NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Default Negro League Baseball Books

Posted By: Jason Mishelow

Over the past couple of months I have been able to pick up a number of Negro league Titles at reasonable prices for thier rariety. Below is a scan of two recent picks The Negro in Sports (1949) and 20 years too soon (1977). Both are incredible reading. "Negro in Sports one of the few titles that deal extensively with the Negro leagues while they were still opperating and 20 years may be one oif the first books actually written (not ghoasted) by a former player. I would highly recommend both books ( 20 years has been republished in paperback.

I would also ask board members to comment on any Negro League books they would recommend. I'm especially interested if any one has read any of the Rube Foster books

[linked image]

P.S. These books were purchsed with a portion of the sale proceeds of my copy of Palmer's "athletic sports" which just sold on Ebay for $440 showing that the book market isn't quite dead yet

Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Here's A Man and His Diamonds, a hard to find title

[linked image]

plus some other scans

[linked image] [linked image]

[linked image]

Max

Old 04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Jason,

Put your email in when you post, (or send me an email privately) and I can send you an electronic version of this magazine. It's about 24 pages including the 4 pages of covers so it will probably take me two emails due to my IP's limitations.

(I'll also send one to anyone else who wishes.)

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

We have been distinguished collectors of Negro League books, scorecards and assorted memorabila
for than 30 years

1. We suggest you begin your quest by contacting the Information/Research Department at the Negro
League Museum in Kansas City

2. If you are in or near New York City- there is a branch of the Public Library in Harlem which contains a
number of exceptionally rare books about Negro Baseball- including Sol White's 1907 classic, "Colored Baseball"

Reprints of this book are frequently available on the web.

3. Other must reads include Robert Pearson's award winning classic, "Only The Ball Was White"

4. Negro Baseball Before Integration by the only woman in the Hall of Fame- Efra Manley

5. Histoia Baseball Professional De Cuba (en espabol) -1949- rare - many photos and background stories on Negro League Stars

6. A Complete History of the Negro Leagues- Birch Lane Publishers a division of Carol Press

7. The classic three 1947- Negro League Yearbooks-you should be able to purchase all three for about $1200.

8. The Kansas City Monarchs- University of Kansas Press 1985- by Janet Bruce

9. The Indianapolis ABCs and The Pittsburgh Crawfords (two different books)- go to Macfarland Publishing web

10. Numerous biographies published in the mid and late 1990's on Satchel Page and Josh Gibson

With all good wishes

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Thanks for the help so far

To Max- I know that you have said that you judge books by how they will look in your bookcase- but I have a quess that you have read most of the books in your possession (kids fiction excepted) and was wondering how the content is in the Rube Foster and Doc Young Books

To Jim please email me at jasonmishelow@sbcglobal.net. I would very much appreciate seeing the full issue and ask where in the world you found this item.

Thanks also to Bruce-some day I'll have to get to that NYL branch and see the collection

Old 04-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jason

I've read most of the Negro League and related books--Great Negro Baseball Stars being the exception. I read Whitehead a number of years ago, but I don't recall it as an extremely well written book, but that just might be my bad memory.

Max

Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Noel

Default Negro League Books

First off, thanks to everyone who posted here--I will be looking to pick up several of these books/pubs in the near future. Here are a few that i have really enjoyed:

1) Blackball Stars--Negro League Pioneers by Holway

2) Cuban Baseball--A Statistical History 1878-1961 by Figueredo

3) Complete Book of Baseballs Negro Leagues (The most comprehensive resource for statistics i have read so far--also contains forward by Buck Oneil and afterword by Ted Williams) by Holway

4) The Negro Baseball Leagues--A Photographic History by Phil Dixon

There are many more. The most recent one that comes to mind is Shades of Glory.

Thanks again for the great resources and Jim, i would be thrilled if you could send me an E-version of the program as well.

whyaskwrye@yahoo.com

I would have emailed privately but could not find the link.