the interest of transparency, I want to provide some information about our process.

First, we spot-check active auctions when prices seem to be getting much higher than we anticipated. We're also fortunate to have a very engaged customer base, and will often get messages if there are concerns about a specific auction, which allows us to check it out.

Second, we monitor bid retractions through messages that eBay sends us or if someone raises a concern. If we come across an account that has suspicious retractions we report them to eBay and block them.

Third, we look at unpaid wins on all consigned cards. If we connect an unpaid card with a consignor, the consignor is banned. The most challenging type of activity to detect is of course the possibility that a consignor could win cards through a proxy and then pay for them, which we also prohibit.

Lastly, please keep in mind that the three issues I discussed above have many nuances to them. I just wanted to give an overview.

Thank you to everyone who has voiced support for my business. I take accusations like this very seriously. I welcome the opportunity to defend myself, so if anyone has a specific auction they want to address, please message me. I'm not claiming we have a perfect system, and we can always do better, but I truly believe that we do an effective job at making sure our auctions are on the up and up.
Greg, thank you for the great response.

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 06-22-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Jeff H

My transactions with Greg Morris have all been positive. The service has been top notch and I have been happy with the cards received.
As for shill bidders I understand that they can drive a price higher, but I bid at the end of an auction with a price I am willing to pay nothing more. If I win, great. If i don't, I just move on. If a shill bidder drives me to my max bid so be it, but I will not try to out bid them.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:10 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I'll just add that I've purchased quite a few cards from GMC, though no really high $$ ones. Mostly cards to help finishing up a couple of sets.

I have found Greg's grading to be consistent, accurate and as good if not better than any other seller on eBay. And as another poster mentioned, I frequently take advantage of his 'one shipping fee (usually $3) for for any cards won within a seven day period'.

Yes, he gets strong prices for highly graded cards, but I attribute that to the confidence that his customers have in his business. That the card is graded accurately, shipped securely, and without hassle.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-22-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

N of 1, but right after Baines made the Hall and his PSA 9s were selling up near 200, I bought a raw one graded by Greg as NM MT or better (it was) for around 30.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:39 AM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

I apologize to Greg Morris. I have bought many cards from them and for the most part grading was right on, sometimes a little overgraded, but a lot more consistent than PSA. They do get a premium for raw cards. So yes, I have been suspicious and did assume. I think back to when an exmt 57 Mantle sold for over 2k. That had made me suspicious. Again my apologies to Greg Morris.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:21 AM
Patrick N.

Default Gmc

I think people need to be WAY more responsible of throwing out accusations/ideas out there based on scant "evidence", "hunches", etc. Imagine as a seller if you spent a ton of sweat equity building a strong reputation but a poster can just toss your name in the ring as a potential bad actor? It's just not fair, and would bother me big time.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I think people need to be WAY more responsible of throwing out accusations/ideas out there based on scant "evidence", "hunches", etc. Imagine as a seller if you spent a ton of sweat equity building a strong reputation but a poster can just toss your name in the ring as a potential bad actor? It's just not fair, and would bother me big time.
I agree 100%!

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Just my two-cents worth ...

I’ve only bid on cards in Greg’s auctions six times.The outcome of those auctions were pretty much discussed on the board and all I can say is that Greg’s actions and reactions were not those of a dishonest or unscrupulous business man. Yes, Greg’s cards sell well. Seems all cards sell well now. But he is one of the good guys, doing his best to keep card collecting, whether a hobby or a business for the rest of us, enjoyable for everyone involved.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I have bought many cards from Greg Morris and have never suspected shill bidding. Their raw grading usually comes back from PSA as they described. I continue to buy from Greg Morris as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 11:15 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Very well said!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Gmc

I have bought a few raw cards from GMC and have been totally satisfied with the transactions. One of the better sellers on ebay.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:24 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I bid/buy a lot of cards from Greg Morris and have a relatively high bid percentage with them. Why?

I do a lot of 50’s/60’s set building and he does multiple set breaks of the same set in a given week. He gives me a week to make as many purchases as I want and charges me the same shipping rate. So when I open the Greg Morris (can of worms) as I like to call it, I bid on a ton of stuff that week. I’m also willing to pay 10-15% more with them because I always get an accurate grade, combined shipping, and the convenience of looking at the cards I need in a given break in number order etc.

I’ve paid less with other sellers and done well. I’ve also been burned on false advertising of condition and will pay more with Greg Morris.

I’ve never consigned with them, retracted a bid, or returned an item.

Thanks Greg for being a great eBay seller.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 AM
B.ob L.amb

In the last few months I have bought a number of cards to sets I’m working on and didn’t feel that I overpaid to get them. Granted most of these were commons under $5 but even the stars I bought I thought I got at a good price.

Bob
Old 06-24-2019, 06:25 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He is an advertiser but from everything I know about Greg Morris he would never shill bid. Could someone consign and somehow shill without his knowledge, of course. But I would like to see any evidence of shill bidding. He gets great prices because, from everything I have ever seen, he is honest.
I am honest and my prices suck...lol (at least for me....I am sure for buyers that they are great).

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 06-24-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
I bid/buy a lot of cards from Greg Morris and have a relatively high bid percentage with them. Why?

I do a lot of 50’s/60’s set building and he does multiple set breaks of the same set in a given week. He gives me a week to make as many purchases as I want and charges me the same shipping rate. So when I open the Greg Morris (can of worms) as I like to call it, I bid on a ton of stuff that week. I’m also willing to pay 10-15% more with them because I always get an accurate grade, combined shipping, and the convenience of looking at the cards I need in a given break in number order etc.

I’ve paid less with other sellers and done well. I’ve also been burned on false advertising of condition and will pay more with Greg Morris.

I’ve never consigned with them, retracted a bid, or returned an item.

Thanks Greg for being a great eBay seller.
This....this is more than likely the cause. The combined flat rate shipping option is huge.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 AM

I was introduced to Greg Morris from the banner on this board and have bought many cards from him and every single time I have left him the highest feedback. Like others have said, he allows you to bid on auctions for a week, combines shipping and his shipping costs are fantastic, particularly for us up in Canada. Accusations without evidence is dangerous and the bar should be set high and Peter Spaeth is an excellent example of providing evidence. I was so impressed with everyone's response I just wanted to add my support to Greg. To Sean I just want to say thank you for the apology. To me it shows integrity.

This is a fantastic forum, thanks Leon!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:03 AM
And*y Quig!ey

My 2 cents.
If the original post (#1) was made without adequate basis, you should revise it to reflect this fact.
I acknowledge that many will read the posts down to #25, but some may not.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajquigs View Post
My 2 cents.
If the original post (#1) was made without adequate basis, you should revise it to reflect this fact.
I acknowledge that many will read the posts down to #25, but some may not.
I agree. This is fd up if completely unfounded with no evidence. His name in subject line? Ufta..

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 06-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Thanks Greg, If you weren't in CA, I would have considered buying from you more than I did. Buying high$ cards living in CA from you was not in the cards... "Get it, in the cards, I made a funny boy. Listen to me when I'm talkin to you"

I'm not buying another card in my lifetime so you were right to block me when I told you I wasn't paying the 10% CA tax. Thanks again for the memories.

I would like to add I never felt shill bidded on your auctions like I did Brent Mastro's.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 PM
Scott Duguid

I’m not sure how big Greg’s market is in Canada but the $3.00 shipping for as many cards as I end up buying can’t be beat. Saved a lot of cash and I’m willing to pay more for the cards.

I got what I considered a great price on a high end hockey card a while back and though some of the prices are sky high there are also deals to be had.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

As a Topps era set builder, I have made hundreds if not a thousand purchases from GMC and have always been satisfied. More accurate and consistent graders than the TPG companies and a lot better customer service and shipping services. I have never observed any shady bidding practices just a large following of collectors who sometimes big high on a card they really want and then someone else comes along who wants it even more. Example: some followers seem to love the 1964 Mike Joyce card and over buy 3xs value; no one is shill bidding all of these but several folks seem to really want them.

GMC simply the bets option for set and subset builders. Thanks for making it easy on our dying breed.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedin26 View Post
I’m not sure how big Greg’s market is in Canada but the $3.00 shipping for as many cards as I end up buying can’t be beat. Saved a lot of cash and I’m willing to pay more for the cards.

I got what I considered a great price on a high end hockey card a while back and though some of the prices are sky high there are also deals to be had.
I agree. I have purchased many cards from GM and I am always pleased when I receive my cards.

Like I said sometime ago, if and when the time ever comes to consign my collection, GM will likely be the place that I send them too.

Imo, many places could learn from GM.