NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Graig Kreindler

Great stuff so far, guys!!

I won this glass negative last night in one of Legendary's eBay auctions:

The image isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but I think it will make an excellent painting because of the story.

The scene dates from August 14, 1929, and the Tigers are holding 'Charlie Gehringer Day' for their young second baseman. In the Charles Conlon book, Gehringer's persona is alluded to in an anecdote (which is later expounded upon on Wikipedia:

"His unassuming nature is also reflected in his reaction to a "Charlie Gehringer Day" held by the Tigers in 1929. Fans from Gehringer’s hometown and throughout Detroit filled the stands for a 17-13 win over the Yankees. Gehringer handled 10 chances at second base, had four hits including a home run, and stole home. In a ceremony, the people of Fowlerville presented Gehringer with a set of golf clubs. Though the clubs were right-handed, and Gehringer was left-handed, Gehringer learned to golf right-handed rather than trade for a left-handed set of clubs."

You'll see the bag of clubs towards the right of the image.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Great stuff so far, guys!!

I won this glass negative last night in one of Legendary's eBay auctions:

The image isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but I think it will make an excellent painting because of the story.

The scene dates from August 14, 1929, and the Tigers are holding 'Charlie Gehringer Day' for their young second baseman. In the Charles Conlon book, Gehringer's persona is alluded to in an anecdote (which is later expounded upon on Wikipedia:

"His unassuming nature is also reflected in his reaction to a "Charlie Gehringer Day" held by the Tigers in 1929. Fans from Gehringer’s hometown and throughout Detroit filled the stands for a 17-13 win over the Yankees. Gehringer handled 10 chances at second base, had four hits including a home run, and stole home. In a ceremony, the people of Fowlerville presented Gehringer with a set of golf clubs. Though the clubs were right-handed, and Gehringer was left-handed, Gehringer learned to golf right-handed rather than trade for a left-handed set of clubs."

You'll see the bag of clubs towards the right of the image.
Good stuff Gregorious!!!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Thanks Mike and Jimmy for the kind words.
As with most of us, it is a labor of love.

Jimmy,
I think you should change your screen name to the "king of companion items."
I have never seen so much stuff collected that fit together so well. Collecting all of the same set of some collectible is a natural, but you have really broadened the completist collecting idea on the memorabilia side.

great job all.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Sean Brennan

good job Mark!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Mike H.

Default Cubs clicker

This isn't the most exciting piece, but I don't know if I've seen another. It's about 3" long.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'm not deeply into the "games" aspect of the hobby, but just couldn't resist this one. The early graphics are amazing, and the condition has to make it one of the best extant.

The game is from 1908, and includes the original pieces and pamphlet (which contains ringing endorsements from the likes of Hughie Jennings, High Pockets Kelly, Fred Clarke, etc.) It also says things like "the most realistic baseball game ever created", and "will keep your boys in the home and off the streets". Hyperbole that you would never see today...

I still haven't figured out how to play, as it seems that home run (up the ramps) or out (in the hole cutouts) are the only options. Not sure how you would score a single, double or triple. If anyone knows, please post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spaldings 124.jpg (76.3 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg Spaldings 128.jpg (79.4 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg Spaldings 131.jpg (77.7 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg Spaldings 127.jpg (76.9 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg Spaldings 118.jpg (76.8 KB, 488 views)
Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Scott

Innocent fun for every Boy..hahahahahah.

Awesome looking game. Maybe its like home run derby, HR or out, but obviously that wouldn't give the "realism" they are pushing.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Mike Dugan

What a great game! I'll bet Dr. Mark Cooper has the instruction sheet. I don't know how to contact him but a few years ago I lost a bidding war on eBay for a copy of The National Pastime game. After the auction we exchanged several very pleasent emails through eBay. At last notice he was a radiologist at Methodist Hospital in Philadelphia. Seems like a nice fellow and his book on baseball games is one of my favorites.