NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Tim

What do you guys think about this one? Genuine?? Very doubtful, huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Drum-Cigarette-pack-tobacco-wrappers-T205-T206-baseball_W0QQitemZ320346273325QQihZ011QQcategoryZ8 6841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Not at all.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Red

Tobacco wrappers sounds more valuable than rolling papers.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Tim

Thought this was a bunch of hocum.....see seller's other items. Sheeeeesh!!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: David Smith

Shocking. The seller has a 98.3 Feed Back rating and is from Ohio.

David

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: NYHighlanderFan

Until someone shows me a Drum Cigarette box from the 20th century I'm not buying it...or until someone shows me an ATC Drum Cigarette pack, not a Drummond Tobacco of St.Louis pack like the half of a lid from 1890 that somehow is being associated with the ATC brand of 20 years later.

A Drum pouch in my collection has a 1910 tax stamp on it with no overstamp. So your theory that these were not from the T206 era is hogwash.

At the 2007 National, I had several established cigarette card dealers appraise the pouch in my collection. No names please...but why would they all tell me otherwise??

Sorry for slamming your theory of the T206 cards being boxed and not stuffed in a pouch like Polar Bear and Honest Long Cut cards. But until a 1910 Drum Cigarette box comes from an attic, I'm not believing it.

Heck...look at how the word Drum is written. It's almost identical to the back of the cards.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Jon Canfield

1910 tax stamps were used until 1916 plus you are comparing cigarette tax stamps (with overprints) to tobacco tax stamps - two different creatures - not hogwash but pure fact. A quick google search will show this.

Also, cigarette packs are nothing like cigarette cards. If I were selling an extremely rare cigarette pack, I would trust the opinion of a respected cigarette pack collector, either in the baseball card hobby or outside, to render an accurate opinion. Why even ask a baseball card collector? It's like asking a car dealer to do my next surgery. I'm unaware of any respected cigarette pack collector who believes Drum cigarette pouches have anything to do with the cards other than being produced by the same company that produced Drum Cigarette packs which the cards were packaged in.

Everyone is entitled to each's own opinion. That is absolutely fine and certainly I can respect other's opinions. However, I am frequently consulted on cigarette packs and absolutely will say without hesitation that Drum tobacco pouches have NOTHING to do with the distribution of cards. I also think that despite the numerous cigarette pack collectors out there, the fact that Drum pouches barely sell for $50.00, when even a common Sweet Caporal cigarette box from the T206 era will demand $100-$200, clearly shows who collectors tend to agree with more.

=============================

Edited to respond to your quotes in the other post (I think it's best we only keep one post on this subject going). Of course Drummond wasn't around in 1910 - it was sold to the American Tobacco Company in 1898 which carried forward only a few brands, Drum being one of those brands (another being Cannon and Chesterfield being the biggest brand carried forward).

Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Why would Mr. Luckey display a Drum pouch in his online collection? I've never met him but I would definitely respect his insight.

I would say asking a tobacco card dealer about a tobacco pack would be the equivalent of asking an orthopaedic surgeon about cardiovascular surgery...they'll certainly know enough about it. But a car dealer certainly won't! It's not like I was getting the pouch appraised by a Starting Lineup/McFarlane/Hartland dealers!!

Here's a link to a page with a 1909 Drum pouch on it...they didn't use those stamps beyond 1911...
http://www.cardpricer.com/card_images/index.php?dir=Miscell%2FPacksWraps%2F

I wish there was someone around who was actually alive and smoked the stuff!!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'd never been to that Cardpricer stuff until just now. I looked at the Drum bag, it looks ok. And I looked at the Fatima image, it showed a tin and a box. I think the Fatima cards we collect, the little T200s and the T222s, came in a bigger box that held about 300 cigarettes. So what they're showing isn't what the cards came in... anyone agree with that?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Shown on that link is the larger 2.5oz size pouch. The smaller pouch, like the one currently on ebay that was graded by GAI, is only a one ounce size. There's no way cards came in the smaller pouch.

I'll be the first one to question GAI. Cards wouldn't fit inside those little pouches without damage. But they definitely would fit comfortably in the larger size pouches!